What is the difference between selvedge and just regular jeans?

What is the difference between selvedge and just regular jeans?

Also would I be better off buying some nudie jeans which aren't selvedge denim, or go with a different brand which is selvedge? I don't really want to be spending over $100 (£80 im a brit) on jeans, anyone got some recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

highsnobiety.com/2014/10/07/affordable-selvedge-denim-100-dollars/
asos.com/search/selvedge?q=selvedge
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well they use a more expensive looming machine. Plus they always look better, colorwise. Nudie is a bit overpriced. Go with APC if you really want to try raws

>I don't really want to be spending over $100
Then don't

it's woven on a smaller loom, making the fabric a bit tighter, and the use of the selvage reinforces the seam
theoretically, it's a better fabric, but that isn't an absolute

if you don't see value in selvage above that price point, then there isn't

I googled APC jeans, they're all £130+, the nudie jeans i was looking at were on sale and were £60 ish

highsnobiety.com/2014/10/07/affordable-selvedge-denim-100-dollars/

are the recommendations on here worth buying?

bump

asos, uniqlo, the unbranded brand, brave star and combat agent

bump

most fabrics have a self edge. the self edge is usually discarded because it will have a negative effect on the final garment. the difference is that some jeans will use the self edge in the cutting. this used to be done to waste less fabric, but is now generally more wasteful, for reasons.

there is no meaningful advantage besides possible fabric savings to using the self edge and it's popular mostly to fool people into thinking that jeans are higher quality than they are.

you guys are all fucking faggot pussies. Disgusting manlets using clothes to mask your autism and insecurity kill yourselves.

You can bet Uniqlo sourced the cheapest thinnest denim they possibly could. That being said it's probably adequate but I prefer Unbranded. Selvedge or non-selvedge matters very little. Spending $14 to tailor your jeans is much more important.

Can confirm, my uniqlo selvedge is paper thin, even left fold/crease marks when i cuffed the

hey op next time post this in fuccboi general instead of making whole thread

any ways most answers itt are correct

raw denim/ selvedge meme has be known to be better quality and selvedge just looks nice when you cuff your jeans if ur into that
i think op asked a decent question and implys none of your assumptions

like yes he should have posted this in fuccboi general

and yeah he could have easily googled it too

but i really do not understand why you'd feel the need to post something like that
sounds like a projection

WHEN YOU CUFFED THE WHAT????

yeah i think that guy has some underlying issues. thanks for the advice and shit bro, what's your opinion on unbranded or the jeans on this link
asos.com/search/selvedge?q=selvedge

Uniqlo selvedge is thin but its very well priced I would say.

How thin? How would they compare to regular h&m jeans or levis 511s, those are what I currently wear

oh they're thinner enough to notice but its not super significant. They feel woven tighter though, and I like how they fit as well.

Does the weight of the jeans in ounces correlate with the thickness?

i think they are good for the price, and since you said you're on a budget i think they are a good option for you.

also check out april 77 raw denim selection and keep an eye for sales this black friday

i have a pair of apc and i think they are good entry level denim so if you come across them for a decent price id recommend those

yeah i have a pair of 21oz irons heart they are thick as fuck lol

thanks for the tip
what if i just got a heavy pair of uniqlo selvedge jeans for example?

this is the only post in the thread worth reading

So what jeans do you guys wear?

ive had two pairs of uniqlo selvedge rip within a couple months of owning them, not worth it in my opinion senpai.

naked and famous are a good value and frequently on sale.

sure why not, uniqlo jeans are pretty decent

mainly apc i have about 4 pairs from them
raws,2 black pairs in different cuts and stone wash

i wear these the most.

i have a lot of acne studio denim i got lucky and found on sale, about 5 pairs. i don't think they are worth their retail price

i have some raw denim from 3sixteen,iron heart and apc

i have these really nice stone wash jeans from american apparel too i love them alot

i have one pair of light wash jeans from nudie wasn't to impressed by the construction

i got some dickies and cropped dress pants too

yeah thats about it

i really want some corduroys

i dont wear raws anymore because theyve never really had great options for women and im over fadez. i get waxed drkshdws exclusively

cuffed the space-time rift accidentally, of course

This is (partially) not true. Look up projectile looms.

What do you get done to your jeans when you take them to the tailor. I've never had any garment tailored, please explain the cost benefit.

probably just gets them hemmed to the correct inseam length. there's not much else you can do with jeans

Selvedge denim and all selvedge fabric in general has an edge that is finished by a machine, while "normal" fabric has an unfinished edge. Selvedge is used by a lot of people to determine the quality of denim (selvedge=high quality in their minds), but in reality, it doesn't really mean much. There are plenty of selvedge denim jeans that are poorly made, and there are plenty of non selvedge denim jeans that are really well made.

they are 9 oz which is about the same as most 511

Generally yes, but weave tension also factors into how thick the fabric is. Loosely woven denim will be thicker than tightly woven denim of the same weight per yard.

left field nyc chelseas for daily wear

nudie loose leif dry selvedge for comfy around the house pants

black levis 501 for work
ive also have uniqlo selvedge, nudie grim tims, APC new standard, levis tack made and crafted selvedge

but i rarely include them in rotation

what's your point? do you think this is new information for me or in any way contradicts my post?

good answer, i would only let it play a factor in your decision if you are planning on cuffing them constantly, which you should never do these days anyway

I thought 511 were more like 11 oz

cuffing as in the bottom of the legs? why shouldn't you do that? doesn't the dye leak onto your trainers otherwise

nudie is good, especially on sale. If you're not big into denim then don't worry about selvedge. Selvedge is better durability, tends to be better materials, but there's plenty of decent jeans that aren't selvedge.

>Go with APC
fuck no

>nudie is good
stop

i have a japanese selvedge denim jacket from gap that i copped at a thrift
just now getting some fades in
feels pretty good

I got a pair of grim tims for about 50 monies and I'm quite happy with them. Where I live levi's are two times this price

TOPMAN has some very nice thick selvedge for sale right now , in both black and indigo. £45 a pair with a choice of lengths. 20% discount code for black Friday also. It's a bargain, and I've had pretty much every brand of Japanese denim up to £350.

The denim is very nice, better than anything APC does desu.

then go for it :D

nudie or april77?

Those are in my price range, they often cost less than levi's here.

Both shit

alright, so my options atm are, the unbranded brand which are $100 a pair, uniqlo which are $50 a pair or asos and topman which are $56 a pair.

should I go with the unbranded brand or buy a cheaper pair and spend my money on tops and shoes, whats the best bang for my buck?

bump

plz help me

depends how skinny you are

good for the price range he's going for. Only other contenders for that price is Unbranded

nudie, april77 is shit tier