Was indiscriminate street rape, murder and violence really that common during the Middle Ages and more ancient times?

Was indiscriminate street rape, murder and violence really that common during the Middle Ages and more ancient times?

During warfare, yes.

Otherwise, everyone would operate in fairly tight communities to avoid getting killed.

Things still happened, but I wouldn't really want to be a criminal in medieval Europe.

Seems like bad things are likely to happen.

No.

>I wouldn't really want to be a criminal in medieval Europe.
you could have a pretty good run as a bandit depending on the area

No, it was never common ever in any society. It had a high murder rate by today's standards yes, but it wasn't an all out bloodbath. Most 3rd world countries are safer nowadays than 1st world countries were a mere 2 centuries ago.

for robbing a church, the usual punishment was to be skinned alive by the local butcher

but why would someone feel the need to rob a church in the first place?

cause churches are rich and more poorly protected than other rich places

The only place with money

It was less than the era that preceded it (Migration era) for many people and less than the era that came after it (Religious wars)

Though drunks will be drunks

gold in ornaments and vaults full of gold

but why would people want to steal money? were they poor?

>that common

HOW common? Compared to the present day, every age was extremely violent.

Very nice

nyc and london 200 years ago were third world not first world

You don't know what third world means do you?

It's a pretty big thing in the bible, so i guess that was constantly on people's minds.

That's bullshit

kek'd

Are you going by the retard definition of "third world" or the real, accepted, and correct version? If the former, you're an idiot.

Interesting you brought up Stockholm, I recently went on a guided tour that talked a bit about crime there in the Middle Ages.

No it wasn't.

Crime was astronomically higher in medieval times compared to now

yeah everyone like killed everyone all the time and all the marriages were rapes and the lords killed their peasants Kim jong un style n shiet

>moron buttblasted that his shire fantasy don't real
>that strawman

Get over it

Muh bootstraps

>that spike in 2000
Gee, I wonder what could've happened that would've caused that.

please stop you retard

rape is a just a word tacked onto a bad social construct

Whats this from? those people look familiar.

>Not knowing Machiavelli wrote never to rape or to take the woman of the enemy you conquer and expect to be a vassal state or subordinate.

It is the mark of an oafish man to do so and fills the conquered with an anger that brings swift and horrible retribution.

>Mfw admire Machiavelli but also admire the Great Genghis Khan, conquered of the world who revelled in the bosom of the woman of those he conquered.

Until you were caught. Bandits rarely were bandits just because.

>Not knowing Machiavelli wrote never to rape or to take the woman of the enemy you conquer and expect to be a vassal state or subordinate.

user he wrote it because there was people doing it.

And so it will be again as it always has been.

Thousands of women will be ravaged in some part of the world always will be and it will incense the husbands/brothers/relatives of those women.

Indiscriminate, no. But folks killing each other was much more common than it is now.