Skincare General

Skincare General

Everything related to skincare routines, products, acne, and grooming goes in here.

Wiki:
Skin care basics:tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Skin-care_Basics
Acne treatment:tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Acne_Treatment

Skinacea Links:
Retinoids:skinacea.com/retinoids/retinoids.html
Sunscreen:skinacea.com/sunscreen/sunscreen.html
Ridding dark eye circles:skinacea.com/how-to/get-rid-of-dark-circles.html

Veeky Forums skincare FAQ:
pastebin.com/PArDyf2G

Contents:
- Basic routine, skincare guide, and products tips
- How to pop pimples, remove blackheads and whiteheads
- Why you shouldn't use ordinary soap on your face
- How to improve your skin tone through diet
- Studies on how diary and sugars create acne
- How your skin is affected by sleep, sun, skincare ingredients

Last thread died so lets keep things going!

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840919/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's your routine and what do you use Veeky Forumsgs?

Here's mine:
AM + PM:
Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Acne
Therapy System, alongside a glycerin-based charcoal soap and Paula's choice ultra defense moisturizer.
Skin has been clearing up slowly but surely.

L'Occitane: hack or not?
I bought their olive oil black soap and have used it 3 times a week. My skin has been alot softer but my back acne has been adjusting weirdly (some days flakey, some days oily as fuck).
Is this supposed to happen?

Guys I've been doing this for months now and my acne is only getting worse.

Cera Ve Foaming Cleanser in shower
Stridex Exfoliating Wipe thing after
Cera Ve Moisturizer

Evenings is the same except I use Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Daily Cleansing Pads instead of Stridex.

My face isn't dry anymore which is a plus I guess. But acne is still a problem. I just tried switching to detergent that doesn't have scents added to it. Could it be from my Head and Shoulders Shampoo/Conditioner?

How would the head and shoulders effect your skin?

I don't know? It runs down my face and back when I am rinsing it out and my face seems to be pretty sensitive I figured maybe it was a plausible hypothesis and was hoping if anyone else had a similar issue they would respond

A lot of shampoos have irritating shit in them than fucks with your skin either when it gets on it in the shower or later when your hair produces oil and it finds its way onto your skin.

What kind of skin do you have?
Foaming cleanser is bad for dry skin and if you have sensitive skin you should cool it with the stridex acid wipes. Sensitive skin needs a little "breathing room" if you get my meaning. Try cutting one of your wipes out of your daily routine for a while, see if that helps. It sounds like you might be over medicating your face.

Also, fuck shampoo/conditioner. If you get itchy scalp use T-Gel shampoo. (Every drug store has their own and Neutrogena has the name brand.) Shit stops dandruff and itchiness like a brick wall. If your hair is lifeless after shampoo, then cut down on it. A lot of people only need shampoo like every 3 days - once a week or sometimes not at all. Also the Head n Shoulders probably has a bunch or irritating shit in it.

Also: Just go to a derm. Easiest shit out there and they hook you up with the best skincare product recommendations. Tell them your budget and they'll help you find the best shit for your skin possible and wont break your bank.

Use cosdna.com and check your shampoo. It'll list out all the ingredients that might be irritating.

I have combination I believe, at least 2 years ago before I started using moisturizer my face would get hella flakey. Now its not bad but my forehead and nose still gets a bit oily. But yeah I'll try cutting out the stridex pad.

Also, yeah I don't really shampoo that often, I used to have really bad flaky scalp but I grew my hair out and stopped using shampoo/conditioner combo everyday and only shampoo every 3 days or so and I condition daily in the shower plus a leave in conditioner afterwards. I'd go to a dermatologist but I'm trying not to because I'm a broke kid in college and my mom is even more broke with 4 other kids so its kind of hard to justify doing that, might have to tho because I've got a nasty ingrown pubic hair lmao. Thanks for the response though bud, hopefully I can get my shit together soon

Oh, makes sense. I'll have to keep an eye on that, then, im sure my back acne is getting effected by my shampoo.

going to a derm isn't too expensive my man.

save up the $130 and go, they'll give your skin a look, ask about your skincare routine/history, then give you some prescription acne fucker thats usually an all cure. To get the heavy duty good shit you need a derm to recommend it. Over the counter doesn't even lay a finger on the shit you can get from a derm for spot treatment.

My buddy has shit skin, acne scars and everything, and the derm gave him some Tretinoin or whatever. 6 months and his skin looked like he had never had acne save for a a few spots. Derms can give you some good retinoids that basically just give you a new layer of skin after a couple months. It's like getting a new goddamn face. Go to derm ONCE and get that sweet hookup my man. It is well worth the 130.

I was under the impression it was like a monthly fee type thing or something. I might look into it more now. Its kind of depressing me really which is affecting my eating habits and turning me into a slob. I'll have to go here soon. thanks for the chat man, I have hope now :)

How to deal with acne on my back? Started working out and it has been getting worse.

No dude. If all your going for is to get the scrip/a consultation you only pay for the office visit. A lot of times they give you a prescription for retinoids or an antibiotic like clindamycin and BP, and sometimes they give you an oral antibiotic like doxycycline. Those prescriptions can be covered by insurance, too if you have the right kind or whatever.

Call your regular doctor and ask for a recommendation to a derm. It can make it easier to get in sometimes and it def makes finding a good derm easier because if you like your doctor, you can trust their rec for a derm.

Scrubby brush worked for me. Gotta clean all that fuckin sweat off your back, hombre.

Accutane JUSTed me. got rid of my acne but gave me major facial redness which looks even worse than the acne i had.

A bit pricey, love their face masks.

do I need to wear sunscreen if I have florescent lights in my room
I don't go outside

I've finally decided to do something about my horrible skin (acne, scars and a shit-ton of blackheads on the nose), I'm about to get the skin-care basic regimen and it's recommended to use some of these products under the shower.

Question: I'm used to cold showers, is that better to take hot ones to open the pores have make the whole thing more efficient?

There are benefits to both cold and hot showers.

Bumping for interest

"The compact fluorescent industry says the bulbs are safe but admits they do emit UV rays. In a statement they insist, “the levels of UV radiation emitted are acceptably low” and are safe under normal use. Researchers say you can be safe by exercising caution."

Up to you. Personally, I don't like the kind of light florescents give off, so I would never have them in my bedroom to begin with.

If you're going with hot showers, then finish off with cold water.

This is "kinda" skin but what causes dandruff?

Anybody know some good facewash brands?

Any ideas/experience dealing with acne scars?

This feel is known to me

What kind are you?

i use a lush exfoliating face wash, paula's choice retinoid serum, cerave eye cream, cerave cream (just the normal body stuff in the tub) and aveeno sunscreen on my face. my skin's absurdly dry and blotchy but this has more or less cleared it up. for body i use african black soap, a dry brush for exfoliating once a week, and the same cerave shit.

just got a sample size of the muji all in one essence for sensitive skin, has anyone tried that? i've been using it for two days so far w/ the rest of my skincare routine so i haven't noticed anything

could be a number of things, too hot of water in showers, genetics, reactions to other haircare products. spend a few weeks trying a few different solutions (cold/lukewarm showers, head and shoulders, coal tar shampoo, etc) to see if any of those help. otherwise see a dermatologist

Im the bottom one for sure. I noticed my mom still gets random acne, am I going to have to deal with acne forever? its not bad just a spot here or there but its annoying.
I started using Fresh Farmacy from Lush and it cleared up my skin pretty well. I use it in the morning but put cold water over my face to close the pores afterwards. I still get random pimps from time to time tho.

moisturizers are generally the product type most prone to causing acne. cleansers in second.
you could try switching it out for something else.

bear in mind that both AHAs and BHAs are entry-level anti-acne topicals. they're just used as OTC products that can help most people decrease their acne to some extent, with almost no side-effects. they're mostly effective against blackheads, and ordinary inflammatory acne to some extent.

after trying that, treatment often escalates into benzoyl peroxide, topical retinoids, topical & oral antibiotics, and isotretinoin.

sunscreen, time, and saving up for laser treatment, my man. I would probably wait 6-12 months first though, depending on severity.

imagine doing the dishes with cold water. even if you're using dish soap, you're still not getting the all the grime off the plates. how effective your cleansing is depends a lot on the temperature of the water.

having a cold shower will not make you nearly as clean as a warm shower. but you could always clean first in warm water, and then finish with cold water.

also, pores do not open and close.
that's not how they work.

most effective treatments are microdermabrasion, chemical peelings (careful), and laser (GOAT). use sunscreen & see a derm for help.

it's very possible to have acne scars without exhibiting PIH or PIE. scars are just localized collagen clusterfucks.

>getting a response from the senpai himself
Wow, thank you, i didnt know that. How do you work in getting rid of the collagen clusterfucks, then?

for the people with oily skin, what's your routine and what do you use? Looking for recommendations in general, I'm a noob.

I plan to do this (taken from the pastebin)

morning routine:
>Cleanser, Toner, Sunscreen

evening routine:
>Cleanser, Toner, Moisturizer

products:

>CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
>StriDex Medicated Pads, Maximum Strength
>CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
>Moisturizing SPF 30 Facial Sunscreen

is this good? any tips? is there a good but cheaper sunscreen?

Does powdered peanut butter with none of the oils or fats of peanut butter still cause acne? It's 6prot/4carb/1.5fat but tastes better than regular peanut butter, it's safe right?

Why is this thread having such a hard time staying alive holy shit

it can then look like pic related, for example.
I wrote about treatment as a response to in the post above.
microneedling is also a good alternative.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840919/

posters post less mindless speculation, that keeps the thread bumped, when there is no question about "how to get rid of acne" or "how do I lighten my dark circles under my eyes" in OP.

the FAQ also kills the all the small simple questions that otherwise would have turned into Frequently Bumping Posts

for the sake of survivability of /skin/ & other generals, maybe it would be wiser to post the /skin/ copypasta later in the thread and replace the OP content with legit skincare concerns that promote discussion.

How do I go about determining my skin type?

Questions like "Is your skin usually dry/oily in the evening?" are completely fucking unanswerable when I have no frame of reference

Cerave salicylic acid lotion and Neutrogena FaceShield sunscreen in the morning.
Cerave salicylic acid lotion plus their moisturizing lotion in the evening.

I also make sure to use a full pump, which is quite a bit, for all of this. I use their cleanser as shaving cream and also to wash my face before applying anything.

I purged for the last two weeks but now my face is acceptably clear. I'm expecting to do some more purging for a week or so and then be clear. I think the FaceShield is irritating my skin so I'm going to switch to their Sensitive Skin formula when I run out of this.

I was doing benzoyl peroxide and glycolic acid for a while. It was too irritating and it made me way too sensitive to the sun. It was also annoying having my bangs get slightly bleached and fucking up my girlfriend's pillows. Salicylic acid has been much gentler and just as effective so I'm glad I made the switch. It's also easier to apply so I'm satisfied.

yo how do i get rid of bags under my eyes

What exactly do you have a problem with in trying to determine your skin type?
The infographic you posted is quite clear, desu.

It takes 1-2 weeks for the skin to get used to the BP. Did you try it for that long? I would never combine it with Glycolic Acid at the same time though...

I did it for like a year and half.

high %? 2.5% is the best

For any Australian's in this thread, go ahead and grab some Dark Angel from Lush. The GF got me some recently and it's a massive step up from shit-tier chemical exfoliants.

I have some acne pitting from my teenage years and this is the only shit I've ever used which actually reduces its visibility, it's great for evening out skin tone too.
If you have sensitive skin you may only want to use it once every few days and use something more mild inbetween.

Best thing you can do is drink lots of water, make sure to hit 2 Litres a day, more if your pee is still coming out yellow.

What are those white black heads called where you squeeze the skin and white strings come out?

How do I get rid of them? My skin is rather oily

It's not semen

whats a good exfoliater?

i lol at these threads. cut back on dairy sugar and grease and you'll be amazed. and stop washing your fucking face too much

pus? Try dry brushing, it's kind of a meme going around but I've tried it myself and it's been working. I'd have a lot of those little things you've described around the bridge of my nose and chin. Just get a brush meant for the shower (make sure it has "plant" bristles).

These reason these threads exist is because things like you're suggesting doesn't work for everyone.

this and this and this some more

there is no need to rub anything on your face, 90% is shit anyways.

You mean one of these?

I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for

How do you not rub off the skin in the process?

You go very gentle, but you'd be surprised at how tough your skin is. You can start from your chin and gently scrub in circles, move up to cheeks, circle a bit..and so on. I had the same concern but I noticed after I did it my skin looked more porcelain. You'll see the dry skin flakes on your face, but afterwards you're supposed to wash with a cleanser. I just do it before I take a shower. And yes, something like the pic is good. If you're worried about hurting your skin or if you're really sensitive apparently you can add some facial oils.

im not who you're responding to but i have this problem.

The worst part is if I dont pop them the pore closes up and I end up with these huge under the skin pimples that fucking kills.

Thanks user, I'll try a brush and maybe look at the OP for some cleanser too

I had those on the chin a bunch of times, it's the fucking worst

Digging with a needle to pop the thing so it stops is a real bad time

Anons help me over here.
My skin overall lately is in a good shape, after starting to use cleansers/scrubs and overall maintained better hygiene, pimples and blackheads are gone mostly.
The only problem I have is that my nose is pinkish/ light red color. Doesn't have that much acne, it just has this noticable red color overall.
What should I do

Same, but you should really stop popping them, I think what you're doing is making the pore more open to accepting more bacteria, and I think your pore is "scabbing" so the pus is trapped like you said.

have you tried boiling water over a stove and put your face over it for a little bit? you're supposed to drape a towel over the back of your head to trap the steam. i've done this once before and it does make your pores look more obvious, but then you can follow with one of the treatments in pic related. a lot of people swear by it and a lot of people think it's a waste, but coming from someone that has a similar issue to yours I'd say it's worth it. afterwards my pores are a lot smaller and no white shit is visible

i think the skin is pretty sensitive and thin around your nose because of all the cartilidge and waht not, so maybe try going gentler? i have a tendency too to scrub hard around that area as i tend to have blackheads but it makes my nose red and a bit shiny. try coconut oil or rosehip oil? they're both good at evening skin tone. or after you cleans try the pic related, this is the only toner ive ever used that could ever be considered soothing.

Never tried the clay stuff. I'll check it out.

Pinching has always been a problem for me. I have mild OCD.

I have a plethora of sensitive skin problems so I always have to be careful with what I try.

How and when do I apply coconut oil? Because that's what I have at home.

yup, 2.5%. I just can't fuck with constant oxidative stress/staining. glycolic acid made me look like a marble statue though.

let's say i go out a run late in the day and don't shower until the morning (like i usually do)

what effect does not washing have on my skin?

depends on your skin's needs. i use an exfoliator that has finely crushed almonds and lavender and it works great for my dry/flaky skin but might not work for someone whose skin is more oily. low conc salicylic acid exfoliant works for some ppl too.

avoid st ives apricot scrub like the plague, that shit is trash

drink more water, use undereye cream, sunscreen, and don't rub them. if you smoke, stop doing that

i bought these recently and im asking because they dont seem great... guess i fell for the st ive meme

you just rib a bit on your finger then rub on the affected area. its tricky because you could swear you dont have enough on your finger but it's extremely greasy. you can apply it under your moisturizer, before bed, after shower, whenever. it doesn't clog your pores or anything. its really good under your eyes too

depeneds, are you wearing anything on your face? just rinse rinse your face off if you're worried or use some type of astringent

> stop smoking

b-but my aesthetic

So I'll put it on at night after cleaning. And I have to let it absorb right? Not wipe off?
I love dark circles under eyes tho, don't want to get rid of them.

disgusting

your bed sheets would get fucking filthy man just shower

Absorption happens naturally if you don't wipe it off. Which you shouldn't.

This.

How do I obtain a Very close shave without going against the grain?

You can't.

Chemo therapy.

splash your face with acid instead of water

I have sensitive skin

Have you tried burning the hair off

after the acid you won't

Are there any good products to get Korean kind of skin (white/clear) or do you have to be Asian to have that?

> "Splash your face with acid"
> "I have sensitive skin."
> Sensitive to acid

top kek

Kpop idols does not represent what Korean skin is like

help me find a good sunscreen that doesnt leave a shiny foil on my face

bravo user you got his joke, thanks for explaining it so we could all share in the laughter, haha.

Aveeno

wake up:cleanse, toner, moisturize
before sleep:same as above

I wasn't sharing.

Yes you were, if voluntary or not, good on you for sharing with the group buddy!

No, I wasn't sharing the laughter.

Yes you were my friend

Please stop laughing.

You can't take back what you shared, that's theft

nice trips

ooooooohohohohohohohohohoho

What pillow-cases are good for skin and hair? I've been recommended silk or satin instead of cotton but have no idea how to distinguish what is good and how high in price I have to go to get something good enough.

So I'm getting a bit deeper into this stuff, finally getting a decent razor and new face wash/moisturizer for acne. Once I buy it all, this would be my routine:

>Wash face with warm water
>Apply face wash (CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser)
>Rinse with warm water
>Apply pre-shave oil (Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Pre Shave Oil) and foam (Gillette Classic Sensitive Skin Shaving Foam)
>Shave with grain (Edwin Jagger Imitation Ebony Double Edge Safety Razor (DE86))
>Repeat last two steps (including oil?) until it looks good or something
>Rinse with hot then cold water
>Cold shower, conditioner and shampoo and all that
>Pat dry face, dry rest of body, apply aftershave (Gillette Series Aftershave Gel For Sensitive Skin 100ml) and moisturizer (CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM) on face

Is it not recommended to do everything at once, and if so how do I split it up? I don't have much time in the mornings, so I generally don't do anything then, though maybe that's the easiest way to make things better?