Tech company interview

How do I dress for a tech company interview?

I've walked by the company's office during the work hours, and nobody inside is wearing a suit. The most dressed person is wearing a button down shirt and khakis while the rest are in t-shirt and shorts.

How do I dress for an interview with a company like this? I feel like a suit would be too much.

Wear a suit, or at least a suit jacket and tie, user

full rick

I can't afford the dick pants.

It depends on the company. At some places a suit is an instant disqualifier as it indicates you're a "bad culture fit". At some places it's ok but not ideal. At some places it's expected, but that's rare. The usual rule is to be a notch more dressed up than the average employee on an average day.

How did you come to be called in for an interview? Whoever organized the logistics, it would make sense to ask them. Campus recruiter or something like that? Ask, they'll know.

If in doubt check out glassdoor or similar sites.

Based on what you described, a slightly fashion forward (but still tasetful) dress shirt and dress pants and something like loafers would probably be safe, but what would be even safer would be to actually ask.

I'd like to discredit this kike
I wear scrubs to work; I would have gotten laughed at for wearing anything other than a suit to any interview

Looks like you stopped reading before the first sentence
>I wear scrubs
That is not a tech company

Can you give a little detail on the company? Wear at MINIMUM a casual button down and khakis, a suit might be overkill if it's one of those hip startup places but if it's an established company you'll want to wear that

t. wear the same pair of athletic shorts to work every day but still interviewed in a suit

First of all, I'm a RN
But I could have been a CNA; there's a CNA working at a nursing home who goes on Veeky Forums
So do CNAs from nursing homes now have a stricter interview dress code than someone trying to get a job at a tech company?
And by the way it'd be a dream come true to do employee health at a big tech company

Your experience as a nurse is irrelevant to the thread

This seems to be a typical Veeky Forums case of "everyone is a NEET except me" syndrome

I work in tech, chances are several other people lurking this board do too

If you want to continue to derail the thread, go ahead, but have some self awareness, please

I have more experience in getting jobs I'm not qualified for than most people on the board have
He should ask Veeky Forums if he really wants to know; at least the non-trumpcoin posters all mostly work office jobs

>I'm not qualified
Fixed for brevity

My pay went from 21.50 an hour up to 26 and now it's at 32
All in less than a year
I thank Veeky Forums and nepotism lol

>tfw I was making $40/hr when I was 22
>tfw I make $0/hr now

That sucks you should've worn a suit to your interview

Full Tech Ninja tbqh senpai

I actually work as a professional career consultant/interview coach. The general rule of thumb is to dress one step above of expected office wear.

Since you obviously don't even have a clue to wear, you probably aren't going to get hired there anyways so you might as well even bother going to the interview in the first place.

If I had to make a recommendation, wear a casual suit. At least bring a fucking blazer or sport coat or something. For example, if the guy you are interviewing with is wearing a suit, and you're in some shitty skinny chinos from h&m and a too-tight patterned button down, you can bet your ass you're not going to get the job. But there's also no need for a full-on formal suit that makes you look like you applying to be some mortgage advisor at some shitty suburban bank.

But since you can't even figure this out by yourself, I doubt you'll get the job.

Sorry, but try to find something a little more """" your level """"

Advice is good but why bully? It's just a job interview, not the fucking inquisition.

OP, get on a pair of black derby shoes, and wear a light suit, or some dark jeans and a jacket, tuck in your shirt, and you're set to go. Skip the tie.

Spend your time researching the company and the position, prepare for some common interview questions. What is important is paying attention to the conversation and being truthful. Good luck.

(In case you don't get hired, don't worry, at least you got some experience with interviews, and will do better next time.)

Always prefer to overdress rather than underdress. Wear a full suit. You can take off the jacket if you think its too formal.

My last tech interview they told me I didn't need a suit when I got there. My interviewer was wearing a polo and bike shorts. I still got the job. If someone isn't going to hire you because you overdressed, it isnt worth working for them

>If someone isn't going to hire you because you overdressed, it isnt worth working for them
This is dumb, your first interviewer may not be your future boss or direct coworker. Could just be a stakeholder in the department, or hr

One person's petty opinion can sink your prospects and tech is notoriously appearance obsessed, everyone wants to dress like zuck because it shows that you're about substance over style (I wish I was making this up)

The interview process isn't fair, and you shouldn't act like it's fair. Interview dress code is not about figuring out if you want to be friends, it's about getting the offer, it's up to you if you still want to accept it

This.
Completely depends on who the company is. From OPs description you can't go wrong with a nice polo and chinos.

if you're applying for one of those small insufferable bay area companies and wear a nice suit they'll be skittish because you aren't a "culture fit" i.e. they want someone young and stupid enough to take a foosball table, free lunches, and an idealistic view of the world over $20k more in salary and reasonable hours
if so, wear chinos, derbies and an inoffensive mid-formal shirt, maybe with a blazer
if not, a casual suit is probably fine
you want to be on the "dressing up" side of what's in their office
>But since you can't even figure this out by yourself, I doubt you'll get the job.
he's applying for a tech company, at this stage they care more about his ability to regurgitate algorithms onto a whiteboard than his ability to think through appropriate dress, though neither is very useful in the long run

just email your contact at the company and ask what level of dress would be appropriate for the interview.