Swords were utter dog shit and the fact that people wasted money on them proves that everyone pre 19th century was...

Swords were utter dog shit and the fact that people wasted money on them proves that everyone pre 19th century was nothing more than an ape. Battles were all about spears, polearms, bows that sort of thing the shitty meme weapon was only a sidearm which was used maybe as a toothpick at most

>inb4 muh 1v1 combat

yeah because that's what warfare is all about right? Mortal Kombat tournaments. Swords were to weapons what Miley Cyrus is to music.

At least you tried somewhat to make it subtle

Nice bait. But we all know that katana was the real kind of the battlefield.

>shh nothing personel, puer

Romans were a meme.

The Roman gladius is one of the deadliest weapon in history. A sword like weapon was the perfect fit for the tactics Romans used. Swords have their uses as do spears. No weapon that survived more than a year were useless.

Spears were not dominant because they were somehow inherently superior, but because they were cheap and easy to use (though professional spear armies existed)

THE ROMAN GLADIUS IS ONE OF THE SHITTIEST SHITFUCKERIES IN HISTORY SO GARBAGE THEY WERE THAT ROMANS HAD TO EMPLOY SUPERIOR GERMANIC MERCENARIES TO SPEARCHUCK THEIR WAY THROUGH ENEMIES

Your opinions are utter dog shit and you know nothing about ancient warfare.

But I do know about medieval one when the fucking things became obsolete.

Swords were used even in fucking WWII. You know shit about medieval combat. They used swords because it fucking worked.

>even in fucking WWII
>citation needed

>WHEN YA GET BEAT IN 1 THREAD SO YA MAKE A NEW ONE COS YA BUTTHURT

No.

CHINESE DADAO
FORGED FROM SHITTY STEEL
FOLDED LITERALLY ZERO TIMES
CUTS THROUGH GLORIOUS NIPPON KATANA
ALSO MADE OF SHITTY STEEL
FOLDED ONE MIRRION TIMES

He'll post Jack Churchill, the one maniac who used a sword and managed to get a kill because he was one of those mad people who love war

Other than that and Japanese officers they weren't used and they certainly weren't effective because guns > swords

The pistol is utter dog shit the fact that people wast money on them proves that everyone is nothing more than an ape

That's because you're supposed to use 2 swords

Or maybe, just maybe, they hired barbarians as cannon fodder instead of sending in their own professionals.

I think soldiers carried every single weapon.
And swords were better close range, and spears were shit close range. If you're on horse it's better to have a sword than a spear.

>implying cavalry units didn't use swords

>Not Claymore

That's an impressively accurate filename.

Almost got me

o jeez ur right

where is this from?

>Trying to block claymore with wood axhandle instead of sidestepping ridiculous overhead and slashing the backs of his knees

highly entertaining though
would watch another three times

Ironclad

I did not realize he was killing three guys in one swing the first two times I watched it. What a fun movie.
>His Majesty Paul Giamatti

so , what else would you pick as your sidearm then?

my favorite historical meme.

>sidestepping
he would either run into the wall, giving him no room to move his axe, or off the edge of the battlement

I really liked how in that scene not a single actor knew what to do with his weapons. Especially two swords guy; surprise surprise.

>implying cavalry units were effective after the Napoleonic wars

A sword is perfectly fine for officers and mounted combatants. Officers nowadays carry pistols as sidearms and the same arguments could be used for them. No unit of combat infantry uses pistols as their primary weapon.

THISSwords were the PDW back in the day( when firearms aren't that effective or basically non-existent)
The were quite useful in certain aspect of war.

There were some serious sword fighting in Asia between the chinese and the japanese, both introduce new swords and sword handling programs to their officers and soldiers.

so, are we talking one-handed swords here?

cause if you want to fight against two-handed weaponry like spears and polearms with a sword , you get yourself a sword with a bit of reach.

there is a reason zweihänder and claymores were invented and used, and certainly not just because you want to cool

everything else would be better as a sidearm

*want to look cool

cavalry units were effective until motorised infantry
see: russian civil war

that wouldn't happen

When someone does that, the broad overhand, just fucking run right into them.