>Post what comes to mind when people mention "the war"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pw3e64sosEg
youtube.com/watch?v=bX7V6FAoTLc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_invasion_of_Panama
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Days'_War
youtube.com/watch?v=gxFGhQsaSwI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Born in Galway, raised midlands about Dublin.

What comes to mind? My grandfathers brother getting shot in Northern Ireland by proddys.

US of A.

Probably that one in Afghanistan that's been going on for 15 years.

Mostly it depends on context and how old the person is.

Ancient: WWI
Really old: WWII
Old: Korea
60's-70's: Vietnam
40's-50's: Gulf War
Younger: Iraq and Afghanistan

Frisia

Friso-Hollandic Wars: Hollanders, as they are called, are filthy and cannot be touched (also worship money).

From this day to the day of today we (Frisians but also other Northerners) are still opressed and all the money flows to the "randstad". It saddens me.

:(

Spain.

In most contexts, the spanish civil war.

You posted this exact same thread, not exactly word for word but with the same picture and everything a while ago.

And the troubles.

Yup, that was me for these threads, dunno about troubles one. I just use that pic because it's one of the first in my folder. I just find this interesting.

>Sweden
>War??? I don't recall any war

youtube.com/watch?v=pw3e64sosEg

Chile
Death and meaning

The Netherlands
Either the Dutch Revolution, WW2, or the 'police actions' in Indonesia after WW2.
Depends on context, mostly.

hungary
Nothing

Scotland/UK

WW2

>USA
>Which war you fucking idiot? We've been in several within living memory. You can't just say "the war" and expect me to know which you're talking about.

There are no surviving American WW1 veterans

The Philippines.

WW2. It was really bad, to say the least.

American, disagree. Most people equate 'THE war' with WW2. That's how it is in documentaries 'after the war' or with my parents '____ happened to grampa in the war'.

that said, nobody really uses the phrase 'the war' because we have so many lol

True, but there are surviving people who lived through it. America's oldest women just died last week; she was born in 1899.

>Filipinos lost an irreplaceable cultural and historical treasure in the resulting carnage and devastation of Manila, remembered today as a national tragedy. Countless government buildings, universities and colleges, convents, monasteries and churches, and their accompanying treasures dating to the founding of the city, were ruined. The cultural patrimony (including art, literature, and especially architecture) of the Orient's first truly international melting pot - the confluence of Spanish, American and Asian cultures - was eviscerated. Manila, once touted as the "Pearl of the Orient" and famed as a living monument to the meeting of Asian and European cultures, was virtually wiped out.

Damn, no wonder Flips have a national inferiority complex today.

Canuck here,
Afghanistan, iraq (a few Canadians were there either officially or just snuck across the border) and I have had the honor to meet guys who went to Bosnia. And for a long time ignored, cuz this country sucks.
Although Korea and ww2 around my family. Grandfather went to both. Still refuses to talk about it.

Was actually thinking the same thing, although in modern context I think it just means "them boys dicking around in the sand"

US
If you just mention "the war" without any context most people will assume you're talking about the series of wars in the middle east Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

WW2 veterans will sometimes think about WW2, but most will still assume you're talking about the middle east.

The Korean war and the Gulf war are basically gone from collective memory and Vietnam is seen as failed foreign policy rather than a "real" war.

>USA

>Portugal

Colonial War

Any time that we fought the limey tan hun pricks

>during the war

Legitimate British people remember a sailors rambling tales from Only Fools and Horses. Its like grandpa in the Simpsons.

you probably mean
war??
oh yeah the one where lots of juice died

Germany
WW2

Norway
WW2

We were in Afghanistan as well, but it didn't affect our society in any radical way.

Australia
WW1

>Muh peninsula

canada
ww2

Yeah, well, where you from? Let's have a pissing contest shall we?

>Somalia

Those two clans down the street fighting over a well.

I won't go head to head in a banting contest with an aussie. Sorry bro.

Belgium
WWI

Germany
Southern Germany to be specific.

The quilt of 2 world wars they try to force onto us.
>even though we didnt start the first one and ww2 was 70years ago

I will never feel quilty for something I havent done. I wasnt even born back then.

Turkey

WWI
Turkish War of Independence

Turkey :^)

Kill yourself Germ

Aussie

The war is usually a world war or vietnam depending on the person's age. Though my mum refers to the Irish war of Independence and Civil war as the war, because she's a paddy

USA

When people mention the war I think of
youtube.com/watch?v=bX7V6FAoTLc

Croatia
Homeland War 1991-1995

You are the same person. You always post that picture. No one fucking cares about your Irish bullshit

>Post where you're from
Italy
>Post what comes to mind when people mention the war
Shame

>germany
>1939 - 1945 when mentioning "the war"

Pakistan.

War against TTP or India.

/a/

Lucky Star vs Gurren Lagan

American. Probably Afghanistan, unless it's old people, then it's Nam.

Romania
Definitely WW2

Don't blame him. Korea and WW2 were fucking nasty. I heard a couple of horror-war stories from my dad who heard them from my great uncle who died before I was born.

WITNESSED

Mexican revolution

Canada.
First or Second World War, but depends on context obviously.

Chile
War of the Pacific

Either Operation Just Cause that toppled Noriega's regime or the Thousand Days' War that fucked Colombia and the Panamanian department greatly, which led to our independence thanks to US assistance.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_invasion_of_Panama
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Days'_War

How do Panamanians feel about Just Cause?

We had no love for Noriega and almost everyone knew the US was going to soon intervene. Sure we also hated the Americans for the Panama Canal Zone disputes but Noriega's army kept shitting on us.

Colombia.

our internal conflict with marxist guerrillas, rogue paramilitary forces and drug cartels.

Brazil
WWII since war never reached most living people here. Even the military coup and the transition back to a presidental republic were peaceful. For Brazilian terms, at least.

Uruguay. Last was civil war in 1904 I think
The 60s conflict was technically a war but people donĀ“t call it that way

Finland.
The Winter/Continuation War probably.

USA, I live in Maine.
"The war" usually refers to Vietnam and to a lesser extent, Desert Storm. Maine has an aging population

Hollander here. We really never think about you.

Portugal

usually the colonial war
If we're talking about really older people, its probably about the spanish civil war

Portugal
Portuguese colonial war/Ultramar

I agree with this, but most recently on our minds is the axiom "war on terror". I think this shadow war, with extremists and the prejudices it causes within ourselves (and the inconveniences in security!) is most on Americans' minds.

I'm sorry bro, I hate randstad too.

t. Overijssel

Miami
Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns.

South Florida has always been comfy. And no one outside the internet knows history here.

Singapore.
WWII.

We're still so butthurt over it that Feb 15th, the day the the British surrendered to the Japanese, is called "Total Defense Day" and is commemorated annually.

user that war only happened because the Hollanders did not want to join us a second or third time.

>Hollanders, as they are called, are filthy and cannot be touched (also worship money).
This doesn't make any sense, Holland used to be a part of Frisia

>From this day to the day of today we (Frisians but also other Northerners) are still opressed and all the money flows to the "randstad". It saddens me.

Same people, different government.
It does not matter.

Israel

Context is important. If talking about European/global history (including Jewish history) then always WW2. If talking about Middle Eastern/Israeli history then can be either the 1948 War of Independence or the Six Day War, usually the latter but not always.

Pic related came to mind first, honestly. I read so much history, I don't have a single "the war".

Crocodile islands

The war against poverty.

South Africa

It depends on who says it. I either think of WW2 or Angola

NL
weeweetoo

Spain

Hunger and silly hats

Brazil

Well prepared and disciplined soldiers with horrible guns.

>Germany
>which one do you think?

New Zealand - WW1

whenever anyone mentions "the war" l think about the ANZACS more often than not

This

Interdasting thread OP

I was reading about the spirit of AZNAC the other day.

Seemed like Australians were very down to earth at that time and the camaraderie was very strong. These days, the Australians I have met give me the impression that they are stuck up, individualistic and spoiled. What happend? They just had it too good for too long? I should note that I have never been to Australia, so my opinion is formed only by Australians I have met abroad, does that change anything? Most Americans I meet abroad I find insufferable, but the ones inside America are probably the nicest people I have ever met.

Hollanders diverged from Frisians long ago

Britbong, Iraq. Probably because Chilcot is in the news again.

I think of the Civil War. Am I immortal?

Czechia
WW2

American media and neoliberal market reforms happened.

>Switzerland
>nothing comes to mind whatsoever

Chile

WWII

Russia
Great Patriotic war, aka Eastern front ww2 1941-1945

I'm from Mexico, I think people will probably think of either shit like Iraq and Afghanistan, or like the Mexican Independence, or the Mexican Revolution

France
Either the Algerian War or the second World War

> Sweden
> Ah yes, World War 2
youtube.com/watch?v=gxFGhQsaSwI

If you live in the western world and you didn't say WWII you're lying

There aren't any at all left right? I seem to recall some anzac was the last one and he died a little while ago, a year maybe.

> Ecuador

Either the 1995 Cenepa War with Peru or Colombia's war with narcotic mules. In either case no one likes to talk about it because we lost in both.

Russia

WW2, easy

>mfw my grandmother hated Sweden for her entire life because they were neutral
>mfw she passed down this hatred to my mother, who couldn't help but mock Swedish people whenever she got the chance
>mfw I carry on the family tradition

;_;

A FUCKING LEAF
WWII

Those who participated in WWI are almost all dead and immigrants do not give a shit about it. (Which is not that big of a deal to me desu).

'Murika

Afghanistan

>Portugal

Colonial War