ITT: The greatest generals

ITT: The greatest generals.

> Now, surviving for 40 years of constant warfare in the 15th century is a big enough deal by itself, but this guy went above and beyond – his biographer credits him with personally killing 3,000 men on the battlefield during his career.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/p_5yt5IX38I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Graham,_1st_Marquess_of_Montrose
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Hungary
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If he was taking a selfie his phone wouldn't be in the picture. Fake as fuck.

The only correct answer is Subotai

He is using mirror retard.

That makes him a great fighter, not necessarily a great general, even assuming it's true.

I'm going to have to second Subotai myself.

Jan zizka

didn't he murder someone with a knife or something in civilian life? I might be thinking of command post kills when overrun on the eastern front though

Admiral Yi

Just look at this blessed sword. God knows how many T*rkish heads were sliced.

Anyone involved in the Reconquista

youtu.be/p_5yt5IX38I

My dick gets rock hard thinking of the butthurt this causes Muslims and sjws to this day

Except that his phone doesn't have a lens on that side moron

Those are some helms deep/300 odds for real senpai

I once saw a tumblr post complaining about how spaniards took arabs territory for no reason right after the reconquista

How would the great kebab remover Skanderbeg react to knowing that Albanians spend most of their existance sucking off Turkish dicks while the rest of the Balkan nations actually fought against them?

He was a murderous thug who couldn't administer his conquests properly, but his military record is impressive. Timur was badass. He defeated the Golden Horde, Delhi Sultans, Chagatai Khans, the Ottomans, the Mamluks.

Except its completely mythologized. In reality the arabs probably only outnumbered them by a few hundred

Kek. Muslims still buthurt about the 1:500 KD ratio. Get rekt Mohamed,Pelayo was enlighted by God himself against the hordes of muzhitz

That one may be true, but this one tho
The spark of white glory

I'm not Muslim man. But you have to be fucktarded to believe in those numbers. The entire caliphate couldn't even muster that many men at once especially given early medieval logistics.

2:1 odds are impressive but not THAT impressive. The English routinely beat the French when outnumbered 3:1 or 2:1 during the hundred years war

>t. I am not muslim Salam alehkum.

Its a matter of perspective you could say that albanians and bosnians were loyal to their country while the rest was chimping out.

Consider the forces. A bunch of volunteers, wretched spaniards from across the northern with little to nothing in common other than their skin color and religion against an organized army of military superior moors. That is impressive and not Crecy.

>little to nothing in common other than their skin color and religion

What about language? What about historical ties between the nobility? Also, the Christians weren't as helpless as you make them out to be. They took hundreds of years to reconquer the territory because of their incessant internal squabbles.

People there spoke: Castillian, Galaic, catalán, french, portuguese and gods knows what romance deviant langauge. And the true union with the nobility came with Isabel and Fernando, before that they were resiliant to get together.

You realize that there's very little difference between those languages? Also French wasn't spoken in spain

>Little difference between those languages
You obviously don't know shit about what you are talking about. They are so different from each other that is silly to think we are all spanish.

Why would he give a shit? He was muslim once himself, you know. Besides, the Orthodox Christians were just Cannon Fodder. Even the muslim Albanians almost completely demolished the Ottoman Empire (pic related). Too bad the western cucks didn't let him.

>personally killing 3,000 men

You would have to be pretty profoundly retarded to believe that.

No they aren't you stupid fuck. Portuguese, Castilian, Galician, aragonese, is basically all the same shit

Harald Hardada

Abū Sulaymān Khālid ibn al-Walīd ibn al-Mughīrah al-Makhzūmī

Glorious balkan days before mudslim corruption.

Various "French" languages were spoken in Iberia,mont notably Occitan and Gascon in Navarre.

What kind of meme is this bullshit?
The Spanish kingdoms were militarized as fuck by their very nature
They were able to muster far more soldiers given their size than you would expect and they were always well equipped
>muh skin color
Yeah they would not have given a shit
If a moorish mercenary would help then they would pay for him

You forget than they taxed the moors, specially granada survived for nearly three hundred years thanks to paying tribute to castile.

Have you ever heard a portuguese and a spaniard speak? The difference is clearly audible

>The Battle of the Kalka River

>another butthurt balkan thread

Turks fucked you pretty hard, aren't they?

He was highly aggrandized.

Is there any good documentaries/series on this?

I dont know in english, there are tons in spanish, obviously

si por favor senor

buthurt t*rko-kiro

The GOAT.

True general and friend

>What about language?

Even today's Spain is very diverse linguistically. Imagine before. It's not that different realms had different languages, it's that and even inside each realm there were different languages.

>french volunteers didn't speak french

Moors in Spain looked exactly like christian spaniards, the only difference being religion and sometimes clothes (but not always, see king Lobo). The only exception to this are a a small number amongst the elites and a small number of slaves.

You gotta start learning the language of the place if you're interested in it's history.

>implying

>serbs

why you cheating cockroach

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Graham,_1st_Marquess_of_Montrose

This fellow is severely underrated

How the fuck did that happen?

800. GOOD. MEN.

It's ser 800 from the house GOODMEN.

>Skenderbeg hated Muslims
>nowadays Albanians are Muslims

Turks are like fucking Zergs.

They kept killing them in the ten thousands, but every time they came back with another 100.000 man army.

>Why would he give a shit? He was muslim once himself, you know

That's exactly why he would care very much. He was forced to convert, but realized that Islam is against European heritage and so he fought it to the death. Nowadays so called "European Muslims" would disgust him.

He would personally cut off the head of every Albanian Muslim if he could today.

He's the Motherfuckin' Ice General.

no you couldn't say that

sucking Turkish dick =/= loyal to your country

If he was so in love with European heritage, why wasn't he a pagan?

>Turks are like fucking Zergs.
>They kept killing them in the ten thousands, but every time they came back with another 100.000 man army.

Yet when Romans do it they're masters of logistics.

Because paganism had long been dead by the 15th century. Since people had no concept of nationality, they associated with religion, all Europeans associated with Christianity, and all Arabs/Turks with Islam.

>Because paganism had long been dead by the 15th century.

Not that long since last pagans, the Lithuanians, were converted in 1300s and there were plenty of hidden pagan communities (pretending or just hiding) even in central fucking Italy during the renaissance.

Christianity was European heritage by the time of the 15h century, as opposed to the Turkish/Arab heritage of Islam.

I think Turkish numbers are exaggerated. Ottoman Army was not that big in that years.

>his biographer
hardly unbiased

>John Hunyadi
>born a peasant, rose to general and statesman
>BTFO Turks for 60+ years
>had an armor faceplate with space for his badass 'stache

it's like you're not even trying, Veeky Forums.

>Crusade of Varna

>Venice
>Poland
>Hungary
>Croatia
>Bohemia
>Lithuania
>Serbia
>Wallachia
>Moldavia
>Bulgaria
>Holy >Roman >Empire
>Papal States and whoever served under them
>Teutonic Order
vs
>Ottoman Empire

>Result: Decisive Ottoman victory, Ottoman domination in the balkan,

he's shit tier

Gaius Marius, Sulla, Pompey, Lucullus. All great generals - their lives are intense - they all lived around the same time - and they were all put in the shade by the incredible Ceasar.

Don't worry, Islam will be European heritage next century.

>That's exactly why he would care very much.
You're making no sense.

>He was forced to convert, but realized that Islam is against European heritage and so he fought it to the death.

Skanderbeg was more of a "muh peeople" guy more than a "muh europe". I sincerely doubt Skanderbeg really had much respect for anyway, do you remember how most europeans treated him?

>He would personally cut off the head of every Albanian Muslim if he could today.

The dude had muslim Albanians fighting for him, why didn't he cut their heads off?

Skanderbeg didn't even know who Martin Barleti was, really. I suppose he had the most information around Skanderbeg so I suppose it isn't completely wrong, but he definitely wasn't his personal biographer.

God that movie was shit. Not even including a battle where he uses the turtle ships, what a joke.

>phone has no camera

What is this wizardry?

I'm not really into Roman history, but is it just me, or was Ceasar's success more based on his diplomatic skill, than his strategy skills? (not saying they were shit, but afaik, most of his battles were won thanks to the Roman spirit, not some amazing tactics he made up on the spot)

If anything it was based Prokop

Caesar's most impressive wins were against other Romans. Hell, most of his Gallic commanders sided with Pompey. By all rights he should have been crushed before Pharsalus. According to Plutarch he expected to lose.

Well but even so, in Phrasalus he won because he had veteran soldiers while optimates had shitty young new recruits who started fleeing at first sight of loss.

>didn't rescue Constantinople

Because he was a 15th century lord, not a 21st century NEET LARPer

>Hannibal
>Berber

wat

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Hungary

>Ottoman Hungary was the territory of Medieval Hungary which was ruled by the Ottoman Empire from 1541 to 1699

158 years mate.

>Selim
>Mehmed

Bayezid is better than these two combined, too bad he clashed with timur

bump

that's pretty much how they won the 2nd punic war. They were absolutely rekt time and time again but it didn't matter in the end.