Why is streetwear the way it is?

A lot of the streetwear aesthetics I find legitimately enjoyable (jackets layered with hoodies, tapered pants, relatively minimalistic shoes) but over the past year or so I've noticed it become a complete circlejerk of retarded rich teenagers who have no understanding of aesthetics outside of matching brands such as Supreme and Bape.

What happened? Is it Kanye's fault? The instagram pages? PacSun? All 3?

>ver the past year or so I've noticed it become a complete circlejerk of retarded rich teenagers who have no understanding of aesthetics outside of matching brands such as Supreme and Bape
your view has changed

>relatively minimalistic shoes
What streetwear were you looking at?

probably
a lot of the shoes they've been hyping up recently, like NMDs and Ultra Boosts for example

its because streetwear is for children

because streetwear is all about showing off to other people

>be 20
>too old for printed shirts and jeans and
>too young for dress shoes/pantsshirts/coats

what do u expect me to wear

dude just b urself lmao

Western streetwear is about imitating rappers who are wealthy and like to use iconic brands or items to appear current and aware of whats 'cool'. The result of this is a massive circlejerk around a couple of specific brands and collections, like you describe, for example Supreme or Fear of God. Supreme is just an iconic thing from New York where a bunch of rappers seem to come from and is easy to recognize by its iconic logo. Fear of God copies rock-n-roll styles from the past century and ''''''''''''''''''''updates'''''''''''''''''' them into a hideous mess that, despite explicit branding, uses the type of distressing as a sort of implicit branding. An example of the collections would be the SS16 Gosha collection as it contained simple t-shirts or hoodies with a screen printed picture on them that were readily available from a wide range of online retailers and easy to match with other items, being devoid of particular 'difficult' design elements or colours. All in all, it's about imitation.

Asian (by which I mean Japanese, Hong Kong etc but I've seen Vietnamese too) streetwear is much quieter. Streetwear over there seems to mean clothes that you wear in casual environments - the original meaning - rather than clothing you wear to show up with trends you are and which black person you worship the most. Wtaps, Neighbourhood etc have a very simple image that doesn't modify itself excessively. I know more about Wtaps, so speaking about them, they seem to stick to the same military style and have done so throughout all their years. Their tshirts seem to follow the same formula which is simple and effective - in that regard, its much like wearing a supreme box logo tshirt, just without the association with american teenagers.

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about the brands I covered in my post (sans Fear of God), but when people mash them together without thought like the example in your OP pic, then you start to see some issues.

bape is dope i started wearing it ironically but now i love it i can't cop enough
hoping i can cop the bape nmds HNNNNG

you mean no clothes at all?

This guy fucks. Everyone is biting off the same style and claiming that other styles are "overplayed', but those streetwear fags all look the same.

youre 20 wtf makes you think youre too old for graphic tees and jeans?

Makes me feel foolish. I like to wear a nice watch too

i guess youll just have to stick with lemaire-core then. unless youre a turbo manlet that is

it's the same shit
get off your high horse you dumb fuck
you can pretend to feel superior to your western peer baka gajins all you want but at the end of the day you are wearing the same thing to everyone else

>unless youre a turbo manlet that is
>tfw 5'9"

It is okay, life would be too easy if I was tall, God put this obstacle in front of me for a reason

i was thinking more like 5'7 and below

dont give up just yet user

>>too young for dress shoes/pantsshirts/coats
no youre not

a lil neckbeardy but i agree
this same guy always wants to claim the asian glorification card and play the "logical unbiased opinion" role without actually understanding the differences between the two
>hurr durr streetwear is what you wear on the street
>hurr japanese/asian streetwear is just streetwear but in asia
>i have never looked at western streetwear inspo and asian streetwear inspo and realised the massive difference
end yourself dude

I acknowledged in my post that the two are alike. Its the end user and the marketers that ruin western.

Streetwear is a broad-ass term. OP is just talking about hypebeasts. Most of this board is streetwear shit.

>Its the end user and the marketers that ruin western
why do you care so much what other people like?

Is this literally your first day on this board ?

>Streetwear is a broad ass term

No it isn't.

Yeah, it really is. If you think streetwear just means Bape, Supreme, and Air Jordans, then you're a fucking retard.

ok first off - people have been mixing Supreme and Bape since the bapetalk days... even the ISS forum days of at least 10+ years ago. this is not a new or recent development. Supreme and Bape have both been more or less very relevant with consistent hype since the early 2000s.

popular streetwear as we know it today starts with people in the eye of social media: rappers, (internet or real-life) celebrities, stylists and designers ... basically any person who has influence over a lot of people and shares photos of their style and clothing choices. New individuals become trendy and amass a following from the cosign of a given current relevant individual, and so the cycle goes on.

whatever these people wear become hyped via their exposure. consider the "Kanye effect" where people follow his every move in fashion simply because he is famous, therefore keeping Kanye's style relevant in the public eye. Kanye's style has been publicized, hyped, and ripped off by fast fashion since forever. He is the reason why Vetements gained the traction it did, why the Adidas boost sneaker craze started in the first place, why names like Jerry Lorenzo and Virgil Abloh are known, and of course, why Yeezy as a brand is such a powerhouse.

as for the specific items that become popular, their desirability can be attributed to a few different key characteristics. either the item is rare or very limited in production and not immediately obtainable (e.g. supreme box logo t's or yeezy boost sneakers), the item is very expensive, showy or easily identifiable, and not affordable for the average person (e.g. fear of god or givenchy) or the item is a classic statement item that many people can readily afford and so a lot of people can participate in the trend (e.g. checkerboard vans or stan smiths.)

in any case, the item is presented in a desirable manner ("flexed for the gram", if you will) and thus a trend is born. If an item has an endorsement from a popular, trendy individual, then other trendy, "cutting-edge people rush to ride the wave as soon as possible. the more people that do this the more the internet saturates and buzzes with these items and the more desirable they become, and even the more casual fashion-minded individuals start to feel the need to participate in order to not be left out. in this age of the internet where everyone's lives are filled with materialistic desires and the need to holistically appear better and more impressive than their peers, exclusive, name brand clothing is an easy way to show off.

however, the popularity of the internet brings a much easier instant gratification to clothing that may not have been so strong even a few years ago. you no longer need to know, understand, or be personally in anything about the brand you're buying in order to purchase it. "rare" and "desirable" items are now easier than ever to obtain thanks to the myriad of shopping and reselling services around the internet, not to mention the fact that many buy and sell directly over social media accounts.

Bape is loud and easily distinguishable. Supreme has an iconic logo that they gratuitously plaster over many of the items they produce. both are expensive and relatively difficult to obtain, and many people know that. and that's all that kids need to know these days.

why did the person take that photo in the OP? because that shit costs money. and you know it. even if you don't like it.

because the end user ultimately influences the market
they want noticeably garish garbage with a big pricetag so they receive it
"western streetwear" isnt a broad-ass term
streetwear in itself literally means nothing as "clothes you wear on the street" means almost everything
>insert argument about semantics and ignorance of any of the points and subsequent contrarian asian-bashing

FOG makes good stuff but it's all the fat Yeezy wearing Hypebeasts that want to be Kanye ruin it for me

no they don't you tasteless fuck

Has Veeky Forums ever liked anything? I came here for the first time to ask on help on my outfit which was literally utter normie tier, then I started seeing what I like and I started dressing by myself, why the fuck does Veeky Forums make you wear autistic lesbian pieces. All these full black outfits with rugged boots, what the fuck are you a god damn twink? This board is a joke it hasn't changed its opinion on clothing in two years and majority of these fucks that come on Veeky Forums ask for help also rate your fits with no taste, but nobody can help when its a circle of faggots jerking each other off with their autistic fits.

>has a collection of people all with varying tastes ever definitively and collectively had the same opinion on something?
no

I hate streetwear, but Undercover is my favorite brand. Can't even explain it, it's categorized as streetwear, yet it's closer to Raf with all this 70s punk and rock, darker tone etc. style.

Reding this thread the only thing in my mind is that no one who doesn't defy what the term STREETWEAR means in their posts shouldn't fucking talk about it.
You faggots are clueless as fuck

"streetwear" in this context describes the current trend of fashions informed by rapper worship, skater clothes, and black urban """"culture"""". So yes it is accurate to say that brands like Supreme and their fans represent "streetwear"

If you think streetwear is an all-encompassing category that includes high fashion and avant-garde and everything not strictly formalwear you're fucking retarded and definitely underage.

why would you want to look like anything else but a twink?

While on the subject of streetware/"aesthetic" clothing does anyone have any recommendations reasonably priced brands?

I've only very recently got into even looking at brands and so far I've found/bought from a pretty small EU company "agora clothing" and "Pink + dolphin" I know people talk about Pink's limited "uniqueness" in their releases but I feel alot of it still works and their pricing is nowhere near as fucked up as BAPE and Supreme. I would also have to get that re-sellers also help in fucking up their prices as well.

lmao youre that one guy that gets buttmad when people talk shit about palace and then when given any rebuttals or logic like you ignore it and argue semantics

tl:dr

what is FOG, where did it come from and why do people think the FOG Vans collection is good?

the sk8 his are literally just regular sk8 his except the tongue is white

I'm really tired of idiots having this "what is streetwear" debate on Veeky Forums, it's getting old and just shows me every time how unknowledgeable you all are. Keep trying your pseudo-intellect on fashion and telling yourself you know something.

>when people talk shit about palace
what the fuck are you even talking about
All I'm seeing is bunch of clueless fucks talking about 'same' subject which obviously they all define completely differently and some inherently wrong
I don't even fucking wear streetwear, shit's too gaudy for me

truth

I like whatever fancys me why do we feel the need to group descriptive words like streetware to peoples set style we need to break out and keep these labels fluid and not defining

Surburban faggots.

>nmds
>minimalistic
die

Is that supposed to be an example of good stuff..?

WTAPS is legend
Really hope it stays on the DL and rappers don't get ahold of it so fuckboys ruin it with hype, bc right no it has almost no hype and is still high quality and cool 90's mil aesthetic

>wow you dont even know what STREETWEAR is?
>you cant even INHERENTLY "defy" it?
>wow dude youre CLUELESS
ok big guy lay down the definitive meaning of streetwear across all boards as a fact
lay out what is and what isnt streetwear and identify the line between

>Asian (by which I mean Japanese, Hong Kong etc but I've seen Vietnamese too) streetwear is much quieter.

I don't know where you live but this is a big stretch. If anything Asian streetwear is much more louder.

>streetwear in this context
>streetwear isn't an all-encompassing category
which one is it faggot
fyi it IS a broad term that is used by people much more important than you to describe raf, margiela, rick owens, even cdg issey junya and the like

clearly its interpretation depends on context

and faker, too

>too young for dress shoes/pantsshirts/coats
ur never too young for dressing good bro
well unless you are like 10 lol

Playing dress-up as a day-to-day thing can be really stupid for some people

That's how you end up with fedoras

5'9" isn't manlet tier man, it's still alright !

t. manlet

if being 6'0" is being a manlet I guess so.

FULL RICK