Veeky Forums, how can I dress like I'm in 1967?

Veeky Forums, how can I dress like I'm in 1967?

vintage clothing

I fucking love Syd Barrett.

As far 60's styles, I personally like beatnik fashion. I was thinking about dressing up as a beatnik for Halloween.

>tfw you will never get to shop at granny takes a trip and the other king's road boutiques
feels bad man

Anyway, what sort of clothing should I go for? I know the standard Paisley style but not much besides that. Sorry if I sound ignorant about this stuff, haven't really put much thought into fashion but I do want to pull off that '67 Swinging London look.

Yeah, same. I'm a guy and Syd Barrett's sense of fashion has always appealed to me.

Veeky Forums, how do I dress like Syd?

it would require a pretty nuanced understanding of the style desu, the clothes in the 60s barely resemble what is worn nowadays. waists were higher, collars were a lot larger on average, etc.

best bet is probably to hit up thrift stores and online vintage shops. make sure you look at the women's sections too. the "statement" pieces (jackets, shirts, possibly cravats) are the ones you're going to have trouble with. the rest (basic high rise chinos and chelsea boots) should be easy to find after some research.

Yeah, I mean, I have an awareness of that scene, especially in relation to Syd Barrett and the Pink Floyd, but yeah it's very different. They're like peacocks in comparison to today. Like, take Roger Waters in your picture. He looks positively muted in comparison to Nick, Rick, and Syd but nowadays you'd be the most flamboyant person in the room wearing that.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to be looking around. Any place that you'd recommend to look for those statement pieces? Also, would corduroys and velvet trousers work as well?

you gotta try etsy and ebay, these are the main places i'll recommend. setting up an entire wardrobe around this stuff will honestly be pretty difficult, especially for a beginner. it'll take patience.

velvet and corduroy sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, I realize that. I'll probably take a few months/a year or so to fully accumulate, but I'll get there one day. I'm just going to buy it a piece at a time.

Awesome! I got a few cords sitting around so that'll make do.

While we're on the subject of past fashions, how would one go about with something related to my pic here? That late '60s, early '70s look, I guess? I figure that's a lot easier to assemble in the mean time.

RustyZipper.com
Buy wholesale, I got 30 pounds of 70s clothing, haven't worn anything else for 2 years.

there's definitely plenty of 60s/70s transition period clothing out there, ask your relatives if they have any clothing from this time period. you could be sitting on a goldmine.
this website looks very promising too

I've ordered from them a bunch. Email the owner if you want a specific thing, like more polyester or cotton shirts. NOT MY WEBSITE, WISH IT WAS.

My parents were born in 1967 (My dad was born the same day that See Emily Play was released, ironically) and 1970, so all their clothing would've been from the '80s and I think they burned it all.

I definitely got that site bookmarked ( thanks user!) Any suggestions as far as general types of clothing pieces go? I get the standard jeans and t-shirt. I can rock the Roger Waters all-black outfit pretty well.

Denim jackets were popular.
Wrangler jeans are probably the closest you'll get to the proper fit of jeans from the 60s or 70s. The slim fit wranglers are awesome.
Try to find baseball t-shirt styles, with the different colored sleeves. Alpha Industries makes a M-65 which would've been worn by a lot of vets and common folk in the 60s. I see a lot of photos of buckled shoes aswell, even Fred in Scooby-Doo has them.

Brown shoes, brown/tan/blue/red pants and white T-shirts seem to be a common theme.

Seems pretty basic in comparison to the smattering of color in 1967, and I like that! Thanks for these suggestions, man, I really appreciate it. Anything else you'd like to add about fashion between like 1966-1975 would be great. It's really the area of time I'm trying to go for.

Remember, don't copy an exact style. Not everyone wore what the guys at Woodstock did.

I'm more of a late 70s to early 80s fashion, so idk. The 60s seemed more of a skinny jean/ bell bottom period, the 70s were more of a slim flared pant and a shit ton of polyester.

For the 60s, I'd go with Wrangler Slim Fit (936) jean and cotton shirts.

For the 70s I'd go with the Wrangler Wrancher, the exact same pant used by the main characters in "No Country For Old Men". The end of the pants are flared for cowboy boots, but still look nice without them. And bright polyester shirts.

Bonus: they are extremely cheap. Check out amazon, they are like 20 bucks for a pair.

Good thread, I'm into the exact same stuff and just been selling alot my designer shit and hardcore thrifting / vintage shopping.

It's pretty difficult to hit that sweet spot, you have to incorporate elements and modernize things at times, or you'll just look like you're cosplaying OR look like your typical art school student.

I've been looking at flared wranglers or the cowboy cut line which is high waisted with a bit of taper but have yet to actually get any.

for jeans i'm also into levis 501s but have yet to find that perfect pair with that vintage flared cut

Boot cut is probably the closest we'll ever get to flared pants withing the next 10 years, unfortunatley. Flares and the large disco collars are my favourites things, so fuck me.

If you're skinny high waisted pants look great. Man or woman. Love that look.

All the London fashion kids have been doing it for a while now, last few years, but yeah it's not something that's easily / readily available. The only ones I can think of right now would be like Wales Bonner and Gucci. I've considered getting some women's flared jeans because theres alot more out there

It's a little frustrating that only women have flared jeans now.

Probably learing to sew shirts would be a great start. I would guess that louder patterned shirts are harder to find. I go to a lot of vintage stores and haven't seen any around. Although I have seen some of the patterned flared pants and you can cop the required fabric at regular stores for the shirts.
Idk though im not an expert

learning how to make a shirt on your own is hard as fuck itll probably take you like 10 shirts before youre able to make something on the level of h&m or zara

also super fuckign time consuming and costs a ton of money

but yeah patterned shirts are hard, i find cool ones in womens section at vintage / thrift shops but theyre always blouses made of polyester / see through etc.