Your thoughts on askhistorians?

Your thoughts on askhistorians?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/top/?sort=top&t=all
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's reddit shit. What's going on the big thing of text?

>It's reddit shit
OK can you tell me why that's bad?

In my experience askhistorians is really good because the rules are very strict and you WILL have your post removed if it isn't well written and backed up with sources. Compare to here which is full of /pol/tards and commies trying to rewrite history and hoping no one notices.

I appreciate the need for rules, but things have gotten to the point where I simply can't get answers to more esoteric questions because there aren't enough experts and the people with peripheral knowledge don't know enough to make posts that don't break the rules. It was better before the 'more rules is better ' crowd took the helm. As it stands you can only get good answers for Western European and American history, Egyptology, and MAYBE some bronze age stuff. Interested in pre-Columbian civs, China, Africa, central asia, or other stuff like that? better hope that the one resident expert is awake.

Don't use it, but while they will know a lot, simply being a professional historian doesn't mean everything they say is 100% truth and gospel. History is 1% objective fact 99% interpretation

>OK can you tell me why that's bad?
It's reddit shit. If it's from reddit then it's automatically shit.
>In my experience askhistorians is really good because the rules are very strict and you WILL have your post removed if it isn't well written and backed up with sources. Compare to here which is full of /pol/tards and commies trying to rewrite history and hoping no one notices.
>going on reddit

Real epic bro. Good job proving my point.

What point? If you're from reddit why not fuck off to there? It's redditors like you that ruin boards, it ruined /v/, it ruined /pol/, ruining Veeky Forums and now I gotta deal with reddit fucks going on Veeky Forums?

It ruined what? Your ability to be racist, meme spouting retard without being called out?

>It ruined what? Your ability to be racist, meme spouting retard without being called out?
Enforced censorship is the most asinine thing. It kills shit by forcing "PC" shit down everyone throats. Disgraceful, I bet you're an atheist.

>commies rewrite history

Fuck off

I think it's really fucking cool and is moderated with an iron fist requiring sources and absolutely prohibiting anecdotal evidence.

Just take 10 min and look at some of the best threads of all time there: reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/top/?sort=top&t=all

If you're looking for history it's better than Veeky Forums. If you're looking for memes then this is the place, or even better /int/.

>actually posting reddit links
What the fuck are you doing?

Well played

LMAO HOLY SHIT KEK THIS IS EPIC THX FOR LINKING

it's good

Anybody who doesn't frequent that sub shouldn't be posting here

>has a massive filter highlighting it as an april fool's joke
>this must be what this place is really like

>unironically defending reddit
Why?

Pretty much.

Given the fact that it's hosted on /reddit/ it's probably cucked.

I've asked like 10 questions there and haven't gotten a single answer. Well, I got some answers but they were deleted before I could read them.

Its okay for SOME stuff, not all. Its very limited in content but has some sparse knowledge every so often. Otherwise, its just filtered shit.

As opposed to Veeky Forums which is unfiltered shit? I'd say their similar in terms of the amount of good stuff they have but they get rid of the bad stuff and even a lot of the mediocre stuff. This results in it being even slower and there being a lot less content in general but what content they do have is pretty good for and internet message board.

Veeky Forums = 100 good posts per day / 10,000 shit posts per day

reddit shit = 5 good posts per day / 0 shit posts per day

Overall, Veeky Forums is a much better resource.

Veeky Forums is much more productive because of its structure that is at the edge of chaos (maybe).
That means a lot of shit but also a ton of creativity.

AskHistorians would be higher on quality but lower on productivity.

I'd agree that Veeky Forums is better, but only if you're willing to do the digging for good posts. I'd also say the big difference is askhistorians doesn't settle for "good enough" posts. That results in a lot of ok posts being deleted and it makes it hard to find information on obscure topics where there isn't really an expert but a couple people may know a thing or two. I've seen more great posts there though than on Veeky Forums though

>Veeky Forums = 100 good posts per day /
>
>
>

I've been here for unhealthy amounts of time since the board started and I don't think I've seen 100 good posts in all that time.

here
I was going to point this out but I didn't want to be too argumentative. I think he might have been including mediocre posts that gave some information

This guy is a bait, and retarded grad students ITT fell for it.

Generally decent
Seen some questionable answers accepted as gospel there though

t. politburo

the big problem with it is that it's on reddit

and i don't mean this in a 'lel go back 2 plebbit' way

i mean that the concept of reddit and the concept of askhistorians go literally against each other and are mutually exclusive

one is about the hivemind upvoting what feels right / is a funny quip / looks correct / conforms to your thoughts or popular opinion / etc.

the other is about hard moderation and actual answers and sources

incidentally like says these two things inevitably have to clash sometimes, and a seemingly correct answer gets le upvoted and stays up for a couple of hours or days before someone who actually knows something comes along

they should just start their own site

Are you autistic?

My thought is this has nothing to do with history or the humanities.
Fuck off and advertise your dumb website somewhere else.

Lots of good, informative answers but half of them get deleted. I wish the mods would lighten up.

>I wish the mods would lighten up.
then you wouldn't have:
>Lots of good, informative

If you want discuss >holy roman empire, you post here. But if you want to learn actual history, it is a good place to read about.

>called out

Jesus christ

High quality of discourse, huh.

Why the fuck is this shill thread still here.

>reddit

Veeky Forums is good for historical banter, but if you want real answers go to /r/askhistorians

have you clicked the links or are you le memeing