Crusades Book

I normally don't go on Veeky Forums, but I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I'm going to be writing a book that takes place during the times of the first crusades, with Pope Urban II and all that.

I want the book to depict the affairs of the different groups of people of the time. The main groups I'm interested in are the holy men in the Vatican, the crusaders, the Muslims, and the common people (peasants, traders, etc.)

Sad to say, aside from playing Assassin's Creed, I really don't know much about the way of life for these people during this time.

That's where I need your help Veeky Forums. I could just go to the library and read through some books, but most books that I can about the crusades usually just talk about the battles and nothing else.

With your help, this could become the next Game of Thrones.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/RealCrusadeHistory/videos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not asking how to write a book. I'm asking what life was like during the time of the first crusades.

read Carole Hillenbrand "The Crusades: Islamic Perspectives" for some good primary sources.

and Amin Maalouf's "The Crusades through Arab eyes" is pretty fantastic.

Jonathan Riley-Smith "The Crusades" is a decent intro into this but focus more on his primary and secondary sources because it will help you do research in the future.

This one is pretty good.

It's narrative is a bit outdated but primary sources are decent

thanks

>through Arab eyes
>Islamic Perspective

Not seeing any bias here

Unfortunately, outside of the "What Life Was Like" series, there's not much I can think of for a one-stop place of material culture and personal affairs.

The first one is by a Western author. OP also specifically asked for sources on the Muslims innit?

>Asking sources on what groups, one of which muslims, experienced during the Crusades requires reading two books about the islamic experience and one book about the experiences of the others
>Also implying that a western author can't be a cuck that thinks the crusades were a proto-holocaust

The Islamic sources have a lot more anecdotal daily life stuff not only about Muslims but everyone else in the Levant

shhhhh no more tears only dream.
you clearly haven't read Carole's book.
nothing about proto-holocaust in fact she is a strong supporter of Norman Housely's "contesting the Crusades" where he talks about how the death toll of the crusades is usually inflated on both ends.

Don't judge a book by its cover, user.

Fair enough user

I said the author could be a cuck, not that he is.

"REMEMBER THE 4 GORILLION" is a common normie meme

you'd be surprised how out of fashion it is in the academic community.

literally only Bill Maher still spouts this shit on a daily basis

Yeah this. The Crusader sources are mostly either chronicles or romances of great kings and dukes, so you'll get lots of names and dates of important battles and such, but not too much else. Maybe some insight into diplomacy and the personal relationships of a king like Richard, if you're lucky.

Sources like Usama ibn Munqidh however have a lot of random shit. Like, how his grandfather or uncle, I can't exactly remember, talked about how his day wouldn't really begin until he fucked a different peasant girl in the morning. Or how he was sitting with local Christians on a feast day when suddenly Assassins jump out of disguises and take over his house, but got their asses kicked by his mother or something.

Good shit.

ooo, and watch out for that juicy heresiography.

>Christians calling Muslims heretics
> Muslims calling Christians heretic
> Muslims calling Muslims heretics
>Christians calling Christians heretic
>Muslims, Christians and Jews calling pagans heretics.

It's real banter.

I know you asked for a book, but you might also consider listening to Sharyn Eastaugh's podcast, "History of the Crusades." I've really been enjoying it, and it seems very objective

Pick videos that interest you, sources are listed at the end. He's also really responsive on Facebook and will probably answer any question you have.

youtube.com/user/RealCrusadeHistory/videos

Thanks