Indo-European Languages

What are some non-indo-european influences on indo-european languages, and to what extent? Some languages seem like they've been rather true to their ancestor language, such as Russian and Hindu, whereas languages such as Norwegian and Gaelic seem further removed. What's a good place to start reading on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Spanish has a large influence from Arabic because of the Muslims who lived in the Iberian peninsula. The only example I have of its influence is with the word "Alcohol". Coming from the Arabic "al-cool". A decent portion of Spanish and Portuguese vocabulary comes from Arabic because of the presence of Arabs there. I'm sure there's other examples of these influences but I don't know of any other

Desu comes from Chinese

Kayak, hammock, coconut, curry, fork, zombie and bamboo. Of the top of my head

Phoenician gave the Greeks and Romans their alphabet.

balkaniggers may share some features from non-IE languages, though that's speculative

>look mom, I posted it again!
Except youre wrong lol

Fork is from latin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet
>It was derived from the earlier Phoenician alphabet,[3] and was the first alphabetic script to have distinct letters for vowels as well as consonants. It is the ancestor of the Latin and Cyrillic scripts.

Latin by extension is also derived from Phoenician.

Not him but what are you talking about? There is no question that latin and greek alphabets are derived from phoenician

Except every major expert on the subject of languages agrees that Latin and Greek are derived from far east origins, not fucking phoenicia, you retard. Please provide a source next time you try and post something against a commonly known thing among linguists.

Can you provide a source for this amusing claim that latin and greek come from the far east? Seeing as literally everyone other than you thinks it comes from pheonecian

Latin and Greek descend from PIE, that doesn't mean that they have to get their alphabet from Pakistan. Russia uses an alphabet invented by a greek, that doesn't mean old church slavonic has greco-roman origins.

Veeky Forums is too easy to troll.

what do you mean they've remained true to their ancestor language? do you mean proto-indo-european?
baltic languages have only 1 grammatical case less than PIE, so a lot of people will say "oh that means baltic languages are the most conservative indo-european languages," but really that's an illusion because baltic languages actually have regained like 3 cases or so in the past couple centuries.

Yeah, I mean PIE. Some languages have taken in a lot of non indo-European vocab, some have changed the grammar quite a bit, etc. Some, however, seem to be more of a conservative descendant.

To go off of this, IE languages influenced non-IE ones quite a bit. The Iberian peninsula is a beautiful example of this

Isn't venetic usually considered an italic language?
Why is it on its own?

Yes and the Phoenicians got their alphabet from cursive heiroglyphs.

if you're interested in historical linguistics look into sound change. regular sound change is the main driving force behind language change. morphological levelling via analogy is less significant, and things like semantic shift and borrowing lexical items play a peripheral role. the writing system employed by speakers of the language is totally irrelevant.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Medieval Venetian is a Romance language.

Bronze/Iron Age Venetic is not well attested, so is unclassified.