What's a good History and/or Philosophy podcast I can listen to?

What's a good History and/or Philosophy podcast I can listen to?

Other urls found in this thread:

historyofphilosophy.net/
heritagepodcast.com/
swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?113535-Historical-and-practical-evidence-for-European-Sword-Sharpness
historyonfirepodcast.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

history of rome before all else

Bumping out of interest.

Are you swedish? I have one for you then

I'm Norwegian so if it's in Swedish I could probably understand it.

>guy cuts through a thick man with a sword

I'm sick of this pandering shit

I started following this one earlier this year, seems good.
historyofphilosophy.net/

All rigth, its called “Historiepoden” and is held by two historyteachers”. They discuss everything between the epics of Gilgamesh and the Suffragettes

History of philosophy without any gaps is decent

Done by a professor and regular academics as guests

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is great. I liked Prophets of Doom.

Very good and humorous:

heritagepodcast.com/

Fact. Starts out slow, but he gets his legs pretty soon. You could always skip ahead.

Revolutions by the same guy is pretty good. France and Haiti are top tier.

Partially examined life for philosophy. and In our time for history. Thank me later.

That's not a katana in the gif

History of the Crusades is bretty gud

Anything on Pacific history such as the native Hawaiians/Maori/Polynesians?

>Partially examined life for philosophy.

This, still beats all comers even though they've started doing a lot of shite (I truly couldn't give a fuck about Mark Linsenmeyer's shitty music, for example) and made it a bit harder to get at for free.

Tried You Are Not So Smart, turns out I apparently am, literally nothing I'm not already hugely familiar with to the point where it leaves out stuff I think is important and I get frustrated because it prompts to me think I could literally do at least as well. Tried You Have It All Wrong, got frustrated by their inability to stay on topic even though they seem like OK guys.

Very Bad Wizards is pretty decent, tends more to deal with psychology and is a bit bantsy, but in a good way. They rip holy fuck out of the trolley problem and related stuff. For a while they were threatening to just turn into some pop-culture review shit but they seem to have recognised the problem and taken steps to correct.

Bar none, the only good philosophy podcast out there. Peter Adamson knows his shit. The format really helps you understand philosophers' ideas because they're looked at in the content of their time and who they're responding to.

>sword cuts at all
swords were blunt back then and were used to fucking break bones

>Long story short, a historically accurate lenticular apple-seed shaped edge having around 28° bevel angle, as observed on originals, would be robust enough to withstand the rigors of use of a Medieval battlefield, be sharp enough to cut, slice and thrust and safe enough for half-swording. There is no need for a sword having literal razor sharpness to cut, slice and stab through human bodies, bones, wooden poles, padded jacks and hardened leather - that kind of sentiment clearly comes from Japanese sword hype and movies. The question, whether European Medieval sword were sharp or not, can now be answered with YES, they were. Historical, archaeological and forensic evidence tell us so. The idea of "blunt swords used like crowbars for breaking bones" is a nice and romantic one, but sadly it's completely ureal.

swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?113535-Historical-and-practical-evidence-for-European-Sword-Sharpness

Hardcore History by Dan Carlin

>listening to Tardcore Historical Fiction

He cites and quotes a lot of primary sources and generally acknowledges when he's getting into opinion-based stuff.

well ya got me
I'll still keep dull swords used to fucking smash infidels over the head with as my headcanon

Using primary sources doesn't mean it's good.

Dan Carlin is notoriously bad about presenting out-of-date history that lacks any sort of consideration of new research or historiography.

I listened to part of his WWI series, but I loathed his melodramatic style and his assumption of the almost total ignorance of his audience. In tone, it is what I imagine listening to a right-wing internet radio station would sound like.

The History of Rome and Revolutions series are great.

He's not a practicing historian working to academic standards, no. Nor does he pretend to be and it's silly to hold him to that standard.

Partially Examined Life is alright

You're right, that's why It's silly to waste your time with him if you're actually interested in the topics he covers.

>seriously you guys, if you transcribed these podcasts and ran them through a citation generator and submitted it as your thesis, you probably wouldn't graduate

Imagine that being said in a really high, effeminate voice with appropriate lisps. That's you. That's what you're like. That's how other people think of you.

Dan Carlin is on the same level as those craptastic "documentaries" run on the History Channel.

If you want to not understand history and get a completely wrong image of historical events, then sure go for it.

Stop sperging out, his podcast is fine for people that aren't actually studying the subjects he presents.

No need to settle for mediocre pop history in the [current year] when really interesting stuff is more accessible than ever.

Neither is there any need to settle for the Veeky Forums history board when there are literal academic message boards perfectly accessible elsewhere, now fuck off you tryhard cunt, nobody's impressed nor ever will be.

>filename

historyonfirepodcast.com/
I like this

Your favourite shitty podcaster is not above criticism.

Fuck off you tryhard cunt, nobody's impressed nor ever will be.