Designer/DIY Thread

You know, for a board devoted to all things fashion, I never hear you guys talking about making your own shit

Other urls found in this thread:

cheasecloth.tumblr.com/
www83.zippyshare.com/v/12iERp2m/file.html
www83.zippyshare.com/v/5yClsl5u/file.html
warosu.org/fa/thread/S10458210#p10461032
terminal-boredom.com/crustpants.html
youtu.be/jvS-bhyBFmA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You must be extremely new then. The threads aren't frequently made anymore but look in the fucking archive. Tons of creative people on Veeky Forums.

Not much but I made these pants a little while back. I didn't have much to work with but I was bored. I can get better pictures if anybody cares.

Made these hippie pants recently. Material was annoying af so please don't judge.

Those look pretty cool. How often do you get around to wearing them? Also here's the front of the pants. The paint is pink, looks a lot less like cum irl. They're pretty comfy and look alright for my running/painting pants.

Back + better pic of waist. Just posting these to bump thread until someone way more creative than me comes in.

pic related not much of a significant diy but I hemmed this cargo pants. I wanted something longer than shorts but shorter than pants

this was the inspo. my pants where pin rolled slightly in the picture tho(ill probably end up tapering them a slight bit)

I forgot to add pockets so they're kinda impractical. Not much of a deal though since I only intended to wear them at home anyways.

Yeah I did that with mine but there's not a whole lot of room for pockets anyways. What material did you use? It kind of looks like corduroy.
These look pretty rad, I'm all for making cargo pants look a bit less dadcore. I think tapering them will look nice, you should post a pic if you get around to it, would love to see how they look.

I'm thinking of setting my own label on big cartel and selling overpriced white tees with subtle black and white pictures of my parents in their young years, progressing from birth to early adulthood. Any thoughts on this? I'm drunk btw.

Pic related

if the point is literally just to make $$$ go for it. how overpriced? also post more pics this could have potential.

my sewing machine died so ill have to taper it by hand. I have nothing else to do so its not a huge problem.

also diy bros check this dude out. this is the goat Veeky Forums lunar core posters tumblr. he makes a lot of his own shit. he is like a baby knoch

cheasecloth.tumblr.com/

Damn thanks for this. I really dig his stuff, I kind of stayed away from tumblr for a while, is there any other noteworthy Veeky Forumsx/diy/ blogs you'd recommend?

Not necessarily overpriced. Just so that I make some profit, I'm a student and making extra money is my main goal. I have no previous experience with this and have no idea how much it costs to get a cotton tee shirt with a print made in bigger quantities. I thought this was an interesting and probably unprecedented idea.

Another pic of my dad, will try to find some of my mother.

Only old pic of my mom I could find on my laptop besides wedding photos. There's a lot of cool photos I could get scanned at my grandma's house though.

I feel like your father seems to warm for this aesthetic. I figure something a tad bit more dark and kind of haunting would fit the look. pic rel is something i made when i was bored, I would focus on the lighting of the photos and make that the main focus.
same goes for your mom, I think the b&w picture on white tee has to have something a bit less warm to it if that makes sense. That said your parents both look like nice people.

interesting, thanks for the tips. I'll try to find some old family albums and pick out more fitting photos. My dad had a punk phase in high school (mid 80s) so I might look into that. I also recall there is a very cool set of pictures of my parents spraying ''[dad's surname] married [mom's maiden surname]'' on the wall in an abandoned building, just a few hours after their marriage.

Pic related is the last pic I have saved here.

this one looks cool, I don't even think it needs to go on a white shirt. I'd probably buy this if it were printed on a black tee. also yeah mid-80s punk is sick, definitely look into that.

how do i even sew

with a sewing machine, or with a needle and thread? How else would you do it?

put these on my sk8-his. one on each shoe, on the outer-facing side.

damn I can't read this, it looks like it could be cool. Do you have any pics wearing them?

Some folks here are attempting to update the wiki. Because the current wiki lacks one and some users are asking basic questions, we should make an entry for a /diy/ section for the wiki.

My best advice I can give is take up sewing classes. Through practice and being tutored you'll understand how the machines work, how your garments fit together, the sewing techniques.

I guess I should start with the supplies that I use and you need, though I may forget some:
- Dressmaking shears for cutting the fabric
- Scissor
- Seam Ripper
- A little box with needles
- Ruler
- Tape measure
- Tailors tack
- Hand sewing needles
+ pocket knife, the little scissor and the pincer have helped me out some times
+ You need an ironer to press your clothing

I don't know if you're here, but I asked my teacher about it and she said that you can sew a piece of clothing, like trousers, only by hand, but she wouldn't recommend it. Sewing by hand was used by tailors in the past. It wouldn't be sewing, but 'sculpting'. For a beginner that's far too advanced.

It depends on the thing you're working. When you need to sew a button on a shirt you need both. You need your sewing machine to create the buttonhole and your hand and a swab to sew on the button. With a blind hem stitch I use my hands. When I sew the front and the back of a t-shirt together I use an overlock machine.

Some books:
www83.zippyshare.com/v/12iERp2m/file.html
www83.zippyshare.com/v/5yClsl5u/file.html
Search on the archive on the username 'intern'.
warosu.org/fa/thread/S10458210#p10461032

I wanted to try sewing elbow patches onto a gildan sweatshirt I have. Like just some white cloth cut into ovals on the black sweatshirt.

this is all really good info. im definitely all for a /diy/ entry. I feel like for a board under the "Creative" section, there should be some kind of focus on....creating.

Yeah I need to take a shower but I'll post a fit pic after with a DIY hoodie I printed on as well

Do it.
I think it would be a chore to remove the seam of the sleeve. What you could do is to wear the sweater and attach the white cloth with needles. Then you could sew by hand.

I'm a bit lost at what topics I should discuss. What questions should be answered and in what order? By the way, I know nothing of patternmaking (it's a skill on it's own), knitting and dyeing.

I think it should start with something simple. Perhaps a breakdown of the different materials used in pieces? Weighting the pros and cons of them, including some places to buy? Is there somewhere people are discussing the wiki? I read the thread and haven't found any posts about diy other than the patches guy.

1. Making your first t-shirt
1.1. The Supplies
1.2. Terminology
1.3. Buying fabric and a pattern
1.4 Step by step guide on how to make a t-shirt, explaining techniques on the way.

2. Patternmaking
3. Knitting
4. Dyeing

I could create a little catalogue of different materials, their properties and which materials should be used by which project etc. I could copy the one at my class.

that'd be a good start for sure. Are there any students you know that have been doing this for a long time and could possibly give some better information about the things some of us don't know much about?

I'm chilling out with MILF's. I'm the only guy there. Intern is the tripfag you need.

I need to patch some holes in my jeans, the crotch has blown out on 3 fucking pairs.
Any tips before I just wing it? I was just gonna take some spare denim and sew it over the hole. Is there any trick to making it flush with the original fabric rather than it just remaining looking like a hole but you can't see my junk?

Here's the shoes on my feet

is there an active IRC somewhere?

Dye it? You can pockets with dye powder at the pharmacy I believe.

And here's my hoodie. A friend of mine printed the rose from violator (album by depeche mode) on the sleeves and back

#effay which doesn't seem to be active
or discord, but that's a terrible chat.

these look pretty nice, love the rose.
sew it on the inside, patching over blown out crotches can look a bit odd.
is the discussion terrible or is discord terrible?

It's not like super DIY, but has anyone got experience of bleaching/fading a baseball cap? I was in a charity shop and bought one that's a very strong blue which I thought might look good if it weren't so strong.

I'm not sure whether dunking it in a bleach solution would ruin it or not, given that the brim is probably just cardboard or something.

the people there are terrible

Leave it in the sun and/or wash it a lot?

put it in water(makes it so it bleaches even and not splotchy) then put it in bleach for a very very short amount of time(like 20 seconds) then rinse it off should lighten it. do it again to get the color you want should work.

I don't have experience but have you thought about using a spray bottle for the bleach? That might work but I don't have tons of experience with bleaching things intentionally

I did consider the sun and washing, but it's a low quality one so will probably just disintegrate after a few washes, and in the UK it would take years to sun bleach.

These are both helpful, thanks guys. I'm leaning towards a more even fade across the whole cap so a quick dunk in bleach is probably my best bet. I do have a fine mist spray bottle which might be good in terms of not totally soaking the brim.

no problem, good luck with that, post your finished product, I'm pretty interested in seeing it.

Cheers. Probably won't be in this thread, but if it's not a total disaster I will once I've done it.

I'm gonna steal this sorry

I scan the japanese magazines

willing to walk me through buying a sewing machine? I want to repair my own blown-out pant crotches from now on and have like $400 to spend

straponstandby?
Pfaff or Singer are the brands to look for. Choose a basic one. Look for an overlockmachine too.

yeah I don't trip but that's my username lol

thanks dude

I'll formulate a more complete answer later.

Other questions that seems to show up every time:
How do I bleach X?
How do I sew on a patch?
How do I make a Raf Simons parka? (basically sewing on a large patch)
How do I paint my shoes? (remember the white derbys?)
How do I make crust pants?

I wear Carhartt ripstop scrubs to work; theyre comfy and kinda sturdy but I don't wanna buy new ones every time the fucking crotch blows out
so yeah....wanna do my own repairs lol
I'll check the thrift stores up here for a Singer

Well, make sure everything works. Try to find the instruction manual that belongs to the machine (online?) and buy some supplies to take care of the machine.

what backpack?

im almost certain its diy

Love this dude. He's an inspiration for sure.

Pretty sure said guy made it himself.

I'd like to get into sewing my own stuff. Shits looks really hard though. What should I expect to pay for a sewing machine, maybe used, that wont break too soon?

Is it a lot cheaper than just buying clothes?

the cardboard in caps is not that fragile. i dip dyed a cap a week ago and left it in the water for 3 hours. it's just like before.

if it's just like before what was the point in dip dying it :^)

I want to bleach a sweatshirt.
Was thinking getting a worn sweatshirt with a little baggy look and bleach it myself. Figuring it could be fun. any tips? never done something like this b4

That's the plan

hahaha awesome i'm getting referenced in threads now
another good tool to have is tailor's chalk instead of the tack, makes tapering a lot easier

ask questions
i'll be on tonight, havent been on Veeky Forums much since graduation

don't really wanna read the whole thread so just ask any questions you guys have to this post

Do you need to gather knowledge before you start or is it better to learn through practice?

Is it better to first learn how to sew and understand how a piece of clothing fits together with a premade pattern and after that learn patternmaking?

i was taught to make patterns while also learning to sew those patterns
look for step by step pattern making instructions, im sure there's a lot on the internet
i also recommend WithWendy on youtube, though i disagree with some of her methods and terminology/explanations

sewing and patternmaking are really just skills that can be mastered over time and dedication

i learned to hand sketch, and about fabrics and fibers before i learned to make patterns and sew

OK, thanks. That was my main concern so it's good to know that it shouldn't be a problem.

>never hear about making our own shit
Triggered

how do i source the same materials that high end designers use

Nowadays they're mostly a weird plastic

Thick or thin bleach?

terminal-boredom.com/crustpants.html
>Crust pants how to guide

I do all my clothing sewing by hand (personal preference). You can patch over top of the rip for a cleaner look or under the hole for a more layered battered look. Just make sure the fabric for the patch is bigger than the hole and use good strong thread (i recommend dual duty xp craft and button thread)

Materials:
A washed and dried shirt. 100% cotton.
A mild bleach and water solution, (about 1/3 bleach to 2/3rd cold tap water)
!Remember that bleach is an acid so be careful! !Take notice of the hazards on the label!
A bucket
A pair of gloves
A few rubber bands
A place outside with a flat surface

Several 'designs':
Option 1: For a spiral pattern that looks a lot like a traditional tie-dye piece, grip the shirt with two fingers at the location where you want the spiral to begin. Twirl the shirt around so it bunches together. Once you have the shirt spiraled together, secure it with a few rubber bands.

Option 2: Scrunch up your shirt in an irregular pattern and then keep in shape with rubber bands back and front.

Option 3: Hold the shirt by its middle (back and front together) and let it free fall while you are holding the pointy end. Then put on rubber bands round it, as many as you like and fairly tight.

Option 4: Take various items, like pebbles, old rings, marbles, and lay it face down, upside down, sideways down, any way you like on the shirt. Tie these into the shirt with rubber bands in either a regular or random pattern, whichever you like (you can also do this with tie-dying). Fix rubber bands around them and make them very tight.

Option 5: Cut out letters/figures/symbols from a stencil. You'll need a sharp hobby knife, sheets of cardboard from flattened cardboard boxes or plastic sheets with glue and a spray bottle. Cut out the shape and lay it down on the shirt. Spray away!

Prepare the solution and go outside. Work on a flat surfice where you can splash the solution on. When you have mixed your bleach solution place your shirt into it and make sure it is completely submerged. Do not splash on your clothes as you will bleach them. Wear rubber gloves and old clothes. You can also use a spray bottle to apply the bleach. Depending on the dye used in the t-shirt when it was manufactured, there is really no hard and fast rule as to how long you should leave the shirt soaking in the bleach. I suggest that after 10 minutes. Check the shirt by looking to see if it looks less like the orginal colour and if there is dye in the water. Take out the shirt, unband it and wash it. First with another bucket of cold water to squeeze out most of the bleach and then with the washing machine. Dry it and wear it.

Copy-pasted-cut from some sites. It would be useful to have an image of what colour combinations there are, like black-orange blue-pink. Feedback appreciated.

dunno, i dyed them, didn't bleach

but check the fabric, that might help.

Dope AF.

I do my own really minor alterations like darts and hemming and reshaping side seams. But honestly making entire garments isn't worth the time. You can design something, pick materials and specify measurements and details, and give it to an overseas maker to sort out the details of pattern making and build it.

making clothes yourself gives you a skill and a certain independence.

Pics?

i recognise this mom from another thread

Has anyone used one of those handheld electrics sewing machines? do they get the job done?

would it be possible to turn this into pants? like, cut it off in the middle and sew some stuff onto it?

Of course it's "possible". What a silly question.
Whether it's possible _for you_ without going mad from frustration is a wholly different matter, and you need to provide a lot more information to get a useful answer to that.

Of what specifically?

How would you make it fit on the waist?

helmut lang style

the quick lace zipper is on those boots wrong, pic related

Any advice on dyeing bright white jeans to a faded ecru color? I'm thinking pigment dying to a light ecru is the way I want to go but I don't know where to start looking. Is this even a good idea?

made this days ago. patchworks is sewn by an industrial sewing machine. n theres a pic of Diane underlay the patchworks n patches. for the fit i tapered it knee down. all n all the fabrics used arent much, only from 3 different materials used so my balls dont sweat much. added 2 zippers at the in seam near the crotch area for ventilator. lol

i jus think the inconsistency of the patterns bugs me.

it would make for some very avant-garde pants desu

Its a big trial and error in patchwork. I think they look p good honestly.
Maybe use more of a variety in materials? More overlap?
From that angle i think your right leg looks more effay than the left.
Maybe for consistency you could add patches of the same thing over the top for aesthetic, like words or a pattern

those are not the same type of boot you retard

right. i been thinking of adding patches with lettering here n there. im on some silk screen shit rn. havent thought of investing good chunk of money into it jus yet. or is there any alternative to silk screen patches? also would cross stitching be aesthetically good?

Embroidered or woven patches are pretty nice. I think silkscreen will never go out of style, they just tend to wear fast.
I think multiple types of stitching (especially with different colors of thread) looks good

bamp

not literally the same boot but they look like the same style. anyway, I mean the zipper is laced in improperly, it's supposed to be underneath the (flaps?)

here, how to do it youtu.be/jvS-bhyBFmA

pretty sure they are supposed to be like that. bundeswehr pilotenstiefel.

what boots?

bundeswehr pilotenstiefel. it means "bundeswehr pilot boots". my bad