Historical tv shows and films

What are you planning on watching, Veeky Forums? Gonna start pic related and Blackadder soon, hope they're good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CoTGQffgifo
youtube.com/watch?v=tmxJCPxmL7k
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9yrsBNIU1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Tudors is good but don't expect historical accuracy. From the same dude involved in the one good Elizabeth movie and that one bad sequel.

If you're into interpretation of history on TV watch the Showtime Borgias and than the European Borgia. Its weird.

HBO's Rome is my favorite, what would you recommend?

Also, why doesn't Byzantium or the HRE ever have any good movies about them?

It's pretty accurate, granted he doesn't get grossly fat but there's no egregious history snafus.

Agora is good. Its set in Roman Egypt and is about a Lady scientist.

I heard a lot of bad stuff about this actually. What makes it good?

People hate it mostly for the left-wing circlejerk, Christians are ignorant fundalmentalists who kill jews and burn down libraries and hate women learning, stuff that isn't true and even atheist histories condemned. But it constructs the environment of Eastern Roman Egypt pretty good.

Rachel Weisz in diaphanous clothes at the end of the day.

They're all soap operas and boring.

Wasn't Hypatia actually killed by fundies?

In terms of historical accuracy it's complete garbage.

So is this any good?

Nope.

For one thing: Marco Polo wasn't that fucking important in the Yuan Court. Literally be a foreigner from somewhere very far away and you get the attention of the Yuan Emperor/Khan.

Since, you know, you could be dangerous.

The Tudors is a pretty good introduction to the era. Multiple characters are combined intoone and some characters are flat made up, but the important stuff is there.

People sperg out because the costumes are more Elizabethan than Henrican but it does a really good job of showing how a guy can be an absolute monster, but people love him anyway.

Sorry I don't want to believe Mary Tudor was this cute.

Yes, for her connection to the Roman prefect, because of a conflict between the prefect and the bishop. Not because of her science. And literally the opening scene of the movie is Christians burning the library of Alexandria, shit that literally never even came close to happening.

The mongol court setting is prett damn cool.
Marco Polo as a character is personally involved in too many things, to the point that it bothered me even though I know nothing about the real story of Marco Polo.
Story is pretty neat but when battle scenes happen its clear that there is only 4 dozen people on both sides which ruins immersion.
Lots of sexy harem sluts.
It has the same thing that almost all Netflix originals have where there are obvious 'pilot characters' introduced so the makers can test the popular response to them and implement them in more episodes of people like them.

Is there any historical tv shows/ films witch don't revolve around nobles and the higher class, but rather the life of everyday folks and peasants? Sorry if it sounds dumb because I don't really watch anything that much, but from what I've seen and heard it's only that.

She probably was. It was that whole "cast aside from her birthright with the stroke of a pen because daddy wants to fuck around with sluts" thing that made her go a bit mental.

Rome.

Not really, because a show about everyday life is boring as fuck after ten minutes. Pillars of the Earth, MAYBE, for the peasant characters sections? Cadfael? But he's an ex crusader monk who solves murders.

There are excellent documentaries like Takes from the Green Valley and Farm though.

We do have paintings of young Mary Tudor you know.

>Rome
>A series about Julius Caesar, his family and their henchmen

Half the show is about Pullo and Vorenus, two plebeian veterans.

Was Vorenus a pleb? I thought he just wasn't wealthy.

And who do they work for?

Everyone who isn't a patrician is a pleb, so like 99% of the population.

As butchers, traders, henchmen, criminals, pimps, tavern owners... it seriously changes like every episode.

I know its based on a fiction book series, but was The Last Kingdom any good?

Anyone here ever seen the shogun miniseries and would you recommend it?

youtube.com/watch?v=CoTGQffgifo

It starts of well but ends up in a horrible mess with the main character being an edgy gary stu.

Not WHAT do they do, but WHO do they do it for?

octavian and anthony

Themselves mostly.

Slanders Saint Cyril of Alexandria

three kingdoms (2010)

youtube.com/watch?v=tmxJCPxmL7k
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9yrsBNIU1M

Yeah we have no record of it so it's out of place for someone to outright make a claim like that.

But Christian fundamentalists (not exactly a minority presence) were well known for burning secular or heretical works and pagan cites of worship.

The library of Alexandria was burned countless times, and it's not at all unreasonable to assume at some point they went at it.

But to start a show like that does suggest petty far left agenda.

Julius was as pleb as it got

The destructions of the library are pretty well known, the two major ones were by Caesar and by the Muslims.

But Agora is a Spanish film, Spaniards have a hate-boner for everything related to Catholicism.

>nobody on Veeky Forums will ever set up a stream for all of us to watch history movies together

just once i want to watch lawrence of arabia with you guys

Say what? I thought Spain was a Catholic country. Was I in a coma and the Marxists finally took over Spain?

Wolf Hall was very good.

>why doesn't Byzantium or the HRE ever have any good movies about them?
Because movies are made with a capitalist interest in mind and hardly anyone in the US knows about them which means that fewer people are interested in it. The same goes for producers, directors, screenwriters, etc. If anything they know the Voltaire meme, while at the same time being unable to put it in its historical context. The US are still very much influenced by its Anglosphere background and neither Byzantium nor the HRE are considered 'our history'. Also, given the fact that the HRE is still very much associated with WW2 and Nazis, you couldn't really make a movie where they're portrayed as good guys or a neutral party. If anything you'd see something about the Hussite rebellion, with Hus and his band being portrayed as an enlightened, multicultural band fighting for freedom and democracy while the HRE princes opposing him would be Proto-Nazis with thick German accents, committing genocide left and right.

Isabel from TVE

They aren't TV, but you might check out The Last Valley (1971, Michael Caine stars) about the 30 years war.
Also The Wind and the Lion (Sean Connery) about US intervention in Morocco. Brian Keith nails Teddy Roosevelt as President.

>Byzantium
The masses in the West don't know about it and it would just seem like made up fantasy shit.

It's what happens when you go through a national-catholic dictatorship, just like poles hate communism

Is that the Spanish one? That was actually a pretty nice series. I think I only watched the first series long ago, have to watch the rest.

This

I know story-wise this is probably Christian propaganda but is the setting and stuff accurate? I don't know much about Rome but this movie piqued my interest.

The only people I know that saw it were people that thought God's Not Dead was a good film so I can't really trust their judgment.

I have never met a Spaniard who wasn't a weed-smoking dirty Latino tier leftist, and who doesn't spend his time making snarky comments or insults about the Catholic Church.

That stuff still passes for edgy there because they were under a Catholic dictatorship 40 years ago, so they all feel like they're doing ebin resistance against Franco. Kind of like how everyone in Poland is an ultra Catholic pro-American free market fetishist because muh ebul commies.

It's pretty good. Season two comes out sometime this summer. Definitely not historically accurate but fun none the less. Lots of sex and tits too.

The mere recognition of Byzantium's existance would instantly disprove normalfags' views about the Christian Dark Ages in Europe.

I'm looking into a way to do this.
I think I found how, but first I need a site where I can upload a large video, and not risk copyright takedown as well.

The Tudors was enjoyable but The Borgias topped it imo. That show had it all.

I don't know what to think of Spain and Spanish people now. I know that like most western nations that Spain has a growing liberal influence but I thought most Spanish people were still traditional. I thought Spain would be more similar to Poland then say Germany on the traditionalist scale. I know that Franco held power for a long time after WW2 but it's not like he persecuted actually Spainards and Spanish culture like commies did in Poland.

>want to learn about Marco's experience
>try reading the Travels
>every chapter reads like a brief wiki description
I just wanted a taste of adventure...

Persecuting the culture is what makes it strong, if it manages to survive. That's why poles are all super nationalistic and why the most nationalistic people in Spain are the separatists.

Anyway, there's a big difference ideologically in Spain between the rural world and the big city.

>its not historically accurate so it must be bad

This. With a show, drama and entertainment will always far outweigh the need for historical accuracy.

He was a centurion, a patrician having that rank would be rare if not impossible. Also him being a pleb was part of the reason Caesar promoted him to senator.

At times for Caesar, at times for others, and at times for themselves.
>a show about Julius Caesar
The show isn't about him, its about the people around him and how they're affected by his actions.

That being said though I'll claim that Marco is the weakest part of the show, and if it revolved entirely around the Mongol court and its intrigues, with Marco serving little more than a narrator/exposition would be much better.

The Return of Martin Guerre

It's fantastic and a true story.

>not risk copyright takedown
Its most likely gonna be a sub-30 person stream anyway, no one is gonna give a shit if you stream for such a small amount.

it's good, but a bit too much on the white monkey saving the day. Atleast he gets what is comming for him.

Isabel.

I will.
Besides Lawrence of Arabia, what else should I have ready?

There's Fetih 1453. I enjoyed it personally.

Apocalypse Now
Gallipoli
Zulu
All Quiet on the Western Front
Full Metal Jacket
The Bridge on the River Kwai
HBO's Rome
Saving Private Ryan
Deadliest Warrior
Maybe some Kurosawa films about feudal Japan

This, I'll watch it with you too senpai.

>The mere recognition of Byzantium's existance would instantly disprove normalfags' views about the Christian Dark Ages in Europe.

It won't because Byzantine history refers to Early Medieval Western Europe as EXACTLY the place of niggerous barbarism.

Aw fuck yeah I forgot about Deadliest Warrior
I still remember the ep about IRA vs Taliban

my nigga, i still have to watch the 3rd season

Where can I download a batch?
The ones on kat all have way too few seeders

This was a top tier show

you can stream them for free on the drama fever site

Rashomon was really great, I'd encourage you to watch it.

I agree. Wolf Hall was great. I'll probably rewatch it soon. Mark Rylance is fantastic in it

Why the fuck is she wearing a hijab?

Are you really this retarded?

looks like she's wearing a habit, not a hijab

There was an awesome old TVE series about the Castillian civil war. It was pretty old though. I doubt that it can be found on the web.

If it was awesome, it might have gotten a re-release or remaster, in which case someone probably uploaded that somewhere.
What was it called?

That covering women's hair is a muslim thing is a modern age meme.

I dont remember it. My father putred it to me as a child.

I really liked La Grande Illusion.
It's a French film that showed a lot of the chivalry that was still around in the nobility during WWI

>Deadliest Warrior
>>>/suicide/

The show was based around giving history nerds a big budget to fuck around with historical hypotheticals.
What's not to like? Unless you didn't like the outcome of a historical figure you're infatuated with.

Has anyone watched any of those NHK Taiga Drama?

Thinking on starting one of those but i don't know which one to pick

There´s this turkish tv series called Magnificent Century, about Suleyman of the Ottoman Empire, i´ve watched the first few episode and was sorely disappointed by the show over-focus on harem intrigues instead of a historically accurate depiction of Suleyman and the Ottoman Empire i had hoped to see.

>history nerds
Those fucks were not history nerds and their hypotheticals were certainly not done in the right way

Flip here who used to watch shitloads of those alongside Chink dramas.

Here's a few recommendeds.
>Oda Nobunaga
>Shinsengumi! (perhaps the only NHK Taiga drama that was considered "cool" by Japs.)
>Yoshitsune.
>One-Eyed Masamune (if you want to see what an 80's Ken Watanabe looks like.)

I've head "Aoi Tokugawa" was also pretty good.

Do you have oppinion on it?

Didn't get to watch that. NHK sort of left the country in 2000's. I managed to watch later ones via Satellite.

Oh, did you get to watch the Kanbei one?

I like Kanbei as a historical figure, so i was thinking on maybe starting with him.

FuRinKaZan? Yeah. It was ok.

no, Gunshi Kanbei

No idea whether its period accurate but i enjoyed it.

t.athiest.

I liked this show but forgot about it for a while and missed the last 2 seasons but apparently it ends on a massive cliff hanger so i havent gone back.

Anyone here watched the other The Borgias?

>tfw when they make Bayan, the General who lead the armies that conquered the southern Song, a fucking blind fengshui ninja.