How old is your city/area? What's some local history?

How old is your city/area? What's some local history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigtuna
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hawke,_1st_Baron_Hawke
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaves,_Portugal
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

my town was founded in the XVII century, quite recent for the old world

660 years

Not much the past two centuries and i'd like to keep it that way.

Ayyyyyy PA bros WW@?

I'm from Hazleton, founded in 1780. Basically a bunch of coal-mining, industrial work, and workers' rights battles.

160 years old. Not much to talk about, except for a minor polio outbreak in the 1940s.

Founded at the second half of the first century.

>there's people right now on Veeky Forums who doesn't live in a town founded by Rome

First century before christ, sorry.

194 years old.
The reason it has the name Grand Blanc is because of the Dutch traders that came in to settle the area were fucking huge and the the Indians that spoke French called them the Great Whites.
Also it's pronounced Grand Blank also.

Time immemorial.

>2016
>Living somewhere created after people thought to start writing stuff down.

13.772 billion years, give or take

schweinfurt
americans destroyed the city industry almost completetly in the ww2.
The city recovered and now is the 3rd richest in Germany

Well of course it is. American bombs make things better. Ask modern Hiroshima

u wot m8

We were manlets back then

forgot the pic

So then it was the British or the Dutch that came over and the Indians called them Grand Blanc.
>also there used to be a massive Klansmen area in Swartz Creek/Grand Blanc

Yeah but Indians were and still are mega-manlets.

pretty boring city. it's about a millennium old, it had a few fires and a squashed peasant revolt, that's about it, really.

Aren't they fucking basketball playing giants?

Not the ones in Michigan.

lead poisoning?

Nope. And frankly I don't know any native NBA star if you mention basketball.

my former school was founded in 1624

My hometown (Marlow) has a long history and its name is Anglo Saxon for drained marshland. Mary Shelly lived there with Percy Shelly for a few years and the novel "three men in a boat" j.r. jerome was written there. Wind in the willows was set nearby i think. Oh and Steve Redgrave is from the nearby Marlow Bottom. The famous Henley Regatta is held in the nearby Henley (as seen in The Social Network) and Marlow has its own regatta each year.

The town is twinned with a dis'trict in Budapest because the iron bridge in Budapest was designed by Tierny who built an identical, albeit white and smaller, in Marlow.

Too bad your entire family wasn't kill by Americans
Veeky Forums would be a better place

>acting like he's a smart motherfucker trying to say the entire fucking state got motherfucking lead poisoning like a retard
You're retarded, seriously.

Not him but I just love how this lead shit is triggering Michicucks.

>said literally the most boring state in the union
>can't even vote right
>probably voted for his fag ass governor who's so pussy whipped he can't even scare a moderator
>Ohiocucks

170 cm, oh wow that is pretty much the same as medieval Europeans. Some Northern Europeans even averaged an inch more. I always thought native Americans were the giants.

Not very old and Sherman burnt the city down.
I live by park where confederate brigade reformed before attacking artillery battery shelling the city.
The topography has changed though so you can't much get a sense for the battles.

That's their height RIGHT NOW, not 500 years ago. They used to be much shorter.

[perfect day playing in the background]

>triggered this hard

Don't you have to attend a beheading in Dearborn or something?

There a beheading, niggers from the south (Detroit) are gonna get uppity over Moslem shit and it'll turn out to be race riot.
Also
>Lebanese girls
>not waifu material

>schweinfurt
Can someone explain to me the German fixation on pigs?

Ironically I think Sherman was pretty cool guy.
Some people are still a little sore though.

tasty

The south is madder at Sherman than Japan is at the US For two nukes

>niggers and muslims launching into a race riot over beheadings

This is supposed to be a good thing?

Yeah man, causes the property value to go down.

Only southern autist 4channers

What the fuck why would you think that? They're basically bizarro asians.

chief

And this is why people shouldn't form their opinions on movies.

You'd be amazed how much our image of America is formed by popular media.

Like do you have a token black friend or an Asian?

Yes, I do actually.

Are you a Jock, Nerd or Cheerleader?

live in York atm. Feels good man

Yes indeed but that doesn't make it a good thing. Majority of Americans actually believe that America is 35 to 40% black because blacks are so overrepresented in the media, in reality it's around 13%.

I'm a nerd, but I won at sportsball and got the nice girl at the end of high school.

And then you signed up for the army, served two tours of duty in whatever-stan?

Now I'm a cop and I have an older, wise black partner.

as in *proper* York

But you got dragged in this drug money laundering scheme run by the local mayor didn't you?

I like the brown cow for a pint and a game of pool.

Why you calling my mom a brown cow?

>Toronto

Well there was a rebellion once, and before that the Americans invaded. And all this time we've mostly been the largest city/economy in the country

The earliest mention of my city is from 1533, when it was a berth for indian canoes that came from the sea and to the river to trade shrimps, salts and other stuff under spanish governorship. In 1681 it was already considered a town.

>Kuala Lumpur

It's a pretty new city actually. Around the 1800's when the Brits colonized us. It used to be a tin mining zone with cities and government complex where the Brits control the city, the Chinese owns the tin mines and mostly Chinese and Indians working on it. Then Tin stops being relevant and we exhaust it. It grows to a city. Time went by, Japs conquered it, British got it back, Malaya was independent and now it's Malaysia's capital city

Not that you guys care about this country anyways.

Uncle Sam was born here

691 yo

Around 250 or so years old. I took a class in High school about local history and since then I've been studying both mine and other towns in my State. My town is in a Valley and was founded as a trading post by White men, and eventually we had many lumber mills. That's the gist of it.

Memphis, Tennessee. Founded 197 years ago (almost to the day).

Important happenings:
>1826: city is incorporated, Memphis is a huge trading center
>1861: TN secedes, war happens
>1957: Stax Records is founded
>1968: MLK is assassinated

Are you a dindu?

No.

But there's only dindus in Memepiss.

spokane washington founded 1871

>1889 all of downtown was burned down
>1910 first fathers day celebration
>1910s-20s bing crosby lived here
>1974 city holds world fair

>tfw my hometown had its 1150 year anniversary six years ago
You are all smalltime.

Technically I'm in a suburb but there's no interesting history there so I went with the city proper.

Recently moved out of a 40 year old city.

Now I Live in a village that gained independence 592 years ago and its name can be traced back to 1305.
It was a farmers village, burned to the ground in 1629 by Croats, and its textile industry was plagued by fires in 1725 and 1766, burning the place to the ground. In 1874 it was connected to the train network which made rich people from Amsterdam move here.
Now it's the place the tv and radio studio's are.

>Rome

You know the drill

Around 315 BC by King Cassander of Macedon

what country is this village found in?

The Netherlands

founded in the 8th century when a crazy lady went up a hill and saw a vision of a town

>fucking this
I was wondering which village we (Croats) burned down almost 600 years ago and where. By baron Trenck perhaps?

>600 years ago
Excuse my autism.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigtuna

>oldest city in Sweden
>awesome old church made by the dominican order
>had alot of monasteries, but Gustav Vasa ransacked them all. Ruins remain

Its a cool town to visit and study, boring as ever to live there. Small town mentality with a “we are better than them” attitude.

Small town in Surrey. Evidence of habitation since the bronze age, earliest written records are Anglo Saxon charters from the 900s AD. It's mentioned in the Domesday book too.

Not much interesting, but it was the residence of Admiral Hawke, who was very important in the Seven Years War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hawke,_1st_Baron_Hawke

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaves,_Portugal

Not much to say about it.
>settlements since the Paleolithic
>city itself settled by the romans, military centre of some significance, known for it's thermal waters/baths (still is actually)
>captured by/surrendered to the french in the early 1800's, retaken like a week later

It's an ok place to visit for a day or a weekend, there's some stuff to see i suppose. Like a bridge from roman times we still use and is pretty much the symbol of the city. Boring as all hell to live in though.
Not interesting I'm afraid.

>Riga
>more than 800 years old
>Germans did it

People have lived here since the iron age, Vikings used it as a trading central, Same with the Danes when they invaded. It's pretty old.

My town? The area is from around 900 AD as shown by niko ditch a danish boarder ditch. Manchester near by goes as far back as the Romans as Mamucian at least if not further

From Bolton, in the UK. It's been inhabited since the Bronze age, and has been the town since the 10th century. It has one of the oldest pubs in Britain there, Ye Olde Man and Scythe. A bishops chair was kept there until the 1980s or so, when it was knackered by a member of The Who while they were on tour. During the civil war it was parliamentarian, as it was a puritan town. It was attacked three times, with the third being successful, and the Royalists sacked the town and killed 1500 people outside the pub. Lord Derby, the man responsible was hanged after the town was retaken. After that things were quiet till the industrial revolution, when it was home to some of britiains inventors, and among other things the spinning Jenny was invented there. After that it's pretty much just textiles and Peter Kay.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton

Russia built railways across Finland during its reign. One of the largest stations this side of the eastern border was built near the Kymi. A town then sprung up around the station.

Finland eventually got its independance. After that, the civil war started and a lot of people were killed around here.
Then, in 1922 Kouvola was founded as a market town.

The Winter war came, and the soviets bombed Kouvola and its nearby regions, as it was a fairly large strategic advantage point near the Eastern border.

After the war, in 1960, Kouvola became one of the first six 'new cities' of Finland.

Sorry if I got anything blatantly wrong. I'm not too keen on Finnish history.

Hey fuck you OP, I live in the actual original York which you copied and that confused the hell out of me.

Istanbul here. You know the history as well as I do.

Hilversum, they were mercenaries under command of the Italian count Ernesto Montecuccoli, which worked for Austria-Hapsburg.

Founded around 800-700 bc, but inhabited since the neolithic, there was a really big neolithic settlement here with around 2,000 inhabitants.

Holla at yo boy
Fuck this city mayne
Fucking Democrats and the colored ruined it for everyone
Everything was going great until the Irish and the niggers came.

I'm Ojibwe (chippewa) and I have a number of family members who are above 6'3". I'm 6'1" myself.

Americans invaded and fucking BURNED THE CITY DOWN

>Ottawa
A glorified lumber camp called By-town (after Colonel By who headed the Rideau Canal engineering project) that was chosen as the capital because it was far enough away from the border that it would take more than a day for American forces to occupy it

nearly 2000 years if you believe Ptolemy's Geographia

1028 if you think it began with snowniggers

still has a very small population for a capital city though

What is now Manila was founded three times.

1) 1300s, The Kingdom of Tondo, a local Hindu kingdom, set up shop in the best harbor in the Northern Philippines for Chink trade.

2) 1400s, the Sultanate of Brunei got tremendously asshurt of the Tondo Kingdom's monopoly on trade that it attacked it and cut it in half. The Bruneian puppet state is called Maynila. Eventually Beunei declined and it was its own thing.

3) 1570's Spics got sick of their location in the middle of the Philippines and attacked north finally to have a better spot with trading with the Chinks. After fighting the Tondo and the Maynila they established the city of Manila on the place where Maynila had a fort set up to control the river trade.

In 1605 some Spanish Guy founded the city and named it Merritt as a land grant from the Spanish King. Natives called Ais lived there and now are nonexistent. The entire Island was split up into what 7 towns (now districts for the city) and then in the 1950s/60s VAB was built on the very northern part and know we were the space industry until Space Shuttle Program stopped, but SpaceX launches from here.
Also, some guy made a Dragon at the very end of the island and was named Dragon Point then got destroyed by I think Katrina, has plans to get rebuilt.

>Spacex launches from a place where AIIS used to live.

Ayy.

Kinda complicated:

Newtownabbey was formed in April 1958 by the merging of the villages of Carnmoney, Glengormley, Jordanstown, Monkstown, Whiteabbey, Whitehouse and Whitewell.

Carnmoney was built to replace a former medieval city called Coole in 1333 that had been destroyed by enemies of the king. In this area is my housing estate of Rathcoole, which was constructed in the 1940s-1950s.

Founded by the Usurper Macedon King Cassander, he named it after his wife

Over 2000 years. Oldest continuously inhabited city in Spain. All sorts of cool shit happened here in the past, but now it's a shithole with some of the highest unemployment in the whole fucking country.

I'm from Philadelphia, been around for 334 years. Lots of cool history there but unfortunately our city is dead retarded and fucked up so much historical preservation.

I'm further up now outside of Doylestown which is in one of PA's original counties. So just about as old but more rural. Lots of Mennonites around here too.