What do you guys think about estoicism...

What do you guys think about estoicism? Just started reading about it and gotta say its scary to find so much sense in this day and age.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aaFe3nGhdGI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

that's not even remotely stoicism you stupid memeshitter
not even e-stoicism

Is not to supress your emotions but to live calmly and controlling yourself. To enjoy what makes you happy without relying on it and to not pay attention to what makes you sad. I think it's pretty dope.

I heard christianism took a lot from estoicism, so I guess there are some similarities.

I find it really hard to do what stoics say, I dont even go out that often or have any major "distractions" but I just cant do everything. Any tips?

What do you mean? What are you failing to accomplish exactly?

being happy.

Sorry dude, that made me laugh so hard.
Stop trying to be happy. Just live life fully and learn to enjoy what comes your way and stop worrying about the littlelest thing. Live in balance, thats the real way to long term happiness.

Just remember that everybody dies. You die. Your friends die. Your enemies die. Those people that seem to be leading such great lives? They will die too. Those people that judge you for whatever reason? They'll die. Every time something or someone gets you down, just remember that it will all end and you might as well focus on those aspects of life that you enjoy. Nihilism is a good basis for Stoicism I think. It's like a more refined approach to Hedonism.

There is no reason for you to cry,
as you me and all else will die. :*

The problem is I dont enjoy anything except running and video games/internet, the only worry i have is not to be a leech off my parents, I have the best girlfriend in the world and when im with her im really happy, but she will propably move to another country with her parents to study and I will be alone again, after her I will have noone in my life again..

Not him but hat shit is depressing, you made my wife's son cry. You're not nihilist or estoic, you're an edgelord.

Dunno if you are being honest feel or bait feel but Ill bite.
Listen, you enjoy running, so run, you enjoy the meme life so meme. Simple as that. Get a job. You need to work in something, study something easy or something you think you will enjoy doing. You will figure it out eventually, we all do. You have a girlfriend, so enjoy her and her company, grow with her but don't get so anxious about losing her. If she is the one you will be together forever (Rick Astley) if she moves away or you guys break up or something then there is no reason to cry over it because she left and it was out of your reach to stop her from leaving. You will find another girl. Trust me. We all think after our first breakup that we are never gonna find someone like her again, that she was perfect, and trust me that goes beyond all reason, you will BELIEVE that, no matter what. But with time and some thought put into it you will get over her, find another one, move one. You just need to start distancing yourself from everything that seems so important and stop fearing losing everything, just enjoy what you have, develop yourself, be a virtuous human being, help your race get better. Just enjoy life man, even breathing is sweet.

Yeah but it will take 70 years before I die, and I dont have any close friends, enemies or people that judge me to really care about them dying.

He was a bit edgy, but he is not wrong. As soon as you understand that has no inner meaning into it, that you and everything will die eventually, the better. It clears yourself from a lot of stupid fears.

I guess I am an edgelord, yeah. But that kind of thinking always manages to calm me down when I am at low points in my life.

Mind explaining how I am not a Nihilist though?

Am I missing something? What is estoic? I thought the term was stoic

70 years? Awfully opitimistic, huh? Just joking.
You seem to have misunderstood my point. The idea is not to feed off of some kind of Schadenfreude that others will die, but to accept it as a simple fact and view life differently through that lense.

So spend those 70 years any way you want. If you want to play vidya and run... fucking do it. You're worried about leeching off of your parents? Tell them you don't want their money and go beg in the streets. You're only unhappy because you think you have to do something specific, to be someone specific and I am telling you that you don't! It doesn't matter what you do! You don't matter! Is that not the greatest thing ever?

OP here, sorry, it's "estoicismo" in spanish.

problem is before her I was enjoying being alone and was a bit happy, now that I found her and she is literally perfect, girl of my dreams you know? I never believed she would be mine, she is the only thing I care about, before her I felt a general apathy towards everything and I dont think I will be able to love anyone after her again. I had prepared my self to live a long and boring life but she turned the tables and havent felt anything as strong as this...

I'm telling you, that happens to all of us. I was living completely alone before my first gf and after her I thought I couldn't bare going lone wolf again, but you can and you will if it comes to it.
Listen to this when you have time.
youtube.com/watch?v=aaFe3nGhdGI

Oh boy, this thread isn't about Stoicism, it's about someones first love. I am the "everything dies anyway"-guy and just know that most of us have been where you are right now. It feels like shit and it will probably feel like shit for quite some time. Your own body will torture you and you will feel like going crazy time and time again.... buuuut it does get better. Just grin and bear it as best as you can buddy. Have any friends you can talk to? If yes, do that! If not, post here and some people will take the time to calm you down and remind you that this is only temporary. Talking to you parents might also help, if they are reasonable people.

I believe in you, Spanishbro. Where exactly are you from btw.? Spent a couple of months in Madrid last year.

Thanks anons, you really helped me today

stoicism would advise you against the things im going through, so you can see my mistakes and learn from them. and im not OP btw, im from greece

I am the spanishbro, the OP, not him. I actually wanted to know more about stoicism because I've been reading about it for quite some time now and it makes so much sense is silly that only now at 19 I'm starting to know about it.
Im from Valencia.

Yeah Stoicism is pretty great, it's a shame that it relies so much on a metaphysic without a solid proof behind it.

Oh wait.

Aha! Well I wish the best to both of you.

The only thing I want of stoicism is dank memes. So dump them. I want to see Seneca with sunglasses telling off some dumb dumb Nero.

Where can I find these?

his humour threads and facebook pages, check Rough Roman Memes