Celts

How does Veeky Forums feel about the Celts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin#Consonants
youtube.com/watch?v=ghPppwB9MPA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Celts are basically the Wojaks of Europe with Latins being Pepe and Germanics as Spurdo.

t. Meme historian

They were what the Aztecs were to Cortes

Gold laden bitches that Caesar thought needed a conquering

>Overrating the technology difference between the Romans and Celts

They were literally cucks who encouraged wife sharing.

I am angry.
I AM ANGRY ABOUT CELTS.

Oh not actually in that manner.

More like smart diplomacy and, battles and sieges to wring a bunch of gold out of other people.

You know the Celts had sacked Rome right?

You got it wrong the wives shared the husbands.

What does that have to do with the fact that they were into cuckoldry?

They cucked the Romans, baka.

Yes because cucking was an important part of their culture

Just like shitposting is yours.

Kelts or Selts?
I always say Kelts, but I've heard both are acceptable and that's fucking stupid

Since this seems like an issue that often appears in various threads, how related were the various Celts from an ethnic point of view?
I know that certain markers like Y-DNA R1b are linked to Celts but is there anything more in detail?

Slets is the basketball team the Boston Celtic's pronunciation. I'm not sure if it's a butchering of the other pronunciation or just what they made up but that's where it comes from.

Seltic/s if you're talking about Boston basketball or Glasgow football, Kelts if anything else

All Celts, as well as Italics are closely related, and too Germanics too a bit more distantly.

Gauls, I hate them. My grandfather hated them to.

Both are acceptable but I think the reason for pronouncing it with a K is pretty stupid

It was pronounced with an S when it first entered English like all other Latin words, but in the 19th century when Celtic revival took off some fags wanted to pronounce it was a K because 'that's how Caesar pronounced it'

> 'that's how Caesar pronounced it'
One time I unironically asked for "Kai-sar's salad" in Subway.

No regrets.

Basically everyone is descendes from the Yamnaya who moved into Europe around 3000 BC. Those who went north became Germanics, the Italics stayed in Hungary before moving to Italy around 1200 BC, everyone else became known as Celt.

>that's how Caesar pronounced it

proofs?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin#Consonants

That's strange. As far as I know every latin derived language pronounces it "selts".

Your point?

no point, just pointing it out

Why is cuckoldry wrong?

I pronounced it selts for years.

WE HONGER FOR BLOD AN BATTEL

Retarded savage fucks who got slaughtered en mass by based Romans.

No, we Italians pronounce it CHELT.

It was 99.9% likely that that was Roman propaganda, Romans liked to think all non-Romans were sexual degenerates. The fact that Celtic cultures were more egalitarian when it came to womens rights probably led to Roman jokes about Gaulish women being promiscuous. I have a very hard time thinking a masculine warrior culture like the Gauls would have been 100% okay with wife sharing.

The term is Greek in origin and was "Keltoi," "Celtae" when Latinized. Latin "C" was always pronounced hard.

Gauls and the ones in Iberia were pretty cool.
Other than that I can only really say that their music (of at least modern music influenced by theirs) is pretty decent.

>Le undisciplined meme.
Pretty bad actually.

The gauls were an interesting bunch. They had a surprisingly developed culture and society, the only reason they are thought of as being primitive is that literacy was confined to a very select group of people.

>They had a surprisingly developed culture and society,

What?

No, not really.

>get naked
>paint self blue
>kill enemies
>take heads
>show them off at dinner parties

bretty cool guys/10

Go tell me how you think they conducted themselves.

I bet you think they were ruled by kings or """"""chieftains""""""""..

Thelts in correct spanish from Spain, because C=!S.

Tell me how they were "pretty advanced" for their time considering that all their neighbour culture were more advanced than them excluding the Germanic people.

So who is gondola?

Who just observes, does not interfere?

they're what happens when the football team get to create a society.

literally dudebros: the tribe

For starters: their weapons? Shit was copied by Romans and Greeks. Rome more so than the Greeks.

Schwyz

> implying the slavs arent the wojaks of europe

They were advanced at different things. They were better smiths and had the ability to make better swords than the Romans. Their society was based on cattle so they knew more about husbandry but also grew taller and stronger than Romans due to a high protein diet.

It's pronounced with a hard "C" is all Celtic languages dipshit

I think everybody in this thread rather than spouting meme opinions would benefit greatly from reading about Celtic culture and history. But since we know that's not gonna happen, play the europa barbarorum mod for rome total war, where history of greeks, romans and celts as well as other european civilizations is explained in great detail.

people need to stop assuming they know all the knowledge and actually pick up a book

Snownigger tier people's. Got fucked by Latins and anglo-Teutonics so hard that they have been bred into near non-existence. Scotland and Ireland as the last places where the majority of the population are Celtic and they are shit places.

Their religion was the most stupid among religions

Everyone except the Scots got Royally buttfucked by Germanics and French, and even then the Scots got it in the end.

This isn't true

Well, in this part of Europe, Burebista apparently beat some of them and integrated them into his confederation.
Gave them some land in Transilvania, which was good, since they started pottering, mining and metalworking stuff really well, influencing the dacians back as well.
Zamolxis seems to have taught their druids some tricks, as well, if Origen is to be believed.
Also, anatolian celts were AWESOME.
>CHELT.
Heh, i think it's a general romance language thing.

Brittany and Wales still speak their tongues to a point, I'd say Cornwall is just barely alive.

>and even then the Scots got it in the end.
How? Act of Union was a Scottish treaty and so was The Union of the Crowns

Caesar wrote himself that the Celts/Gauls had established road networks, trade routes, lived sedentary lifestyles and had permanent growing townships and settlements and specifically called them civilized. He then makes a double note about how Germanics were primitive warmongering barbarians who didn't even understand the concept of trading, bartering, or even diplomacy and wore rags for clothing.

Celts passed technologies like improved forging and chainmail to various cultures through trade, especially for the Greeks, Romans, and Persians.

Well, lowland Scotland had already been Germanicized for some time by that point.

Literally the goat ethnic group whose descendents still rule the world.

REMOVE CELT
youtube.com/watch?v=ghPppwB9MPA

Has anyone realized that so called "germanics" and "nordics" are nothing more than cold-headed celts?

History really screwed over the Celts, Ireland is the only independent Celtic country today.

Celts are just an anti-english meme now.

muh eternal anglo

>Ireland
>independent
Laughing Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.jpg

Imagine a blonde or ginger Spartan whose really into wildlife, apart from the occasional one whose a wizard

>Implying Celts weren't Pepe and Rome wasn't Wojack. Germanics as Spurdo I can agree with.

They enjoyed cucking if that's what you mean

I say kelts, but I could be wrong

They were good at designing tools and finding various uses for animal fat. They invented soap and shaving gel. They also may have invented a few musical instruments.
Oh and they invented chainmail, which you have to admit came in quite handy.

Why do you think that user, are you just a christfag who doesn't like polytheism?

Cornish has been extinct since the 18th century, a handful of enthusiasts have learned it as a hobby but it's a dead language.

The Celts had a fascinating culture, quite unlike that of the Germanics or Latins. They believed in reincarnation, not in this world but in the Otherworld, a kind of parallel dimension. So strong was this belief that they were even known to make loans that were to be repaid in the next life, and this certainty of personal survival after death made them fearless warriors. They were also famously superstitious, making sacrifices to their varied deities to ward off evil magic, and collecting the heads of their enemies since Celtic tradition had it that the soul resides in the head.

Their whole society was based around a culture of cattle-raiding, where each clan was effectively at war with all its neighbours, all the time, but they were also a culture of traders and craftsmen. To resolve this dilemma, they established "Oppidia", which were fortified sites, usually on hilltops, where no clan conflict was allowed and where traders could gather in safety. These were not quite cities because very few people actually lived there all the time, but they served the same role that cities filled in more civilised societies.

Also of note are the Druids, the priestly caste who preserved the theological and legal traditions of the Celts. They underwent a decades-long education which emphasised the memorisation and perfect reproduction of long tales and lore, since the Druids believed that holy matters should never be written down, but could only be maintained by an oral tradition. These priests held a position of great honor among the Celts, able to end wars and to pass judgement even upon kings. They travelled freely across the Celtic world, providing a strong unifying cultural force.

The Celts did use writing for other matters, using the Greek alphabet to write both in their own language and in Greek. This literacy was mostly confined to the southern parts, which had the longest contact with the Greeks via the great city-state of Massillia / Marseilles.

Like those guys, they are the creators of my hometown and lived there for 300 years untill the Romans came and fucked up everything. I can almost imagine the druids walking around my area. Great material culture and interesting religion, but don't like this neo-pagan stuff which feeds on them.

Weren't the Romans originally a Celtic tribe that mixed with the Etruscans?

>Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Fuck off Emrys,
Romans are Italics

Why would they be? It's completely strange and irrational in my opinion to consider proto Slavic tribes as cucks considering the fact that they sacked Rome in 455.

>Scotland
>Leltic
No, they're really not, not at all.

Wales is the only place in the world with actual real Celtic people living there, Ireland, Scotland and Cornwall are just memes and crybabies that hold onto a dead culture of extinct people.

>Ireland is the only independent Celtic country today.
Isle of Man is not part of the UK, but relies on them for tonnes of shit. Not sure if that counts or not.

great pic

t. Allbyrtw Ap Byrhbwsa

Highland Scotland and the western coasts of Ireland are Celtic. Lowland Scotland and most of Ireland are Anglic.

Why is that?

all fucking celts must fucking hang

Cuck is easily the most retarded buzzword ever conceived in Veeky Forums

>cuck

Hey look, a buzzword.

I don't think you understand what buzzword means. We're discussing LITERAL wife-sharing here.

Brits, frogs, western germans, northern italians and spaniards and the dutch are all pretty much ethnic celts. Celts are probably the most important ethnic group in human history.

They had warrior women.

I always found that fascinating.

But then again, they relied more on passion and honour than strategy and tactics.

Not discounting the fact that these women were killer of men, but overall, more passionate than logical.

That's hardly how its used most of the time here, though.

Spartans shared their wives, and they were arguably one of the most vicious fighting forces of the ancient world.

Not saying that I support wife sharing, but it's not that big of a deal within an ancient civilisation.

Why should I care what other people who are not me, do with their spouse?

WE WUZ EMPIRES AND SHEIT

WE ARE EMPIRE AND SHIET ftfy

>Imagine a blonde or ginger Spartan whose really into wildlife, apart from the occasional one whose a wizard
They have LITERALLY nothing in common with the spartans.

Shouldn't that be a laughing Merkel?

This. The Celts were very big on showing off their wealth and boasting about their prowess, they ate rich food and especially meat, and appalled the Greeks and Romans by drinking their wine undiluted. Apart from being a race of warriors, there's really no similarities between them and Sparta.

Spartans were not even warriors, they were soldiers.

Well quite. The Celtic way of war relied on single combat between champions, much like the ancient Greeks before the invention of the Hoplite. Most actual fighting would have happened during cattle raids, and the average Celt was brave (and often drunk) rather than especially skilled. When the Romans fought them, they made fairly short work of their ill-disciplined mobs, despite the technological superiority of Celtic weapons and armor.