What percentage of present day Americans are lineal descendants of members of the American Revolution?

What percentage of present day Americans are lineal descendants of members of the American Revolution?
Intuitively I feel it will be quite high due to branching of ancestors.

Have a relative whom served under Nathaniel Greene. With a second relative who served under Anthony Wayne.

It is not as much as you'd think because since the 3 mass waves of immigration (1840s, 1880s, & 1900s) most people are decendants of Irish immigrants whom escaped the potato famine, Italian descendants who were leaving Italy because of a slow economy, French and German descendants whom were escaping the consistent wars between the two.

I still find it funny that British citizens didn't immigrate as much to America as I originally thought.

My family name comes from a Hessian who defected to the Americans. Good thing for me he liked the idea of having his own farm.

Even with those later immigration by now won't they have likely joined a line descended from revolution?
Just four back and you already have 16 ancestors.

They never immigrated because doing so would be an admission that America is better than Britain, and they're too butthurt to admit that
>isolated colony defeats the most powerful military on Earth
>"w-we didn't want it anyway"
>a second war is fought
>the colony wins again, despite not having French support
>"they didn't win, we did because we burned down the White House"
>they fight a civil war to end slavery using some of the most sophisticated military technology available at the time, revolutionizing military tactics as a direct result
>"ha, savages. we're morally superior, we outlawed slavery peacefully"
>they steadily grow in wealth and influence
>they continue to ignore them and consider themselves superior
>world war 1 begins
>despite a massive advantage in terms of manpower and resources they're somehow put in a position where losing is a real possibility
>America comes in
>Germany gets curbstomped thanks in part to the fact that they didn't stick to outdated Napoleonic-era tactics due to their experiences in their Civil War
>Brits somehow still consider themselves superior
>world war 2 begins
>home islands blockaded
>America sends supplies and weapons to replace those lost during the botched defense of France
>Brits are literally begging America for direct support (see final line of "we will fight on the beaches" speech)
>they send classified technology to America for free
>Pearl Harbor happens
>Britain declares war on Japan before America does because they're that desperate for help
>America wins the war
>the Allies win thanks in large part to American industry and manpower
>America sends trillions of dollars to help Europe rebuild
>replaces Britain as a major world power
>Brits still, to this day, think they are as powerful and relevant as America
>they still think to this day that they're morally and culturally superior despite getting completely BTFO by America twice and getting their asses saved by America twice

Not a lot. First of all, blacks don't count even though most of their European ancestry is colonial. Second, America received a shitload of European immigrants and mixed with the so the population that is at least half colonial is really small. Of course you'll find more Americans if you lower the threshold to 1/4 or 1/8 colonial but that would defeat the meaning of colonial.

We have a handwritten family tree that goes back to the 1600s

There are a LOT of men who are listed as "killed by Indians"

What do you mean by half colonial?
I meant lineal decedents which is used by organizations such as sons and daughters of american revolution.
>a blood relative in the direct line of descent - the children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. of a person.

This puts a lot of things into perspective.

That's just period argot for "raped to death by bears."

Ok, I maybe patriotic as fuck and want the America boner to be seriously real but guy, c'mon.

After 1778, Washington knew that he didn't have to win. Just not lose. A war of attrition against the British was the best choice of action and also The British were not the Strongest in the World at the moment. GB was stretched pretty thin and was in the middle of reorganizing its military force.

The War of 1812 was fought to a stalemate but moreover they kicked our ass for the most part. Even so they were more busy fighting France then the US. This is why a majority of their troops where Expeditionary Forces and Canadian.

Again as much as I'd like to be full on Freedom boner I have to be honest with history.

Ignore the bait lads. Just ignore it.

Mate. OP's question was asking how many Americans living today can claim to have at least one ancestor who lived in america at the time of independence. Most blacks, Irish, Italians descendants etc. will satisfy this condition due to intermarrying and such(slave owner jungle fever).

My family fought for the British. Fuck you, you traitors.

>civil war was about slavery

Most of what you said is completely and totLally incorrect and it bothers me you are spreading this disinformation to suck America's dick.

I'd imagine 30%~ tops. Most are Europian general immigrants from 1790~-1950s

Not me, my family came here because they were kulaks who did not understand Tito's genius.

I have no real idea on what a reasonable figure is.
I suppose if parents etc stick to cultural group you won't pick up revolutionary ancestor.

salty Brit detected
did you know that fish and chips isn't actually British? it was straight up invented by ashkenazi Jews
your food is so revolting that even the people responsible for gefilte fish can do better

update, it was actually Sephardic Jews
Brits still suck

Britain was not the most powerful military on earth in the 1770s and 80s - not even until after 1815, over thirty years later. I realize this always gets jumbled up and gives Americans an extra-large freedom boner, but it really is objective fact. The British army was still recuperating from the Seven Years War, which had only ended a decade and a half prior. That was no landslide victory for them.

Also the War of 1812 the British did most certainly win, considering that it was formally started by the Americans who intended to take the two Upper and Lower Canada provinces (today's Quebec and Ontario, essentially). Naturally the Americans did not do this, and thus completely failed such an objective. Don't kid yourself by saying HUR DUR SAILOR IMPRESSMENT was the reason, because it was a bullshit reason - the same "Iraq has WMDs" reason - something to propagate your end goal but which is completely irrelevant to what you actually want. The Americans of that era believed that the Loyalists in Canada would welcome them as liberators with open arms, and they were sadly mistaken. Also considering how hastily rushed your peace talks at the end of the war were, really goes to show the American government knew they were inbound for a good ass fucking by the British Napoleonic Veterans. You didn't win the war, and if anything, you kind of did lose. Your casualty rate was also significantly higher in % than Canada/Britain's.

this.

>Again as much as I'd like to be full on Freedom boner I have to be honest with history.

And this is why Veeky Forums is a good board.

I have family that was here during the Revolution. Couldn't say if they fought or not.

I'd go to war to stop people from getting impressed, even if it was only a few dozen sailors. Literally kidnapping American citizens to fight in shitty European wars is fucking bullshit.

Well you won in the end. White Americans are doing better than ever while Natives have to live on shitty reservation land, drinking cheap liquor and smoking meth, and killing themselves and each other.

Niggers don't count. You don't include your bastards in the line of succession.

What does that have to do with question?

They may have been Americans by citizenship, but to my knowledge, many of those whom were impressed had been Royal Navy sailors beforehand.

>I'd go to war to stop people from getting impressed
Lmao. Yeah. I'm sure you would.

>to fight in shitty European wars
You mean massive wars to prevent a takeover of the entirety of Europe? A few obese Americans in the navy of one nation sounds like a good deal to me.

>lineal descendants
As opposed to non-lineal descendants?

why are americans so fucking focused on their lineage ?

simple answer insecurety

muuuh my country so you I no culture I insecure I call myself 1/8th irish now I culture.

fucking monkeys

Do you even know how many sailors were impressed? Do you even know how many ships were stolen? If you did you would understand that it is a totally justifiable reason to go to war. Taking Canada was the their last reason for starting the war if it even was one.

I see one figure that says 6,000, but with history the first thing you learn is to never take anything for exact fact. So we can give or take that number. Surely I won't deny that's not a lot, but you're a fool sincerely if you think that "taking Canada was the their last reason for starting the war if it even was one."

Why wouldn't it be? It was their main fucking objective of the war! That's indisputable and objective fact, as I already wrote prior with . If that wasn't at all a reason, please do explain to me why the period of Manifest Destiny to the west began exactly after the War of 1812. Please, go on.

You should stop using "whom"

it didn't help that I was having a side conversation and used "whom" several times during. The "m" must have slipped out as a form of "autopilot."

>It is not as much as you'd think because since the 3 mass waves of immigration (1840s, 1880s, & 1900s) most people are decendants of Irish immigrants whom escaped the potato famine, Italian descendants who were leaving Italy because of a slow economy, French and German descendants whom were escaping the consistent wars between the two.

In order the 3 largest subgroups of white Americans is German (15.2 %), Irish ( 10.8 %), English (8.7 %) . Fourth place goes to 'American' ( 7.2 %) , which is people have been here so long they feel that this is their native lands. Most of those people have family roots dating to before the 1820s. US had a deeply troubled economy then and was not a good place to move to till the mid 1830s. Most Europeans going to north American then moved to Canada or the Mexican colony of Texas. However they do not necessarily know were they are from before that.

You could guess that those with ancestors here around the right time would be something like a little under 17.6 % ( English + Scottish +'American' ) but it would likely be higher then that. There was a limited number of Irish here before the American Revolution and there was a fair number of Germans here also. Because of branching of ancestors and members of the right Ethnic groups been here to mix with the new comers the end percentage of modern Americans inside those groups with ancestors here at the time of American Revolution could be rather high.

However the numbers of those who were part of the revolution during that time would be rather low. What most people do not tell students about the Revolution is most of the those who joined militia, the army, or pirated in the name of freedom were either rather poor or rather rich. The poor could get food and I.O.U's and the rich could just eat a season of financial lost. Those of rather modest means could not really leave their place of business for to long without losing what they had.

Having said all that I have 5 ancestors who served in during the American Revolution.

Don't bring your baggage into thread.

>muuuh my country so you I no culture I insecure I call myself 1/8th irish now I culture.

You have no idea just how long may of transplant cultures took to mostly assimilate after coming over do you?

Lets take central Texas as a example. There was settlements that were founded during the republic era ( 1836–1846 ) by various groups of German, Czechs, and Poles. Those settlements did not stop using their original langues inside their community more then English till the 1960s. That is part of the reason why Texas had a great many POW camps during WW2: local sources of guards who spoke German. Turns out the guards were not really needed and most of the prisoners were well behaved in order to get day jobs outside the camps. There was not really a language barrier so they ended up doing all kinds of jobs.

Even now days it is easy to find cultural left overs of central European peoples in Texas including ethnic dance halls and nice German food. Heck most local Texas beer brands have their flagship products be various types of south German styles.

And it's for this reason that German-Irish is the most common ethnicity in burgerland.

Not sure about%.
But I am a descendent, since my great-grandmother, whom I knew as a child, was a member of the DAR.

my earliest ancestor to come here on my dads side came in sometimes in the 1600s, so its very likely they played some part in the war, but im not sure what

I'm a descendant of Josiah Bartlett, second signer of the Declaration of Independence.

My father's father's father (etc.) was a captain in the Revolutionary War. Too bad he got captured. One of his sons was killed in the war (against the Shawnee and Brits along the frontier), and the other (also my father's father's father's father's...) was an administrator for a patriot militia.

Bretty neat.

Someone in my father's side died at Bunker Hill, I've been told. As his family has been living in New York since then, I'm fairly certain he was on the side of the Revolutionaries.

>second

tfw

west wing fag detected

Mainly because immigrating to America, there wasn't a clearly defined culture. The immigrants brought their old heritage across the sea and found strength in a common ancestry, whether it's Greektown, the Italian district, or Mexicantown. As a number of the immigrants didn't know English, they had to rely on these communities to find their place in this new society. Thus, they built pride in their individual nationality, the Irish dug the Saint Lawrence Seaway for payments of whiskey (IIRC), the Chinese lined the trainlines of the west, and the Blacks found themselves in the agriculture of their fathers'.
Now I'm not even addressing your point, but I like what I've written so I'm going to just leave it and try my best to actually address your point, but fairly poorly.
Take pride in one's culture, the hatreds conjured from a history across the Atlantic, and now cram yourself within a newly growing Industrial world.
While Europeans are often the same nationality of their residence, Americans still see themselves as immigrants who make up the melting pot that contributes towards the amalgamation of American society. While they think this lends them credibility back in the home country, it doesn't, but who doesn't say they're Irish on Saint Patty's day for a discount on beer?

You can find it interesting without turning it into some part of your identity.

If 6000 is accurate it's not really a small number. According to one figure I saw the ENTIRE British Navy's manpower during the Napoleonic Wars amount to about 140,000 men, so 6000 men would be just over a full 4%. 4 % OF THE ENTIRE NAVY. That's a pretty significant number.

Especially when you consider the entire US Navy at the time was only 22 ships. The civilian sailors impressed were possibly more numerous than the entire American Navy!

>intentionally drawing like ZUN
for what purpose?

>isolated colony defeats the most powerful military on Earth

Yes, America defeated Britain but Britain wasn't anywhere near "the most powerful military on earth"

>the colony wins again, despite not having French support

The War of 1812 was a stalemate, How do you chalk it up to a win for America?

>world war 1 begins

>despite a massive advantage in terms of manpower and resources they're somehow put in a position where losing is a real possibility

Britain was famous for having a small colonial army as opposed to Germany and France which had massive armies.

>Germany gets curbstomped thanks in part to the fact that they didn't stick to outdated Napoleonic-era tactics due to their experiences in their Civil War

You what? The Civil War was in the 1860s and still used Napoleonic tactics. And you saying that America won because of their "superior tactics" implies that the Entante and the Central Powers were using napoleonic era tactics until the USA showed up. Germany France and the UK only used old tactics at the start and stopped using older tactics after the first year.

Everything after that is true though.

You're right, it was about states right to own slaves.

Less than you'd think.

I have a grandfather who fought in the Revolution when he was in his 70s though.

Lol. Muh hurritage is real.

Nah, kidnapping and forced enlistment in a foreign military isn't gonna be justified no matter how hard you try to make it so.

Not him, but you picked the worst possible response if you were trying to look like the educated party here.

It's sorta charming.

Retard

Retard.

Britain was already at war with japan before pearl harbour even happend.

Doesn't look to bad desu

m