I don't understand leather jackets. Leather Jackets are suppose to be for bad boy types. Guys who get in trouble...

I don't understand leather jackets. Leather Jackets are suppose to be for bad boy types. Guys who get in trouble , throw up on themselves, fuck hookers, etc etc. But yet I always see people playing like over 1 thousand dollars on leathr jackets. How are you going to pretend to be the bad boy type when you are paying so much money, like a poser. No actual bad boy is going to be as faggy as spend that much money on a piece of clothing.

i'm sure the economics of handmade leather were different back when the "badboys wear leather jackets" fad started

They could be secretly rich and when they buy them they go fucking stomp on them until they look tight. I don't see the problem with it and anyone could wear leather jacket they don't have to be for a "bad boy" & being rich is effay

I disagree. Leather Jackets should only be worn by a certain type of person. And that is for guys looking for trouble and mayhem.

neck tattoos and sleeves were once only for badasses, outsiders, and criminals.

times have changed.

cultures are appropriated and cannibalized and beamed across the world at light speed and become popular trends.

nothing is safe, nothing is sacred, nothing has meaning.

still, you can tell who "looks authentic" because they are, or they fake it well. the person who wears full slp rock-wear one day, then flips to streetwear the next, looks at home in neither.

all you can do is dress in a way that makes you comfortable, because no one will perceive you precisely as you'd like them to.

bad boys sell drugs to be able to afford $1000 leather jackets faggot

a good goy would never drop that kind of money on clothes hed blame it on starving children or some shit

damn dude. that's the type of post people can screen cap and use for other threads. well put.

So you are saying if you buy a really expensive jacket you are a poser and that only bad boys should wear jacket? I mean i understand the only bad boys part but expensive jackets are a good thing

Leather is expensive. The classic "bad boy" motorcycle jacket, the Schott Perfecto, is around $750, so over a thousand isn't -that- much more expensive. Also, they last forever, and most people that own a nice one don't wear any other jacket unless it's raining.

Hello, friend. You obviously don't know shit about shit.
Leather jackets aren't just a 'cool guy uniform', they're what's keeping your skin from meeting the road and turning you into a road rashed, fleshless skeleton.

You don't skimp on safety, and you don't skimp on your bike.
Obviously, like times were different then, but if you're not willing to spend triple digits on something that's going to keep all your organs in one place when you dump out, you don't give a shit about riding or yourself.

If they can pull it off, they won't look like a rich poser in the first place.

What bike do you ride my friend?

nobody cares about faggot bikers. Go bitch on your personal blog faggot, while looking like retards with go pros attached to your head crying and bitching because a guy didn't put his blinker on.

i bought a cheap leather jacket.

part of me felt good.

part of me felt like a complete impostor.

i think they look best on kids who are actually in a music scene, and girls (who can play with masculinity, or juxtapose it with a dress/skirt), or actual tough/haggard biker types.

seeing one on clean-cut 25-65 year old guys, or weekend warrior retirees on harleys, always looks a bit sad to me. a costume for people who wished they were something else.

>watches YouTube biker blog

>still, you can tell who "looks authentic" because they are, or they fake it well. the person who wears full slp rock-wear one day, then flips to streetwear the next, looks at home in neither.
More like

>good looking
You can pull it off
>ugly
Fucking poser

what kind of faggot wears a regular leather jacket when riding?

disagree. case in point: bieber. good looking, but looked completely out of place forcing the slp rockstar look. he jumps to a different image popular meme image constantly (at the behest of a stylist, presumably) instead of settling into who he is.

>bad boy types
>Guys who throw up on themselves, fuck hookers
so leather jackets are for losers?

>always looks a bit sad to me. a costume for people who wished they were something else

Jesus. It's just clothes, you nimrod.

Stop taking things so seriously.

>wearing leather when there's space age materials that are 20x as strong

all my keks, retro-dude

So people can only have one style?
Ahh shit

context is a thing my friend

Honda Nighthawk

When do you think this 'bad boy' image was established?
That was the equipment back then.
Maybe in a century to two, we'll think of it differently, but no one is going to look at pic related and think 'God, that's a bad boy' like OP is talking about, despite it being objectively better protection. Especially not when the perfecto jacket still looms large in fashion.

See No shit. I didn't suggest you wear a 50s leather as protection.

idk. If I just saw this guy walking in the street and didn't know he was some famous singer for little girls, I would think he was pretty cool looking.

>undercut pompadour

............no

you're just one of those people who are easily fooled user. its ok

>Leather Jackets are suppose to be for bad boy types.
[Citation needed]

I entirely agree that paying too much money for "hardcore"/"street" clothing is a bit silly, but that doesn't lock leather jackets off to the general public. Under that logic, you couldn't wear brogues unless you were Irish, couldn't wear jeans unless American, etc.

(also, as one user correctly points out, the Schott Perfecto is nearly a thousand bucks, and that's the iconic jacket you're really referring to)

Im going to get a dual sport for my first bike soon but im only 18 idk if im fucking up or if i should go straight to street bike

Nothing wrong about having sex with hookers. Don't over value a woman's vagina or let society dictate when something is bad or good. You are given a girl money who is willing to have sex with you for said money. That's a great thing. Maybe you should live a little.

dumbass bateman requesting a citation for a cultural stereotype

t. depressed and alienated minority

Good leather that won't fall apart in a few years is expensive. How does spending money on clothes make you a poser, exactly?

That doesn't answer the question at all.
What the fuck is "authenticity" in this context, anyway? I have to be a grizzled biker to wear a leather jacket? Why?

Because if you are the type of person that could afford good leather, than you shouldn't be wearing leather jackets in the first place.

:(
I can afford leather jackets yet I love to start bar fights, get it?
money never changed me

that's fine, just tell everyone you stole the jacket from your stepfather at 8 years old after knifing him for slapping your alcoholic mom.

I didn't have to steal it, they made him take it off before he was arrested

You are the metaphorical embodiment of a fedora and a pack of lucky strikes.

Bad boys make money, wimps don't

What, bad boys don't have jobs?

my dad gave me this... told me he was proud of me once... fucken prick

>i'm sure the economics of handmade leather were different back when the "badboys wear leather jackets" fad started
Some of the most prized antique leather jackets today were sold in SEARS.
usinflationcalculator.com says an item that cost 7.79 in 1935 would cost 137.06 today.

paper-dragon.com says a construction worker in the early 30s could expect to have a 907 dollar salary.

google says a construction worker in 2014 could expect to have a 35,000 salary.

today aero leather will do you a repro of a hercules for 969 dollars.

usinflationcalculator.com says an item that costs 969 today would cost 55 dollars in 1935.

What? Why?

be sure to put a nice big knife hole through the front or back, then poorly patch it up/sew it. bonus points for blood staining the lining.

I'm pretty sure the modern day Leather Jacket is a black zip up hoodie.

One of the things about it is that it's harder to get the skins of these guys today, I think.

Horse hide can be argued to be ethical in that I believe it's illegal to slaughter them in Anglosphere countries. So if the hide was sourced here the horse must have died of old age, been put down because of disease or injury etc.

which is a damn shame because shell cordovan is absolutely gorgeous

i see you're neglecting the fact that the second hand market is a thing

This quality leather that's taken care of will outlive you and if your paying less than $500 it's probably suede or bonded trash
Also why does OP think it's the 50s

>stereotyping clothing in the current year

I remember high school, I had stupid opinions too

I've wondered what happens to famous race horses when they die and if the owners would be willing to sell you at least the cordovan.

found the guy who looks sad in a leather jacket

Horween's chromexcel horse hide is fantastic, too. Horse hide in general just seems better than cow to me.

Holy shit thats super Veeky Forums