DIY

Do you wear clothes you made yourself?
Im interested in getting into DIY stuff, but I dont know where to start/ what to make, besides of sewing patches onto a jacket.

Other urls found in this thread:

www83.zippyshare.com/v/12iERp2m/file.html
www83.zippyshare.com/v/5yClsl5u/file.html
warosu.org/fa/image/RiqnIUeYBLCTU_jaCuEcGQ
i.imgur.com/sjG1PEq.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=PDNC2ZkET5A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If Robinson Crusoe could survive for years on an island thanks to his rationality, you surely can find answers using a search engine.

Anyway, I suggest you take up sewing classes. Not only a good place to learn, but also to socialize.

Also check the archive:
www83.zippyshare.com/v/12iERp2m/file.html
www83.zippyshare.com/v/5yClsl5u/file.html
and search on the username 'intern'.

start with something simple, like a hat

I think a hat is still quite difficult. Start with a t-shirt or underwear to get acquainted with the sewing machine and sewing techniques.

I do, sometimes. I posted sorta tutorial about how to get into hand stitching as i feel like that's the basic you need to comprehend before you move onto machine sewing. Heres the archive
warosu.org/fa/image/RiqnIUeYBLCTU_jaCuEcGQ

It took me about a year before I was confident enough to make an entire, even though simple, garment, don't push it.

I managed an unlined m43-style cap decently with minimal experience, it's just that one has to get used to the machine

Nah mate

You can learn a language in a month if you try hard enough

Just buy a shitton of dirt cheap fabric and just keep at it, keep making shit garments until you get it right

i uncaged my dooms, i think that counts

tyvek right?

is it really necessary to start with hand stitching though? The sewing machine is a completely different beast and I would think it is better to practice on this instead?
I find hand stitching easy as fuck but time consuming, while I can't sew straight for shit on the sewing machine, and I always fuck something up

>i feel like that's the basic you need to comprehend
Can you explain this?
>a year
damn

You can also use overlock to sew garments.

YES

RICK

Yeah, I'm going to try again with canvas soon after i come off vacation

How do i give a hoodie hidden air flow?

armpit vents?

Why not just get the ZX Flux slip-ons?

because they're hideous

the only real hand sewing you should be doing is buttons

dip died a white cap and added a patch

Thats embarassing

mesh

I bleached and painted on this jacket cause I'm a weeb

what's his belt made of? shoelace and cloth?

Neat

All these effay pics are fucking retarded. It's either "look guys, layers upon layers" or "look guys, ill fitting shit I paid $5k to wear; and that's not even counting my $8k chucks".

It makes me wonder what the average Veeky Forumsggot must look like that their clothes have to stand out so much so as to distract from their face.

man

this reminds when i went to korea during winter and saw a homeless dude looking just like him

the guy was totally Veeky Forums

h o m e l e s s a e s t h e t i c

I ordered these canvas shoes. Since they're white, I know they'll get stained easier. So, I'm thinking of dyeing them black. Anybody have any cool ideas though?

I sew by hand

>remove elastic from size XL skirt, add drawstring, obtain XS/S full skirt with gathers

>add darts or pleats to clothes to tailor them for myself

>switch out buttons

>stitch small accessories like head bands

Sewing machines are scary af and I've given up on using one.

I have been looking into embroidery for a while and I think I'm going to try that next. I've also read a bunch about sewing leather and I think I'd like to try that as well, then maybe try crochet. I have dreams of making leather waist belts with crochet lace edging

I recently found out about these, they're awesome, thank you though.

It sounds obvious but how does mesh increase air flow, or do you mean replacing piece of the hoodie with mesh? I'm looking for discreet ways to add air flow.

If theres a discreet was of doing it that would be helpful, like adding mesh to the back of the pockets adding air flow to the inside.

>Can you explain this?
Yep. It's like understanding how a wheel works before you start riding bicycles. It'll teach you how to tighten the stitch, various ways of folding the fabric in seams and so on. Also, randomly trying to sew pieces of fabric together on a sewing machine is more often then not a waste of time. However, joining them using a simple running stitch, adjusting the shape accordingly and sewing it on the machine afterwards will save you a lot of time (failed trials) and money (destroyed fabric).

>Year
That's the time I needed to gather the knowledge and skills needed to make completely functioning dress shirt I wouldn't be ashamed of while wearing. You know, it's not just sewing itself - pattern making is oftentimes the harder part of the deal. However, understanding the process of making a plain tee or something doesn't require a lot of time. I guess you could do it after a month or two, on your 2nd try or something.

That being said, if you don't feel like hand stitiching at all, do it your way, I am not saying mine's the best one.

Read above. It's not, it's just as I said - I (like it's just me) think that it is useful skill that has proven to be pretty valuable since I've learned it. You don't neccessairly NEED to have it, but every tailor does.

Where do you buy the little open metal rings for sweater vents? do this have a name?

i.imgur.com/sjG1PEq.jpg

I thrift and do not DIY because I feel that contributing in part to a religious institution provides me with a breed of consumerism which at its heart is rooted in a form of morality rather than one rooted in a form of primality.

I don't think sewing pieces of fabric together on a sewing machine or an overlock machine is a waste of time. I use it to check if my machine is correctly configured and to make sure I understand what I'm going to do (I take sewing classes). When I cut the patterns from the fabric I always have some unusable leftovers anyway. Mistakes are a part of the learning process and when I mess up it has not destroyed the fabric. I use my seam ripper and I start over. I'm in favour of a sewing machine because it gets the job done faster and easier. I don't want to work on a project for a full year. Why didn't you buy patterns? (Shame?) With those you can also understand that a basic t-shirt requires 4 a 5 parts and how they fit together. Also, I don't think you need to gather knowledge and skills to be able to sew, but I have a tutor who helps a great deal.

they're called eyelets m8, check any craft store

P U N P U N

NICE
I
C
E

im thinking of doing this. thoughts on where to start?

how do you dye clothes you bought to get contrasting seams?

you just use a dye that will adhere to the fabric material, but won't adhere to the thread material used in the stitches.

so say like the main fabric is cotton and it was stitched together using polyester thread. if you dye the garment with a cotton-specific dye, it will dye the fabric but just wash right out of the polyester thread.

if the fabric and thread are the same material, you're fucked

how would this work with fabric blends?

o cringe

youtube.com/watch?v=PDNC2ZkET5A

Ya'll think it would look cool if i got a black sweatshirt and sewed a patch around the left side of the chest?
Pic related.

yeah, what patch are you considering?

I wanted to do this to a blank hoodie or sweatshirt too. Know any good blanks?

buy two pairs of pants one for base layer and one for ripping into strips for sewing onto the first. use dual duty xp craft and button thread

Very well, point taken. I might be biased as I didn't have a sewing machine in my eraly beginnings. Good luck with your journey, doe.

Oh, about patterns. I never bought any since oftentimes, I had been making something rather unusual and wanted to come up with pattern of my own and didn't think of other possibilities. And yeah, I am aware that this kinda contradicts my previous statement about 'understanding patterns'

Bump. I have a bunch of patches but nothing to put them on

Fruit of the loom. Read about their fabric weights carefully doe, I've got one of their blank 'sweatshirts' and its basically a little thick shirt with stretchy edges.
---
Also, I want a shirt similar to pic related. I've picked a fabric (coarse linen, natty colour). It'll basically the same but a little longer, maybe button less and with patch pockets on the sides so it's more like a lab coat.

My question is, do you think the lower edge would look better curved, like on regular shirts, or straight?

you know you can thrift a shirt like this for like 3 dollars right? that one in the pic is curved but I think a straight cut oversized shirt might look interesting.

this is just a normal shirt that is 1-3 sizes larger than this guys normal size. pic related, thrifted this for 3€

put some pants on

I know I can thrift something SIMILAR, but as I said, there's a certain specific image of the piece I desire, especially the fabric. Also, most shirts, and not even only when thrift stores are concerned, are shitty imo.

I've got no problem with making it, I just wanted opinions on the lower edge. So thanks