Who here actually makes their own clothes? Care to show us some of your work?

Who here actually makes their own clothes? Care to show us some of your work?

When did you start? Is it something you enjoy? Do you plan on being a fashion designer?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/fa/thread/S11682301
www92.zippyshare.com/v/godDoDMo/file.html
www92.zippyshare.com/v/DQa4BdNb/file.html
www92.zippyshare.com/v/j8KX1YVK/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I found a sweater knitting pattern I might buy..

...I've got no clue how to fucking knit, but I guess I'll have to learn.

I think I'm gonna take a sewing class at my college and if I like it, i'll pursue the harder classes and make my own clothes if I get to that point

knitting is easy as fuck, it's just really tedious. unless you have a knitting machine, it literally takes forever. it's also hard on the hands, at least for me. you can feel that carpel tunnel. knitter's wrist

i make my own clothes. it's hard. every time i sew something i learn something new. every piece presents new challenges. it's a lot of fun.

fabric is expensive as fuck.

i'd like to be a designer and support myself like that. the business logistics of something like that are fucking mind boggling, though. i mean, think about it. okay, you design something and make a sample. now you have to scale it to five sizes. now you have to locate a good deal on a bulk fabric purchase for that garment if you run your own production. or if you send to a factory, you have to spend a lot of time and money sending samples back and forth until they get it right. the business of fashion is really risky and logistics-intensive.

As easy as crocheting?

>The business logistics is pretty tedious now that you brought it up. Shame really.

oops didn't mean to greentext lol

I've tailored and customized lots of clothes but I would love to try making some

I dropped out after a year (halfway) into my fashion design program and there's a pretty fucking big learning curve, if you want to teach yourself it's going to take a really long ass fucking time and a shitton of trial and error, like ALOT

if you're serious about it i'd take some classes

I made a Cheech Wizard tshirt and now I'm busy with a suprematist turtleneck sweater. Made the patterns, now to find the right fabric.

Also can any of you share this work in progress pasta next time when you make a new DIY thread?
warosu.org/fa/thread/S11682301

new links to books:
about sewing/knitting/dyeing
www92.zippyshare.com/v/godDoDMo/file.html
www92.zippyshare.com/v/DQa4BdNb/file.html

Colour theory by David Hornung
www92.zippyshare.com/v/j8KX1YVK/file.html

Why did you drop out? You said theres a learning curve, how big of a learning curve exactly? I have sewn once before with actual machines for a few weeks but that was it. Teaching yourself would take a long time?

I'm a fashion merchandising major and one of my requirements was to take a sewing class. I took an intermediate one and had to know how to make a shirt. Sewing for me was a love hate relationship. It's very very interesting skill to have so I highly recommend learning. The worst things about sewing is that it is very tedious and a lot of work needs to be done before actually putting a garnment together. But after learning about your different seams and teqchniques. You learn to observe good quality clothing better and appreciate craftsmanship. Again. I loved the class but it was so damn hard. Passed with a C.

i forgot to note that during class we had to sew techniques and one of these was a mini collar on a shirt. shown up there. pretty cute lol.
and yes. fabric is expensive af.. a shirt will run about 2-3 yards which for a decent price in my area (LA) a yard is about 6-10 bucks each, + youre gonna need about a half a yard of interfacing.

I'm in the first year of my BA in fashion design, fuck doing the inside yoke seam on those tailored shirts man. It takes so much to wrap your head around inverting it as you sew.

im in my third year studying fashion design

I would take a sewing class if it was offered at my university. I have a bunch of ideas for various things as small as a DIYd wallet and as big as a full seasons collection and fashion show, but actually doing them is another story.

My grandmother taught me how to sew when I asked her to take in some of my clothes.

Now, my boyfriend more than me benefits from my skill. He's a Veeky Forumsizen and clothes just dont fit him right. Baggy across the waist tight in the shoulders.

He buys to fit his shoulders and neck and I take care of the rest

>tfw no qt sewing gf

I would love to study fashion design but I would be worried about not being able to find a job. Plus I can't draw very well but I have wonderful ideas I would love to wear

I do, but I ain't gonna show ya shit nigga
Fuck yourself

great idea, I've been thinking about getting this (and some other abstract shit) on a tee or something

Same here man

bump

Any good websites for clothing and textiles?

Like as a fourm with an online comunity

Acrylic paint? I doubt you can recreate that image with fabric.

Being in the fashion industry since i graduated high school and currently in school for merchandising. the number 1 thing you need is connections. you need to straight up get out there and talk to everyone. without connections you wont get anywhere. in reality fashion is a business and it sucks. but as long as you know the right people. fuck it. maybe one day youre shitty printed t shirt is seen on travis scott and then you go big.

that trick is so fun though. roll the front and back inside on then sew on other part of yoke then somehow roll it out lolol

the Shirt on the left, for a student show.