Do you think the West is due for a "Renaissance of the Medieval"? That is...

Do you think the West is due for a "Renaissance of the Medieval"? That is, do you think we will eventually see a second flowering of Medieval thought and art, the way the first Renaissance saw a rebirth of Ancient thought and art?

Other urls found in this thread:

orthodoxartsjournal.org/fr-philippe-peneaud-romanesque-iconography-today/
oodegr.co/english/filosofia/nihilism_root_modern_age.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=31TqJsTObBc
youtube.com/watch?v=16FiUs2JcL8
youtube.com/watch?v=o8qs01-cha4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

No, not in my opinion.
The Renaissance began to germinate and grow once old works of art and literature were discovered and Italian artists, scientists and thinkers tried to emulate them as they enjoyed them.

But in the modern day we have gone past this point. We have the internet and the ability to travel wherever we like, and we have almost the entirety of the medieval works ever created in various libraries or on the internet.

There is no reason why people who are interested in medieval art and thought can't study it, but the fact that we already have it all due to the internet and there will be no new great inflow of medieval things means no renaissance, sorry

Wasn't Romanticism already that?

>what was the 19th century?

Romanticism was pagan shit. It was anti-Medieval, if anything, because it was anti-Christian and Christianity is the core of the Middle Ages.

Are you on drugs?

That's utter bollocks

There's only going to be a renaissance of decline and authoritarianism in the west

it was anti-rationality primarily so you get medievalism in art

>the entirety of the medieval works ever created
Yeah, I wish.

The Orthodox Church is already reviving Medieval Western art: orthodoxartsjournal.org/fr-philippe-peneaud-romanesque-iconography-today/

If Prince Charles makes the CoE Orthodox, it could cause quiet a Renaissance
Father Seraphim Rose wrote a work called "Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age" (you can skip the preface, which isn't by him, and simply explains it was originally a chapter of a larger work): oodegr.co/english/filosofia/nihilism_root_modern_age.htm It is very much in the vein of what you're talking about.

How am I wrong? What is there of Christianity in Romanticism? If anything, Byron, Goethe, Shelley, Nietzsche, etc. were all trying to escape Christianity. They were trying to even escape Classical thought and go back to the sort of Rousseauean state of nature, the noble savage, Arcadia. It was all about the unthinking passions, about sturm und drang. There was nothing Christian about Romanticism, or at least not in the main thrust of the movement.

constantine please

there was a lot of christianity in german art and some of the pre-raphaelites

I think the closest we're going to see is a general change in tone of thought towards the medieval from "they were backwards idiots" to them not being that.

youtube.com/watch?v=31TqJsTObBc

Not what you're looking for?

I posit that not only is it going to happen, it IS happening. We're in the beginnings of it right now.

Consider Alisdair MacIntyre and the recover of virtue ethics. Consider Analytical Thomism. Consider "Laudato Si." Consider the renewed doctoral interest in the Medieval at universities around the world.

It's not much yet. But remember, the Renaissance took place over about 300 years, spanning the entire European continent. These things have been happening for about 40 years, maybe 50. We're still in the beginnings.

youtube.com/watch?v=16FiUs2JcL8

youtube.com/watch?v=o8qs01-cha4

basically this, if anything in my country we're going to end up with opposing city/urban vs provincial/rural sectarianism due to multiculturalism if anything.

So basically you want the West to return to some kind of religious monoculture, which is now completely impossible thanks to all the information we have on not just other current religions, but also on the history of religion, including how they've developed.

I love it when /pol/fags demand the impossible, it's quite hilarious

I think he means a new conception of truth as subject, as opposed to truth as object or mere perception. This actually ties in well with Adorno's theory of aesthetics, except he regards Christianity as "magic" and rather passe, artistically; nonetheless he conceives of art as neither the object for the artist's expression, nor merely the object for the viewer's expression (à la Barthes), but as a subjective expression unto itself. If you look at Orthodox art work, which kissed and venerated as a subject, you can see how Adorno's aesthetic is very much a secularization of the Christian aesthetic.

You have never read any romantic literature

Early med evil art was worst than Sunday Comics. All of the good stuff you find is a little before the Renaissance. So there's no real reason to revive it.

If you look at what medieval "philosophy" was it was all theology, it has pretty much no value if you don't axiomatically assume the truth of Christianity (ie what would a secular person do with an argument about the nature of the trinity?). The only other thing to be found in their philosophy is meta-physics. Medieval metaphysics is also made obsolete by Spinozian metaphysics, and was based on incorrect Aristotelian physics.

I don't see what you would want to take from the Medieval period. Low and mid medieval period was objectively the lowest point in our history and high medieval is good preciously because it was leading up to the Renaissance.

Perhaps but I believe the west will have a rude awakening first.

A revival of medieval thought and morals isn't possible in a secular society with access to massive amounts of information about various religions. Feudalism as a form of government isn't possible anymore in our societies either, due to a well trained group of civil servants and bureaucrats.

Now, you might see and we probably are seeing a shift away from viewing the medieval era as being a time of no real development at all, but that doesn't mean anyone will submit to feudal lords or go on crusade. Those days are done.