Why do non skaters dress like skaters and/or wear skate brands?

Why do non skaters dress like skaters and/or wear skate brands?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMuJSLHglwg
asos.com/Dickies/Dickies-872-Work-Pant-Chino-In-Slim-Fit/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6094241&CTARef=Recently Viewed
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because posers

skating is cool now. rappers and pop artist drenched in supreme and palace and general skate attire.

eventually its going to hit critical mass and skaters/skate brands wont be as cool anymore and posers will hop off the bandwagon.

It's easy to spot a poser, just look at their shoes.

Canvas = poser
Suede = skater

Crisp new old skool vans = poser
Worn out shoes, possibly with a few holes and ripped laces = skater

why do regular people dress like the navy with t shirts?
why do regular people dress like pilots with bomber jackets?
why do regular people dress like mine workers with jeans?

this is a fucking stupid question mate

because why not?

if you have no interest in basketball and have never played it before, would it be acceptable to walk around in basketball shoes and jerseys all the time?

>skating is cool now
are you twelve? skateboarding has been 'cool' for decades

POSER DETECTED

people actually believe this wowowow

yes, but I mean mainstream cool. its way more publicized.

how isn't it true?

Have you ever felt grip tape before? It would rip your fake Yeezy's straight off your feet after one rocket ollie. Canvas shoes are NO GOOD for skating and skaters know this.

lol canvas vans last 2 secs while skating

theres a difference between an article pf clothing and a whole aesthetic

back in the day, we used to skate with what we have to wear, the skater clothes were not cheap, the only thing that was necesary were the shoes.
Nowdays "skaters" are fucking pathetic, is repulsive.
wrong, if the shoe is destroyed to shit, is a real skater.

so im only allowed to wear Vans and cropped pants, if i skate? sounds dumb to me, i mean if you think it Looks great you should wear it..

Skaters are always changing their style to get away from the people trying to take it

These days we've gone back to baggy pants and shoes that aren't really even skate shoes

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMuJSLHglwg

you can wear your vans and cropped pants, that's fine, it becomes a problem when you throw a thrasher shirt on top of it or try to base the rest of your outfit around skate style, vans and cuffed pants aren't 'skater only' clothes

This is exactly what a posser is.
you dont wear cool and unique, you wear what you can and enjoy the sport.

can u give me link to These pants?
no skater, but plz :^(

Everyone's going back to baggy/loose fitting pants pull your head out of your ass

asos.com/Dickies/Dickies-872-Work-Pant-Chino-In-Slim-Fit/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6094241&CTARef=Recently Viewed

i bought them the other day kek

I havent skated for 5years but i still wear all skate brands. I guess the streetwear shit is taking over and im tired of all the hype

i think he means they've gone back to the 90's skate style, just a few years ago it was all slim jeans and janoskis

This look took tumblr by storm, I don't blame them for moving away from it

Who cares it's all trash for people who can't find their own style anyway

where is the concave haha, is that a home made deck?

Prob some cheap deck. Looks shitty

this is how it should look, even wal-mart boards have SOME concave

looks like a $10 skate, the fake ones

I wear skate shoes bc I used to skate and just don't know what other shoes to buy.

i only wear vans because its simple and goes with almost everything. used to skate/ride bike for years. its such a popular shoe ive never heard someone being called a poser because of it. stop living on this memebase mate, it fucks with your brain

who mentioned vans?

well on the pic you see Vans combined with cropped pants.

pls refer to vans aren't the focal point of this thread

vans is just an example. isnt that the most popular skater shoe?

back in the day yeah, these days when you say vans, these are what come to mind for most people. their canvas fashionable shoes are way more popular than their skate shoes now

umm yes?

i have been skating for over 12 years or so and i've always skated canvas vans.

white shirt, and rolled black jeans isn't skater you fucking inbred. As if old schools are even good skate shoes.

how? when i first started skating i wore canvas and within three days of trying to learn to ollie i'd ripped through my shoes, socks, a ton of plasters and my flesh

read the rest of the thread before posting. TNT 5's are the skate version of old skools but the non skaters wear the cheap canvas ones

skaters are posers for wearing dickies when they haven't even worked in a steel mill lmao

what's the difference?

still don't get it

that part of your foot is what slides up the grip tape and lifts the board into the air when you ollie, grip tape is stupidly abrasive so you want that part to be made out of something tough

Can't buy black TNT 5's in the UK anywhere and I accidentally ended up with canvas, this is how they ended up ten ollies later :(

guy with a skateboard = skater
guy with no skateboard = no skater (or his skate is at his house)

literally why do you even care mate

how does this upset you

The skating community is elitist as fuck which is one of the reasons the skating community is cancer.

UR A POSER IF U WEAR THESE SHOES!!!1

UR A POSER IF U WEAR THIS SHIRT!!

It's been mainstream cool since THPS 1 and that one Thrasher game for PS1 came out you fuckwit.

last time I checked literally nobody cared about this since the 90s

12 year old kids, who think they are so unique skating, and feel superior to everybody else

go watch a few youtube videos not taking the piss you'll see how they're dragging their foot, it's left of the hole where the black line is partly missing. As it'll be on the sole instead from now on you shouldn't have this trouble.

p.s. nike janoski are the most durable skate shoe for ur buck

tfw my brother is a skater and he called me a poser for buying a Palace shirt

actually im kinda happy about it cause fuck posers, wish I didn't quit skating 5 years ago tho /blog out

wear what you want nothing matters

>i move a piece of wood with wheels
>by golly im cool

You're thinking of mesh material, idiot.
I've skated for 9 years, have to buy new shoes every 4 months and it's a 50/50 whether I get canvas or suede sk8s.

absolutely? what a dumb fcking question

This thread just proves how toxic Veeky Forums is.

>muh posers
>muh skating is mainstream its not cool
>they got no style

Pathetic.

simple, cause its trendy right now

No really, it died out for 5-8 years and now it back.

andy is a beast

this

This thread is just full of insecure "muh culture" skaters and people who bash on trends.

It's not like you can do anything about it so why even complain fampai?

Just wear what you want and let everyone be, being tolerant and kind is pretty effay :)

ahaha andy fuckin roy. i was just watching some videos about him. the dude is a hilarious mix because crackhead, hypeman, and nice guy

>White shirt
>Black skinny jeans
>Vans
>Whole aesthetic

>Why do people wear their team's jerseys, I hate it so mucho, they don't even play.

O gee, I don't know, why do people outside the construction industry wear CAT boots?

Why do people who aren't in the military wear fishtail parkas?
Why do non basketball players wear converse?
why do people who don't own horses own riding boots?
Why do you wear denim if youre not a cowboy
why do you wear a canadain goose if youre not in Canada?
why do people wear polo sport but don't play sports or polo?
why do people wear his jersey if youre not Kobe?
WHY DO KIDS WHO ARENT FUCKING ASTRONAUTS EAT ASTRONAUTS ICE CREAM YOUVE NEVER BEEN TO OUTER SPACE U POSER FUCKS I BET YOU FOUND NASA FROM TYLER U FUCKING PLEB I HAVE NO SELF IMAGINE EXCEPT FOR SKATE BOARDING WHICH GETS LAME WHEN I TURN 22/

I think this basic style is pretty integrated in several cultures which include skating, hardcore punk, and Street art. I don't think the style makes you a part of that culture, or vice versa. I know if I'm at the thrift store and I'm choosing between a well fitting t shirt that has a little volcom logo on it or an I'll fitting super bowl 1997 t shirt, I'm gonna pick the skate shirt every time.

i would pick the xxl super bowl 1997 shirt in a heart beat if it was a cool design

Baggy jeans are easier to skate in

I get that this board is relatively young overall compared to others but things like this just smack of some kid that's barely midway through high school.

vans are literally skate shoes and cuffed/cropped pants are cool now because skaters started doing it like 2 years ago.

I'm skating full suede old skools pro, they are really durable and comfortable

vans are cheap

i was always a skater style kinda dude but vans are uncomfortable as fuck and my feet are hurting

Because skating is "cool"

Everyone wants to be cool

Dressing like a group of cool people is a quick and easy way to look cool.

People have been doing this for decades, nothing new here.

that's an awful comparison

ITT: a lot of people who don't skate but are trying really hard to show that they do.
also posers who wear thrasher and can't even stand on a board

I used to skate a bunch during my early to late teens and I had always gravitated towards the skater aesthetic even after quitting skateboarding. Something I really despise is people carrying around skateboards and barely being able to stand on them. Their image crumbles like a cookie when they spaghetti all over their board pushing forward improperly and walking most of the time.

Sure without proper practice even the guys who quit skating will wobble on the board when trying to do a trick etc. but the muscle memory and coordination while standing on board is still there. It's like learning to ride a bike. So it's quite obvious when a guy is an ex skater or just a poser (or whatever you call it).

I agree that skate brands are getting overplayed right now but this trend will pass until the majority jumps on to the new trend wagon. At least it appears so in Europe.

you guys see newest lurknyc was posted on the skateboard mag channel? interesting that they got picked up

maybe on the internet...
skaters in real life are very chill

underrated comment

This issue is funny to me because the friends i skate with wear more random thrift and no-name stuff than skate brands.

If you really want to find an answer to OP's question, you have to ask yourself, as a skater, why you want that skate-branded tee over a plain or thrifted one that is much cheaper? I would think the issue is, at its core, the same as why non-skaters wear these brands.

I'll venture a guess at my previous question: Fashion, like most of life, is a way to be accepted by others. Dressing in certain clothes let's you communicate things about yourself instantly. When you see someone with a sense of fashion that you like, you think that they might prescribe to your other tastes as well.

For example, in buying a palace shirt you can imply that you:
-skate
-like certain skaters (jamal smith)
-like a certain type of skating (london style)
-like ironic shit (a lot of palace marketing is sarcastic)
-like hype brands
-like british culture
-like industrail techno

Now, you may disagree with what I associated with Palace, but that is what makes the 'projecting your personality through fashion' not work most of the time. Everybody likes different aspects of brands/pieces/styles so ultimately all this fashion stuff is nonsense, but it sure is fun.

i wrote this very quickly and forgot to make my point...

People wear skate brands because they prescribe to the skate-lifestyle: Being a degenerate, smoking weed, getting shit-faced, not liking society, bumming around all day.

So in buying a thrasher shirt (for example), youre communicating to guys and girls alike that you are into the aforementioned things. Then, maybe this will encourage someone to approach you and befriend/fuck you because they're into people that do the above things.

are those chino pants? what kind of pants are those

>tfw you push mongo

I'm an embarrassment to my skater friends

A good amount of skaters are elitist SHitheads

black jeans I'd imagine

Snowboarder here

These brands realize that 'core' people are 1: poor and 2: not a very big market. so they advertise to attract non-riders.

Just look at Burton... They were a good brand, but eventually they started venturing away from a snowboard brand towards more of a lifestyle brand and people ate that shit up. Whatever the reason it worked so other companies realize that being a "cool" brand that only caters to a niche audience of riders isn't a very good business model.

But in the end, who gives a shit, at least non-riders are giving money to companies that sponsor events and riders

4channer understands cultural appropriation and coding when it happens to a group that's predominately white

non-skater =/= poser

Get off your high horse m8

If you have a cleaner style you can get away with canvases. It's a preference thing, canvas shoes are much lighter, but I agree yes that most skaters use suede because it holds up better.

Doing that hooks you guys up though because it allows them to keep their gear cheap.

Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

At least there is an actual culture/philosophy/life style behind the genres of music played by the band on the shirt. But skateboarding is only a commercialized sport.

You guys a more of a materialistic whore than music cultures, at least they try to fight some establishment (even if they're following intellectual masters). The skateboarding community doesn't existence, in the same was extreme rock climbing doesn't exist philosophically beyond it's sport.

Don't pretend like you faggots have any kind of culture worth protecting that isn't corporate whoredom and edgy sport elitism.