Would these guys stand a chance in the real roman army?

Would these guys stand a chance in the real roman army?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gA7U4H0icbU
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1494926/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4317260/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2475802/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If they pass the training and are able to follow army orders. I can't see any obese fucks there.

With actual roman officers to put them on their place? Yeah, some of them would. Maybe even most of them. They would probably not like it though.

Absolutely. Understand that your average Roman was far less healthier and shorter than those guys and if they have the disipline and pass the learning they would be better.

the major problem we modern humans face is the lack of endurance and resistance to discomfort or boredom

in their current state could they fight off an equal strength force of gauls?

>no more than 100 men
>no order training
>Caloric expenditures no adjusted for marching long distance and doing combat
>no beaten as children
>not playing with swords their entire lives
They'd get fucked outright.

No, they would all be sold into slavery and the curious rust resistant iron would be sent to Rome to be investigated by master artisans and philosophers.

the romans would never figure out how to reproduce it

No, they would probably be slaughtered. For starters I doubt any of them has any military experience. Half of the formation would fucking flee the second they see a group of dudes who actually want to kill them.

/thread
Stupid question.

>your average Roman was far less healthier and shorter
This meme needs to be killed. They literally lived in boot camp and all legionaries were supremely physically competitive, they would be in peak physical condition unlike this rabble of plebs.

Shorter, maybe, but the meme of historical people being midgets is always exaggerated. The minimum to get in was 170cm and Romans were robust and stocky as fuck. Depending when it was there would even be Germanics, Asians and Africans who were also much bigger.

/thread

I was talking about your average Roman citizen who wanted to get into the military. Are you saying all non military Romans are tough as nails people who underwent boot camp before becoming a soldier?

It is fact that people today are healthier than people of antiquity. A healthier body of today has more potential than a Roman. And no, the Romans were on average 5'4"-5'5" tall. Height isn't a huge factor with all things considered but it's still an advantage.

>no beaten as children
that just makes people neurotic and less able to handle stress

sure they would, as poorly trained auxiliary, like slingers

We are not talking about average Roman citizens, we are talking about the ones who join the legion which inevitably is the larger fitter individuals. And yes ALL Romans were hard as nails. They spent most of their life on the streets, were beaten and smacked from childhood and their entire culture glorified the right of might.

>It is fact that people today are healthier than people of antiquity
Is that a fact? According to what criteria? Our mortality is lower certainly and we have better medicine but mostly our diets are terrible and unbalanced and we get spend far more time being comfy than using our bodies. The very fact that mortality was high means only the fit and adaptable survived to adulthood so in that sense they were definitely healthier.

roman soldiers would be super human in comparison.

It's like every documentary I've seen about germanic tribes...when you see the warriors they're all old, skinny and feeble looking. Those guys would have looked like roided up terminators

time to stop watching spartacus my friend.

(You)
>Watching things when you could be reading history

Wasn't the ancient diet almost fully consistent of corn (especially for soldiers and poor plebs)?

Legion physical standards were virtually the same as modern armies.

>Romans were on average 5'4"-5'5" tall
>Romanlets

Corn came for America, mate.

Corn was originally a term for any sort of grain which still happens to be staple of virtually all modern diets.

So yes, they relied on grains for carb and olive oil was another staple, but archaeologists always find an abundance of vegetables, fruit and wild roots, seed and herbs. They also ate piles of fish and meat, far more than the Greeks who were pretty much veggies.

crops in general
this is probably why they were manlets compared to barbarians

No, what a silly question.

They'd flee immediately, they're untrained civilians in armour. The equipment didn't make the legionary, years and years of daily training and hard discipline did. People don't realise just how skilled legionaries were in combat. They trained, every single day, and could do this for 25 years. With a Gladius and Scutum they'd be some of the most elite combatants the world has ever seen.

I meant it like the British English definition.

I think OP asked if they could be legionaries if they went through training.

You mean the archaic defintion

Well that depends on the individual character of each person. Legionary basic training was 4 months of intense discipline and suffering and not everyone got through.

Physically there is no reason why not. You would need endurance and physical dexterity much more than modern army training because hand-to-hand is more demanding than shooting.

The real question is how much balls do they have. How well would they hold up staring a barbarian in the eye as they hack him to bits?

Did they slaughter the children?

>Billy, no, don't throw that Molotov, nooo

>How well would they hold up staring a barbarian in the eye as they hack him to bits?
*stab

Why are they conquering the tribe of the midgets?

they 're called pygmies

They're probably a lot bigger and stronger than Romans as well.

They barely ate any protein.

But what did they do to awake the wrath of Rome?

Try 5'6 to 5'8

back to Veeky Forums you uninformed reject

They got literally tossed around by 6ft platinum blond germanian terminators

Probably offended Rome by living nearby the empire, that is how most people got conquered.

>this is what northern Europeans like to believe

You mean the Germanics getting tossed around by Southern Europeans who are smaller then them?

Romans literally genocided the proto-Germanic tribes that invaded from the Baltic areas down to Western and Southern Europe

You have a funny skewed historical view of Romans I take

In terms of strength and stature, most of these guys are probably healthier and stronger than the average Roman soldier.

In terms of discipline and military training, they're fucked, and most likely would flee in the face of actual danger.

Because the Romans clearly had better weapons and organization that the Germans. Who would you say would win? An oily manlet Italian with a machine gun, or a tall buff German with no weapon?

I mean literally tossed around physically in hand to hand combat

>stormfront backpedaling this hard at getting blown out by the fact superior Southern Europeans removed his dirty snownigger ancestor's from European hsitory

Stay mad dude.

If they were capable of doing that, they wouldn't lose most of their wars with the Romans despite constant size and numerical superiority and similarly advanced weapons and armors.

>tall buff German
>oily manlet Italian
This is why we need a containment board for homoerotic racists.

Even one on one Romans soldiers in melee combat wrecked Germanics more often then not in a straight fight.

>stormfront backpedaling this hard at getting blown out by the fact superior Southern Europeans removed his dirty snownigger ancestor's from European hsitory

Germanics destroyed Rome you ignorant Romeboo. Germanic tribes were tremendous fighters, just not as organized as the Romans.

>be buff
>tall
>super white
>get tossed around by manlets: Romans, Hunnics, French, all their history

Germanics on suicide watch

Germanics sacked the Western Roman Empire. Now again, address how many wars the Germanic tribes lost or the fact most proto-Germanic tribes after their encounter with the Romans were literally annihilated and genocided when Romans counter attacked.

>Romans destroyed Rome
Fixed.

>Southern Europeans removed his dirty snownigger ancestor's from European hsitory
Wrong, manlet. Germania still stood strong and eventually removed Romans.

>despite constant size and numerical superiority and similarly advanced weapons and armors.
Nope. The Romans had better weapons, material and armor. Their organization was better too.

>Half Celts

>Be "stocky"
>Be "normal height"
>Be """"""""""white"""""""
>Get tossed around by technologically inferior people

Romans on suicide watch

>Roman meaning anything after the 2nd century AD

kek

Dude

You are literally retarded, even when the WRE was near its nadir when Attila was sacking the Eastern and Western Roman Empires, most of those Gothic and Germanic tribes were running to the Romans for shelter and protection or consistently getting their asses kicked

Who stopped the Scourge of God then?

The Romans

>Greekboos

>this backpedaling

>Romans
destroyed by invasion
>Huns
Halted and had germanics mixed in
>French
Romanized celts literally so cucked by their Germanic rulers they've taken their name

Yea they just had stone and wooden spears and fur clothings because they were primitive savages

>some lanky American beta with blond hair who thinks hes german is getting all buttflustered about Rome and has to make shit up to feel good by stealing the not even true achievements of his supposed ancestors
ok

Romans were recovering under Aetius.
>Huns
>halted
By the Romans. Germanics were consistently defeated, assimilated or wiped out by the Huns and they did in fact turn repeatedly to both the WRE and ERE for aid and protection.

> not sneaking on a side and smacking the legs of one of those faggots as hard as you can.

You can bait better with your shitposts then this low level Hans

>not playing with swords their entire lives
Neither did the proles who joined the legions after Marius got through with it

>beaten as children
Produces people who don't handle stress well, and who fail to control their emotions.

5'5-5'7 with weights form 130lbs to 150lbs are pretty commonly cited for Romans. They were small by modern standards.

Ancient people were not supermen.
Their diets were not balanced.
They didn't all work out every day.
Performing tons of manual labor can easily cause stress injuries, some of which will never go away.

Childhood abuse produces an individual with LESS mental fortitude, and hastens the onset of PTSD if exposed to more stress.

>MORTALITY MEANS DA EST LIVED
No, it means the lucky and the wealthy don't starve, and the smart don't die in the streets.

Being fucking ripped does jack shit to save you if somebody puts a knife in your kidney.

>every single day
There's actually no reason to believe this. Training varied and was up to the man leading them, it wasn't universal.

we do, however, have record of soldiers being banned from taking civilian jobs for extra cash, which indicates that they (sometimes) had plenty of free time.

Romans were just as happy to cut.

If you're not fluent in Latin or any other contemporary languages, you probably couldn't serve in the Roman Army, even as an auxiliary troop. What's the point of a soldier who can't follow your orders?

I am romanian and i can easily understand 30-35% of a latin text.I think that I could get fluent in less than 8 months of studying.

only a man made consul seven times could be this based

every last one of them

the survivors were crucified

>There's actually no reason to believe this. Training varied and was up to the man leading them, it wasn't universal.
So what else were they doing? If not building projects. Commanders don't like idle soldiers, they would train. Soldiers in the military today when not serving train every day too. It's what professional soldiers do.

>And yes ALL Romans were hard as nails.
nonsense

>They spent most of their life on the streets
Legionaries were traditionally farmers.

>were beaten and smacked from childhood
Beating kids doesn't make them stronger it makes them emotional neurotic messes. Just because they're prone to chimp out doesn't mean they're tough when it comes to it. I'll take a disciplined fighter over a nig any day.

>and their entire culture glorified the right of might.
They glorified the military, sure. So do most cultures and even so this is no predictor for military prowess.

>Is that a fact?
Yes

>our diets are terrible and unbalanced
Wrong, our diets are excellent for the most part.

>and we get spend far more time being comfy than using our bodies.
Easily fixed by a few months training. Childhood malnutrition is much harder to fix.

>The very fact that mortality was high means only the fit and adaptable survived to adulthood so in that sense they were definitely healthier.
That's not really how it works though. Many of those who survived childhood diseases or malnutrition would be crippled or otherwise permanently damaged, and in any case surviving childhood illnesses is no predictor of future martial fitness.

>Soldiers in the military today when not serving train every day too. It's what professional soldiers do.
No they don't. Ask any infantryman what he's doing day to day. Odds are it involves washing rocks, cleaning, working out, raking dirt, masturbating, drinking, and trying to get laid. Oh, and power point presentations.

Training,in a wealthy army, will be weekly or monthly. In poorer nations, it's even rarer, with live fire essentially not occurring.

>So what else were they doing?
Whatever the fuck they pleased. See above about needing to BAN taking civilian jobs in some places. Entire cities sprung around arounds some camps, this didn't happen because the soldiers trained all day every day, it happened because they were walking bags of money and boredom.

> implying reading isnt watching letters and mental images

Id rather watch real visual imagery then spooks senpai

Well my military experience involved training every day in some form or another. There's plenty of ancient records talking about how important it is to keep soldiers busy, and the Romans, known for their discipline, would not have left their soldiers simply idle. These are people who had to build an entire fortress every single night while on the march.

With some training and discipline they'd possibly make pretty great soldiers. They're all on average much taller and heavier then your average Roman, so if they can pass the same training as Romans then they'd be better then any other green legion.

As is though? Absolutely slaughter because they'd break ranks and run.

>Different user

From what I've read smart commanders kept their men fairly busy either building fortifications, training, or building roads and the like. It was seen as bad practice to let soldiers just run amok with nothing to do.

Legionaries were traditionally from the poorer strata of Roman society, not necessarily always a farmer or farmer's son.

> 80+ lbs armor, weapon, ration, gear
> 20 miles march per day, everyday
> Build fort before night time, every night.
> Disassemble fort in the morning, every morning.
> 25 years service
> 3 in 4 die
> local population see us as oppressors when we are trying to spread civilization
> Gaius died on patrol today, knew him 15 years
> when will I die? will I ever see Claudia again? does she even care?
> The Sassanids are invading Armenia again
> mfw months long march to the Middle East
> mfw sitting ducks against horse archers in desert heat with no water
> mfw sandniggers finally surrenders but the Germans broke through the Rhine defenses. Again.
> mfw march hundreds of miles back and we are apparently in a civil war now.
> mfw the land I was promised at end of 25 years was distributed to retried troops so they would reenlist to fight fellow Romans.
> mfw germans are running wild in gaul because nobody was there to stop them
> mfw incompetent commander lead us into ambush
> mfw recieve flesh wound in minor skirmish
> mfw no antibiotics and wound becomes infected
> mfw no anesthetics for amputation
> mfw bleeding out alone in a tent
> mfw messenger tells me Claudia has married another man
> mfw just another nobody dying for the personal gain of generals and Emperors
> mfw getting compared to cubical rats playing dress up.

Reenactment is finally cool

In warfare, height doesn't mean much. I should clarify that, size doesn't matter much in combat, but it does in logistics, so it depends on your end-game.

Stabby stabby is the same as shooty shooty. Just one good one and you're out of the fight.

they can't speak latin or greek
well physically, yeah, if they're fit. They're fucking huge in size compared to the republicans, so that's a bonus.

A professional campaigning Legion? Very few to none probably.
Some forces in Italy that are there to hold shields and occupy space? Perfect.

>it ain't me starts playing

Wow

can can men do against such reckless barbarism?

>Childhood abuse produces an individual with LESS mental fortitude
sjw detected.

No but really, if you think any population in antiquity was less physically fit than modern sedentary, junk food adoring humans you are too stupid for words.

>Id rather watch real visual imagery then spooks senpai
so would I but most visual imagery is plebeian at best and slave-tier at worst

>thought no Roman ever
Self-pity is a product of our own shrinking world

I means more reach and more intimidating. The Romans were shit scared of the gauls for years because they thought they were fucking huge. Modern people probably have a few inches on average over Gauls, so that would work for them.

>that just makes people neurotic and less able to handle stress

bullshit

>dude, beating little kids is ok lmao
nah

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1494926/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4317260/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2475802/

>ncbi

NCBI is a fine source autist

The Romans had something similar to stainless steel, it just wasn't common