Why?

hey Veeky Forums i like the way i look in the mirror but i noticed whenever i see myself in pictures or video my face and hair always seem a bit off

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cause youre used to seeing yourself reversed

how fix?

you could buy a non-reversing mirror if you're willing to spend the money (quite costly I think)

THIS

That is very normal. It's the other way around for people who know you, theyll think you look good and find you weird seeing you mirrored

Is it normal to be completely disgusted by seeing yourself in pictures as opposed to in the mirror? I'm fine with looking at my reflection, but I look like complete shit in pictures. It's bad enough that I refuse to look at pictures of myself because I'm so disgusted with how I look.

I find myself ugly in many pictures of myself, but there are some I really like too. If it's seemingly completely impossible for a pic of yourself to appeal to you but you do like the looks of your reflection, that is pretty strange.

Because cameras distort faces.
The mirror gives you a 3d representation.

most pictures of you are probably shit because they're taken with shitty little phone cameras by someone who knows nothing about photography
you also can make the best of your looks in a mirror, because you can easily see yourself from the best angle

Cameras aren't as advanced as eyes, so you might look different in pictures than you do in real life.
Also, the reason why you think you look different is because you're used to seeing yourself in a mirror for example so you focus a lot on the differences.
Other people don't notice it.

Reversed + Lens distortion.

Lens distortion might work in the favour of a select few (i.e. models and Instagram hoes) for the rest it's just a bad deal.

Does this mean people who are used to seeing me non-reversed see me the same way i see myself in the mirror (not literally the same, but like, attractiveness wise)

No. Cameras can't see depth the way your eyes do.
That's why ugly chicks use a lot of camera angles to make them look better.

not asking about cameras, he's asking about people seeing him in a reverse image when they look at him with their own eyes

(OP)
If you have a shitty camera or a camera meant for medium range and you're shoving it right up to your face to take a picture, then it's going to look like shit because of lens distortion. Cameras with shitty and small lenses will also make the face look narrower than it really is.

Bad lighting is also a culprit. Lighting can work both ways, too, as in a mirror with good lighting will make you look a lot better than than you actually look on a regular basis.

The best way to figure out how you really look is to have a professional take a photo of you with a good camera.

Try getting your photo taken from far away with a telephoto lens or just digitally zoomed in. You'll be surprised how much better you look.

Even holding your phone at arms length will help a lot

oh god someone please answer this

I hope so

You see what you want to see. People see just how it is

So now the question is, how do we get good pictures of ourselves? It's crucial, especially for dating

the flaws that are so obviously glaring to you are almost completely ignored by everyone else

No it doesnt, this faceflip meme needs to die
Most of the time you will se your "flipped" version taken with a phone camera. those lenses are small and distort your face
what you see in the mirror is what you get

Do what girls do, take a million photos to see which camera angle loves you

I've noticed that whenever I look at other people in the mirror when they're next to me and then I immediately look at them, they look exactly the same. So I just delude myself into believing the mirror is *mostly* accurate.

Done. Boom. Problem solved.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect

this entire thread sums up my anxieties and fears resulting from my body dysmorphia.

The image of the mirror is reversed, and cameras have a specific focal length. The smaller the focal length, the more flat and wide your face appears, the bigger the focal length, the more slim and "3D" your face appears.