Are there any plausible pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact theories?

Are there any plausible pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact theories?

Or are they all conspiratard garbage?

Other urls found in this thread:

cjohnson-shs.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/6/1/16615480/1493-the_true_importance_of_christopher_columbus-lies_my_teacher_told_me_ch1.pdf
amazon.de/Wurde-Amerika-Antike-entdeckt-Chachapoya/dp/3406645208
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana
news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/evidence-of-pre-columbus-trade-found-in-alaska-house-15042.htm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Basque_whaling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice homework question.

Well, the Vikings are documented to have done it.

That's academically accepted fact.

It's probable that the Polynesians had contact with the peoples of South America. There is linguistic and genetic evidence to suggest this.

Other than that, it's mostly pseudoarchaeology

You just tried to gt that answer from a different thread you just posted >.

Vikings.

The Vikings and probably the Japanese around the same time period making contact with what is now the American West. No evidence that the Chinese did it like is theorized in that meme book or the Romans.

Ask a Mormon, they gave some intere-
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
sorry, I can't say that with a straight face

This, I tend to think the evidence is pretty solid for Polynesian contact
The Japanese influence is based on pretty strenuous evidence and really, really unlikely

The Songhi? Or is africa just irrelevant?

From "Lies my Teacher Told Me," p. 39:
Although seafarers from Africa and Asia may also have made it to the
Americas, they never make it into history textbooks. The best known are the
voyages of the Afro-Phoenicians, probably launched from Morocco but ultimately
from Egypt, that are said to have reached the Atlantic coast of Mexico in
about 750 B.C. Organic material associated with colossal heads of basalt that
stand along the eastern coast of Mexico stand has been dated to around 750
B.C. The stone heads are realistic portraits of West Africans, according to the
anthropologist Ivan Van Sertima, who has done much to bring these images into
popular consciousness.

cjohnson-shs.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/6/1/16615480/1493-the_true_importance_of_christopher_columbus-lies_my_teacher_told_me_ch1.pdf

>according to the anthropologist Ivan Van Sertima

Vikings aside, the only credible possibility would be with the Polynesians.

Hans Giffhorn wrote a book about how Celts and Carthagians might have made it to Brazil and sailed up the amazon and reached Peru.

amazon.de/Wurde-Amerika-Antike-entdeckt-Chachapoya/dp/3406645208

Sounds quite convincing to me, but im no historian.

The Vikings and the Chinese (coincidentally shortly before Columbus) made it to America. Also, it's pretty likely that some polynesian groups ended up ocassionally in the southamerican coasts.

That's pretty much it.

Then there's a multitude of stories about a number of other people somehow getting there too, from phoenicians to egyptians to irish monks, but all that belongs to the same storyboard of ayyliens and lizard people theories.

Africa is just irrelevant. Songhai and the other African "empires" are anthropology memes to feed egalitarianism. City states with dubious control over events around them.

>that are said to have reached the atlantic coast of mexico in around 750 bc.
Said by whom? Ivan van Sertima?

The trouble is that many, many things are "possible", but without real proof it's very hard to know.

I read that someone found amphoras at the bottom of Guanabara bay.

There is genetic evidence that Cro-Magnon Caucasoids got to north America some time in the ice age.

the chinese theory is bogus.

Pretty sure that's populations from russia going both east and west, not an oceanic voyage.

>Chinese
Menzies gtfo.

It's almost universally accepted that vikings reached Greenland, Baffin Island and Easter Canada.
There's strong evidence of Polynesian contact around the south-western coast of South America.
I think Basques ocassionally reaching Newfoundland chasing whales it's also kinda plausible.

Well, apparently polynesians gave south americans a weird looking chicken breed, so there's that:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana

>City states with dubious control over events around them

By this definition the Puritans weren't part of the British Empire. Pretty shitty 2bh.

news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/evidence-of-pre-columbus-trade-found-in-alaska-house-15042.htm

Alaskan natives getting their hands on Asian manufactured bronze.

No that's inconclusive.

Sweet potato are confirmed though.

Norse and Polynesians, that's it.

>chasing whales thousands of miles across the Atlantic ocean.
>plausible

The fuck am I reading?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Basque_whaling

Plausible as in they possessed boats that could do it or plausible as in they probably did it?

Vinland.

Basically what everyone else itt said.

We know FOR SURE of at least 1 viking settlement with 1-2 others extremely likely.

Polynesian contact with SA is also extremely likely but not conclusive.

Chinese theory is a meme - they had the technology but not the desire.

I would honestly be pretty surprised if nobody else did it but definitive proofs for such small scale contact would be hard to come by. When you think about such time scales the idea that at least 1 other boat didn't make a 1 way trip I find harder to believe than the alternative. We'll likely never know though.