What conditions in our society and intellectual life cause the scourge of scientism?

What conditions in our society and intellectual life cause the scourge of scientism?

Is it public education and the Prussian education model?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_thesis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Due to the death of God people now place their faith in science - at least (to them) it has enough evidence of its effectiveness.

How do we get with the Greeks then - no God but a healthier society?

I hate to sound like a god-botherer here, but IMO it's because people try to answer questions with science that that have traditionally been answered with metaphysics and/or philosophy out of a disdain for the latter two approaches and, ironically, place faith in science even when it doesn't answer satisfactorily because of their aforementioned disdain.

I blame the decline in the quality of education desu, but that's another thread and probably more suitable for /pol/.

Creationism is where it is at man.

Are you one of those people who drives by the main page and drops as many ebin trolls into each thread as he can then alt-tabs?

The conflict thesis doomed us

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_thesis

Capitalism

>scientism
yeah man i don't like rational thinking so i'll just call it an 'ism' and dismiss it like it's some kind of backwards ideology that can be attacked in totality

you're a fucking moron who can't math, is that it?

There is a difference between rationalism and scientism you fucking retard, scientism is a new phenomenon.

so explain to me how rationalism is different from 'scientism', which is a word that someone must have pulled out of their ass fairly recently

>you're a fucking moron who can't math, is that it?
Kek you're talking to a guy who's working on a research project in knot theory and is taking graduate courses in math

Here's the difference in a nutshell, do your own research before you explode like an autist next time

The first instance I've found of "scientism" was in "The House of Intellect" by Jacques Barzun, published 1959, where he criticizes exactly what I'm criticizing in this thread.

How does its social mechanism operate?

It's split between several causes

1. People who can't, don't or won't understand science get jealous about it's successes and develop the passive aggressive concept of scientism

2. Industry is supported and grown by science, and thus there is a strong financial incentive to pursue STEM fields

3. Meanwhile pursuits of a more rounded education are out of reach financially for all but the most well off students, at least in the US but also the UK.

3. Students with both an interest and passion and energy for both the arts and sciences are rare, hard to foster, and hard to educate bc they are usually self-driven

4. Pracical cultural values look down about apparently "frivolous" occupation such as the humanities "well you won't get a job when you graduate if you study philosophy."

In short, narrowmindedness abounds.

What are humans going to eat scientific papers?

nice :^)

>School failed me, and I failed the school. It bored me. The teachers behaved like Feldwebel (sergeants). I wanted to learn what I wanted to know, but they wanted me to learn for the exam. What I hated most was the competitive system there, and especially sports. Because of this, I wasn't worth anything, and several times they suggested I leave. This was a Catholic School in Munich. I felt that my thirst for knowledge was being strangled by my teachers; grades were their only measurement. How can a teacher understand youth with such a system? . . . from the age of twelve I began to suspect authority and distrust teachers. I learned mostly at home, first from my uncle and then from a student who came to eat with us once a week. He would give me books on physics and astronomy. The more I read, the more puzzled I was by the order of the universe and the disorder of the human mind, by the scientists who didn't agree on the how, the when, or the why of creation. Then one day this student brought me Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Reading Kant, I began to suspect everything I was taught. I no longer believed in the known God of the Bible, but rather in the mysterious God expressed in nature.

-Albert Einstein

Scientism fags BLOWN
THE
FUCK
OUT

So what I'm reading is

>Some scientists like philosophy
>Other scientists don't like philosophy
>I think they should all like philosophy

Cool opinion bud

What specifically are you looking at? Invariant polynomials?

This is basically it. They feel inferior in modern society where science and maths are emphasized more than the liberal arts so they have to make these non-Veeky Forums threads everyday to make themselves feel better. Hey. If you want to talk about science and "scientism" take it to Veeky Forums.

Can you give an example of such a question along with its metaphysical/Philosophical answer and explain how can you be sure that the answer is correct or useful?