Were there ever a more loveable bunch of shitflinging rebels than the IRA?

Were there ever a more loveable bunch of shitflinging rebels than the IRA?

>All those catchy as fuck anti-British songs
>wacky IRA antics in between kneecappings and bombs
>The absolutely infinite salt of unionists and brits

I wish I was irish

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ORifieiZiP4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankill_Butchers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know why the Irish have such a good reputation abroad if they're some of the scummiest, trashiest and dumbest people in Europe. Literally only Albanians are more retarded.

You're basically heaping praise upon papist ISIS.

>Targetting civillians
>Lovable

I want americans to leave

People doestn like English that much.

Right after you leave Ireland

Best Terrorist Group ever:
>The FWA first appeared in public at a 1965 protest against the construction of the Llyn Celyn reservoir.[1] In 1966 they took part in Irish celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising, marching in Dublin.[2] A 1967 interview with David Frost brought the group to the attention of a wider audience.[3] The group courted publicity,[1] and its leaders attracted a great deal of media attention with extravagant claims of financial support from millionaires, "links with the IRA and Basque separatists," dogs trained to carry explosives, etc.[4] Members wore home-made uniforms and marched in historic sites like Machynlleth, as well as carrying out manoeuvres with small arms and explosives in the Welsh countryside and claiming responsibility for many of Mudiad Amddiffyn Cymru's bombings.[3][4][5] They also advocated for families of victims of the Aberfan disaster whose compensation claims were being blocked, "marching on their behalf and working behind the scenes for them."[1][4]

>The group was generally not taken seriously by the media,[1] and one government memo warned against "taking the organisation's activities too seriously" saying this "would give to it an unmerited importance and publicity which its leaders are plainly seeking".[6] However, against a backdrop of Welsh nationalist bombings and protests against the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales the FWA presented an appealing target to the government, and in 1969 nine members were arrested and charged with public order offences.[4][5] The trial, in Swansea, lasted 53 days, ending on the day of the investiture.[5] On the first day of the trial the defendants were "greeted with an impromptu recital of Land of My Fathers from the public gallery."[4] Almost all of the prosecution's evidence came from journalists who had reported the group's claims.[4][5] Evans, his second-in-command, Dennis Coslett (who refused to speak English throughout the trial), and four other members were convicted; Evans and Coslett spent 15 months in jail.[4][7]

up the fuckin RA

youtube.com/watch?v=ORifieiZiP4

list the similarities between ISIS and the IRA if you can my heathen friend

committing terrorist attacks?

Doesn't mean you have to like their enemies that are even worse.

>terrorist
completely subjective
try again

They are just worse for the English, Irish are pretty nice to everyone else.

>completely subjective

Not him, but no duh the Provos are/were terrorists. "Papist ISIS" is a retarded account of their motivations, though.

how so

killing planters who squat on their land and oppress their people?

fuck those commiepaddies

Worse in what way?

>Irish are pretty nice to everyone else.
You really think that? At one point they were seen to be as bad as niggers.

>how so

I think it's the part where they used organised violence against civilians in order to bring about political results. Like terrorists do.

They're dumb as fuck.

At one point the world was an Anglo playpen
their era is ending

so killing planters who squat on their land and oppress their people?

But I thought the British government did the exact same thing in Ireland for hundreds of years, are they terrorists too?

You can call it whatever you like, it's objectively terrorism.

>government
>terrorists

And yeah, they did use violence. So I guess if that's OK for the IRA, it must have been OK for the Brits, too.

>as bad as niggers
>not just treated that way in protestant dominated ulster

REMINDER:
The IRA was founded on the idea of freeing the people in occupied Northern Ireland from British oppression, and they were oppressed as fuck.
The protestant dominated police force, the RUC, shat all over them on a regular basis. The civilians saw Catholics or irish nationalists as second-class citizens. Getting a job was hard as fuck, there were countless places an irish person couldn't go without getting knocked about or harassed, and life was generally a bit shit.

That said, about 10 nanoseconds into the conflict the IRA devolved into what was essentially a "noble" gang of thugs, with some people standing by the "kill the oppressors, not the innocent" but many, many more saying "kill anyone protestant/not living near me"

Radicalisation was common, especially once the black and tans showed up who were NOTORIOUS for civilian killing, as well as the rise of the unionist paramilitaries which were founded on "lets kill irish people I guess" regardless of whatever "defence" they said they were doing.

As such, the IRA splintered into countless subfactions with only a small majority upholding the original "help help I'm being oppressed" attitude.

tl;dr: Brits were cunts to irish in NI. Irish fought back against brit authorites. Irish kiddies got radicalised and started bombing willy nilly. Protestants got salty, starting bombing back. IRA split into smaller groups. Protestants stayed triggered eternally.

>it's objectively terrorism.
according to who? terrorism is any violent military act committed without the consent of the government
any violent resistance to British/Unionist oppression would thus be considered terrorism
better to take it laying on your back though, amirite?

you kill a people who desire to kill your own people, who terrorize your own people, who commit atrocities against your own people

They killed civilians too you cuck.

>according to who

According to the relevant legal and lexical definitions of the word 'terrorism'.

>any violent resistance to British/Unionist oppression would thus be considered terrorism

Not necessarily. Given the comparatively benign scope of the oppression, however, then yes, in effect all violent attempts to overthrow British rule would constitute terrorism.

>better to take it laying on your back though, amirite

You are confused. You think that I am in some way weak and that you are in some way strong. But you are the weak one, because you cannot bear to think of yourself as supporting and condoning the actions of "terrorists". You are literally frightened of a word.

If you support the chuckies, go ahead and support them, it's no skin off my arse. But don't be a mewling fucking faggot about it; OWN the fact that you're supporting terrorism.

never realized what a loose and shitty definition terrorism has, fair enough

chuckie r lah

Reminder that the best English-language book was written by an Irishman.

>falling for the Irish IQ meme

Reminder that according to the IQ meme Aristotle, Nikola Tesla and James Joyce were all subhuman.

IRA killed the least civilians proportionally, in the whole conflict.

No, the IRA only MURDERED poor defenceless INNOCENT people because they were VERY VERY BAD.

The most salient point I want people to understand about Northern Ireland, the first thing that springs to mind when the subject of Irish Vs. British conflict, is THAT THE IRA KILLED INNOCENT PEOPLE WITH BOMBS AND NOBODY SHOULD EVER VIEW THEM WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAT PURE DISGUSTED HATRED AND MORAL INDIGNATION. FUCK RATIONAL DISCUSSION, IM GETTING OFF ON MY OWN SENSE OF SMUG MORAL SUPEORITY WHICH IS BASED PURELY ON SEMANTIC DEFINITIONS OF RIGHT AND WRONG

Fucking terrorists should have all been shot.

they tried that for centuries

But wouldn't that just create yet more "terrorists"?

Because that worked so well in 1916.

Irish Republican here.

Dad and uncles were Provos in the early 70's.

Ask me anything

labhairt tú gaeilge?

>the IRA were the tallest dwarf, proportionally

Yup, of the three factions involved in the troubles the IRA killed the lowest number of civilians proportionally. The also killed less civilians as an absolute number than Loyalists. They were the faction that targeted civilians the least as a rule, most civilian deaths at the hands of the IRA were collateral damage. There are a few exceptions of course.

Also they didn't start the troubles, in fact they were extremely slow to get involved. Loyalists and security forces had been attacking Irish civilians since 1966, increasing in intensity in 1968. The IRA didn't get involved until 1970

There were no absolute "good guys" in this war, but the IRA were the least bad by far.

IRA killed more IRA fighters than their enemies in the whole conflict.

>You were born in time to be given the opportunity to partake in the glorious cause of Ireland's liberation.

tbf loyalists also killed more loyalists than any other side in the conflict did.

>partition still in place
>largely degenerated into mutually feuding organised crime syndicates
>undefeated

>There were no absolute "good guys" in this war, but the IRA were the least bad by far.

Not 'by far', no.

You have 10 seconds to name a war the IRA lost.

partition'll end when Britain has to cut off money holes like Norn Iron to fund their mosque building schemes

The IRA were terrorists, they never fought any wars.

So the chuckies killed all those people for literally nothing, then. Super good guys, real heroes.

>Terrorists can't fight wars.
So was the war in Afghanistan not a real war? Was the latter half of the Boer war not a real war?

one less planter is one less problem

honestly what in your right fucking mind gives you the idea that you've any right to indignation or self pity being the probable descendant of planter whores like you are?

>IRA
>undefeated
>what are the irish civil war and the border campaign

>Not 'by far', no.
pretty much. They were the most restrained, most justified, and most principled group, despite being the most vulnerable and desperate. Not saying they were saints, but compared to the Loyalists and the British army they were much better.

There is a difference between a separatist insurrection and an invasion, particularly when said insurrection is carried out only by a violent minority faction of a minority group. The biggest factor in determining the issue, though, is that the IRA were not armed forces of a government, nor were they agents of a government-in-exile or similar body. They were a shower of cunts who wanted to be part of a different and equally shitty country.

>honestly what in your right fucking mind gives you the idea that you've any right to indignation or self pity

And once the ad-hoc justification train runs out of steam, vituperative bile is all that remains. Ethics, my boy. Ethics and the absence of any tendency to romanticise psychopathic, murdering scumbags simply because they wear le cool balaclavas.

>probable descendant of planter whores like you are

Life's pretty OK as a lapsed Catholic in Dublin, actually. I imagine it would suck to be a Northy, though, abloo bloo.

>pretty much

No. The tallest dwarf is never the tallest dwarf 'by far'. It is always a matter of inches.

Turn off the capslock there cowboy, too much emphasis is a pain in the ass to read and just makes you look butthurt.

Massive plastic paddy infestation detected.

My grandpa once went to Boston - ask me anything.

>Ethics and the absence of any tendency to romanticise psychopathic, murdering scumbags simply because they wear le cool balaclavas.
no romanticizing here, the IRA killed planters and planters are bad

>Life's pretty OK as a lapsed Catholic in Dublin
pal I couldn't give a second shit if you want to be a soggy cumrag that lets others walk all over his people and still their land, Dublin is tan central anyway, are you North or South?

>They were a shower of cunts who wanted to be part of a different and equally shitty country.
They were a shower of kids who wanted attacks on their neighbourhoods by lynch mobs, gangsters and later the army to stop.

>Dublin
not surprised at all la

>Only the armed forces of a government can wage wars.

Do Brits just not even bother going to school anymore?

>the British government shit on the Irish for years, but it's not terrorism because governments can't be terrorists

wow, I never realize how brainwashed britbongs were. You guys are fucking bootlickers and I hope the queen shits a bomb right on top of your house and blows your dumb ass up

but it's cool because it's OK when the government does it :>)

>No. The tallest dwarf is never the tallest dwarf 'by far'. It is always a matter of inches.
true, but the most retarded analogy is sometimes the most retarded by far

House of Pain were cool. Up the 'RA.

I am NOT butthurt, I am using EXPRESSIVE emphasis to ENUNCIATE my INDIGNATION

The major IRA splinters came way later, after the good friday agreement. The provisional IRA was by far the largest and most important for most of the time the IRA was operating, although different units within the provisional IRA were given enough independence to nearly be separate organisations.

>no romanticizing here, the IRA killed planters and planters are bad

No, that's exactly romanticising. The IRA killed people whose families had been living in that part of the country for centuries, people who never asked to live there and who wouldn't be expected to leave if partition ended. It's only by forcing yourself to think of them as 'planters' that you can dehumanise them enough to present their cold-blooded and futile butchery as some moral good.

>I couldn't give a second shit

Yes, you seem the soul of detachment, true enough. I'm a Northsider if you must know.

>They were a shower of kids who wanted attacks on their neighbourhoods by lynch mobs, gangsters and later the army to stop.

And boy did they ever fuck the dog on that large-style, right? Tit-for-tat killings etc. GOOD JOB.

>not surprised at all la

Why would you be surprised?

>greentexting things makes them false

And yet other times, it's inexpressibly apt, and prompts bitter rage in those who know they can't even mount an objection to its application, because it's perfectly valid.

No, the fact that what you said is absolutely retarded makes it false.

I thought Americans liked democracy?

Britain was going to withdraw from NI aswell as RoI

But Northern Irish threatened to riot if so, there was a petition of 250,000 signatures against home rule which some politicians signed in their own blood.

There was then a referendum which unionists won.

IRA are democracy hating terrorists, you don't see scots murdering other scots after their referendum do you?

Plastic paddies in America are the worst

They write good books

Ah, OK. Be a dear and articulate the retardation?

Irish diaspora and they have good folk music

Toddlers in shopping malls totally deserved being blown to pieces because of muh 18th century injustice. This does not mean Apaches can totally start killing white American children justifiably because uh...

I'm so proud to be from one of the green bits.

Wars are not exclusively fought between recognized states. It is entirely possible to have a war between a state and paramilitaries, or just multiple independent paramilitary groups.

>The IRA killed people whose families had been living in that part of the country for centuries,
yes, planted there centuries before, usurping the land from the natives who they kept in subjection for centuries after
the definition of planters, what's your point?

>people who never asked to live there
I'd gladly buy each of them a ferry ticket to glasgow

>It's only by forcing yourself to think of them as 'planters' that you can dehumanise them
I see them as humans though, you're acting like humans don't or shouldn't kill eachother
if another human transgresses against me or mine then conflict will ensue, verbal or physical, the latter being the only optional resort for planters and their siege mentality

>Plastic paddies in America are the worst

For real. I was in Vegas a few years ago and this bum scabbed a smoke off me. Heard my accent and his eyes lit up.
>Yew Eyerish?
Yeah
>[open-mouthed gaping]
>My last name's O'Donnell
(this said in a tone suggesting I would throw my arms around him all DEARTHÁIR!)

Talked me for like five minutes about how much he wanted to go over and join 'the struggle'. He could see I wasn't enthusiastic and asked me if I was a Christian. I told him no, and he asked me if I was a Protestant. I told him I was pretty sure you had to be a Christian to be a Protestant and he seemed confused.

I think he thought 'Protestants' were 'Protesting' against British occupation or something. To be fair, he was a bum, but still.

Been reading up on the troubles recently. Talk about a clusterfuck.

NI didn't exist in 1914, it was gerrymandered into existance in 1920 when it became clear that the British couldn't hold the rest of Ireland.

>And boy did they ever fuck the dog on that large-style, right?
No, not at all. Irish neighbourhoods went from being burned down by mobs of protestants, held under curfew by the army and being constantly raided by the police to being relatively peaceful, if isolated and the sectarian stormont government was brought down. There were thousands of refugees fleeing from the North before the Provos were active.

>yes, planted there centuries before

DUDE. Are you seriously telling me the IRA killed a bunch of supercentenarians? That's even more fucked up, bro, specifically targeting extremely old people. The IRA were even more cold-heartedly evil than I'd thought. Thanks for educating me on this.

>I'd gladly buy each of them a ferry ticket to glasgow

I'm sure they'd have a whip-round to put you on a bus to Navan, too.

>I see them as humans though, you're acting like humans don't or shouldn't kill eachother

Yes, yes I am.

>if another human transgresses against me or mine then conflict will ensue, verbal or physical, the latter being the only optional resort for planters and their siege mentality

Jesus, you're barely literate, aren't you? Besides being a massive poser, I mean. How many planters have you killed, bro?

if a referendum was called for the whole of Ireland then the vote for home rule would've won out, unionists just hate democracy and love to chimp over such things
why should 6 counties (not even the whole of the fucking province) get to secede when they know the vote won't go their way?
as much right as London has to secede and join Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's grande Caliphate

>post yfw northern irish unionists will never EVER not be ass-blisteringly mad

>Wars are not exclusively fought between recognized states

I didn't say they were. Governments-in-exile and similar bodies are not generally recognised by the other belligerent party.

>it's inexpressibly apt
Comparing the height of dwarves to the motivations of political actors is 8-yr old tier.

>implying it's possible to be a greater nigger than a s*rb

>No, not at all.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankill_Butchers

>any group other than the original Irish Republican Army formed in the war of independence
>"the IRA"

any group calling itself the "IRA" post 1922 was and is a fucking joke that has literally achieved nothing in Northern Ireland in nearly a century

>DUDE. Are you seriously telling me the IRA killed a bunch of supercentenarians? That's even more fucked up, bro, specifically targeting extremely old people. The IRA were even more cold-heartedly evil than I'd thought. Thanks for educating me on this.
SICK sarcasm BRO, peppered with some SERIOUSLY deadly CAPITALIZED words
being obtuse is the SHIT

>Jesus, you're barely literate, aren't you? Besides being a massive poser, I mean. How many planters have you killed, bro?
jaysus boss sry didnae realize i was nae allowed tae use da big words lik urself sure sry boss

what the fuck was this post, have you entirely given up on saying anything with substance?

Hey, hey, Gerry A
How many child rapes did you cover up today?

Okay, if you must be so autistic then think about it this way.

The Irish Republic is an unrecognized state that has existed since 1916, and Gerry Adams is president.

Free stater detected.

Ask me again when you finish counting, buddy ;)

>i don't actually understand how analogies work

It was comparing their heights to the purported relative moral worth of their actions. Quantity for quantity, perfectly apt.

Are you actually surprised that Brits are the most subjugated peasant race on earth? THEY COINED THE TERM NANNY STATE. Brits are almost biologically predisposed to serving kings, they are unquestioning blind followers of authority. Keep calm and take it up the ass, and let our cameras record it.

>the ira has literally achieved nothing in Northern Ireland in nearly a century
And here was me thinking that NI now has power-sharing and Catholics are no longer offically discriminated against.

>SICK sarcasm BRO

Sarcasm? Do you think I wa-

Oh, wait. When you said 'they' were planted here centuries ago, you were referring to 'them' as this homogenous collective, a sort of Gestalt entity occupying multiple bodies. The Eternal Planter, so to speak. Almost as if they... weren't human. Hmm.

>jaysus boss sry didnae realize i was nae allowed tae use da big words lik urself

Oh, you're allowed. You're just shit at it, that's all.

>have you entirely given up on saying anything with substance?

Hahaha. So you haven't killed any planters, then, have you? All mouth, no trousers. That's adorable. Technology's great - a few decades ago you'd have had to go down the pub to bullshit yourself as some kind of hardman or true believer. Now you just sit at a keyboard.

>This does not mean Apaches can totally start killing white American children justifiably because uh...
If Americans started bombing them first, burning down reservations, setting up curfews and interning random apache civilians, keeping apaches as second class citizens and attacking them when they tried to protest this, then I would say Apaches would be justified in retaliating, especially if the Apache did so in a manner that was less ruthless and more discerning than their attackers.

>but muh toddlers, won't somebody please think of the children!!
Unfortunate accidents, not a matter of policy. In an case a childish emotional argument