Tfw 22 and scared of dying

>tfw 22 and scared of dying

Why shouldn't I be afraid to die? What if there is nothing there for me?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=CsyrOGRxF0E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No use being afraid of something that's inescapable.

Because it's not going to bother you much when you're dead. Unless you're religous I suppose.

Just remember that there are billions of humans (and animals) that have already died, and that your death will thus be nothing special.
I dunno why but I always found that very comforting - yeah I'll die but at least I'm not the only one, as morbid as that sounds. My grandparents faced it. So did their grandparents, and their grandparents, and theirs, and so on. And I'll have to face it too, just like they all did.

I took to viewing my inevitable death as a peaceful experience. You wont experience anything, and so you wont suffer or be able to lament all that you miss. You should view the time you'll miss after you've died no differently from the time before you were born.

You can't know what's going to happen. No one truly knows. Whatever it is it's not worth spending a life worrying about it.

>YOU CAN'T KNOW NUFFIN
>YOU CAN'T EVEN KNOW THAT YOU KNOW NUFFIN
>AM I BEING PROFOUND YET

Did I accidentally quote some movie cliche or something?

There's absolutely no way you can know about it. It's a meme.

Welcome to actual knowledge fucktard

He never said you can't know anything. He just said that there's no way to know about the afterlife. Which is true, as there'd be no way to possess either a-priori or empirical knowledge about it, since it is completely outside of all elements of our experience and current existence.

Take ayahuasca

Still more honest that making shit up.

>What if there is nothing there for me?
If there's nothing after death, then there's nothing to be afraid of.

And if instead there is another life after this one, then you shouldn't be afraid of that any more than you are afraid of the life you're living now.

Love the syntactical symmetry.

How do you deal with the concept of time and everything having no true beginning or end. It really is the most mind fucking thing to think about.

i wish i could think like a true chistian
>oh death where is thy victory
i think the worst part is im a believer and i fear death because i know where i would go

> tfw 22 and aren't scared of dying
Why should I afraid to die if I already dead inside.

Because it's futile, and a waste of both time and energy to be afraid of something you have on control over.

"Death is but a door, time is but a window: I'll be back."

Based Vigo

It is not in your control to prevent it. If you concern yourself with those things outside of your own will, you are wretched. If you concern yourself only with those things within your own control, you will find happiness. Therefore, do not worry yourself about death, as you will incur only anxiety and find yourself wretched.

I used to be scared of death but then I remember how enjoyable it is to fall asleep.

>Why shouldn't I be afraid to die?
You should be.

Veeky Forums here

>tfw get anxiety each time I go to sleep knowing that I might not wake up
This is basically death anxiety right? Knowing that you will not be there the next time your eyes close.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. Its just like being fearful of your time before your birth.

>fear is logical and rational controlable feeling

>sci here

>>>/reddit/

Same here, death has always scared me. And it's only made worse by the fact that I will be missing out on all the cool and interesting shit that would inevitably happen after my death and I just can't cope with it.
>tfw true VR will never be thing in your lifetime
It's just depressing desu.

Eternity is pretty scary indeed
It even manage to make the prospect of an afterlife shitty anyway

Yes, you're correct.

Not sure if you're into music but here's a good song for this m.youtube.com/watch?v=CsyrOGRxF0E
"He who fears death cannot enjoy life"

Basically death is just the other part of life so you have no more reason to fear it then you have reason to fear the sun setting, or cumming at the end of sex.

What if when you die its a never ending dream?
And what if we have already died countless times and are in a dream right now?

Please read: Then read the Enchiridion by Epictetus.

Fear is not in your control. It is an emotion.

Certainly you may try not to think about it - and factually that's what most people do, as death is pretty much a taboo subject - but OP asked whether it's fine to be afraid of death. And it certainly is.

I'm sorry that you do not have the strength of will to control yourself, but not everyone faces this problem of weak character.

Men are disturbed, not by things, but by the principlesand notions which they form concerning things. Death, for instance, isnot terrible, else it would have appeared so to Socrates. But the terrorconsists in our notion of death that it is terrible. When therefore weare hindered, or disturbed, or grieved, let us never attribute it to others,but to ourselves; that is, to our own principles. An uninstructed personwill lay the fault of his own bad condition upon others. Someone just startinginstruction will lay the fault on himself. Some who is perfectly instructedwill place blame neither on others nor on himself.

>/reddit/

it sucks, but it's still better than the idea of eternal life, I don't get how religious people find it appealing, I find the idea terrifying tbqh.

a longer life would be enough, hopefully, this can be achieved with modern medical technology, life expectancy might be prolonged to over 150 years in our lifetime.

What if ur mum fucked your uncle?
What if George bush IS a reptilian?
What if this is all some alien tv show?
What if you just focused on the things within your capacity to know and observe instead of the sea of infinite unknowns?

I was making fun you for stating that you're from Veeky Forums, as if anyone cares. You look like a child or a redditor when you say what board you usually browse. Nobody cares.

>Why shouldn't I be afraid to die?
Because it's inevitable, so what's the point in worrying about it?

I think it's more a matter of wishful thinking on your side. Most of what happens inside your head happens completely outside of your control. Your self-improvement guidebooks you waste your money on may tell you otherwise, but that's how it is.
There's a big difference between learning how to function while under stress or fear and 'not experiencing fear'. The former is something people have been doing since the dawn of time - through military drill for example. The latter on the other hand is a disorder which will vanish from existence since it gets people killed at some point. Fear is generally a good thing - it's known to keep people alive.

Good song, fuckin multilingual shit

Eternal life, eternal death...both are shit senpai
Theres no way to win at this game

You certainly try hard to rationalize your weakness. You even insult one of the most influential philosophers in history. Very nice.

Again, not everyone is as weak as you are. I'm sorry that you cannot accept that you are currently weak, because you cannot become stronger without first accepting your problem.

sorry then, I just wanted to remark that I wasn't going to propose a philosophical / religious view of death like people here use to do, but something that you can actually do.

that's why reincarnation is the best idea for an afterlife, you basically have a finite life, but an afterlife as well, it's like eating the cake and having it too.

Cool. Sorry for being a dick about it, it was a meme desu.

I think the best thing I can say is don't be afraid of dying be afraid of not living.

>You certainly try hard to rationalize your weakness.
In my opinion you seem a lot weaker to me in failing to deal with something that is completely natural and has been kept around since forever as it evolutionary benefit us.

Why attribute weakness to experiencing fear?

>You even insult one of the most influential philosophers in history. Very nice.
Authority arguments mean little. You should try to stand on your own feet.

>Death, for instance, isnot terrible, else it would have appeared so to Socrates.
How do you know how it appeared to Socrates? Socrates is a historical figure about whom we only know through others who had an interest in making him look good. Not to mention that the things we say and write may not always be what we truly feel.

I was only pointing out how far you are going to rationalize your own inability to control your own mind, not appealing to authority. "B-b-but, muh fallacy!!" means just as little.

I am very weak, indeed, I do not dispute it. However, I do not rationalize my weakness and refuse to confront it in order to better myself.

And I already told you that your whole 'mind control' ideology is esoteric nonsense.

Instead of 'bettering yourself' you should get a proper education.

That was a quote from the Enchiridion. Plato makes it quite clear in the Phaedo that Socrates did not fear death. There is no contrasting writings, so it is assumed that Plato was not being dishonest.

Not an argument.

>Plato makes it quite clear in the Phaedo that Socrates did not fear death.
And Plato had no interest in making Socrates look good?

>There is no contrasting writings, so it is assumed that Plato was not being dishonest.
Plato is not Socrates. He has no knowledge of what Socrates feels. At best he knows what Socrates tells him.

Have you read Crito or Phaedo? Assuming the documents accurately depict Socrates' words and actions, it is safe to believe he indeed did not fear death.

Of course that is an argument. I've already told you that fear is an emotion which happens outside of your consciousness - and that's a good thing, because if we needed to actively put ourself in a state of fear it would likely miss its purpose. Fear served its purpose in evolution. It keeps people from putting themselves in dangerous situations.

The idea that you could switch fear on and off is utter nonsense.

I can only emphasise that I'm not talking about learning to deal with fear through conditioning but about the emotion itself, which is experienced nonetheless - which is a good thing.

Yes, and Mohammed has talked to the Archangel Gabriel. It is written so it must be true.

The argument regarding Socrates fearing death has no purpose - I'm not wasting my time with it. At some point through history there has been a man who did not fear death, whether it was Socrates or not, and that sufficiently proves the point that Epictetus was trying to make.

"Muh evolution" isn't an argument. Just because some facet of the human experience has it's grounding in "evolutionary theory" does not mean it is virtuous or beneficial to allow it complete control over your mind. Fearing death is fearing that which is out of your control, and this provides nothing but anxiety and does not benefit you. Try, therefore, to instead focus on only those things which are within your control, and you will be happier.

So, to recap, since you like to point out fallacies:

You're strawmanning me, because I never said you can switch fear on and off.

You're appealing to science, which is a method of gaining information that is illogical, by referencing evolutionary theory as the basis for why fear exists.

You're also making a false equivalency by comparing Socrates being unafraid of death to Mohammad claiming divine intervention.

>At some point through history there has been a man who did not fear death
Perhaps there was. What you're missing however is that fearlessness carries positive connotations in many cultures and thus people are eager to adorn themselves with it, either out of vanity or if you're less cynical you might say that they possibly did it to give others courage as a more selfless reason. In that regard I'm rather doubtful whenever people claim to not be afraid of something which many people have historically been afraid of.

>"Muh evolution" isn't an argument. Just because some facet of the human experience has it's grounding in "evolutionary theory" does not mean it is virtuous or beneficial to allow it complete control over your mind.
I already told you that there's a big difference between not experiencing fear and not giving fear 'complete control over your mind'. See what I wrote in .

>I can only emphasise that I'm not talking about learning to deal with fear through conditioning but about the emotion itself, which is experienced nonetheless - which is a good thing.

So clearly you either didn't read attentively.

>Fearing death is fearing that which is out of your control
No. That abstraction does not work here. Fearing things out of your control is tied to the fear of death at some subconscious level but there is no real equivalence. The result of a coin-toss is outside of your control too - yet few people would fear it. If their lives depended on it, things would be quite different.

>therefore, to instead focus on only those things which are within your control, and you will be happier.
That is a good advice. There's a big difference between not focussing on things outside of your control and letting them influence you and denying that they can affect your mental state if you concern yourself with them.

See .

Why is saying that death is out of your control an abstraction that "doesn't work"?

Death is out of your control. Do you disagree? Do you believe you can make choices that lead to immortality? Because, if so, I would like to know what these choices are.

I believe you misinterpreted me. I was saying that death is under the category of "out of your control" - not that fearing it means you fear all things out of your control.

You said:

And I told you that this equivalence does not work because fearing death is not the same as fearing that which is outside of your control simply because other things outside of your control are not feared in the same manner - and I've given you a counter-example. Fearing death might be related to the fear of things outside of your control, but it is not the 'same'.

Read

That might as well be the case, but that still doesn't make fearing death the same as fearing things outside of your control.

Eating a dog is that which is eating an animal.

I don't think that I was semantically or syntactically approaching how you interpreted what I said.

As a third party observer who has followed this thread I gotta say that this is a decisive checkmate.
Although I am such a man that does not fear death and I would say that Socrates was more interested in putting forth the best philosophy and might have in that vain hid/denied any fear he had of death even from himself

???

Death is out of your control. If you fear death, you fear something outside of your own choices.

X is {not a choice} (Y)
Therefore, fearing X means you fear Y

>decisive checkmate
>on the issue that didn't even matter and that wasn't being discussed

Now I'm actually mad.

You literally said:

{ Fearing death } = { fearing that which is out of your control } = { x | x is outside of your control } = { coin tosses, meteor strikes, winning the lottery, ... }

In any case, you're debating semantics now which is rather pointless in my opinion.

If we're generally in agreement that fear itself is something you cannot directly control but only your conscious reaction towards it or your indirect reaction through conditioning, then we might as well end the discussion here.

That's literally what I've been saying this entire time, friend.

You're going to die regardless, might has well live life to the fullest. Even if it's sitting in your basement, jacking off 4 times a day (i really don't know how you guys do that, I barely manage on two a day) and playing video games until you eventually die of a hear attack or lack of vitamin D.

Don't fear death, embrace it and walk along-side it. Then great it as an old friend when he will eventually take you.

To where? I have no idea, the cunt won't tell me.

>I'm glad we're in agreement and have been arguing semantics this entire time.
It happens more often than not.

I hope op can learn from reading the rather drawn out and somewhat pointless arguement/agreement that these two anons had about the ultimate futility of resistance to death and inevitable. I believe it was laozi that said something along the lines of "you must yield to overcome" I believe frankly that studying any craft extensively will teach you this. Carpentry teaches to go with the grain. Playing the drums teaches you to work with the elasticity of the heads and the rebounding of the sticks, chess teaches you to let your opponent make a foolish mistake, etc. in this manner you must accept death, as an inevitable step in life

>What if there is nothing there for me?

That is extremely likely, but what of it? You don't need to wait for anything because you're brain won't function so you won't have any consciousness or awareness. In effect, one should view the moment of death as the end.

But what's frightening about this? After all, you've only been conscious for an extremely brief span of years, compared to the length of recorded history (to say nothing of the vastness of geologic or cosmic time). Assuming you're in your early 20s like most on this site, shouldn't a length of remaining time approximately twice that of what you've already experienced be more than enough? After all, life is so difficult and full of suffering, that is something of a relief to know that it will enventually end and your consciousness will cease to be.

inb4 le hat tipping man

Having a girlfriend or a religious belief makes you fear death less