>Rome was founded by Aeneis after he headed west following the fall of Troy

Well....which is it?!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutus_of_Troy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is very clearly explained in Livy's Early History of Rome

but I forgot how he explained it

Romulus and Remus were descendants of Aeneis, who didn't found Rome itself

Damn. I'm sure there is an explanation but I don't know it.

From what I've read Aeneis' ancestors reach down to Numitor who was the grandfather of Romulus and Remus....but then that doesn't explain how Rome was founded twice

Someone please tell me!

Oh...so (shitty analogy coming up)

So like....Aeneis is Christopher Columbus and Romulus and Remus are George Washington?

Something like that but much less retarded?

Something like that.
Or Aenias was Charles Martel and the twins were charlememe

From what I can remember (and a quick scan of Wikipedia) Aeneas founded Lavinium (a village near Rome) and his son Ascanius founded Alba Longa, from which's line of kings Romulus and Remus descend

But I wouldn't worry about it, a lot of Greek/Roman mythology was inconsistent, with writers using various retcons to make it consistent

OoOoOOOOOoooh

So...Aeneis is more like Rome's founders ancestor and not the actual founder of rome itself?

but...in the Aeneid we have a list of all these old Roman kings before Romulus and Remus. How can their be kings of Rome with no Rome?

Romulus and Remus are descendants of Aeneas of Troy. When Aeneas fled Troy and settled in Italy he founded the city of Alba Longa which is where the twins were born but they were ousted at birth to hide them from their tyrannical uncle.

There kings of alba longa a (alleged) city in latium that Rome eventually conquered. The Julius eventually moved to Rome and joined the nobility there

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. This makes sense. I was confused, thinking Latinus was the only non "roman"

ok ok, this is coming together in my brain much better now.

Thanks kind anons

>Aeneas of Troy
Fuck that Oddyseus rip off.
And fuck Oggy.

But the same user but I'm pretty sure they made up the Aeneas bit later. I'm sure it was like a "breaking news: most Romans related to famous Trojan refugee" kind of deal.

It's pretty fascinating actually how they manufactured a mythos that put them as the natural conquerors of the world. Even added the bit where their progenitor cucked all of Carthage

The Aeneid is actually a much better and more cohesive poem. Of course it is "just a derivative." But if you put it within its context is amazing what it did and is just an amazing poem regardless

Dido X Aeneas OTP.
I don't know, the romans are such greekaboos that I can't really respect their myths. But, of course, I can't deny that is a really amazing poem.

>Founder of rome literally fucked the funder of carthage
CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

>Thinking it's an odyssey ripoff, doesn't even know the last seven books are like the Ilyas.
>Doesn't even know vergilius openly honored them by making the aeneis
>not even knowing his Arma verumque cano

>unfinished
>more cohesive

Beep Beep worst Homer-based founding myth comin' through a thousand years after these gay myths were in vogue:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutus_of_Troy

They ancients didn't fucking finish anything, the Odyssey for example has a tacked on ending according to some scholars

Also Virgil was one many whereas Homer is just a meme

Maybe there was more than one person back then, and just maybe since it was hard to keep information on one straight track more than one origin story ended up being popular among different people
I mean they're just legends user. Don't have to take mythology so seriously.

W E
E

The Bible has two foundation myths, too.

>God made everything

>God flooded it all

>Did it again