Why are women less interested in high fashion than men

It's probably me but it seems like most women use low tier - low mid tier fashion (F21, asos, zara, nastygal). I know generally people aren't really into high fashion but even in forums (inb4 women don't exist on the internet) like Veeky Forums, reddit, etc, they tend to be less populated and less daring.

Pic is from highest fit pic in r/womensstreetwear, I tried to get a good one from femalefashionadvice but...

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/womensstreetwear/top/?sort=top&t=all
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because to be into high fashion you need lots of money, and the only way women get lots of money if marrying a rich man

To appeal to the normcore and generally be accepted.

I've been on both sides, being interested in the regular F21, h&m etc back in high school before getting into high fashion. And IMO, the answer is that we're used to being exposed to fads and trends more than anything.

Fast fashion is easy, fun, "cute", cheap. Basically it's convenient and no girl is gonna give another girl shit for wearing gladiator sandals and a rosegold Michael Kors watch

>r/womensstretwear

reddit.com/r/womensstreetwear/top/?sort=top&t=all

Fuck this is terrible

also dont fucking bother w/ femalefashionadvice it just makes me mad

Wew Lad that hurt

I know girls who go to FITNYC and don't know who Maison Margiela is lol

cuckcore for girls?

perhaps as womenswear is a bajillion times better than menswear most of the time but as a result the pieces are more "out-there". compare this to menswear which usually works from a widely respected base garment with many distinct features such as a blazers, dress shirts, or sneakers them twists them in slight, weird ways but are always evidently working from a base garment. womenswear's identifying piece is the dress, which is perhaps the garment that allows for the widest degree of experimentation. its just basically a piece of fabric that drapes around the woman with holes for the head and limbs. a blazer has lapels, buttons, pocket squares, and other distinct features that makes a blazer a blazer while dresses are pretty bare-bones in terms of what makes a dress a dress. as a result, there is more room to experiment which makes them less wearable. compare the most out there blazer you can think of to pic related

at least those are my thoughts. i would love to hear your thoughts

women go to pinterest

I really don't think this is true. I worked at a designer mall for around a year and never noticed this. The type of women who are interested in high fashion wouldn't be on here though.

women buy much more high fashion accessories such as bags and shoes than men buy of anything high fashion related
in terms of clothes i can see them being about the same

Wat

Yeah, womens high-fashion brands and styles are definitely different from mens or the ones usually posted here

Whats the female equivalent of ocbd, chinos and desert boots?

Where I came from all the girls were into fashion, of course all of them where into fast fashion because high school money is hard to come buy and its more easier to buy quick than save up. We had that one fashion blogger girl that would have the occasional designer shoe, but was mostly mid-tier.

For guys, it was just buying polos and shorts or not caring at all. There was this other kid that was into fashion, but he was r/mfa and I was Veeky Forums.

I know a couple of girls who went to FIT. That place is a shitshow. Everyone trying to outdo each other. One girl i knew spent all of her money on clothes instead of textbooks, food, etc. She went broke the first semester and had to call mommy for emergency funds. Funny thing is that the fashion design students usually dress bummy because they often pull all nighters in the studio. The kids trying to stunt are usually just like the marketing/advertising kids.

I'm just generalizing here but I think guys generally don't care if you stand out, or if they do, they think they're superior to other plebs. I think girls are more concerned with trends and fitting in or else they risk being ostracized from their peers.

Pic from r/femalefashion better but still pretty safe imo. Also r/femalefashion has 4k subs, r/malefashion has 44k

you can tell which kids in FIT are gonna have any success, by the exact way you describe. Weed out all the ones you describe and you have a handful of kids who are truly passionate about making garments and continually surpassing their creative ability.

Theyre prob on purseforums. Not sure how i got there but i remember browsing their rick thread. Was looking for some pics of roqt's

That's because women can't understand beauty of zx flux adv full black

Strongly agree with this user. From my experiences, all my female friends/exs have stayed with the trends because at least where I grew up, you got destroyed socially for not dressing the norm

Women aren't interested in fashion they're interested in looking good. Every time I ask one of my female coworkers if fashion interests them like clockwork they always reply yes. I rebut by asking them who their favorite designer is, usually they can't even name one if they can it's either Michael kors or Marc Jacobs. They like fast fashion and tasteless fads, very rarely will they refine a style.

WOMEN ARE ONLY EVER SURFACE LEVEL INTERESTED IN ANYTHING YOU FAGGOT BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS GET SHOWERED WITH COMPLIMENTS NO MATTER HOW PLEB THEIR SHITTY FUCKING """"""""""TASTE"""""""""" IS. ITS NOT ENTIRELY THEIR FAULT THO, ITS THESE FUCK ASS LOSER DUDES WHO ALWAYS ENCOURAGE THIS BULLSHIT BY SAYING THINGS LIKE 'OH YEAH STACY I TOTALLY THINK YOU LOOK GOOD IN THOSE HOLLISTER JEANS ;^)' OR 'YEAH THE ARCTIC MONKEYS ARE A REALLY GOOD INDIE BAND LOLNO I DONT THINK MANY PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF THEM WOW YOU'RE SO INTO MUSIC YOU EVEN BUY REPRESSES OF NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL OH DANGGG SUCH A MUSIC SNOB XDDD' AND BULLSHIT LIKE THAT BECAUSE GUYS ARE SO FUCKING DESPERATE TO GET LAID. JESUS FUCK IF YOU WANT TO HIT ON A CHICK JUST DO IT RIGHT YOU FAGGOTS.

wow so fucking true, I was in japan and I was talking to some jap students in tokyo who said they like fashion and I talked about yohji sama, cdg and issey miyake and they had no fucking clue who they were.

i think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, and the difference is particularly evident in Junya's work.

there were always be a over supply of thirsty dudes but I don't think a lot of girls I know could stand all the shit and insults that happen here daily.

I agree women have socially allowed to be more experimental and free in terms of garment choices but most women, even those who seem really interested in fashion, are more interested in the most current trend and fitting in.

CLOSE YOUR COMPUTER you autist. GO OUTSIDE. All the people who buy high fashion, instead of just jerking off to inspo pictures, are rich women and their boyfriends.
Fashion design has been built by and for women; it's arguably the only design field that's like that.

yeah. women who are "into fashion" usually brlwse at f21, zara, asos, etc.

junya's work has that really evident difference as he focuses on modified basics for men but wild shit for women. someone like rei or yohji could be a fairer comparison

I feel like it's probably confirmation bias from the circles you're in if you find that.

Also
>women's high fashion
>using /r/womensstreerwear or anything on Reddit as a measure

because women don't peacock

I just dress in menswear instead of trying to find a female version of this place. Basically, you can pick from instagram look (dutch braids, contour), /r/femalefashionadvice look (zara, old navy boots), or sugar girls who dress in Chanel exclusively. I'm already andro physically so I'm eternally Veeky Forums with this look

because they have less ego

Maybe this has to do with the way we've conditioned women and men to participate in consumerism dating back to the industrial revolution. When the sack suit became the men's everyday functional uniform, upper class men had to find new ways to brandish their wealth. Most often this involved decorating women (possessions at the time) in the most lavish frocks and accessories possible. The fashions of the upper class were able to trickle down through the social pyramid faster with everything becoming more quickly producible.

Fast forward a century and we've basically ingrained stereotypes of manly men not caring about fashion and women being frivolous and needing to be constantly decorated into society. The sack suit only slightly evolved into the three-piece business suit. It seems men who want more creative fashion options while maintaining quality are forced to seek out niche fashion communities which revolve around certain aesthetic ideals while women have boundless options at all income/quality levels widely available to them and thus don't require such communities unless their tastes revolve around a particular niche.

Designer fashion as a status symbol is astronomically priced. People no longer need to invest in a high-quality brand piece since it will be out of trend next season (there are now approx. 6 merchandising seasons), thus they buy the fast fashion copy; the demand for such being so high it's resulted in a decline of quality of such Veblen goods but nobody notices because that's the current standard. When social media sped up the trend cycle, the fashion cycle, and thusly the fast fashion machine, it's no wonder trendy girls don't really seek to look for clothes much further than what's right in front of them.

Woment dont care about fashion, the only thing they care about is spending tons of cash on cheap clothes and looking trendy. They are unable to appreciate it "deeper" level

Can you actually back any of this up with statistics? Keep in mind that the fact that you are aware of more women who are into fast fashion than men, does not mean there are less women into high fashion. The gender distribution of a Chinese cartoon board also doesn't count as evidence.

No idea if this argument holds up but I can see it. I like men's fashion but it's 90% functional first and never reaches the levels or ornament of female fashion.

ITT fashion women will never understand ;^)

white top, blazer, chinos and boat shoes

don't forget about leggings, green parkas and brown boots

denim jacket
white pants

Fat girls seem to think this looks good on them

this very much

>be me from fairly rich Eurocountry
>no one gives a shit about fashion/clothing, everyone dresses Zara tier
>talking to a qt who's claiming to be into fashion, ask her favorite designer
>"COS, it's like high end H&M!"
kys gurl

they all want to appear smart too but in reality most of them are just pseudo intelligent creatures with wayyyy too much emotions and feelings which makes them dysfunctional cunts

I'm a dysfunctional virgin myself but fuck am I glad I was born with a dick [/endofrant]

same here
except im not a virgin but i wish i was my body has been fucking tainted by demons just end me

If you ask any average young guy what his favorite shoe brand is they're all going to say fucking Jordans. Or adidas, or nike, whatever the trend is. Normie women "follow" fashion in the same way men "follow" shoes. Or any other thing applied for each gender. Most only learn enough to not get ostracized in their circles.

If you read the other posts in this thread they explain much better than "women are stupid and can't into fashion", but ur using a pepe and are a virgin so /r9k/shit isn't surprising

bruh you just revealed your powerlevel

> they all want to appear smart too but in reality most of them are just pseudo intelligent creatures
this desu

always want to appear into art/literature/theatre whatever, but always turn out to be ultra plebs in it, or at best into entry-level hipster garbage

and they act so snotty about it too, makes my skin boil

maybe I appear dumb and uncultured? or do they act like that towards everyone? fucking pretentious cunts!

Lovely

are you only talking to pretty girls?

pretty girls have no reason to pick up hobbies, their whole lives they're surrounded by betas who will be her footstool and nod when she blabs about how cool 21 pilots is

> are you only talking to pretty girls?

ye desu, what's the point of talking to ugly girls, i can just talk to a guy then?

always same shit, like 'oh im so cultured, you wouldn't understand, im so into high culture stuff wow im so cool'

it's like im sitting there in a coal miner or a construction worker attire with my hands dirty from flinging pig shit on a farm all day or something ? ? ? ? ?

AAAAAAAAAAAAA even thinking about it makes me mad

well, that's what to expect, not much else to say. pretty girls are praised for breathing, 99% of them are plainly awful because of it

>Fashion design has been built by and for women
???

the answer is probably in that you don't actually speak to any women interested in high fashion and prefer the sweet lube of confirmation bias when it comes to fashion communities. Women's high fashion is a much larger industry than mens, they just don't talk about it on pithy internet forums (which are shit, and widely known to be male dominated)

did u think about this much before you posted

Tbf Veeky Forums is mostly populated by males and reddit is populated by plebs.

Do you know that many fashion conscious guys irl? Because I don't know any. I only come across them here, and even then it's the same few circlejerked designers or European mid range brands like Acne.
And still there are plenty of threads here asking about Zara, h&m, fast fashion stuff.

I think a more logical answer is that unless you know a lot of people with an income that can stretch and the time to experiement, then knowing people irl who are actually into fashion isn't that common - men or women. You'll find the people who like the current street wear brands or whatever, or girls who like Vivienne Westwood because they think they're being edgy, but I don't find much else myself.

Of course you've also got to consider how magazines have been peddling fast fashion as just "fashion" to women for a long time, so a lot won't hold a distinction in their minds.

>This is streetwear

I dont see anything wrong, except a few weird fits
I only see the usual shit that is posted here

Wtf am I looking at

if this was on a qt asian girl there'd be a dozen fuckboys asking you for her IG

I tend to agree with these anons statements because I too have had similar experiences although there are exceptions.

Like for example these 2 sisters I know. They are Veeky Forums as fuck even though they are not interested in designers or fashion blogs. It just comes from inside. They often shop at second hand stores but they don't have that thrift look.

Pic related: one of them. Can dump more if interested.

Wow. I mean, pull those pants down to hip height and wear high sneakers and it'd be fine. I'd suggest styling the hair though, this just looks like a disaster.

>Do you know that many fashion conscious guys irl?
Yes, please ask yourselves this. It's easy to feel superior about fast fashion girls at your work place, college or kindergarten, but seriously ask yourself how many guys around you are into high fashion or even fashion at all.

>limp, shoulder length hair
>thin shirt
>black leggings
>wedges

this isn't Veeky Forums, this is normal basic bitch. but you're right, women are naturally good at choosing clothes that look good, even if they're not high fashion, because their gender roles call for it.

but it's not

There's more pressure to follow trends for females and that means constantly adding new pieces to fit in. Assuming they're not loaded, it makes sense to stick to stores like Zara or nastygal where they're basically told what's in right now and can choose from their collections instead of constantly looking up high fashion trends and designers and whatnot. For men, you can invest in quality pieces that'll last you a long time. It's really not the same.

that's the point, faglord. there's nothing terrible about her outfit, ur tiny chimp brains are just expressing revulsion because she's not fuckable.

this isn't Veeky Forums as fuck. this girl had dookie bangs in elementary school. this girl probably unironically likes faeries or some bullshit.

only time i hear about women being into high fashion they always talk about how much they want loubotins or they're new gucci or LV purse.

like dis?

This is true over here too. The only girl I knew moderately into fashion was basic as fuck even though she was entering the field. She loved like Band of Outsiders and Free People.

>in forums (inb4 women don't exist on the internet) like Veeky Forums, reddit, etc, they tend to be less populated and less daring.
because you fucks harass them whenever they say they are girls so they lurk and don't mention it

also holy shit FFA is complete shit they also downvote any fits they don't understand like avant garde high fashion

and streetwear is absolute garbage and your opinion should be completely discarded for using it as an example.

wtc shoes?

The fact that male fashion forums are all over the place online compared to female fashion forums could be evidence I guess as well as male fashion having a stronger online presence with streetwear magazines, grailed, etc.

>only talks to women for superficial reasons
>is surprised they are shallow

kill yourself.

haven't see one guy into fashion on my entire 20k student university i saw raf simons skechers once but it was some nigger in overly distressed denim and bape.

men follow more trends than women just look at Veeky Forums and all it's memes and streetwear which some of you consider "fashion" is literally basic bitch f21 male equivalent so im not sure why any of you dressed in it think you're anything but a pleb.

Are these kaws t-shirts really Veeky Forums I could get them pretty easily but I don't really line them. Is there something to it I don't know?

Women outnumber men as purchasers of "high fashion" by an absolutely unfathomable margin you misogynistic twit

Yeah but because it's not yohji or street wear op isn't interested.

Naff off with the facts, perception is all that matters here.

that's sick s/o you user

I think this is just because men are more likely to be asocial shut ins willing to sit in front of a computer for a significant amount of time than anything else.

This thread is dumb. For everyone who has posted in this thread, I guarantee their mother is purchasing more clothing and accessories than their father.

inb4 muh parents are dead, divorced, etc.

dump more so we can criticize but pic related is just plain basic shit and not
>Veeky Forums as fuck

getting their boyfriends to buy them lv bags is not being "interested in high fashion"

You're such a fuckin nobody once you faggots stop judging other people you might make friends and go outside don't matter to me I'll still be here stovetop brnnnning

and you can guess who's the dumbest of all

this thread is not about which gender purchases more shit, but which gender is interested more in high fashion

kek
also this, women ate inherently more social than men, they're not going to want to seem more "well-off" than other women

While this might be true, they rarely end up looking like the "unique" style they think they look. They don't look much different from a girl that wears hm//zara.

because they can't comprehend it from the kitchen while makin my sammich

When I used to go on tumblr there was a big fashion community of mainly women. Reddit and Veeky Forums just aren't female websites

high fashion will make you stand out, most girls want to fit in. also women dont have as much money as men

this I think is the main thing womens high fashion brands are going to be waaaaaay different then mens high fashion brands.
also there is much more too high fashion than stuff that looks like pic related

Go walk down 5th Avenue sometime and tell me how many more fathers are out with their sons shopping than mothers out with their daughters.

>tfw my father always brought me to fifth avenue when I was child
>When I visit him we always just walk around, visit stores, pick out clothes, and get a bite to eat just like the good ol' days

feelsgood

mirin childhood user

This isn't about looking unique though - it's fashion, fitting a look is what's intended.

You can get Rick knock offs at h&m as well though

>there is much more too high fashion than stuff that looks like pic related

Thank you.

I think a lot of people here have confused the word fashion for the phrase "avant garde in 2008"

Pic is basic as shit. I doubt your insight.