Coming from a non US citizen - why is FDR regarded as one of the worst presidents of the USA in Veeky Forums...

Coming from a non US citizen - why is FDR regarded as one of the worst presidents of the USA in Veeky Forums? As far as I've read, the modern society considers FDR to be one of the GOATs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=myWfWk1IQrw
mises.org/sites/default/files/Americas Great Depression_3.pdf
mackinac.org/archives/1998/sp1998-01.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>why is FDR regarded as one of the worst presidents of the USA in Veeky Forums?

Who the fuck says this? It isn't 2008 and Ron Paul isn't reddit's hero anymore.

He basically just golfed his last term and did jack shit. Oh, wait, that's Obama.

GOP butthurt mostly.

They have to explain away the fact that Washington consensus neoliberal policies resulted in a stagnating middle class, but Keynesian policies made the US into a hyperpower.

He's considered one of the best by most literate people. It's just butthurt republicans. Same people that don't like Obama even though he's one of the best too.

Because he was a tyrant. Read up on the court packing scandal

Europe and Japan being a pile of rubble, and communist revolutions around the developing world might have helped. Far too many variables to assign almost any of the U.S.'s success to Keynesian economics

He wanted to pack the courts, several breaches of the Constitution, economic policies may have extended the Great Depression, and a few more reasons I can't remember because I don't care

I don't know enough about FDR to make a strong statement, but his breaking of the 2 Presidential term precedent leaves a bad taste in my mouth and smacks of the late Roman Republic.

You can actually see on a graph pretty easily where Keynesian policies ended and the government went back to shit tier gilded age economics.

In his defense, 1940 and 1944 weren't particular good times for him to step down.

Using Mother Jones should be a bannable offense.

>Obama
>One of the best

Wew lad. His foreign policy is largely responsible for Libya and the refugee crisis, race relations are at an all time low, we're seeing political balkanization on never before seen levels.

But Obama totally kicked ass, those republican rubes just need to get over their butthurt and stop clinging to guns and religion.

Oh shit, I didn't even notice that watermark.

But yeah, the data is the same no matter where you look.

In the 70s, productivity and middle class wages lost any sort of correlation with each other.

That graph correlates to the massive increases in immigration that started in the 70's. I'm not infallible, Keynesian economics might be wrong, though I doubt it is. But one correlation in a sea of interacting variables is not airtight evidence.

>His foreign policy
To be fair, all his cockups resulted from listening to Hillary.

>race relations are at an all time low
???

It literally depends on your political opinion.

If you're a Republican he was a villainous tyrant who wasted huge amounts of taxpayer dollars doing nothing and it was the magic of capitalism that saved the economy from the great depression and his legacy is the legacy of tax and spend Big Government.

If you're a Democrat he was the greatest president since Abraham Lincoln, saving capitalism from itself through reform and leading to a new conception of civil society where the government plays an active role in stabilizing the economy and reducing the misery of its citizens.

The bell curve of average Americans don't have that strong of an opinion on the matter.

Personally I think they're both wrong. What got the U.S out of the Great Depression was WW2, an 800% increase in government spending on heavy industry and a mandatory employment program. Not to mention America being the only economy untouched by the devastation, meaning that entering WW2 was, by economic standards, one of America's smartest investments.No other society in history managed to reverse its fortunes by engaging on a capital redistribution policy of such scale relative to the size of its economy, and the New Deal didn't even begin to approach the necessary scale. Pity that it takes a massive war to convince people to pull their economies out of the toilet.

>race relations are at an all time low
Yeah, all those BLM terrorist attacks ala 70's era Black Panthers are really bringing this country to its knees

Wait...

>FDR
>Golfing
>Last term

You should have just ended that post there

"He took shitty advice from an underling" isn't exactly a great defense.

"all time low" was hyperbolic. Worst since the civil rights movement. After electing a Black president.

Obama claimed he was going to unify the country. "There is no liberal America and Conservative America. There is The United States of America!" What a line. That speech got him into the Whitehouse.

Then the ZimZam trial happened and Obama said "If I had a son, he would have looked like Trayvon."

Not "Guys this is a tragedy, but the case is grey and we have to let justice handle this."

Not "Guys, race might still be an issue but there's no denying we've come far. If the half black son of a single mother can grow up to be president, this country might not be as racist as we think. We have a ways to go, but we can get there together."

No, he played the nigger card and pandered to black America because Democrats need the vote. He doesn't give a fuck about them. He's a slimy politician like everyone else in this twilight of our democratic republic.

Fuck Obama.

I'd actually bet on 1992 being the all time low.

No, not even close. LA riots were far worse than anything that's happened since. The fact that it's talked about now doesn't mean it wasn't happening before.

>Massively expanded the scope of the federal government
>Propped up the USSR via lend-lease
>Prolonged the depression and destroyed private-sector jobs
>Oversaw the first federal gun control legislation
>Deliberately and knowingly embroiled the US in WWII
>Stacked the supreme court and gave us Wickard v. Fickburn and Currin v. Wallace
>Laid the groundwork for the UN

His political sins are legion.

>Prolonged the depression

Who came up with this meme? I've been seeing it more and more, but outside the opinions of austrian """""""""economists"""""""""" I can't find any evidence for it.

>Europe and Japan being a pile of rubble, and communist revolutions around the developing world might have helped.
>rising tide doesn't lift all boats

Try google.

>Obama even though he's one of the best too.

And that's why we are fucked.

People talk about Trump like he's Bush Jr.

I think they haven't looked at Clinton yet.

He wasn't cognizant during the LA riots.

>No other society in history managed to reverse its fortunes by engaging on a capital redistribution policy of such scale relative to the size of its economy, and the New Deal didn't even begin to approach the necessary scale. Pity that it takes a massive war to convince people to pull their economies out of the toilet.

I want to emphasize that it wasn't 800% more public spending that got us out of the great depression and into the roaring 50's and 60's.

It was the fact the government spending went to industrial growth industries (doesn't happen often desu), unified the country economically by centrally planning more of the market, and led to a beneficial spate of tax reforms that taxed the unused wealth more than the active wealth.

It was also extremely specific to that time.

>being retarded

The recession ended in 1933.

So basically Communism works, but in certain situations.

The fact that the US economy survived every previous period of economic hardship by adjusting interest rates and tariffs instead of convoluted social engineering. I'm not a lolbertarian but the US economy was severely out of whack by the late 20s because the government had been artificially sustaining post-WWI levels of production even after Europe got back on its feet.

No. State capitalism works, but only in certain situations.

Communism, the kind Marx and Lenin espoused, can function. But it's like shooting yourself in the foot. Even though you can still hobble, it's stupid.

Wait what? Who at all considers him that.

>adjusting interest rates

Fed wasn't even a meaningful institution until the 20's.

>it worked in the past so it should work now
Bad argument for economics.

1929-1932 the economy was only getting worse. Something needed to be done, and the New Deal was aimed well enough that it helped. As for the percent of the recovery it influenced, we don't know.

If you measure utility as a function of goods produced, sure.
I know lots of people who rather work three days a week and live frugally than work five and buy loads of plastic shit though.

Veeky Forums ≠ /pol/

>"Is this president good? I've heard conflicting opinions"
>"Go back to /pol/"
>mfw

It's history related, yes

I'm refering to the fact that he said that Veeky Forums doesn't like FDR
That's /pol/

You do realize that the failure of the economy to bounce back on its own from 1929-32 is what put FDR in office, right? And that the Hawley Smoot Tariff was an unmitigated disaster? Shit, even the New Deal wasn't going far enough, it was only when we ran huge deficits during WW2 that the recovery really kicked into gear.

>1940
How was 1940 not a good time to step down? The US wasn't at war. Literally everything was the same in 1940 as it had been when he started in '32. If anything he SHOULD'VE stepped down then because he did fuck all.

This, minus the divisive narrative of "republicans". Obama is far from one of the best but he's done a much better job than people give him credit for.

I swear, no one on internet message board has ever made a serious post. It's just a bunch of 19 year olds shilling for textbook Democrat or Republican (no, no, I'm """"""ALT-RIGHT"""""", I swear!!!) narratives, or just being contrarian to be edgy.

>Coast Guard destroyers fighting it out with U-boats
>Japan has invaded Indochina
>the draft has been called up
>France has fallen

Great time to hand off the Oval Office to isolationists.

>Coast Guard
Navy, in non-American waters. Undeclared naval war. Unconstitutional.

>Japan has invaded Indochina
Traded to Japan by Vichy France. Doesn't involve America.

>The draft has been called up
By a President pushing an isolationist population toward war. No actual reason for this except a paranoid cripple chomping at the bit to send America to war.

>France has fallen
Doesn't involve America.

It really was a great time to hand off the Oval office to isolationists.

Commie detected.

HUAC notified.

I'm sure he golfed plenty to wind down after running that marathon

Wickard v. Filburn
Fuck Franky for that alone

>Undeclared naval war. Unconstitutional.
>The president ordering troops to fight outside of a war is 'unconstitutional'

>Doesn't involved America
>Because Germany and Japan would have let it stay that way

>It really was a great time to hand off the Oval office to isolationists.
>Wanting the Axis to win

The President ordering troops to fight outside of a declared war without congressional approval is, in fact, unconstitutional. Didn't know that, did you?

It's not though, and I'm being to suspect this is bait

Show me the part of the constitution that says that.

Even with the War Powers act that isn't true

> Deliberately and knowingly embroiled the US in WWII

Don’t forget; FRD’s administration was infested with Communists, including flat-out Soviet spies.

That said, getting the U.S. into WWII was a good thing, both for the U.S. and humanity in general.

/pol/ is butthurt about him, and according to CATO* he was bad for minorities. Ironically, they support Trump for the reasons people like FDR.

You can practically see the butthurt about Obama in this thread. Not that Obama isn't a sack of shit, but the pathetic excuses and outright fabrications they come up with to hate him.

*lolcato

>inb4reddit

>obama
>one of the best

same could be argued about Dubya, still doesn't excuse him

Prolonged the depression and served more than two terms. There is some other stuff but this is what bothers new the most of what i know about him

Hard not to feel bad for the guy. I'm sure Bush & Obama had very similar conversations behind the scenes.
youtube.com/watch?v=myWfWk1IQrw

I thought this is History & Humanities, not Economic Illiteracy & Retardation. If you know jack shit of economics, and say that the New Deal "cured" the great depression and you blame the "evil neoliberal policies" for it than you should not be speaking about economics.

If you want to know what really happened during Great Depression i have two books for you, written by actual economists.

1. America's Great Depression by Murray Rothbard.
mises.org/sites/default/files/Americas Great Depression_3.pdf

2. The Great Myths of the Great Depression by Lawrence W. Reed (only 24 pages)
mackinac.org/archives/1998/sp1998-01.pdf

>Both books written by Austrian school """"""economists"""""""
>Both used extensively by Libertarians and Ancaps but not by any legitimate groups
>Both underwhelm FDR and the New Deal's contributions to end the depression which were essential in ending it
>Sources used by the writers are crafty and biased
How could this be more trash?

Yeah, Germany and Japan did fucking want it that way. Japan's hand was forced and Hitler seriously considered welching on his promise to Japan just to avoid declaring war on America.

>Political affiliation determines truth and falsehood

Wew.