What city is the most Veeky Forums for exchange term

Gonna do an exchange term in one of these cities, which one is the coolest? I'm into photography, film, techno and music in general

San Diego, US
Leiden, Netherlands
Utrecht, Netherlands
Singapore
Perth, Australia
York, UK
Brighton, UK

I wanted to go to Berlin but they only offered courses in german

Being Dutch I only know Leiden and Utrecht. Leiden is more a rich spoiled brats student city afaik. I don't think you will feel at home there, based on your interests. Utrecht, Amsterdam and Rotterdam would be better choices.
Also check out Ghent, Belgium.

Not a bad list, I'd say LA at least deserves a spot in the top 5, even if it's mainstream more famous people live their than anywhere in the world, its Veeky Forums by default

where you from?

Utrecht looks comfy, googling it right now. I don't have the option of choosing an university which the faculty that I'm studying at doesn't have an exchange program with though.
What would you say is the general feel of Utrecht?
Can't choose universities outside my faculty's exchange program unfortunately. Do you know anything about San Diego?
Sweden. Grew up in Stockholm but living in a small but intense student city now close to Malmö, which has a great techno scene

Not Perth
Fuck off we're full

all boardshorts and oakley oil rig sunglasses or is it actually decent there

god damn
stay away from perth

Vienna, Austria. You'll love it

perth is shite for all those things
if you want to come to australia either to go sydney or melbourne

All courses exist in English too btw, at Uni Vienna

If you wanna photograph bogans come to Perth

alright, thanks

anyone know anything about Singapore? York, Brighton?

bump

>i'm into techno
>you'll love vienna
wat

Vienna isn't "classical music only". You'll find everything here, trust me

this guy isn't op because I am, but I can't apply to universities that my faculty doesn't have an exchange program with. Appreciate your ideas though

Utrecht is a comfier Amsterdam imo. I don't know if you've ever been to Amsterdam but it's very touristy and feels too "fast" for me. Utrecht is less touristy but more student-y. I don't know about the techno scene there, but it's only a half an hour train ride to Amsterdam anyway.

I'm not a student myself, and I don't live in these cities, so my thoughts are only based on visits. I'm jealous you're Swedish, studying here is fucking expensive.

Yeah we basically get paid to study, it's awesome. Move here, can't think of a better country really.
Utrecht doesn't seem to have the courses that I need in order to be able to do the exchange term thing without having to read up on things when I get back, would you say that it's worth to go to Leiden and try travelling by train to Utrecht and Rotterdam to experience the nightlife? Looked Utrecht up on residentadvisor and holy shit there's a lot going on there, aswell as in Rotterdam.

Aw that sucks. Hope you'll still visit some day.

Cheers dude, put a smile on my face

>Brighton, UK

How do i explain what Brighton is like... Well it has a reputation for being the gay capital of the UK. So OP would fit right in!
Kidding. When you actually go there, your more likely to find lots of music, drinks, perfomances and a festival atmosphere (And not that many gays). If your interested in acting and music and Britains history of entertainment (think BBC, Shakespear, The Beatles) then you should choose this. Brighton is the sort of place that the English go for a holiday that isnt outside of Britain.

Also while your in Britain you'll get a chance to learn, what can only be described as the way British people think. You'll get to understand things like irony and sophistry if you didnt understand them already. And if you did understand them already. Then you'll understand them better.

London is not very far away from Brighton and you could visit there easily if you can drive. Otherwise, i think there is a train. Trains are used allot more in Britian. Theres a connection to pretty much everywhere and people use it like catching a bus... in London.

If your not into the entertainment industry, then this isnt really for you.

shit that sounds cool

would you go there if you had the chance to do an exchange term there?

i live in vienna faggot. you'll find a techno night once every weeks at forelle and thats it.

San Diego is the New Orleans of California

Talking about techno, where's the best techno scene in Europe that's not Berlin?

London

Out of these options, the two Dutch cities are definitely the best. I'd go for Utrecht myself but if thats a problem for your study Leiden is fine too, they're really close anyway.

Around an Hour from Brighton to London if you get the fast train

san diego is good for music but none of that other stuff. impossible to navigate without a car

kek, kind of true somehow

Looks like I'm leaning against putting Leiden on the top of my list, Singapore second and Brighton third.

Any arguments for why I should change the order of the list up are welcome

Idk what everyone is on about. Obviously pick Singapore or Leiden if those are your only options.

Singapore is terribly effay, just prepare yourself for how suffocatingly hot and humid it is there. I did not think air could get that humid until I had a layover there. It's like standing above a steaming cup of coffee at all times

If you actually go to Leiden University it does have a good status and you could live in The Hague which is ok (I live there myself). I'm Dutch but can't really vouch for Utrecht as I've only been there a few times.

The Hague - Leiden is ten minutes by train, The Hague - Amsterdam is about 45 minutes. Personally I go out in Amsterdam most often, it's very do-able from The Hague.

Leiden itself has a lot of rich daddy money kids, and they're not at all the type of people I hang out with, that's why I decided to go live in The Hague as you've got a cool art academy there and I live with peeps who go there instead of living in Leiden where you're pretty much always likely to end up in a fraternity type of setting.

Making up my mind is so much easier when I can visualize what everything is like there, which is made possible with what you're writing. I think I'm going for Leiden in order to commute to Rotterdam and Utrecht by train when I want to see good music. I've never been in the fraternity type of setting and it can't hurt to try it out for a while, even though I'm pretty sure I won't like it in the long run. Could be fun for a short period.

Thank you for taking your time to type your thoughts out, really. It made a difference for me

>Ghent
>not Antwerp who has rich fashion history and great designers with good Techno scene

No problem man, Netherlands is really small, and the public transport is more than decent. Leiden-Amsterdam is also close enough, half an hour by train maybe, Leiden is just about right in the middle of Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Both have a pretty nice techno scene, De School and Radion and now Shelter in Amsterdam are similar to the clubs you'd find in Berlin. In The Hague there's Pip which is a nice club as well.

Leiden itself only really has student parties and those kind of creepy secretive frat parties (a mate of mine is a bartender in one of the frat clubs and he is legally bound to not say anything that happens over there and is not allowed to take pictures of the place). I also rarely see artists who tour there or whatever.

Is that so? Didn't know that it was that small. Getting excited about experiencing all of the Netherlands instead of just one city now. Hey why don't you hit me up with some way I can contact you when I'm going?

Yup it's deffo really small. The western part is where all the major cities are (apart from Eindhoven and Groningen maybe). West has Amsterdam, Utrecht, Rotterdam, The Hague all close enough. Instead of having one massive city that all combined is basically the pulse of the country. Amsterdam has the history and major airport, Rotterdam major port, and The Hague is where the government sits.

Like I said, I live in The Hague but I'm in Amsterdam very often for gigs, museums, art gallery openings just anything interesting really. Trains go often between the two cities (but only once an hour between 2:00 and 05:00 or something) so it's very easy to go out and not worry about your train or whatever. I've got one of those foldable bikes secondhand for €60, take it with me on train to Amsterdam/wherever I am and most times ride that in the city.

Here's a throwaway mail, if you send me something on it I'll send you something from my real e-mail acc: [email protected]

Don't go to York, I've been hear 2 and a bit years for uni and it's the fucking pits

Perth is a fucking odd choice; unless you're talking about Freo but still, strange

I went to Brighton for uni. Fucking great. I miss it a lot.

Good things:

Beach
Edgy as fuck
Fun
Big art/fashion schools so there's a decent trickledown effect and they throw rly good parties

downside is it's pretty expensive. but, still, fuck the netherlands. utterly the most boring shithole, makes stockholm look interesting

Antwerp is overrated

BUDAPEST. seriously underrated city. cheap as hell, great nightlife, beautiful. seriously I'm here for a year and couldn't be happier. decent location for travel too

I'll send you something! Cheers man

Had to send in my application 25 mins ago, might have put Brighton a notch higher if I had seen what you wrote an hour ago

I went with
1. Leiden, Netherlands
2. Singapore
3. Brighton

Reasoning as follows: really cool nightlife all around Leiden as well as absurdly good ratings on the university which has been attended by Spinoza, Einstein, Rembrandt among others. Opportunity to meet people who I identify and get along with.
Singapore because it's really different, but I'm not confident enough in that I'd like it to put it as my first choice
Brighton because it seems like a cool city overall

I'll go there this summer my man, would you recommend doing it while going around Europe by train? Cheap hostels etc?

Sandy Eggo or Singapore

yes doing it by train is easiest. hostels are cheap as hell I've had multiple friends visit me and find comfortable hostels. it will be nice in the summer weather wise

I live in Brighton. It's pretty cool here.