Is techwear dead?

Is techwear dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/42uae8/effort_long_techwear_a_postmortem/
discordapp.com/channels/229143161782403072/229143161782403072
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it was never really alive anywhere except online. Ive never seen a techwear fit in the real world

It's getting way overdone with all of the straps, masks and shit, almost cosplay, but the silhouettes are cool. Shoes are the best part.

Society hasn't evolved to the point where techwear would be cool

Good point, neither have I really. I live in central London and desu I've seen more ridiculous runway fashion stuff on the street than I have stuff bordering on techwear.

Do you think techwear has gone past the point of urban functional? Some of the stuff is actually useful to me because I live urban, ride a motorbike and do (((offensive security))), which often involves being outside in the cold for hours on end. Having lots of pockets is actually useful.

But some of this new ACRONYM stuff seems a bit far.

I've seen a bunch of Y-3 fits in Harajuku but only a few go for the techwear functional vibe. Most of them tend to lean towards the typical Yohji silhouettes with the technical fabrics as an extra thing.

Umm been dead for a while dude...
Fuck I am glad I sold off all this autistic shit before the market bottoms out and it's worthless.

reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/42uae8/effort_long_techwear_a_postmortem/

>the silhouettes are cool

society doesnt care what you wear. no one puts clothes in their priority to spend that much money.

the future is streetwear and minimalism

Minimalism is a sad relic of the 60s.

Great read and totally right. Dead as a doornail. Veeky Forums way behind the trends, as usual.

70% of techwear threads is lunarcore, cybergoth and goofninja trying to piggyback on the last shreds of popularity of techwear.

>the ultra-cyberpunk stylings of techwear
what the fuck?
It's just vaguely futuristic clothing.
It's neither cyber nor punk. Let alone "ultra cyberpunk".

Nike, The Nort Face and Adidas are not going anywhere. They have widespread popularity even with consumers who don't care about fashion. ACRNM, Guerrilla-Group, etc might have limited time being on trend, but big sportswear and outdoorswear companies will continue to innovate create high performance, comfortable and durable clothing that will continue the development of techwear. Anyone who thinks that techwear is just going to die because they are too much of a dork to pull off a Veilance or Stone Island jacket is delusional and out of touch with reality.

the 60's were colorful and festive

Yes, but not in a maximalist way.

the 50s and 60s were when abstract minimalism hit the mainstream hard as fuck as part of the modernist lifestyle.
Simple geometrical shapes, monochrome minimal decorations, all that shit.

And simultaneously there was that existentialist/leftist trend that consisted in dressing super-boring and only consuming boring art in order to "be emancipated from the hypnotic siren call of the society of spectacle, man".

No, people just don't talk about it here any more. Anyone who had anything to talk about on the subject moved onto the discord

>the future is streetwear and minimalism
the laggards are out tonight

*teleports behind you and unzips JC-35A ACR Multifunctional Parka*
"You think this is a game?"
*Quick release zipper flap on sleeve opens to reveal Carbon fiber and iridescent butterfly knife*
"You need to be more agile to defeat me"
*Quick flash of the knife blood spurts from your neck in a mist as I vanish into the urban jungle*

Heh

youre about 5 years late

>*unzips zippers*

lol no
This

>*goes out of breath after running 15 yards*
>*passes out from heat stroke*
>*chokes on polymer facemask*

Nice projecting, geek.

>if I decided to run right now no one could catch me

Those boots are clashing with the look. Btw, i was the one who revealed the Tachyons to Veeky Forums. I cannot beleieve no one posted about them until 2016 when DG sang about them years ago

Since we're on topic I need some new tech winter gloves. I had these cheap ones from SportsDirect before but unsurprisingly they fell apart, and now the repairs I've made have started breaking too.

Any reccs? Touchscreen compatible is essential.

Alright I laughed

samefag
pathetic

go and claim your legacy somewhere else faggot no one cares

do I gotta post that Zero History excerpt, again?

Do it.

“Milgrim and Sleight were in South Carolina,” said Bigend, seating himself behind the small white Ikea desk. One of its corners, facing her, was chipped, revealing some core material that resembled compacted granola. She sat on a very Eighties-looking vanity stool, pale violet velour, bulbous, possibly the last survivor of some previous business here. “Sleight had arranged for us to have a look at a garment prototype. We’d picked up interesting industry buzz about it, though when we got the photos and tracings, really, we couldn’t see why. Our best analyst thinks it’s not a tactical design. Something for mall ninjas.”

“For what?”

“The new Mitty demographic.”

“I’m lost.”

“Young men who dress to feel they’ll be mistaken for having special capability. A species of cosplay, really. Endemic. Lots of boys are playing soldier now. The men who run the world aren’t, and neither are the boys most effectively bent on running it next. Or the ones who’re actually having to be soldiers, of course. But many of the rest have gone gear-queer, to one extent or another.”

“ ‘Gear-queer’?”

Bigend’s teeth showed. “We had a team of cultural anthropologists interview American soldiers returning from Iraq. That’s where we first heard it. It’s not wholly derogatory, mind you. There are actual professionals who genuinely require these things—some of them, anyway. Though they generally seem to be far less fascinated with them. But it’s that fascination that interests us, of course.”

“It is?”

“It’s an obsession with the idea not just of the right stuff, but of the special stuff. Equipment fetishism. The costume and semiotics of achingly elite police and military units. Intense desire to possess same, of course, and in turn to be associated with that world. With its competence, its cocksure exclusivity.”

“Sounds like fashion, to me.”

“Exactly. Pants, but only just the right ones. We could never have engineered so powerful a locus of consumer desire. It’s like sex in a bottle.”

“Not for me.”

“You’re female.”

“They want to be soldiers?”

“Not to be. To self-identify as. However secretly. To imagine they may be mistaken for, or at least associated with. Virtually none of these products will ever be used for anything remotely like what they were designed for. Of course that’s true of most of the contents of your traditional army-navy store. Whole universes of wistful male fantasy in those places. But the level of consumer motivation we’re seeing, the fact that these are often what amount to luxury goods, and priced accordingly. That’s new. I felt like a neurosurgeon, when this was brought to my attention, discovering a patient whose nervous system is congenitally and fully exposed. It’s just so nakedly obvious. Fantastic, really.”

“And it ties into military contracting?”

“Deeply, though not simply. A lot of the same players, where the stuff actually originates. But your civilian buyer, your twenty-first-century Walter Mitty, needs it the way a mod, in this street, in 1965, needed the right depth of vent on a suitcoat.”

“It sounds ridiculous to me.”

“Almost exclusively a boy thing.”

“Almost,” she agreed, remembering Heidi’s IDF bra.

This was a good read.

I guess the difference with me is I actually do work for one of the "achingly elite police and military units", so I don't feel like too much of a poser when I wearing this shit.

>Is techwear dead?
Not until Errolson Hugh draws his final breath on this Earth.

>Though they generally seem to be far less fascinated with them.

50% the people that shop at tactical tailor are military buying non standard issue gear.

Everyone literally has the same silhouette that retarded carrot shape with bulky top and aggressively tapered pants

>techwear
>literally acrnm/cavempt/GGpanel and pants/nike
>posted non stop on sufu
>suddenly meme'd and those fags got laughed at so hard for wearing something when its 90 degrees they all left waywt
>sufu made a separate board which is filled with people who are a year late to the hype train

funny most all the inspo of all the techwear fits had their jackets sold back to grailed

Wrong. Back to plebbit or styleforum, whatever fag hellhole you came from. You clearly don't get it and never will. :)

kek i just saw some 28 year old menswear gaylord post on styleforum asking how to combine techwear with menswear
2 years ago he was having sissy fits about techwear being stupid and now he wants to combine with his gay tryhard aesthetic
sooo funny

Look at the sufu waywt retard everyone of those techwear nerds wears the same fit
Acronym shell
Gg windowpane tank
Gg pants
Nike acr af1s or i guess prestos now but the point still stands its essentially ghost in the shell inspired cosplay at this point

Look at ivan chow,mike sunday, bry city,waley g, alex wong, 1000deaths all those kids dress the exact samr dude its so sad

>ghost in the shell inspired
how?
Nobody in GitS dresses like these retards.

Are you me?

I commute on a bike every day and also work in infosec. Techwear's one of the only ways to incorporate moto gear into outfits that look alright.

I just received the pants and still need to get them tailored for optimal fit, but I like them so far.

Full grain leather jacket with CE armor in the arms and shoulders, kevlar lined pants with CE armor in the knees, and full grain boots with steel shanks in the soles, along with CE ankle armor and heel/toe cups.

>ivan chow,mike sunday, bry city,waley g, alex wong, 1000deaths all those kids
>all those kids
Those guys are all almost 30. Confirmed old retard who won't get it. Sorry no one wears suits these days, even office workers. Techwear is here to stay. You'll be wearing it more and more in time too, I'm sure you already have a few Nike sneakers and a hooded jacket even. Actually I am sure of it since you even know those brands and who those guys are. Must suck being so angry at an aesthetic that you'd invest time in it when it is apparently of no interest to you. Unless of course, you are the absolute faggot who wrote this:

nothin personell kid

nigga you're just an average dude with a gothninja hoodie

>all 30
>literally still working retail at nomad
lul

REKT
E
K
T

Exactly. I bought this gear specifically so that I didn't turn up to client sites looking like a power ranger in full leathers. Low-key is the aim.

the hoodie is tryhard and gay sorry

I saw that too. Imagine the cognitive dissonance that retard has.

some military gloves have tips you can velcro back for using the trigger, should have a look

>posts a drawing
>silhouette

pls leave idiot

This. Techwear is influenced more by military designs and streetwear than it is anime. Only some old dumb ass with out a clue would think otherwise.

You do realize that Gibson himself wears shitloads of ACRNM and Veilance along with more street brands like Visvim, right? It is the height of self-delusion when one thinks that their clothing is somehow isolated from fashion trends and that what they wear is just "normal". Unless you are literally dressed in Wal-mart rags and hand me downs then you are in the same boat as the rest of us, putting together a look to reflect our personalities and lifestyles. And seeing as you not only browse, but actualy make posts on, Veeky Forums then it's clear that you do care about fashion. If anything, the average techwear enthusiast's interest in the technical property of fabrics, in addition to the looks, makes the trend the least fashion-oriented compared to aesthetics such as men's suiting, faux-rockers (SLP), and minimalist casual (Lemaire, Margeila).

>implying this drawing isn't true to the techwear silhouette

Willy G. has also collaborated with Acronym and I'm pretty sure has ghost written some product descriptions.

If anything he is more critical of brands that flaunt aesthetic functionality.

Sure except when you look at these fags instagrams they cite ghost in the shell as a signifier

you didn't refute the fact they all dress the same

Hmmm really makes u think....

>be inspired by something
>proceed to avoid dressing like the characters from that thing

The only things they retained from GitS was
"woah those characters shot guns in urban environment and jumped form roof to roof and also it's in the future" which is coherent with the techwear myth.
They don't give a shit about the actual clothes or aesthetic.

>
>you didn't refute the fact they all dress the same
>Hmmm really makes u think....
Don't have to fag. You're blind if you think it is all the same.

It's really sad that the best designers who have contributed the most to the development of technical materials and innovative design in what would today be considered techwear are almost entirely ignored by fa and "techwear enthusiasts". There was a recent interview with raf simons and miuccia iirc where they talk about how stupid we are consumers today we see something for the first time and think its brand new when its actually been done 20 or 30 years before by a half dozen other designers.

Never have i seen a mention of massimo osti in a techwear thread, of issey miyake and rarely undercover gets tossed in there despite in my mind they have made and continue to make(at least in miyake's case) some of the best examples of wearable and innovative pieces in the realm of "techwear"

I mean did you guys see cav empt's cargo bomber recently? as close to a 1:1 rip off of a piece miyake did over 15 years ago as you're going to get

Sure maybe im just feeling disillusioned but theres more to techwear than gg windowpane tanks acronym shells and the latest nike drop yet the same fits get circle jerked again and again

I think this is why it is important you actually contribute to tech communities like Supertechwear or the Veeky Forums techwear discord. If you base all of your ideas about an aesthetic from social media thumbs and reblogs you will only be exposed to fits that instagram and tumblr users respond to for whatever reason. It's like writing off menswear because instagram is filled with the same skinny cropped pants, 12 bead bracelets and denim jackets layered under blazer shit that GQ loves, when in reality it is much more diverse despite something like a suit being pretty standardized, especially compared to something as diverse as techwear.

Theres a fa techwear discord??

Link me please?

how many times does the same fucking fit have to be reposted on sufu for you fags to understand how autistic techwear is

except helmut lang brought it to fashion in an entirely new way in the 90s

>people like those kinds of fits
>thousands and thousands of likes on insta
>YOU FAGS ARE AUTISTIC! ITS SHIT STOP LIKING IT! LIKE MY FITS AND STYLE INSTEAD!!1
whoa nice meltdown gramps
see you in 3 months when you're asking which nikes to buy in the cop or not thread :)

>le old man styleforum bogeyman

techwear is bad and derivative you don't even try and dispute that all these fags look the same
ahahah techwear apologists please go

Man techwear kiddies are really embarrassing when they get buttblasted

You're retarded then. As well as ugly and old. Give up on fashion I guess? No point in being so mad and also not looking good anyway.

Nice samefag dude. First time on Veeky Forums?
Pro-tip: The little arrow next to your post # shows your poster ID, idiot.

only one buttblasted here is you...

:^)

i dont get the little dweebs who know so much about a style and then spend their time ragging on it in generals. same thing happened in rick generals and SLP. i dont go to fedora lounge and learn about old timey suits and bitch about them looking ridiculous. seems like such a waste of time. lot of weirdos online i guess

ID on the boots and trousers? I've been looking for some that would pass off of the bike but still have those safety features. At the moment I either just wear jeans and military boots with no shanks, or I go full leathers. Neither is ideal.

I have this Furygan Dark jacket at the moment, which is full-grain with D30 armour arms and shoulders, and then the external armour on the shoulders too. Not sure how I feel about the external armour now though.

I like your fit a lot.

discordapp.com/channels/229143161782403072/229143161782403072

Umm when the God of techwear tells you that the aesthetic has passed on, you know it is as good as dead. Sorry you kids wasted so much money on your ninja cosplay.

Not sure if you're still watching this thread, but they're the Icon 1000 Truant boots in black, and Speed and Strength Dogs of War pants in black as well. Speed and Strength is a pretty shit tier brand in general, but these are one of the few riding pants I actually like. They run a tad big on sizing, and I'd recommend taking them in to get tailored for your measurements so that they fit correctly and the armor stays in the right place.

Alternatively, Ugly Bros also sells some cool looking moto pants. They're about double the price and offer less protection (no kevlar in some models) but they do look cool.

>fa
>knowledge

Pick one and only one

Nice one, I like the mad max vibe it has with the dainese jacket

Thanks. Those boots look great.

What bike do you ride? I'm thinking of getting the 2017 R6. I'd love to get the R1M but it's just a bit too expensive.

the new r6 is pure sex

Agreed

only if you're a dog

name my band guys

damn Veeky Forums....why aren't you this cool?

See
Something wrong with you dude

Spandex Ballet

butthurt sufu asian manlet detected

this shit looks ridiculous

I am all for tech fabrics and functional gear, but this stupid fucking face ninja strap shit looks worse than the naruto larpers from junior high.

>hates sufu
>butthurt over being called old
Yep styleforum no life nerd detected
Pathetic at your age to be here

>implying i go on either and am over 22

yeah okay fag, dont you have some overpriced strappy acr drop to wait for?

F U T U R E C H A V

bruv