Canada General Mk.2 - Sorry! Edition

Discuss the area you live.
Favorite Canadian brands.
Where to find some good deals.
Find like-minded individuals at your university
How you're prepping for f/w.
Positives and negatives of the city you're living in.
>Winnipeg
>Good resturaunt both ethnic and traditional
>University of Manitoba always has stuff to do
>Great music and Theatre scene
>Interesting architecture downtown
>Very friendly people
>Easy to bus around
>Low cost of living (I have a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice complex 10 minutes from my university for $1050/Mth)
>The Forks
Negatives
>Cold as tits
>Basically no fashion scene
>No designer boutiques
>The North End
>SJW infested UofW
>high tobacco prices

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.reigningchamp.com/products/reigning-champ-x-asics-bomber-heather-grey
m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/10740892
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw Winners men's "runway" section is shit

I'm salty about the fact that women's gets shit like Celine, Rick, SLP, etc. and men's is stuck with like Kooples and that shitty Versace line. Best I've found is Neil Barrett, but it wasn't even a good piece

Positives and negatives of the city you're living in.
>Montreal
>beautiful city
>great food scene
>pretty girls
>cheap living
>decent public transit

Cons
>bed bugs/cockroaches/rats
>shitty roads
>slow walking tourists

Bump

pros
>almost always cold so layering is key

cons
> toronto is somehow the fashion front of the country

Winnipeg is one of the most depressing city in canada.

ayy mtl gang

no, you need to drive 6 hours east for the fashion capital of the country...

Eh I feel like it's a mind set sort of thing. You have to make an effort to find stuff to do and be in an area of the city that doesn't depress you. I'm happy living there and I have lots of friends so keeping busy isn't hard. Granted if you live in the north end yer fucked that area is just sad.

>Small west central alberta town
Pros
>Beautiful landscapes, mountains, friendly people (unless you're a minority)
Cons
>No one has fashion sense
>rednecks and farmers everywhere
>cold as fucking shit in winter (-50c)
>No good restaurents, no good anything, need to drive 3hours one way to nearest city to buy anything that isn't mass market and/or walmart

Bump

gonna try terrorwave in canada, getting sambas, have torn jeans, paint stained shirt, gonna buy a fat knife and a nice military jacket at the surplus in kingston.

just moved here p accurate

Vancouver
positives
>really nice skylines
>nothing lower than -5 C during the winter
>friendly people
>good Asian food

cons
>million dollar homes
>SJW capital of BC
>FOBs everywhere
>homeless infested downtown/east side
>constant rain during the winter
>if its nice its expensive

off topic, anyone got good guidelines for buying lululemon? I just got hired by them and will be getting a really good discount. Never worn any of their clothes before but now that I have the discount i'll most likely try to cop a few pieces.

depending on where you are you might either get
1) the cops called on you
2) be confused for homeless
3)not noticed (usually occurs in big cities)

I did so well at Gravitypope yesterday toronto friends

shop.reigningchamp.com/products/reigning-champ-x-asics-bomber-heather-grey

They had that on sale for 180 and then told me about a buy one get one free, so I got a free carhartt WIP flannel.

lately toronto is one the hype map because of meme rappers

I didn't like anything from that drop except maybe the sneakers, but so long as you're happy. I do like that area for more casual shit. J+O, Lost & Found, Oliver Spencer, some of the vintage shops. Dynasty has beautiful plants too. I found an SNS Herning sweater at that mens second hand store up on ossington for like $70 recently. Pretty stoked.

omg no kidding. And the koreans are the only ones doing it properly.

Originally a small town outside Ottawa, in Kingston attending Queen's. Most of Eastern Ontario is pretty much the same.

Before McGill fags want to start shit, I got in there too. Went to Queen's cause parents pressured me into it. Like Queen's a lot but Kingston is a shit town. I play on the football team and we played McGill last week in Exhibiton and being in Molson Stadium and driving through old Montreal almost made me want to transfer.

Pros:
> Super chill, well respected school
> beautiful girls (coming from a small town, this is big)
> Beautiful campus with lots of shit to do, I love the gym, libraries, everything
> Not terrible housing prices
> Everything is pretty close by
> The waterfront is beautiful, daily parties on the pier
> Student population is tight knit

Cons:
> like every other Uni in Canada, SJW ridden. I have to tread carefully when talking politics.
> Lots of shitty housing, north part of downtown is super sleazy
> Bar scene is shitty
> too many townies. I'm from a small town and can handle rednecks, but these are just drugged up white trash with bad tattoos in pickups pretending to be country.
> roads are shit
> Kingston is too small to attract high end stores, but big enough to attract sketchy white trash
> most students leave during Summer

Cont.

If I'm being honest though, I really miss my small town. I go back often and hate leaving. Its definitely not effay but its so peaceful. At university I'm always busy and in my little down time people are always dragging me out to bars and to parties or to do some bullshit. Theres always SJWs protesting some bullshit or theres people blocking to student centre with some dumb intrepretive dance/art shit.

When I go back to my hometown, everything is calm. Old people go to church on Sundays. I get to see my old friends and we fish and go swimming or play pickup ball hockey or video games, or whatever. I get to lift at my old HS gym with my friends. I was one of the few kids from my school who went to Uni. I know I'm gonna make way more than the others that stayed behind, but I get really pissed regardless. I hate that I'm miserable and all the people that stayed behind are happy in their low paying jobs and get to spend their afternoons relaxing and I'm supposedly the one that made the "right" decision and went to school and am getting stressed out all day and night.

Queens??

Montreal

>Pros
Low cost of living. It's cheap for a reason

>Cons

FUCKING EVERYTHING ELSE

Montreal is an absolute shithole, most overrated city in North America by ignorant young people who simply don't know better.
Ugly architecture outside downtown, horrible weather, girls are hot by American standards but ugly as fuck compared to Europe (except maybe U.K. kek), health care is garbage, school is garbage, the whole city just sucks ass.

St. Catharines

>Pros
Can't think of any

>Cons
It's fucking shit

what's a FOB?

fresh of the boat chinks

V I C T O R I A
Where is there other than 4Horseman and Is This Men's Wear?

still life, value village

oh yes my friend. going into second year

Bump

Program? I'm Geology but theres definitely not many effay people here

im history, gonna grow that rasputin hair/beard and start living on the outskirts of society

checking in Veeky Forumsm

hopefully no ragrets in your decision

I'm moving to Kingston for uni from London (UK) in two days, is it nice? I've never been to your continent before - how do you guys stay Veeky Forums in the winter when it's ball shrivelingly cold?

>Ottawa
Pros
>Rideau center
>Lots of shops
Downtown
>cheap rent
>free activities
>parc de la gatineau is awesome for long bike rides and mild hiking
Cons
>need a car to get to fun places
>bus are shitty
>people are cold
>it gets fucking cold during winter
>lots of basic white girls at uni

Its not that bad it just mostly seems empty and lonely since only families live around here hence no after hours or rave party, not a good drug access and if you do its bad.

Down jackets and long johns. My parents grew up in Kingston and it's kind of a shithole. The campus is nice, the rest of the town not so much. Princess street has come a long way though.

From London, Ontario
Pros
>pretty decent music scene
>Some nice architecture
>Gets really cold in the winter

Cons
>ridden with really basic uni students
>lots of rich Asians everywhere, but none of them dress well
>any fashion scene present is shit and dictated by the students at the uni
>nothing much to do

St. Catherines has a pretty good art scene desu
also it's a reasonable distance from Toronto and the housing is super cheap
no idea why you're complaining

Not him but that's absolutely not true.
Niagara has been dead for years both job wise and music wise.
It's also not cheap anymore either.
Who the fuck puts on for St. Catharines? Yeesh, get out while you still can.

I live in Toronto and have only really ever been down there to party but idk man it seems pretty good to me esp. considering you can get a detached house for like $300k

Will I be able to survive in a thick wool coat and lots of layers or are technical cold weather clothes completely essential? Also I've heard that boots not specifically designed for winter won't be warm enough either, this true?

>Michael Kors opened at Masonville
>Some nice pieces, but it's being overrun by upper-middle-class moms
>They buy the ugly overpriced bags with MK plastered all over, trying to look rich
>(Everyone knows rich people don't TRY to look rich)
>Walk around with unwarranted superiority complexes and then come into my store asking about tea-tox programs with their poor neutered husbands in tow
Wew

I had to live there for 18 years and some family still does, it's terrible.
m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/10740892

That sucks, I was born and raised in Toronto which has left me jaded af
I want to buy a condo at Queen/Dufferin but my finance guy keeps telling me to move south and buy a house because it'll hold it's value better or whatever
but I guess St. Catharines is off the table now...

The city died when GM closed down. There's really nothing there man, not trying to crush your dreams or anything but I'd really suggest against investing in property down there unless it's in like a winery NOTL or something.
Canada in general seems like a sinking ship.

It depends on how long you're spending outdoors. Like I couldn't go camping in the winter without going full Michelin Man, but if you're just going to class, to a bar, back home etc, layering smartly will probably be fine. And winter boots are not necessarily required. You'll need wool socks, maybe even two pairs, and your boots should be proofed to resist water and snow, but you don't need insulated Sorel's or anything. Make sure they have good grip, like a lug sole, and you should be fine.

Hamilton is about as far west/south that's safe to go. At least it's improving rather than being stagnat or even declining.

Nah man it's cool, I'd rather hear about shit rather than go and buy something only to find out I hate it and then not be able to get out
No one can give me a straight answer on whether or not the housing market is going to crash anyways
Honestly I haven't even looked at Hamilton, might have to do that

this isn't even an opinion this is just fucking stupid.

I live in Montreal btw.

>pros

Yes the cost of living is cheap.

">Cons, everything else"

Really? What about the fact that Montreal was rated the top city in Canada for students, the best city in North America for food in 2016?

The architecture outside of downtown is not shit at all, in fact most of the architecture in the Plateau is pretty world renowned for being quaint and beautiful as well as colourful. The downtown is literally just regular business towers, that's what you consider great architecture you fucking retard?

The music scene here is easily one of the best in Canada, and you can't say the nightlife is better anywhere else in Canada. I've lived all over the country and Montreal is the only city with any true drinking and party culture as well as all around appreciation for food culture. Seriously, try having a night out in Vancouver, Halifax, Ottawa, hell even Toronto can be pretty shit if you're not willing to shell out major cash. I can spend $40 all night and get good food and drinks and still have some leftover to do something fun.

Yeah we get it the construction sucks and yeah the weather is bad, but other than that it sounds like you're the real "ignorant young person" in this situation you fucking dipshit. Move to fucking Edmonton or some shit and come back and tell me Montreal is an "absolute shithole" compared to cities like that with a straight face.

I'm only here for 1 more year of school then I'm leaving

Bump

Cheers man, I'll pack my doc martens then.

Nice. Nothing is more effay than having a wandering vagrant look

Get a nice down coat. Canada goose is a little overplayed now but its not bad

The basic white bitches are easy pussy, dont complain

toronto
pros
none

cons
everything
faggots
hipsters
non whites
terrible food
overpriced real-estate
escape rooms
vape shops
weed dispensaries
poor people
homeless people
crazy people
Zante
the man with the cat in the leafs jersey
the man with the big dog in the sweater
the BELIEVE In the Lord guy
church street
el furniture shit house
yogurtys
Kensington fucking faggot DUDE WEED VEGAN MARKET
streetcars
traffic
roads
busses with niggers
Jane street
weston road
scarbourough
Markham
hanlans point
seven lives tacos
taco el Asador
the people at ramen places yelling at you
getting yelled at by the dangerous Dans staff
honest eds
the shoe museum

fuck I could go on forever

>Really? What about the fact that Montreal was rated the top city in Canada for students, the best city in North America for food in 2016?

Not an argument.
By that logic, Lil Wayne or any other shitty rapper produces "objectively" good music because he is "world renowned".

Also, thank you for proving my point:

>hurr durr best food
>hurr durr best music scene
>hurr durr best drinking culture

This is EXACTLY what I am talking about. These are the EXACT "arguments" used by 18-30 years old retards like you to justify the so-called "awesomeness" of Montreal.

News flash, young faggot: not everybody measures the quality of a city based on it's restaurants, concerts and nightlife. No offense, but just think about how ridiculous this statement is.

>Move to fucking Edmonton or some shit and come back and tell me Montreal is an "absolute shithole" compared to cities like that with a straight face.

I don't doubt they are worse, but I don't hear people cheering for Edmonton nearly as much as I hear about Montreal being "a great place to live in" because hurr durr restaurants music and nightlife.

You'll probably be fine in regular stuff. But its fun to go full arctic-explorer-core on really cold days. Try some red wing boots.

shit, you just typed out everything I hate about the city.

Especially Scarborough and escape rooms

that's nothing. I have so much more.

I go to mcmaster and hamilton is still garbage. Maybe improving, but I can't tell. And definitely not improving fast enough to compete with a real city

Carleton or UO?

Any of you Veeky Forumsggots live in Newmarket? Everyone I know has left and I am just up here working away.

Montreal?

any online shopping that wont fuck you with shipping cost? need a nice anorak

I got a boreal mountain anorak in Black and its nice as fuuuuuuck. Worth the $250 plus shipping. Plus no one else has one.

Carleton

yes

>Ctrl+F Alberta
>1 result
A-atleast im not the only one

you're not, there were a few other people from edmonton in the other thread.
i'm an ex-edmontonian but now living in montreal.

mac senpai wya

I live in Kelowna and tourist season is dying down so biking to work is less hazardous,
though I'm going to miss the people watching
The thrifting here is alright and I've found some pretty rad find.
I'm probably going to go for a trip though all the smaller thrift stores on my day off tomorrow and look for some sweaters and maybe a plain backpack to put patches on.
hours are going to be a little reduced so I'm going to apply around for a fun chill part time job, maybe a barista or warehouse gig.

Pros
long summer and good weather
close to vancouver

Cons
less than 1% vacancy rate
sunshine tax
jobs are scarce outside of tourist season
aggressive old people
no arts/fashion scene
music scene is dominantly dubstep, metal, and folk

I used to live in winnipeg and I miss it if only for it's size and diversity in restaurants

I'm thinking about getting a transfer to vancouver or toronto, has anyone lived in both? I'd love to hear how they compare
I;ve heard rent is a little cheaper in toronto, transit is better in van, sushi is better in van, restaurants in general are better in toronto, what's the consensus on the fashion scene in toronto and van?

Bump

>Maybe improving, but I can't tell.
If you don't get out of Westdale, you'd never notice.

Lots of areas are still filled with welfare whores, but street like James, Locke, Ottawa etc have come a long way in the past 5 or so years. I don't think anyone would have gone near James North 10 years ago.

I feel that, I work at Bench in Masonville and I swear all the upper middle class mom's that walk in won't even reply when you greet them.

chicoutimi here

Any haliburton fags? I just moved here for school and I don't think I've talked to anybody in like 5 days.

Cute town though

Pros
Couple good restaurants
Hiking
Scenery
Big lake in the middle of town
If you live in town everything is in walking distance
College town during the school year
Cons
Fuck there is nothing to do except smoke pot and go for walks, I just want school to start

Oh and no fashion. But that's expected of a poor redneck town in northern ontario

quebec city here

pros:
beautiful
basse-ville/downtown are effay as fuck
close to montreal
nice cafes and bars

cons:
filled with retards
everyone under 21 think they're mac demarco
music scene is abysmal/no good band ever comes here

where can I get some cheap adidas tracksuits

you misspelled Vancouver

pretty new to the city, what would places would places would you recommend on a night out? i really only know st laurent and crescent street (crescent seems like shit)

i want to have fun ;_;

>would places would places would
lol what im retarded

VV boutique goes without saying. I'd hit it up and hit Heritage as I was leaving, but that's closed now

anyone in calgary interested in buying my basically new ramones?

I'm at Ottawa, are there any nice stores by Carleton? Never really in the area.

Are there any nice stores near carleton? I'm at Ottawa and never really checked it out.

carleton is out of the way kinda on the edge of ottawa you need to take a bus to get into the city and anything cool and the surrounding neighborhood is shitty and poor
lots of punks and poor people

Wudup Queen's senpai

Montrealer who moved to Kingston in grad school.

Pros:
> Pretty much everything the other dude said
> Gotta reiterate the part abut the girls. Very basic but the vast majority are fit and pay attention to their physique.
> Tons of awesome architecture, really old ass buildings and charming houses
>Easy af to meet people (not sure why this is)
> Super walkable and right in between 3 of Canada's largest cities
> Bar scene is good in the sense that you don't have to deal with uber/driving drunk other bullshit because you can just walk home. There isn't much diversity in bars but it's all concentrated in one area which is nice.

Cons:
> Not sure about SJW shit, there are a lot of rich WASP-y Ontario boys though
>Shopping selection is pretty decent for size of the city (the city kills Sherbrooke, Guelph and even cities several times its size in most respects desu)
> North part of downtown is not even that bad, some seedy fuckers but they're harmless and will probably only steal your bike
> Summer is nice af but yeah everybody leaves
> No private sector jobs and too much competition

It'll get better. Trust me man, my ex decided to pursue the life you're talking about. She's 21 with a kid and married to a dude with a dead end job. As soon as you're done busting your ass things will get better. I'm from a small town too and it's nice to visit and all, but it's depressing coming back and hanging out with people who never left and having to deal with driving 20 minutes just to get to the bar.

tfw people will mistake you for a north of princess bike thief

Dude you will be fine. I wore some bomber last winter and chippewa apaches 95% of the time. Canadian winters are getting tame. Please don't buy canada goose.

Oh wait I forgot

Major con:
> Almost non-existant music and art scene. Kind of a pain in the ass when I want to find people to start a band with.

winter coat suggestions for a female?

St. John's, Newfoundland

pros
>water front
>can literally buy a 2 bed 1 bath home 2 mins from downtown and 5 mins from waterfront for under 100k
>cultural bylaws keeps old town (the colourful homes n churches in pic) fuggin gorgeous and skyscrapers away
>people are nice, even worst areas of the city are fairly safe to walk through, just try to dodge druggies
>c o m f y
>very very little crime, aside fro malcohol and some drug stuff
cons
>not many jobs, but if there are jobs in Newfoundland, you'll hear first about them in St. John's
>weather (was literally 9 deg. Celsius today around 6:30pm)

oh also the whitest part of Canada which probably explains both lack of crime and the niceness

a thick one

Got stabbed in the back by some native for not giving him a smoke. Fuck this place

thanks senpai

You gotta be more specific, fem.
A person living in Van doesn't have the same reqs as a person living in Calgary.

St. John's seems amazing. I hear almost overwhelming praise for it these days. Is there hostility towards transplants from the rest of Canada? If you're from elsewhere, do you keep in touch with people from back home or is it like moving to another country almost?

It is truly a great city in a lot of ways (people, sights, nice summers, real estate's cheap, you buy beer basically in any store, no crime etc)
but in other ways not so much (little job opportunity, winters are fucking terrible, fall and spring are 2 long storms of rain and hail, you cant understand half the baytowners coming into the city)
I personally haven't noticed any hostility and I've been here a month (from farmland ontario)
>do you keep in touch with people from back home or is it like moving to another country almost?
due to a plane ticket off the island being ~ 400 bucks and taking 7 - 8 hours to get to nova scotia alone by driving and ferry, its pretty physically isolated.
although internet/phones has made it easier to talk to people away from home so u get less homesick (but goddamn i miss my dog)

here's a pic of a cliffside neighbourhood in the city called the battery t b h

oh also the university here is 3600 for 2 semsesters tuition and the college is ~1500 for 2 semesters