What went right?

What went right?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Georgian_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Absolutely nothing.

But I had a question though: Why couldn't Israel just completely annex the territories occupied after invaded by neighboring Arab countries? That used to happen all the time, if you attack another nation and lose, the occupied lands are ceded. Has there been some international convention prohibiting this since the formation of Israel?

Ever since WW2 annexing conquered land has been looked down upon, to put it lightly.

Apart from the border shifts immediately following the end of the war, the closest thing there's been to a full-on annexation in the postwar period has been the establishment of puppet states.

Take the big bad Soviets, for example. For all the shit they got for literally holding half of Europe hostage for half a century, they *only* went as far as creating puppet states in Eastern Europe rather than completely annexing them.

And then look at dedicated wars of conquest. Somalia in 1978 invaded Ethiopia with the intention of taking and annexing the Somali-majority region of Ogaden. The Soviets not only withdrew support for Somalia, but completely flipped sides, executed the largest strategic airlift effort in Soviet history, and supported Ethiopia as they completely slapped Somalia's shit.

Iraq was even worse. Saddam invades Kuwait and fully annexes the country, and then six months later the entire country is wrecked and the Iraqi army is annihilated.

Annexation is no longer tolerated by the international community, especially in cases where the people living in the occupied area are a distinctly different population than the occupying power.

Well, the Crimea thing's kinda died down now.

Except for Putin, evidently, because he does as he please, in Georgia and the Ukraine

>Georgia
Why does he want it? What's going on there?

Technically it happened under Mendvedev, but Putin was probably orchestrated the incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Georgian_War

Tl'dr: Georgia has minorities that make up a majority in the border regions to Russia, the minorities (Abkhazs and Ossetians) have populations on the other side of the border, they start causing trouble, the Georgians retaliate, Russia steps in and takes the two rebellious provinces, everyone pretends they care for a month then promptly forget what ever the fuck South Ossetia was

There's a big difference between a forced annexation and a voluntary annexation. No matter how you feel towards Russia or Ukraine, you can't deny that many in Crimea want it to be a part of Russia, which softens the international backlash.

yeah, kinda similar to Nazi Germany annexing Austria (not trying to call Putin Hitler just similar situation)

Are you high or russian? No did shit because they're a nuclear power like when china annexed tibet, and even then they are one invasion from total war at this point

>Are you high or russian?
Neither
>like when china annexed tibet
But unlike when China annexed Tibet, the whole Crimean conflict was started by Crimean people who wanted to be a part of Russia.

You are slavic, they see truth in the international as temerity and challenging. The russian federation invaded because of western realignment and nothing more

I am not slavic, my friend.
>The russian federation invaded because of western realignment and nothing more
Maybe so, but the Crimeans started the conflict months before Russia got involved

Israel has annexed Golan Heights to great success and little backlash.

As a Serb, I know I shouldn't speak, but there was a massive movement to unite with Russia in the Crimea and Donbass, it was just awoken by the fall of the democratically elected, pro-Russian government. You can't just dismiss their movements because it's more simple to call the Russians imperialists and the Ukrainians freedom fighters.

When China annexed Tibet, they weren't a nuclear power.

Also Tibet had very limited recognition. Only Britkeks and Japan ever did last I remember.

I'm sure random green soldiers covering their faces would have invaded if pro-russian nazis seized power. You should know in the west this blatant denial is seen as atheistically offensive to all senses more so than invading random shitholes. I remember merkel saying she was committed to sanctions when putin refused to even admit he invaded

perfidious albion found in the jew zealous colonisers

Even the situation in the Crimea had its backlash. Russia got hit with a huge amount of sanctions for that, and it's still not internationally recognized. Crimea was also different in that it traditionally did have more ties to Russia than the Ukraine and a significant Russian Navy presence, so there was at least a moderate degree of legitimacy to the invasion. That's not to say that the Russians are justified for their actions, but there's a lot of gray area.

Georgia also follows the example. Although Russia got themselves heavily involved, they never annexed any part of the country. Instead, they're supporting rebels to create a puppet state.

So, if the United States went to fully annex Canada like many Americans like to say, would the international community do anything, or because it's the United States everyone will back down.

Depends on the situation. If they can manufacture some kind of legitimacy to it like the Russians did with the Crimea, the backlash will be much lower. However, even in a full-blown invasion odds are it'd just be a shit ton of economic sanctions because it's not like anyone would be able to militarily oppose it.