Is having a vinyl collection effay ?

Is having a vinyl collection effay ?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36040746
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_rate
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

only if you never mention it

Only if you have bands like neck deep and state champs and Pierce the veil in it

This I have a record collection and people are always shocked to find out when it happens to come up which is way more effay than announcing it all the time

vinyl can be novel if you don't pretend it's the Superiorâ„¢ audio format

this

i love huey lewis and the news
hip to be square was their best work

these

and never buy new records

then it's effay. going to used record stores and browsing is so fun I would do it even if it wasn't tho desu t b h

This. And also making sure it isn't a collection of plebcore albums really helps.

But vinyl is the superior audio format

yes but only if you avoid the tumblrina nonsense of buying newly released shitty indie bands like Mac Demarco or whatever. All of it will sound bad because it's mixed and mastered for digital and not vinyl.

Buy some good records like Fat Larrys Band or Surface

cd's have a sampling rate of 44.1khz. perfect human hearing cannot hear above 22khz so shut the fuck up with that shit

vinyl degrades in quality every time you play it, that's part of the magic. it's a bit like a live recording in that sense. it will never sound like that again. it's beautiful and ephemeral. accidental flaws contrasted with high-effort craftsmanship. the essence of wabi-sabi. it will never be digital. no 24-bit / 192 kHz recordings mastered for a critical audience of bats and dogs. just human audio, for humans. real vinyl lovers choose their recordings carefully and listen to them only when the time is right. because there will only be so many chances.

of course you guys wouldn't know that because you're poor, you only listen to worn out used vinyl that a real connoisseur already discarded, and your gear is such garbage that it wouldn't matter if you were listening to AM radio, you wouldn't know the difference assuming you cared in the first place. playing some random wagner shit that you had literally never heard of until you fished it out of a garbage can, on your fisher-price turntable plugged into some thrifted speakers that were mediocre when they were new. I bet you don't even know what an RIAA equalization curve is.

you're basically trying to be 2006-era williamsburg hipsters, which I guess is cutting edge fashion in 2016-era toronto suburbs.

pic related, please don't touch it. it's expensive.

Please let this be a copypasta

feel free to re-use it if you wish, I give you permission

I actually have that on vinyl. Not because of the movie though, but because my mother had it.

wgaf? If you enjoy it, start collecting, if not don't.

Something about the crispy crackle of a vinyl player makes me enjoy it more.

Owning music makes it sound better, smoking a self-rolled cig makes it nicer. Its a heavy placebo thing I guess.

Vinyl has its place among professionals DJs, I cant really enjoy a DJ set if they aren't using vinyl because I could probably do a similar thing using CDJs or a normal mixer.

Also in used record stores, most of the music will be fairly unknown, there's a fuck load of sick old music out there that isn't even on soundcloud/youtube. Half the disco music I play is ripped from vinyl personally and isn't even on youtube, people shazam my tracks and can't ID them. Its a nice feeling.

>you're basically trying to be 2006-era williamsburg hipsters, which I guess is cutting edge fashion in 2016-era toronto suburbs.
kek why is toronto such a shit city everyone there is like 4 years behind on everything

well we can hear above 22 kHz, and ideally the sampling rate would be a little higher so high frequencies can have a little more detail (at 22.05 kHz all you can have is a square wave on a cd ). it doesn't fucking matter though

THE DREAM

can you imagine playing a 45rpm funk single at 33 and then turning the space echo on

you could make anything vaporwave

i'm actually pretty deaf, i can't hear above 15-16, but i'm a musician so i think that makes up for it

I'm so close to being a retard and buying a space echo even though I know any affordable ones will break soon and there are plenty of good replicas........but it's so cool.

thanks lori

>even though I know any affordable ones will break soon

They're actually not that crazy to fix

Wouldn't say so but it definitely gets the girls wet if you play the right stuff. Theres something special about saying hey let me play this for you and throwing on a vinyl.

What's the best place I can sell my vynil records?

Discogs maybe ebay.

>a vinyl

fuck off u poser

>never buy new records
you're falling for the meme

Meh so my turntable isnt the best yet. Honestly its served me well up to this point but I plan on picking something better up soon.

Vinyl record, or is that not autistic enough for you to understand?

>Trying to fit in by correcting some one when he said it just fine.

sorry for being mean, its because i hate myself

>you're falling for the meme
no, you are by spending >$20 on a reissue

>stacked horizontally
>turntable on carpet

has a point, you know.

>War of the Worlds
very nice

I just moved in only my important stuff is with me right now the rest is in storage my stuff will be fine for a day or 2 I promise you.

You should only collect vinyl if you're a DJ or serious audiophile.

Otherwise you're just a fucking poser. That turntable from Urban Outfitters is destroying your records.

Most of Veeky Forums are like this guy: bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36040746

This.

Also since this is a thread about vinyl I got this bootleg today at a suitcase rummage.

Haven't played it yet so don't know how shitty the quality is yet and my turntable is fucked atm. Thought it could be a unique addition to my collection though.

i bought it for like 50 cents as a joke.
if you have friends who like american psycho it's pretty fun to play it when they're over

Prob not, I have one

First post is best post

You're misunderstanding how sound are played back from samples. It's not done by just lining up samples and sending a line of voltages to the speakers; everything is done in the Fourier space. Essentially (for those who don't know math), this means that the sound is created by adding up a bunch of sine waves. This may sound arcane, but it's actually how our ears work in the first place (each hair picks up a different frequency, and our brain adds them up).

For this reason, square waves aren't really produced (or heard) as on-off signals, but rather a sum of a bunch of sine waves.

The reason 44kHz is needed has precisely to do with 20 kHz being the max for human hearing - but you need to sample at over twice the max frequency you want to reproduce in order to reproduce it properly in this Fourier space. This is called the Nyquist frequency:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency

People have this impression that CDs sound mechanical because the samples are somehow being lined up in a stairstep pattern - but this doesn't happen at all. It's done in the Fourier space, so the output audio is just a sum of smooth sine waves.

Claiming vinyl is better because of sampling is completely wrong, and is a non-issue. What people are claiming is the "warm" sound of vinyl is actually the format's imperfections; e.g. the groove being worn down. You can argue about this aspect until the cows come home - but a CD will, in general, reproduce the original sound better than a record.

meant this article:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_rate

>Good Nyquist Rate discussion explaining square waves, sampling, etc. and disproving inane misconceptions about vinyl
I love you, you can come to my house and fuck my sister

>all this autistic shit flinging

I just buy records because I have a thing for old tech. Same reason I have a space in my record shelf for cassettes. I like the warm analog sound, it's pleasing to me. Also I snapchat it when I get a new album sometimes idgaf. Yall too extra lmao

I don't really care if people prefer vinyl, but it gets a little annoying when they spout the same, wrong reasons for liking it over CDs (especially regarding sampling). Also, I'm a math major, and Fourier analysis (and all its generalizations) is one of the most useful, interesting topics I come across.

Pretty much this

>People have this impression that CDs sound mechanical because the samples are somehow being lined up in a stairstep pattern
People have the impression that CD sounds like ass because early CD players weren't anywhere near as good at DA conversion as they are now. You kids have no idea how good you have it these days.
>but a CD will, in general, reproduce the original sound better than a record.
In general, actually, the mastering of the original recording and the playback equpiment is 90% or more of the equation. CD and vinyl both have a vast amount of unused potential. The problem is that most recordings sound like dogshit, this was true in 1950 and it remains true in 2016. Since the 80s there have been improvements if you seek out audiophile-oriented record labels but there are sacrifices. Mostly what you sacrifice is instead of listening to some top-tier orchestra playing your preferred repertoire, you end up listening to a ridiculously good quality recording of some no-name artist screeching out some Xenakis or Ligeti on an experimental carbon fiber viola da gamba or whatever.

tl;dr all this arguing over CD or vinyl is a distraction from the true issue

>People have this impression that CDs sound mechanical because the samples are somehow being lined up in a stairstep pattern - but this doesn't happen at all. It's done in the Fourier space, so the output audio is just a sum of smooth sine waves.
>Claiming vinyl is better because of sampling is completely wrong, and is a non-issue. What people are claiming is the "warm" sound of vinyl is actually the format's imperfections; e.g. the groove being worn down. You can argue about this aspect until the cows come home - but a CD will, in general, reproduce the original sound better than a record.

Unfortunately, the real world doesn't take advantage of digital formats' potential. Learn about music mastering trends over the last 20 years - specifically relating to dynamic range - and you will learn that vinyl's physical "limitations" are precisely what allows it to sound more "natural" in many cases (assuming a halfway decent vinyl mastering job). Here, I'll give you a head start... search terms: loudness wars, clipping, dynamic range compression.

kek adikt carts + linn turntable

I'm actually familiar with all those ideas. Yes, I agree with you - in general, modern recordings are a mess, and I don't know how it came to be that people would think such heavily compressed (dynamically), consistently loud recordings actually sounded good. Seriously - who thinks this sounds good?

I suppose my post is mostly concerned with sampling - which is one thing that people bring up when they compain about CDs. What you're talking about - as you made it clear - is not an issue of CDs themselves, but of trends in modern recording.

This is why I avoid "digitally remastered" like the plague.

>new albums aren't released on vinyl

>This is why I avoid "digitally remastered" like the plague.
Why? I've got a few Chesky remasters and they sound great. It's the original release you have to worry about.

i hope you are trolling because this is truly pathetic
that's some nice arguments there, i agree with them but be careful to not convert it into an ego trip like you almost did there
yeahh maybe but it's more a little gesture with not much meaning, and you are ruinning those records like that
listen to these anons
i agree with you, some remasterings these days are shit BUT some actually manage to do it correctly (in my experience), it's like what i say about using flac: it's useless to use it if it ends up badly fased and with low bitrates (like, noticeably low), i've had times that a rip on 128mhz sound better

Collecting vinyl is like collecting cassettes, 8 tracks, VHS, laserdisc or other "unused" formats (that they aren't being used as generally as back then or not used at all), they have some distinct qualities but they are not the best thing around, you can get stuff from them that you'll never get somewhere else

but collecting them for looks is just stupid

that vintage Roland space echo alone is worth 200+, why is music gear so much money