Coins 1

Hey anons,

Amature coin collector here, been collecting for a number of years now and have quite a collection of coins (+ some notes & stamps) from around the world. I know there is a fuckload of money waiting to be made in the collectibles market and im looking to start up some kind of ebay store/physical store at fairs selling fairly low level or specialty coins to collectors (not $1000 pennies or uncirculating commemeratives like most do). Not aiming to make heaps of money (yet), mostly to find something to do with my hobby.

Anyway, lets have a coin thread to discuss coins and other collectibles, NOT BULLION COINS OR METALS DISCUSSION.

If anyone wants any info on rarity of coins, valuation or simply coin identification just post here and I (or another user) might be able to help.

Ill start it off, some commemorative Australian coins, some of the first circulating coins to have permanent color on them, not worth a whole lot much more than their face value (except the round 50c which is 80% silver) but you can get a 25% to 50% increase on face value if you sell them online (especially to overseas collectors).

Other urls found in this thread:

silvergoldbull.com/1-oz-2016-vote-trump-silver-round
ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/belgium-5-centimes-km-51-1811-1861-cuid-24809-duid-71169;
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This aren't coins

You should get some Trumpcoins.

coin shit doesnt really fetch alot of money.. you have to be quite autistic to collect coins.. the market just isnt there

You can easily get alot of coins from around the world in moneychangers at spot value

Expect little returns from your "rare" coins

>You can easily get alot of coins from around the world in moneychangers at spot value

No...

Currency exchange normally exchanges at 2 prices, notes and credit. I'm from Australia, and say if i went to the US and tried to exchange dollar coins, they wont accept them, so no, you cant get any world coin from your local currency exchange. In many countries even notes are limited to maybe the top 20 most common countries, for example, your not going to find a currency exchange selling Belarusian rubles near you.

On top of this, you can only get circulating notes from these places, they are worth only face value because they are so common, the coins people normally want to get are years old and no longer in production.

>Expect little returns from your "rare" coins

There's a fuckload of coin and stamp businesses, just look up your local city and you will find several numismatic stores. Its way bigger than you think.

Pic attached is coins you will be hard pressed to find, a post independence guinea-bissau coin and a Afghanistan coin from the communist period, two coins you definitely wont be finding in your money exchange and worth more than their face value (which is nothing because they use different currencies now).

I have an extensive coin collection, including international coins/notes and domestic (Australian) currency dating back from the 1800s to present. I am planning on beginning selling it all off next year but have no idea about valuations. Do you have an e-mail, mate, so I could contact you in future for your price recommendations?

>Do you have an e-mail, mate, so I could contact you in future for your price recommendations?

You can send pics and stuff to '[email protected]', i dont view it every day but i use it for all my buying and selling.

Be aware, im an armature and not an actual coin grader so the prices are only estimates and its possible i'd miss some things, but i can make sure that you wont get absolutely ripped off if you take it to a shoddy coin dealer or just sell it off on ebay.

There was a good currency thread on pol the other day, its still in the archive if you want to view it.

Anyone know the value of chinese falungong stamped currency? Icant find anytging about their value, i have about a dozen notes from 1-20¥all either printed or stamped, no handwrittens

I traded most of my large collection of coins with an ebay trader for gold and silver, as I'm now collecting coins for their bullion value, not just their intrinsic value - you are bound to get a response like this posting on a business board.

It's pretty advantageous being from England, as we've been a country with currency for so long. I still have a few rare coins all over 600 years old and the majority from precious metals.

Did I get a good deal here senpai?

I don't know the answer for certain but I'm willing to bet that the answer is: they're worth nothing. At best, they're worth the face value.

Strange is that the notes seem to imply that they were printed by the Chinese central bank (Zhong guo ren min yin hang.) If that's true, I guess they're worth face value although it's strange that the Chinese CB would have anything to do with Falungong on their currency now that Falungong is considered illegal.

In general, most notes from any country are practically worthless.

I got a tripcode for when i post when im out on my phone or studying.

Sadly they arent worth much, they are void in China and people wont accept them, they might hold some value as a curiosity to collectors but not a whole lot. Seeming as you have a set of them you might be able to get something on ebay from people that don't really understand what the are, like to collect propoganda or have an interest in falun gong.

In reality, they are stamped chinese notes with falun gong propoganda on them (a banned chinese religious group). They will never be worth that much because of their ease to make, all you need is the stamp.

The equivilant to it here is if say someone wrote or stamped pro communist propoganda on a US banknote.

Same here bro.

Been collecting random coins from all over the world.

Some of my coins go back to 1700's.

But I've looked a lot of them up one by one and most seem to have almost no value.

Am I missing something?

I'll post some of my rare ones later if this thread is still up.

I checked Veeky Forums for a coin thread last week and didn't find anything. Glad to find this one.

I'm combining my interest in coins with my interest in investing by buying world silver coins at spot value, then researching them and putting them in flips. The idea being I want to hold silver for decades and they'll slowly gain some numismatic value at the same time. Some of them are already worth 5x or more of spot if you believe the catalogs.

I also bought about 100 pounds of random world coins from different dealers and sorted out some extra silver, as well as rare coins with high catalog value that I'm going to trade for more silver coins (looking at catawiki's trading system - anyone know if they're good?). The remaining coins I put into cheap chemically inert plastic boxes sorted by country and I'll either sell lots or just keep them around for my family to find when I die.

My third motivation is to beat the Guinness world record for largest collection of unique silver coins (1600) after a couple of decades of this. (I'm a nolifer with a lot of disposable income, it's realistic)

>remaining coins I put into cheap chemically inert plastic boxes sorted by country
ps. the look on the cashier's face when you come up with 50 boxes of cotton swabs is priceless.

Those types of coins are always really difficult to tell really.

They are coins with artificial rarity, as in they are rare because they dont mint many of them, however they aren't meant to be circulating and have a very, very limited number of collectors. I personally never buy any of these, i only go for coins that are (at minimum) designed for circulation.

What you bought i would consider numismatic tokens, although they might have a stamped value on them, they aren't really coins and not designed with currency in mind. You will notice that lots of countries that produce these types of coins are very small countries (Kiribati, Lesotho ect), these coins are minted by their governments simply to make money off foreign collectors because their economies are so small they can make a fair amount of money selling these.

Some can be worth a fair bit, it just depends on the year and the country they come from. I am really no expert in that field because i dont have the money to buy those types of coins, if your interested post on a numismatic forum or take them to a shop.

Pic related, a one dollar Somalian 'coin'

>I also bought about 100 pounds of random world coins from different dealers and sorted out some extra silver, as well as rare coins with high catalog value that I'm going to trade for more silver coins

I've thought about doing this but everyone tells me that the sellers, even if they claim to have not searched the bulk lots, actually have and take out anything of real value from them. I did buy a kilo of just random coins once, but that was more to prop up the number of coins i had to swap on Numista, i think the best coins i got were some old colonial coins from the mid 1800's which aren't worth that much in particular.

>My third motivation is to beat the Guinness world record for largest collection of unique silver coins (1600) after a couple of decades of this. (I'm a nolifer with a lot of disposable income, it's realistic)

I'm surprised that a museum or something doesn't have more than 1600, coins in a collection somewhere in the world...

>I've thought about doing this but everyone tells me that the sellers, even if they claim to have not searched the bulk lots, actually have and take out anything of real value from them. I did buy a kilo of just random coins once, but that was more to prop up the number of coins i had to swap on Numista, i think the best coins i got were some old colonial coins from the mid 1800's which aren't worth that much in particular.
Oh yeah, if you buy lots on ebay you will definitely get picked stuff. I asked a bunch of brick and mortar dealers for surplus and then I ordered more from the ones with the best stuff. They all had different characteristics. One dealer has no silver at all (well, one tiny pre-62 swedish 10 öre they missed), another one has far more 19th century coins than the others. One lot I bought from a private person by putting up an ad on our local craigslist type thing and asking for pictures. On that one, just the spot value on the silver coins were worth slightly more than what I paid for the total.

>I'm surprised that a museum or something doesn't have more than 1600, coins in a collection somewhere in the world...
This record specified private collections only. A millionaire could beat it in a few months if they tried but they either haven't bothered or they haven't notified Guinness.

>swap on Numista
How good is Numista for trading in Europe, anyone know?

And can you tell me more about swaps in general, how easy is it to find a swap, how smooth is the process, and how do you protect yourself? And anything else you can tell me. Like I mentioned earlier I have lots of catalog value stuff I'd love to trade for around 75% value back in silver coins I don't have but I need to research these sites more.

>dad impulse buys coins online for many times more than they are worth
>this is his only "investment"
>he is in debt
>spends $$$ on "collectible" coins
>gives me some
>I try to figure out how to sell them
>look up prices, not even worth selling
>a bunch of small amounts of foreign coins too
>put wheat pennies in coin jar to use as pennies, along with buffalo nickel, sacajaewa dollar, and other shit
>have foreign coins sitting in basement, deciding to give them to someone so I can get 'em off my shoulders

Literally why the fuck? People who "collect" anything are retards.

>But I've looked a lot of them up one by one and most seem to have almost no value.
>Am I missing something?

The thing is with coins, the rarity and value are two separate things.

The rarity depends on how many coins there are out there and how accessible there are, for example a 2010 penny from the UK isn't rare because there is so many of them and you can easily pick them out of your change. You might have a roman coin from like 234 AD that is the only one in the world, thats a rare coin.

The value lies in how many people want that type of coin, not the actual rarity, you might have a one in a kind coin like the roman coin from 234 AD, but if nobody else wants it the price will be next to nothing because there is no demand. Though, if for example there was a common coin (eg a penny of whatever year) that although there were 20 million minted, if 30 million people are looking for one for their collection the value of that coin will be high, even if its not particuarly rare per say.

This is why there are some really expensive pennies in like the US/UK/Australia, because those are the easiest coins to start collecting, but to fill in the final gaps and make your collection complete you need to pay the big bucks to get those hard to find years.

Essentially, if your looking for a long term coin investment that costs next to nothing, pick out recent coins with low mintage numbers from your change (like in Australia pick out all the federation commemeratives, because the mintage number is only like 2 million or so), in like 50 years or so they might be worth a whole lot more than they are now.

Pic related, South Yemen 5 fils, quite arare coin to find and buy, but it has little value because there aren't many South Yemen coin collectors out there.

>People who "collect" anything are retards.
HEY HEY HEY! My okemon card collection will be worth something one day! Just wait a generation or 2 and the nostalgia factor will kick in and BOOM! Then i'll be ahead.

>put wheat pennies in coin jar to use as pennies, along with buffalo nickel, sacajaewa dollar, and other shit
>have foreign coins sitting in basement, deciding to give them to someone so I can get 'em off my shoulders

Send them to me pls, ill pay for the postage.

Coins like those aren't normally that rare, but people start out their collections on them, there might be a rare year in there, or one in very good condition (old coins in good condition, no matter if they are rare or not can be worth a fair bit) if you search through them. Its hard though as someone not interested in coins to grade your coins and trying to estimate the price.

>baseball cards

Soz for the shit photos.

Is this crap worth anything?

and these..

Anything with a red dot on it is worth slightly more than face value (except for the round 50c which is like $9-$10).

If you wanted to try and make some money off these, sell them as one big lot on ebay or something, you will probably get more than for selling these individually.

Or, you could hold them longterm and see if their value rises, some of those coins have low mint numbers (good example is the first fleet bicentennial coin, its pretty uncommon to find now and in another 20 or so years there wont be any left in circulation).

Thanks user. Will most likely hang onto them. They are all from spare change over the years lol

>tfw I had all these coins at one point
>tfw took them to get evaluated
>tfw get told they're basically face value
>tfw deposited them in bank instead
Basically what said. They're really all just worth face value except for a few in TWENTY YEARS... And the round 50cent.
>tfw I have a whole bunch of ones with ram heads on them.

Its pretty good for trading in Europe and trading on a pretty much continental scale (Eg, Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, North America). Trading between continents isn't as good because the postage is quite expensive and slow, so some people may not be bothered to trade with you, but many still do it, it will just cost you more. Being from Australia with most swappers in Europe/US, it can be annoying sometimes, but in the end it almost always works out, haven't had any problems thus far except really slow (3 months) shipping.

Swaps are easy, look for a coin you want, go to the bottom of the info page, check out the people that have that coin up for a swap, check the profiles out and see the other coins they can swap, choose someone and start messaging them. Process just depends on the person you are trading with, most of the time it will be fairly smooth and easy but others will be clunky and slow.

In terms of protecting yourself, the rating system does most of that stuff, just be wary of trading with brand new members (most will ask you to send first), and just take pictures of the packages and tracking number/receipt so if someone screws you over you can post about it on the forums.

Also with silver coins, most members will only trade silver for silver, though ive found some that are willing to trade silver coins for maybe 3-4 normal coins (just depending on value), so its much easier to get more silver coins if you have some spares in your collection to trade for.

Thanks. Then I reckon I'll premake roughly equal value lots mixed with silver duplicates, upload pics and inventory lists, find a person with a reasonable number of silver coins for trade and ask them to pick one.

>find a person with a reasonable number of silver coins for trade and ask them to pick one.

Get a bunch every trade, otherwise it will be too slow. People tend to do like 10 - 20 coins per swap depending on postage cost but chances are if your trading silver coins with some value they will settle for less.

Also, some people do trade silvers for normal coins, i got some early RSFSR kopeck coins which are silver just from trading normal circulating commemeratives.

>>tfw I had all these coins at one point
>>tfw took them to get evaluated
>>tfw get told they're basically face value
>>tfw deposited them in bank instead

Almost all coins in circulation will be worth face value, with the exception of some rare commemoratives. If your super lucky you might come across a error coin or a rare year and thats when you can make cash from your pocket change. Problem is that you need to be able to spot those coins which is difficult, hence for most people, pocket change remains pocket change.

>tfw I have a whole bunch of ones with ram heads on them.

Those are actually 90% silver and worth something, dont just get rid of them.

>Those are actually 90% silver and worth something, dont just get rid of them.
Cheer m8.
>tfw used a couple to buy a coffee
>it wasn't even that good

I collect euros and coins from countries I visit. I do it for fun and I don't really plan to get a return from it, I'll just use them if I need them one day. I am particularly interested in commemorative 2€, I have almost all the German ones with the churches

I can get coins from the sovereign order of Malta as my family in law are high ranking members.

When your not from Europe though its hard to tell whats commemorative or not, when i went last time i picked up a bunch of what i thought were commemoratives but it turned out they were just normal coins :/

I had a bag of coins given to me that my dad found at the dump while he worked there during the 80's. Most of them are old pennies and half pennies and a few old euro coins but the one in the pic was in there also. I've done some googling but all I can get is that it's maybe a phillip II of macedon olympic coin. I also have a suspicion that it could be fake due to no head side.

Anyone got any ideas?

If you can figure out what type of metal its made out of you can really narrow down and eliminate some coins.

It looks like it might be brass, cause it doesn't look like its got much oxidation (i.e., Red or green rusting), which is common in Turkish and Greek ancient coins. A hallmark of brass coins is the black tarnish on the coins.

Maybe that will narrow it down a bit for you...

Usually if there's nothing written on the coin or just the country's name it's not commemorative. Some non-commemorative are rare too, Malta, Finland and Lithuania for example.

does anybody know if this is worth something?

You can Google that...

Google says 1200$ and up if it's real, good find

I'm Maltese. you get them at every shop or petrol station here. Picture related. It's the content of my wallet from this morning

Maltese 2€ are pretty sought after in the continent, the smaller the county the fewer coins are out there

how funny ! I see coins from San Marino here also sometimes. I got this one at the KFC last week

I have that, and also 20 cent from San Marino. They're two of the three coins I have ever seen from it, the third. Being another 1€. I also have a shitload of Maltese coppers but never seen anything else, and I'm an autist who puts coins in food machines and presses the give back button until somethi ng interesting shows up. Right now I'm on the hunt for newer Dutch coins with the new monarch on them.

If its real, you have found something amazing. If not, it might be still worth something because people do actually collect fakes.

Tbh, almost looks too good to be true, and that colorful patina will make it much more valuable (if its real).

What about the vatican coins?

Do vatican euros even circulate, or are they just in sets or something?

Vatican euros do circulate, and they change with every pope.

Problem is, sterling silver is not 9999 pure... just buy bullion or bullion coins for whichever country you are in desu senpai...
>vat on silver within the eu tho

So today i did something weird.

As i said before, i never buy gold or silver coins or proof coins because i see them more as numastic tokens.

Well today i bought one, because i thought it might be a good opportunity to try and flip it to make some cash, its pure silver though i think i overpaid for it.

Worst comes to worst, i spent more than i should have on a cool coin that i decide to keep.

I'm sorting through a lot I got in yesterday, about halfway done.

Paid 800 NOK ($97) and I have 167 grams of silver coins so far. 525 NOK value if we assume 70% silver content on average. I think I'll end up in profit and the 8 kilos of non silver will have been free. A lot of interesting stuff from 1800 and on in the non-silver as well, including
Mozambique 50 centavos 1936 $45 catalog value in very fine
Denmark 5 ore 1908 $30vf
Norway 5 ore 1875 $22vf
Denmark 25 ore 1935 $40vf
British Indies 10 cash 1808 $2,8vf

Best buy in a while.

>Royal Australian Cunt
>The Last Sick Cunts
>One Fine Silver Cunt
straya

Also won these in an auction yesterday for $41.

$27

my 100 canadian maple silver arrived safely
between the buy and the arrival i basically gained back the bonus on them and some.
i bought them at $15 spot and it's $17 spot now going up is my guess.

also i'm having second thoughts on silver being the post-apoc money choice.
it weights a metric fucking ass ton. a roll of them would rip my pockets wide open.

Traditionally, for thousands of years, the worker's wage was the equivalent of a little silver coin a day. An apocryphal bible story I read yesterday had Jesus selling one of his followers to an Indian king for 3 silver coins.

Raising and keeping an army of 200,000 for several months cost less in silver than you or I could obtain right now if we put our minds to it.

Just a little perspective on how it performed outside of our modern world since you mention weight.

yeah sure, but still i can so empathize with the dude that came up with paper money and banks right now...
i would work out with these fucking plastic tubes of silver.

One more; the biblical 30 silver coins delivered to Judas has been estimated by translation through a Roman captain's wage to be the equivalent of $64,000.

they are pretty for sure

Looks like cupro from this angle. Take more pics. :-)

well i left them in the hardbox so i can't currently.
yeah they turned out to be pretty shit my phone has shit camera the lighting was shit and the flash didn't help.
actually i only like the maple side the old hag does nothing for me.

in fact this is a genius idea i think i will just keep peoples silver coins and give them paper iou-s instead of silver when they buy it.

what do you think Veeky Forums?

Where do you buy these?

I'm assuming not a coin shop because they wouldn't be so well priced, an estate auction/sale?

A brick and mortar dealer. I've tested lots from all of them and this one is among the clearly best two so I order consistently. His business seems to be all about mint modern coins and bullion so I think it's possible he genuinely doesn't care or have time to go through this mixed old stuff.

I found a handful of 100+ year old 1 cents and 2 1/2 cents from netherlands. These are bronze and have developed a uniform blue-green coating, not sure if that's bronze disease or verdigris. Would acetone work for this, you think?

Are you sure you want to remove it?

I'm not sure what to do, I've come across copper coins like this before but just discarded them because they had no value. These are $5-50 or so each.

Take them to a coin dealer first before you try anything, they will tell you what to do with those specific coins.

Cleaning coins almost always ruins their value unless they are literally corroded beyond recognition, people often pay good money for a patina, even though it might look like nothing to an untrained eye.

Only clean your coins if you just want to make them look better personally, because chances are they will have a big drop in value after you do it.

Also, the only time ive ever cleaned coins i have used acetone and it works fine, though you can get specific coin cleaning acids but they are much more expensive and idk if it actually does a better job.

Alright, thanks.. I put some of the worst ones in acetone until it evaporated away and they look only slightly better. I'll throw them in an envelope for now. I already have some untainted versions any way.

298 grams silver coins in total now, btw. Going to ask him if he's got more of this lot and pay him a little extra so I don't feel bad about it.

Just spoke to him and let him know. Suggested paying more for another load. He said he's happy about it but that it's all luck because it comes from a pile of little plastic savings banks he doesn't have time to sort so he's going to charge me the old price. It would have been rude to ask him for his source of these things, and I would have thought they're from a bank offloading them in bulk (when children come in with those they tend to just give them something like $50 rather than opening and sorting them) if not for the fact it's almost all foreign and quite aged. This mystery is going to bug me.

>I would have thought they're from a bank offloading them in bulk

They normally get them from charities actually, people donate bulk coins and stamps to some charities that then sell them off, im guessing thats where most of your dealers coins come from.

Another place most bulk sellers get their coins (mainly the ones that sell bulk lots on ebay) are from those charity donation boxes in airports in various countries, except for like USD/AUD/Pound/Euro the currency is bundled up and sold bulk to sellers by the kg simply because its not profitable enough to transport the hard currency back to the original country and exchange it.

Damn, just found a Belgian 1835 5 cent; ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/belgium-5-centimes-km-51-1811-1861-cuid-24809-duid-71169;
$60 VG, $1200 VF, $4000 XF40, $5000 MS60.

It looks very nice except normal wear on the high points of the lion, so I guess something in between VG and VF. I'm not good at this stuff yet.

Something's wrong with me, was a 2 cent. Still catalogs at $60 in vf so pretty good. Goes into the trading pile and hopefully I can get nice semi-equal silver for it down the line.

Bump

Some coins from the country of Bhutan, apparently one of the happiest in the world.

Not that uncommon, but still very interesting and a cool design.

Nice, have some UAE I got yesterday

UAE coins are very common and aren't worth much.

However, pre-UAE coins from that area (ie. Before the 7 emirates became one country, the time when they acted as sovereign states) can be very rare and could be worth a bit to someone collecting them.

Ive never been to UAE before, but if i did i'd probably look through the markets for coins from like Fujairah or Ras al-Khaimah, for some reason they are very rare despite being minted only in the 60's.

Can you provide a link to the ebay seller?

anyone was able to order the gold mercury dime?

the mint had 125,000 and put them up for sale at noon last friday and they sold out in 40 minutes, with many, many people unable to place an order due to the site crawling to a halt.

here's what the real thing looks like

It's a local auction site that seems to be used mostly by coin and antiquities dealers. The seller was numisma.no.