So I notice there are tattoo threads from time to time. Are all young people still gettling tattood?

So I notice there are tattoo threads from time to time. Are all young people still gettling tattood?
It just seems like such a dumb idea.
Are there really tattoos that will go with every outfit you are ever going to buy for the next 50 years?
Guys really, its time to stop the madness.

It's just teenagers hoping on the latest fad to post their hot new minimalist/woodcut style tattoo on their tumblr.

It seems like everyone under 25 has a tattoo now.
Am I wrong about this?

yes, so do beople over 25

i was thinking the exact same thing earlier but couldn't be bothered to articulate
fashion is about impermanence

know what isn't impermanence?
a fucking tatoo

just wear a t-shirt saying 'i'm convinced i am never going to grow up'

Why do you care?

>why expressing an opinion lmao

wonder how many outfits I'm excluded from because I have tattoos on my ribs :(

Tattoos are for retards though

If you're getting a tattoo just to fit into a fad you're getting one for the wrong reasons. I'm planning on getting a tat soon, but because the content and design are something that I feel reflect a part of who I am, and that isn't as subject to change as fashion.

>who I am, and that isn't as subject to change

Ahahahaha

but you yourself are subject to change you dumb fuck
the only people who don't regret their tats 20 years later were braindead to begin with

As an older user, I can tell you that any tattoo I would have gotten at 22 would make me cringe today.
Growth and change are going to happen in ways you cannot predict right now.

I guess I probably didn't word that as well as I could have. Yes, as a younger person I'm going to change. But I'm fairly confident in certain aspects of my personality (sense of humor, level of cynicism, etc.) that I think it's safe to say those things will remain relatively the same, at least for a while. Even if not, whatever. Live and learn, and maybe pay for a removal.

The only tattoo I have is a tattoo on my upper chest that says the name of my home I was in in boarding school. It's terrible, but I got it when I was 16.

If you don't like it don't get one. Tattoos are art and while some are badly done, good ones will grow well and become part of a look certain person enjoy: even though I like tattoos I don't enjoy all of them but that's just how taste works

you may underestimate how much age fucks people head over heels
but hey as long as you own it i guess

I get the intent, but I also don't want to live my life constantly fearing who I'm gonna be in the future. This is something I've wanted for a while, so that seems like god enough justification for me to follow through. At least imo

>but I also don't want to live my life constantly fearing who I'm gonna be in the future
i like this way of thinking

I hear what you are saying user, but there is not much reward.
I almost got a periodic table of elements when I was in grad school. I though I would be the only one crazy enough to ever even think of that.
Now in my field , that tattoo is a punchline.

Who could have predicted that?

I mean it's only bad if you're embarrassed by it. If it's done well from a technical standpoint and something that you still care about then I think you're the only one who's really judging it harshly. Can't let the haters get you down. Plus the design I'm getting (with an actual artists help of course) is going to be unique to me which helps mitigate the potential meme factor

No user, this tattoo idea is cringworthy .

The only reason I did not get it was money.
I was saving and looking for a competent artist but had a dental problem arise that took the money.
I thank god for that crown today!

Yeah I take it back. But I think the mistake there was getting something permanently put on you that also hangs up on every dingy high school science classroom wall ever. It's not personal enough.

But you see my point right?
This is just one example of a twist you cannot see coming.
Life is so full of plot twists its crazy.

Yeah I do, I just don't think it's gonna talk me out of my choice

Thats fair, just wanted you to have the benefit of a different perspective because I did not get one.
I got lucky on the tattoo deal.
Now marriage... man I was unable to dodge that bullet.

bump

This is a twist you could have seen coming. It's like a maths major putting the Pythagorean theorem on his arm, you should have known better

yeah but I am much older than you guys. not many people even got tattoos back then.
seems obvious today but it did not back then.
could be that 20 years from now just about any tattoo you have will seem about as cool as a tramp stamp.

These post are the exact reason why tattoos are looked down upon. You're gonna change as a person whether you want to or not, in ways you probably won't expect. It's pretty likely that the drawing you get imprinted in your skin to reflect your sense of humor and level of cynicism will make you cringe after a few years.

Those aren't the exact traits I'm basing the tat off of, just some examples. And I wouldn't say tattoos are generally looked down upon, it's just personal taste. You might not like them and that's fine. I'm not going to get it to impress other people. I'm going to get it for me because I want it.

>could be that 20 years from now just about any tattoo you have will seem about as cool as a tramp stamp.

lol we're pretty much at that stage now. There are so few tattoos these days that haven't reached the tramp stamp level of memery. Even a lot of the ones that seemed super cool and unique just a few years ago are complete meme status today.

pic related is probably the best example of something that was cool and original in like 2010 and has become 100% meme tier by 2016. The only reason there aren't even more of these types of tattoos than there is now is because they're usually pretty expensive if you want it to look good. But with the growing social acceptance of tattoos and social media being bigger than ever, there's just about no tattoo idea than can remain unique for more than a year or two before every teenager with a little spending money goes out and gets it.

Blessings in disguise are the best kinds, aren't they?

Even if we stopped the madness, the tattoos would still be around forever, so it would take about 15 years to notice that the madness has already stopped. We dun goof'd.

Biomechanical was played out in 2005 and that's a shit tattoo to begin with. That thing is just hideous.

I would never get a tattoo, but how does Veeky Forums feel about utilitarian tattoos? Maybe a dot on the 1inch mark from the tip of your pinkie, 6inch mark from the tip of your pinkie, 1ft mark from the tip of your pinkie? they'd be unnoticeable to anyone not looking for it and it would actually come in handy

then it would be harder to lie about you dick size

topjaj

I've never felt the need to lie about my dick size

That's a cool idea I would steal for a merchant rpg character. Except that all of those measurements are already based on lengths found on your body, you dummy. Try metres and cms. Also your body does change with age and weather, not to mention skin loosening. It wouldn't be an accurate measure for long.

To answer the OP, I don't have a tattoo and wouldn't get one because at no point in my life have I felt so strongly about a topic or person. But there are people who do and there are also people who don't regret their past self but consider it an important part of themselves that made then who they are now. It is a question of character and self confidence whether you can run around covered in tramp stamps, 90s tribal tattoos, emo stars, kanji and all of that lame stuff and just not care that people might think you're not on top of what's in. Getting some that's been around long can also help avoid that.

so do metric on your left arm and imperial on your right arm. If the scale ever skews due to skin loosening, laser it off and redo it. They're only dots, after all

It's more that you'd seem rather silly measuring something using your feet length tattoo rather than your foot.

You're right that would just be foolish

M8 unless you'll live forever everything is impermanent. You would rather let the rules be imposed on you, than go against any of them. That's your choice by don't impose them onto others because you're too much of a bitch/or simply too ugly. Quite obviously the latter.

Expressing an opinion about someone else. Who cares about you? No 1

Being involved in fashion in any way shape or form is the polar opposite of not caring what people think

>not having a rune tattooed somewhere that can easily be covered up
I got a tattoo when I was 19 and my parent's haven't known about it for the last 6 years, and I was living with them for the first 2. All about placement. If you start getting embarrassed by it, just cover it up.

>having a rune tattoo
oh thats original

>"muh originality"
who cares lmao
there's a reason they're popular

>there's a reason they're popular
And that reason is that most people are unimaginative
Why do you want the same tattoo as everyone else?

That is why I only wear my "fashion" at home.

The same reason girls cut their hair short and dye it red, so they can have the facade of being rebellious while still being able to fit in with modern society.

ive got a few tattoos and loads of large scars from different injuries, when im old i bet i would regret having a boring youth more than a some marks on my body. we out here living while you fuming about other people having fun.

Did you know you can have a fun life AND not have goofy skulls on your arm forever?

Why do you judge a tattoo's merit only by its level of "originality"? All art is build upon known symbols. This is how we communicate. Something truly original carries no meaning or purpose. Do you want a computer generated white noise, is something truly random the most original and therefore the one that gives you the biggest ego boost?

some people have fun by getting tattoos, its a novel concept i know

wait are rune tattoos popular outside of the nordic countries? The only people with rune tattoos here are nazis or LARPers

Not sure if satire.

Every hipster at the rainbow festival has a rune or two im sure.

>wait are rune tattoos popular outside of the nordic countries?
uhmmmm hellloooooo!!!!