Starting a new job. Need to buy Business Casual to Business Formal pieces

Starting a new job. Need to buy Business Casual to Business Formal pieces.
I Need:
Shirting
Trousers
Black shoes (already own brown Allen Edmonds)
Tan chinos
Maybe another suit (already own a good J Crew one(navy) and a meh Banana Republic one(gray))

Checked out tuxbell but they dont have much in the way of more formal clothing. I'm meaning to hit up Charles Tyrwhitt. I live in NYC. I'm not looking to go crazy but I want to buy stuff that looks good and will last, but isnt terribly expensive.

I work in HFT dev at one of these (pic related).
Any other brand suggestions?

Thanks senpai

Other urls found in this thread:

lp-economie-gestion.ac-montpellier.fr/2/images/phocadownload/english 2010-ubs-dress-code.pdf
slidebelts.com/products/cordovan-premium-full-grain-leather-belt
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Interested in shirts and trouser suggestions as well; my 32W slacks from BR are getting loose now (,:

>

No thanks. I dont want to be told to go to Uniqlo/J Crew/BR

This is by no means a list of BEST places, but just some stuff that will likely fit into the price range, given that you likely aren't rolling in dough yet. If I'm incorrect, let me know and I can amp up/down the price range.

>Shirting
Brooks Brothers. See if they have a sale going on. CT is also an okay option (wearing one now), but I prefer Brooks' fits and quality.
>Trousers
J.Crew tends to be nice in this area, Banana Republic to a lesser degree. The prices aren't awful, the fabrics are decent, and the quality is okay. Brooks Brothers sucks at this for some reason. I've also had moderately decent success at places like Calvin Klein, but wouldn't bank on it.
>Black shoes (already own brown Allen Edmonds)
Black Allen Edmonds, then. Can't beat that brand, you know the quality. I wouldn't go Johnston and Murphy or Cole Haan unless you wanted semi-beater dress shoes.
>Tan chinos
See trousers.
>Maybe another suit (already own a good J Crew one(navy) and a meh Banana Republic one(gray))
Check out a M2M joint if you have the time/energy - Black Lapel, Blank Label, Indochino, etc. - and definitely get something in a navy or blue. J.Crew still has good fabrics, but their cuts are weird in my opinion. Brooks allegedly has good suiting cuts now, but I don't quite believe it, I'll have to check it out for myself.

lp-economie-gestion.ac-montpellier.fr/2/images/phocadownload/english 2010-ubs-dress-code.pdf

Key takeaway: don't press your own shirts, it's for plebs. Wear a tasteful watch, preferably something understated like a Vacheron Constantin.

>I dont want to be told to go to Uniqlo/J Crew/BR
I hate to say it, but these aren't bad choices given the field you're working in and the clothing you're looking for, at least at the price point. You're ostensibly not in a place to be dropping real money on dress clothing.

(Also: Keep in mind that rolling in on your first day with excessively expensive clothing trying to show off is generally considered a bad thing, be it at a bank or a law firm.)

>excessively expensive
>show off
Those are two different things though, as long as your stuff is tasteful and understated nobody is going to look at you askance and if anything you'll stand out *less*. Picking a flashy sharkskin suit and herringbone shirt with french cuffs and a loud tie is a whole other issue and you can find plenty of cheap brands offering that kind of crap. Especially at Tyrwhitt, they sell a lot of terrible looking stuff, cuffs are all out of proportion, gaudy fabrics, horrible fused collars and cuffs. Obviously you can get more tasteful fabrics but you still have the fused cuffs and collars, it looks cheap. But if you get it on sale, it can be an ok budget choice.

Also Brooks Bros shirt fits - all of them - are for really out of shape people, the torso proportions assume you've either got a belly for the "classic" fits, or you've got no shoulders for the slim/extra slim fits. Obviously that depends on your body. I tend to factor in another $30 in my budget for altering any shirts unless I've found a brand/cut that fits me perfectly (in my case Kamakura has a cut that's perfect off the shelf)

Also (I wasn't going to jump in but here I go), I'm really surprised you didn't mention suit supply, and surprised you mentioned Indochino (what's next, My.Suit?)

For simple tasteful solid ties, check out Chipp on 43rd street. Just the right width for a boring office worker. Kamakura also has some nice options although they can get a little too colorful. BB, again, is a bit stuck in the mud - their standard widths will look good on either their old fashioned full cut sack suits, or a fashion-forward wide peak lapel suit that wouldn't be office appropriate. Their narrower ones (like from Red Fleece) are way too narrow.

>Those are two different things though
I think you're entirely correct, especially w/r/t Tyrwhitt. I don't think I'd touch their suiting with a 10ft pole.

>Also Brooks Bros shirt fits - all of them - are for really out of shape people
Agreed, but tailoring them does wonders. I go for the classic and get the stomach tapered in like crazy, probably remove half the fabric. I'm frankly just in love with the fabric, which generally has served me well better than even significantly more expensive shirts. Agreed re: budget.

>Also (I wasn't going to jump in but here I go), I'm really surprised you didn't mention suit supply, and surprised you mentioned Indochino (what's next, My.Suit?)
Agreed. Suit Supply is pretty decent at the price point. Indochino's not awful when on sale, to be honest - wouldn't say it's gonna blow anyone's mind away, but it's not on-fire awful and probably about on par with J.Crew in terms of quality.

wait what's wrong with BB for suiting?

my high school graduation is in October (and I'm invited to a wedding then too) and I'm planning to buy a red fleece one for those occasions-is it fit, shoulder divots, quality in general?

I am better off with Indochino instead? I live in Toronto so I have a lot of options to choose from

I also don't mind getting it tailored, either

My main objection with them is the fit, so if you end up getting a Red Fleece suit and getting it tailored, I don't see much of a big issue. Most BB suits are pretty high quality but - like the user above infers - tend to be cut for fat people with godawfully old/ugly features, like huge lapels and stuff. A well-tailored Red Fleece suit likely wouldn't suffer from that.

Their standard stuff is kind of fuddy duddy old mannish. Their fashion forward stuff is either too casual/fashion forward (red label) or too runway (black fleece). Shoulder divots have nothing to do with brand btw.

For the purposes you mentioned it doesn't really matter, Indochino might be a good choice because it's more "fun", I'd just hesitate to wear their stuff walking into Deutsche Bank or some such thing

thanks for the info

Capitalist scum

Uniqlo is great for button downs you mong

Button down shirts are highly questionable for wearing with a suit, let alone Uniqlo button downs which look like some cholo streetwear

I like them for casual/untucked with jeans, but seriously hope you never try to dress up in Uniqlo

Yeah their OCBDs are solid. I am not a fan of their "dressier" shirts when it comes to patterns, quality, and fit. I wasn't trying to say I was too good for those places. I wanted to get suggestions for places that I didn't know about.

Also get your second suit in charcoal gray. I got a pretty nice price on a Hart Schaffner Marx suit at Nordstroms Rack but took it to my tailor for alterations.

Welcome to the hell that is banking.

Agreed with these points and we both wear basically the same thing. CT shirts are a little to short in the sleeve for me, so I need to size up the sleeves when I order. I like Brook's shirts but they sag - I haven't tailored them. I want to try Thomas Pink sometime but I heard they're not worth it unless they're on sale.

I've had a good experience with Brook's Fitzgerald fit trousers. They're pretty comfortable and look nice. I just don't feel like spending $200 whenever I need a pair of pants. I'll try J Crew out for trousers.

Brook's suits are alright. I have 2 1818's that I beat the shit out of and they've held up so far. The interior construction kind of sucks though and mine ripped in the underarm (the fabric inside). I wish the buttons on the sleeve were actually buttoned and not just sewed on. I haven't tried any M2M suits.

Do you have any recommendations for belts? Mine is falling the fuck apart.

well fuck jcrew is even more expensive. goddamn son

I interned last summer at my same employer so I know what I'm in for. Also in Tech in an IB which is a somewhat different beast.

OP here. Copped two Kamakura shirts. Great fit and great quality for price.

>Do you have any recommendations for belts? Mine is falling the fuck apart.
Bit embarrassed to admit this, but I'm a fan of slide belts for regular, IDGAF-wear:
slidebelts.com/products/cordovan-premium-full-grain-leather-belt

They aren't nearly as good as my higher-end belts from better leather places, but they hit the right notes for everyday wear - the leather is high quality, the leather is backed with a sort of rough felt so they stay in place, the slide action allows for a greater degree of freedom in terms of tightening, etc.

Nah not for wearing a suit. I believe they call them "broadcloth cotton" on the website. Just office casual stuff. I usually wait until they're on sale and buy a bunch.

Not sure where you get the cholo idea from, I see shirts I own on the guys on Silicon Valley. I'm not saying that's an endorsement, but it is a testament to the kind of business casual look they can offer.

>Nah not for wearing a suit
Yes, for wearing a suit. It is not impossible to wear button downs with a suit but the collar has to be appropriately proportioned. You can barely fit a tie under the Uniqlo collars
>Not sure where you get the cholo idea from
Cholo style is wearing a collared shirt untucked with the cop button fastened. Uniqlo "dress shirts" have short tails, meaning they are designed to be worn untucked. These kinds of shirts are usually pitched as "you can wear 'em both ways" but a proper dress shirt has enough tail to stay in place as you stand up, sit down, and so on, throughout the day.
> I see shirts I own on the guys on Silicon Valley
Silicon Valley style is EXTREMELY anti-suit, so your argument is basically the same as mine: they are not appropriate for wearing inside an investment bank.

Good choice. They're my go-to since I found them.

Tech as in you're a support person / backdoor? The tech people at my bank usually wear jeans and a polo or something and nobody bats an eye. Shocked that one of the banks in that picture requires their back office people to wear suits and ties.

Not really a fan desu. If they had a buckle instead of a slide I'd like it. Do you work in finance?

>If they had a buckle instead of a slide I'd like it.
Alternatively, Allen Edmonds has dece quality leather belts with buckles. If you need cheaper, Nordstrom ones aren't awful, I got one in an emergency and was pleasantly surprised.
>Do you work in finance?
Nope. Lawyer.

My father is a banker and all of his shirts are Charles tywhitt. Im just an intern so i've got jcrew.

I like those Allen Edmonds belts and they'd match my shoes I got from them. I'll pay them a visit. Thanks m8

Take your suit back to Brooks Brothers and have them fix the tear. They fix seams and lining for free nigga.

No. Tech as in Software Engineer developing the HFT engine. The role meets with traders on the reg.