So, it's super likely that on August I'll start teaching history classes at my old middle school...

So, it's super likely that on August I'll start teaching history classes at my old middle school. I'm a history major and I'm going to need the money while I study my Master's degree. Now, I still have my memories of how much of a piece of shit I was when I was 14 so I know what to expect from these animals, but I would like some recommendations.

For example, how much should I be letting those kids reads per week? Should I try to make them participate all the time, or maybe have a very straight forward lecture?

What I think I'm going to do, is let the kids read a chapter of their textbooks or a fragment of a book for homework, and then make them participate by asking "what did you get from what you read?" For that, I will tell them to use a highlighter and write whatever question they have and ask it, so that I can answer it.

Does that sound like a good idea? I remember my first days of University, that was the way I learned the most, so it's probably a good move. Of course, I'll spice it up with group presentations and such, but my main concern will be to make them read as much as possible and that they start thinking. Also, them acting like savages but I do have a very strong attitude, so hopefully that works out in the end.

straight forward lectures work better in later high school / college because usually if you're taking history courses at that point you are doing it by choice, and have a reason to listen. Middle schoolers don't give a shit about history unless you make them.

Worksheets might be a good idea, short questions and spaces for short answers on a variety of easy things just to make sure they're actually reading.

t. someone who isn't in education so take that with a grain of salt

This. Assume they won't give a single flying fuck and work around it if you can.

What about this. I start by telling them to write me on a piece of paper the answer to a question I give them related to what they read and then I start with what I have in mind?

I'm confused about what you actually said in that mess of a sentence, but what I was saying was that you should grade a simple worksheet. Opinions don't matter on it, it would just be simple stuff that they could write straight from the textbook, and a worksheet for each chapter would be part of their grade.

In class you would do tests and ask questions about the meaning behind things and why they matter, etc.

English is not my first language.

Ok so, the kids have to read a text as homework. On class, I write a question on the blackboard related to the text they read. They answer the question and I have to check their answer at home.

Ok so a simple worksheet. You mean like very basic stuff like facts, dates and names?

yes. i was saying give each kid a piece of paper with simple facts, dates, names questions on it, and grade those at home.

in class you talk about the chapter and have kids participate.

I would not rely on kids questions too much because most of the time kids don't ask many questions in history class. If they have questions answer them but don't expect a lot of questions. Most kids will just sit around and wait for class to be over.

>>I would not rely on kids questions too much because most of the time kids don't ask many questions in history class.
I'll force them to participate, I'll force their participation so far into their throat that they won't have another option.

Please don't tell the Principal I said that.

>What I think I'm going to do, is let the kids read a chapter of their textbooks or a fragment of a book for homework, and then make them participate by asking "what did you get from what you read?"
>he thinks kids are going to read
Don't fool yourself. Just go for the guts and try to weed out the kids who don't get it.

Oh man, I hated teachers who taught like that. I don't want to be like them but, do you think it's the only way?

I don't know, you gotta be strict to those who don't get it, and those who get the program (cheating, knows the answers but isn't a total faggot about it, the kid who asks more than is required.) You gotta play hardball with these kids, and you gotta teach them that the strongest (the smartest) are the only one's that make it through Mr. user's History class.

Many kids learn in different ways. The three types of students you will get will be visual, verbal and kinetic learners. I would not recommend setting aside time in class to read (though it's perfectly fine to assign it for homework) as most kids will get distracted and just talk. The best way to teach is to try to give lectures (for verbal learners) accompanied with a slideshow (for visual learners) with an occasional hands on activity to keep interest (and for the kinetic learners). I know that teaching in your first year will be hard, so try to pick a textbook or guideline and follow it, always make sure to make your ownectures and NEVER read straight from a book. What type of history are you teaching? What age of kids?

>I know that teaching in your first year will be hard, so try to pick a textbook or guideline and follow it, always make sure to make your ownectures and NEVER read straight from a book.
Fucking autocorrect. Meant to say
>I know that teaching in your first year will be hard, so try to pick a textbook or guideline and follow it, but always make sure to make your own lectures and NEVER read straight from a book.

>when I was 14

spank the girls when they are bad?

just spit balling here, guys

That's illegal user, don't give the man bad ideas.

I'm not sure about the subject, I suppose it will be some kind of World History. Doesn't matter, I'm a cool guy so I can teach many subjects. About the slideshow? Well, I actually love to talk without them. But I guess I can figure out a way around that. Maybe just one or two slides.

First, do you have a standardized test you need to teach and prepare them for?

>I suppose it will be some kind of World History
How much do you know about it?

They will tell me all about that around June when I do some psychometric exam. There won't be any kind of problem there.

I know a lot about European history from XVI onwards, especially XIX century.

Still, anything that I don't know about, I can simply get a book about the subject and read it. it's nothing out of this world. As I said, I'm a cool guy.

Relate to whatever hip or cool thing the kids are into that might be Veeky Forums related I guess. Game of Thrones or something. I dunno, I don't really like kids.

>As I said, I'm a cool guy.
Unless you really wanna run with being "Yo dude it's the history teacher that doesn't give a shit" I'd advise you not to do that. What you need to do is be engaging.

Find some way to get them up and moving and doing something. My high school had a giant war between the history classes where we all made hoplite shields, phalanxed up and fought the other classes' phalanxes with pvc and foam noodle spears

Mr. Kennady's class THE MASTERS OF GREECE

everybody loves stories
if you know your shit tell a story
"a bunch of guys wanted to do this...."

history is facts but it's people doing shit
kids can relate to this
human beings love stories
we are hard wired for it
evolutionary advantage?
beats the fuck out of me
better know your shit
prep, baby, prep

also, spank the girls when they are bad

>About the slideshow?
I have been teaching for a few years now and it is one of the best ways to keep your lesson on track and help your students understand the content. The slideshows don't have to be fancy; a lot of my slides are simply text in point form. In a content heavy course like history something like that will be essential so students can copy important points from them into their notes (which saves time when people don't have to ask you to restate important points). Also diagrams and images help some students visualize the harder concepts. I am personally a physics teacher but if you are new I would recommend this format for you:
3-4 days of the week:
>3/4 of class taken up by lecture with some form of visual accompaniment
>end lecture by assigning a few textbook questions (not a crazy workload, just 30 - 40 mins of work maximum that covers all of the concepts in the lecture)
>I usually have each lecture be on a distinct topic (eg. one historical event or one textbook chapter) from finish to end instead of splitting it up over the course of a few days
>15 - 30 mins (I don't know how long your classes are) of unstructured work period so students can work on the homework you just assigned or other ongoing projects from the class and ask you questions
>homework is not marked and optional (some students that already understand the concepts will skip but others that need practice usually do it)
1-2 days of the week:
>interactive lab / project (maybe a historical documentary / movie) that doesn't involve any new content but reviews previous concepts from the week
>usually there is a assignment that comes with it that is marked
>only one of these assignments per week though
>the due date is usually 3 school days after the project
2-3 times every unit:
>short quiz
>students hand it in but it isn't for marks
>use it to gauge progress and understanding as I'm teaching
Once per unit:
>unit test
>large lab / project (more marks)
>few days of review before

Movies are the easiest way to get kids invested in history. Take whatever period you're going to teach, put on a kick-ass movie and then give them the deets later so they understand what's going on- while they're interested.

Alternatively, give a background lesson and then show the movie.

Also I would recommend using something like google classroom and putting in all of your slideshows and assignments on it
This. Movies help keep students involved and don't make the class as dry

Two kinds of teachers right here

>Movies are the easiest way

lazy ass mother fucker
do your fucking job
teach

[spoiler]I'm 18[/spoiler]

Oh no no, that's not what I mean. When I said I'm a cool guy, I mean I love History and sharing it. I'm one strict motherfucker and I take shit from no one.

I can't spank the girls. Also, History is facts? What are you, a historic materialist?

That's alright, I'm one too.