The official thread about watches.

NEWS & REVIEWS
hodinkee.com
timezone.com
watchreport.com

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_Group
youtu.be/iX68K_uuyd8
amazon.com/Seiko-SNK789-Automatic-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0018N0HL0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1475474902&sr=1-1-fkmr0&nodeID=6358540011&keywords=seiok 5 white
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Some other user posted this. Thinking about copping.

My favorite.

gold colored watch that isn't actually gold

get the f out

Been wearing that for about a year. I'm a huge fan

What do Veeky Forums about The5th?

Looks like a meme watch, like that it's a white face though black is played out. Nice trips too.

Wellington tier. Don't buy it.

I've got a Seiko diver. It's really a great watch.

I stumbled upon Archie Luxury on YouTube. He said "ya fuckers" about 1,000 times. Should I take this guy seriously? What's his deal?

You shouldn't take anything or anyone on youtube seriously.

yeah you can't really go wrong with a casio, love that model in gold as well. great design and very inexpensive

Is there some kind of Veeky Forums approved watch table for each price range or something?

I don't know the first fucking thing but need to cop

Occassion? Dress or diver? Leather or metal bracelet, price range, mechanical or quartz?

Dress, mostly for work now that I am in the city, either quartz or mechanical is fine I guess

Leaning toward leather given my price range, I was hoping to get something for £200-£500, but all I see is ugly but good brand, or nice looking but Chinese or designer shit, I am willing to save up to £1k if thats what it takes to get something that im not going to look at in a couple years and just think its garbage

add Junghans to 2

>this is a surprisingly informative chart

well done, to whomever made this

i'd get a seiko cocktail time, a max bill quartz, or a vintage omega geneve on ebay. the first is the dressiest, the second is pure functional minimalism, and the third is somewhere in between.

Thanks m8, some great picks

Posting my watch and hairy wrists

is that a cyclops under the crystal?

Yeah, AP does their cyclops on the dial itself.

He is quite knowledgeable about watched though. I enjoy his content, his channel is for entertainment.

Looks like shit, cousin.

Stop watching youtube "fashion" channels

Does this need updated?

Won an auction for this cortebert automatic, Veeky Forumss opinion?

Date at the 9 seems a bit weird. Not a bad thing though. Besides that looks crisp.

Seriously considering getting this. Saw it in a science magazine and can't stop looking at it online. Never bought a watch on my life.

Also this is my current watch. Birthday gift several years ago.

I'd cop it

why is Fossil in shit tier?
I know jack about watches but it always seemed at least lower mid tier to me

Thanks. That's one of the very, very few watches I like the looks of.

bottom tier put cheap movements into watches they think look good, or that are imitations of something iconic, all style, no substance, fashion brands, not watch brands, no heritage, and completely overpriced.

next tier up:
better internals, but still a huge mark up, generally watchmaking brands that have a recognizable name because they have real history, but were bought up and rolled into a conglomerate sometime after the invention of the cheap quartz watch destroyed their business. production quality better than shit tier, generic internals, you're buying because of an advertisement that convinces you you're wearing history or luxury or both.

middle tier:
value for money, watchmakers with history who largely still produce their own internals, not pretending to be something they aren't and the price reflects as much. would argue with chris ward being here, but developing an in house movement moves them up.

fossil has always been a fashion watch brand; created in the 90s, savvy advertising and popular design got them a foothold. they compete on looks and selling a watch for $150 that citizen, for the sake of argument, sells with a real movement and quality materials/machining) for $600. they literally built the brand by polishing shit and convincing retards to buy it.

there are literally factories that design and produce watches for a dozen "fashion" brands. fossil is one of those producers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_Group

just curious: whats so bad about these marks in (4): baume, montblanc, tag

what do you think? It was pretty cheap. Not the actual one in pic related but same model and colour.

Would you get a Grand Seiko over a Rolex?

Yea. Rolex is played out.

Yes.

That Spring Drive GMT is sexy

grand seiko for me. maybe a quartz for the size, maybe a hi-beat for the smoothness. love the tech behind spring drives, but hate the aesthetics of the power meter.

youtu.be/iX68K_uuyd8

Hamilton or Bell & Ross? Tempted by the Pilot Pioneer but the br126 heritage is too damn nice.

They're not, it's just a troll image.

I wouldn't get the Bell & Ross based on the awful logo alone.

A company that has a man incorrectly earring their watch on his hand instead of his wrist is a shit company.

Why is tissot and tag almost in shit tier?

Aren't the good watches?

I think this watch is cool but is it quality (i dont know much about watches)

Is this a good watch for a palewave fit? or should i just get a pure white one instead

Get something like a dressy watch with a clean white dial.

don't think I can afford that right now

What is your budget senpai?

$100 preferably less

nice bro, i copped a 15710 last year. I like the clear back.

Maybe just get a Seiko 5 SNK with a white dial and metal bracelet

Something like the link. They are plenty of variations.

amazon.com/Seiko-SNK789-Automatic-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0018N0HL0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1475474902&sr=1-1-fkmr0&nodeID=6358540011&keywords=seiok 5 white

Cheapest would be something like a casio in pic. Also look into Orient.

Can swap out the band for something palewave as well.

>wearing a watch
>in 2016
>when literally everyone has a smartphone

Hoooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeee that's a good one!

>being as pleb as you
Hoooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeee that's a better one!

There's your (You)

take a screenshot

Should I go for black or white face? White face brown strap. Or black face black strap

Chris Ward above Stowa and Montblanc...are you serious bruh?

270 usd or someshit, but I'm really attracted to the minimalism.

I know it's a bit overpriced for the internals that it has but I think it looks really nice, details are on point.

Thoughts? Am I fucking up? If this is the case, I'd appreciate any alternatives ty

How would this look on a t-shirt? And what about if it had a black leather strap?

Well done, if I can find some time I will clean it up and give it a better (and easier to edit) design

Dont buy it, wait till you see something similar that you know is quality build.

I got a 2012 limited Marquis Santiago as a birthday present from my Grandma a while back, unfortunately I wore out the wristband. I am thinking of getting a metal wristband to replace it.

Anyone know about this watch? I can't find anything about it except for one website that sells it. It's automated if that makes sense.

That's what I'm doing for today, going to finish it tomorrow.
if anyone has any critique please tell me.
If there are things I need to add also tell me, please.

(its a screenshot of the photoshop file btw, as you see text isn't all the same height and not outlined but thats for tomorrow)

Expensive doesn't mean that it looks good, user.

I'm just recreating :^)

Stowa is a solid brand with an original design history & contribution.

t. Stowa owner

Why do you people still insist in trying to categorize a whole universe of watches by ranking (wrongly, of all matters) the brands??
A great watch can come from a lesser brand, as a great brand can make a total dog.

You can only compare specific watches/ familys against each other.

Honestly, this is useless.

You know shit about watches.

Just stop.

Is Steinhart really that bad. I know they are made to look like rolex but is the quality bad ? What's a good watch automatic $500 range.

orient bambino v2
best cheap mechanical watch imo

Can an Apple Watch be effay?

Not really desu

Cop or not?

If it fits your aes. Steel with black or brown leather strap, or the white ceramic, would be my pick. And the 38mm, not the large one. Sat next to a guy at fashion week who had a black/black one and it looked quite good all things considered.

I mostly dress in dress-shirts/oxfords and chinos/jeans. (very Christian background & all other family is very "upper-class")
What kind of watch would suit me best?

Vulcain cricket, Cartier tank, Hamilton jazzmaster. Classic, clean versions, don't fuck with modern materials and complicated/crowded faces, yellow gold or silver/white gold/steel depending on your complexion.

>it looked quite good
>apple

>this is your mind after reading Hodinkee and other ~watch enthusiast~ blogs

Cool reaction images, they give your opinion the weight they deserve

With a minimal aesthetic the watch works very well

Pic of another person at nyfw. Apple watches were all over

I read some reviews of the brand, seems like the general consensus was that the quality was good, but you're paying more for the look and less for the internals. Internals wasn't dog shit, but it was mediocre. I haven't really seen any watches that resemble this one, they're either all branded or 10$ amazon shit.

>Apple watches were all over nyfw
So were cock-suckers.
Can't you see the obvious relation here??

No, not seeing your point.

people hate on steinharts or any rolex look-a-likes with eta movements for the same reason ferrari owners hate on tuned-up skylines

Analogy is off. More like car enthusiasts who hate guys who buy fiberglass body kits.

got a new one of these for $8 last night, did I do good?

Yes, solid watch. Will work with most outfits.

Get an Orient Bambino 3 instead

just ordered this in gold. hope it looks as good in person. but at only 50 bucks its whatever.

w2c or something similar?