What was the worst sack, siege or massacre to have ever occured? In the mood for learning about the darker side of man...

What was the worst sack, siege or massacre to have ever occured? In the mood for learning about the darker side of man. I know of the sack of Magdeburg and Beziers and the massacre of Latins and Huguenots but what are some other incidents? Weren't there some pretty atrocious Chinese sieges?

Go ahead and call me edgy.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
youtube.com/watch?v=fYQK98d0wQM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Siege of Baghdad by Mongols.

montsegur

Sack of Constantinople

Baghdad, all of them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

That society needed nuked after that. Fucking burn them with plasma.

Chinese propaganda.

Except the most of the contemporary records of much of the brutality were from embedded Japanese journalists with the invading army. So, no.

The "Japs are cruel and inhuman" meme needs to die. As if there were no atrocities committed on the Eastern Front.

The Japanese soldiers were cruel and inhuman to the Chinese and Pacific islanders, man. It's not a meme. It's a statement of fact. You can't, in a right mind, make up some of the stories. It's really disrespectful to the victims to try to wash it away as propaganda or meme.

The only issue here really is the scale of what happened. To deny that other 'cultures' or peoples are just as capable of doing so (and indeed are culpable of having done so in the past events) is memetic racism no less. There was nothing unique about the Nanking massacre in comparison to any other recorded massacre throughout history throughout the world from Europe, America, Asia etc.

Other people did it in other time periods, so it was just an ok thing in the modern era? Ok. Cool story, bro. Excuse me while I don't take your word for it. Isolated psychopaths in a conscripted army is one thing, they had competitions like baseball stats who could kill more people with swords and made games of throwing infants and toddlers in the air to catch them on bayonets.

Stick your head in the sand and go play hide and go fuck yourself.

Of course they did horrific things but people always act more shocked at the Japanese cases I.e. Unit 731. It seems like Japanese atrocities are attributed to 'Asian character' rather than militarism.

Carthage was completely destroyed and all of its citizens were either killed or sold into slavery.

In my opinion it was probably the isolationism. Everyone was probably pretty brutal when they closed the borders, not to mention Japan kept warring amongst itself for a long time.

Dunno if it could be considered "massacre", since it was mostly soldiers in a battle, but yeah...

>Just read for the first time about Unit 731

Fucking fuck. And someone's mad the USA nuked them a couple times? Fuck. you.

That thing with throwing infabts on bayonets was also recorded from the magdeburg massacre but with pikes.

Either, toddler throwing is so much fun that radically different cultures at different times in history came up with it spontanically or it is a thousand year old cataloge smearing tactic.

Both of these answers are intruiging.

"In addition to Chinese casualties, 1,700 Japanese in Chekiang were killed by their own biological weapons while attempting to unleash the biological agent, which indicates serious issues with distribution."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Fucking lol.

If I was going to be angry at the US it would be for giving Unit 731 personnel immunity after the war.

Sack of Baghdad. To this day, the city hasn't fully recovered. In that sense, it was worse than Hiroshima.

Maybe not the worst, but the Roman Siege of Jerusalem was pretty atrocious, not even because of the Romans, but because of the zealots who were commanding the defense
>Literally destroy their own food stores because they think that by doing so they can evoke a miracle by God
>The citizens trapped inside the city started eating their children
>Meanwhile the city isn't even being defended by one group of united Jews, but by a variety of groups who each are fighting both themselves as well as the Romans
>Zealots use boiling oil for the first recorded time (apparently) and this pisses the Romans off so much that they don't listen to their orders to preserve famous buildings and structures and just burn everything and kill everyone
>Then afterward the soldiers torture the Zealots to get all their secret jewish gold and the amount that is found and put into circulation ruins the surrounding areas economy for 15 years.

Warsaw uprising

Cholula, 6000 men women and children, just one of many during the conquest. I forgot the name of a small nahua city that happened to be on the way after La noche triste. The spanish after being defeated in the noche triste episode and retreating found a city and acording to their sources they killed everyone in it and burned it to release their feelings of frustration.

>>Then afterward the soldiers torture the Zealots to get all their secret jewish gold and the amount that is found and put into circulation ruins the surrounding areas economy for 15 years.

Isn't more gold a good thing?

They dindu nuffin.

When everyone is carrying a sack full of gold you average baker charges 10 times more for a piece of bread. Essentially, a single gold coin is worth 10 times less now. Inflation is a bitch.

But wouldn't it be just short time hyperinflation that wipe out your savings clean and then you earn normal rates?

Tell that to Spain

Pretty sure Cholula is that vampire themed cereal and not a siege.

Not really. Think of it this way. You pay the baker a large amount of money for a piece of bread. The baker pays the tailor, who has also increased his prices, for a new coat. The tailor pays someone else and on and on. The gold stays in circulation. Maybe the gold you paid ends up coming back to you and the cycle starts anew.

It's not that your average peasant has more gold. It's that there's more gold in the general area. The value of money is not how much you have, but how much of it you have.

Siege of Leningrad. The things people do when they are starving are the most brutal.

>>Meanwhile the city isn't even being defended by one group of united Jews, but by a variety of groups who each are fighting both themselves as well as the Romans

Gee what modern group does this remind me of.

Palmyra was pretty bad. Some quick background/story time for why the Romans were pissed off:
Odaenathus was a preeminent leader of the city during Rome's Crisis of the Third Century and was basically a total bro that fought the Persians while the Emperor was busy fighting usurpers or barbarian invaders. He was given significant autonomy over the provinces he was directly defending but it was contingent upon the fact that the Empire was stretched very thin dealing with so much shit hitting the fan.
When Odaenathus was assassinated with the Persians beaten back his wife Zenobia ruled through her son over the areas he defended. Aurelian, the Emperor at the time, saw that as an insult that she would assume that the emergency powers Odaenathus wielded were going to be hereditary. Aurelian defeated the Palmyrene armies who took over Egypt and parts of Anatolia, had Zenobia taken prisoner and her preeminent generals executed, and marched on to Palmyra.
The city capitulated immediately but after Aurelian turned around the surviving officials thought it would be cool to rebel again. Aurelian returned pissing fury and he razed the city to the ground. The most valuable monuments were taken by the emperor to decorate his Temple of Sol Invictus, buildings were smashed, people were clubbed and cudgeled and Palmyra's holiest temple pillaged. Many residents of the city were forced to vacate and it never again became anything more than a minor outpost against raiders.

When fedoras destroyed Vendée because they refused to close down their churches.

Atheists and deists are savages.

Christ almighty, was the friend alive? also where did this take place?

Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

300000 people turned to dust in a moment. The greatest moment in history, according to Truman.

Tyre got heem'd pretty bad after dumping molten sand on Alexander's troops

had it coming tbqh

jews got what they deserved

the tyrians had it coming, to clarify

By sheer scale the damage and loss of life caused by the atomic bombs are dwarfed by earlier allied firebombing.

youtube.com/watch?v=fYQK98d0wQM

He contracted the plague.

Yes, people get mad at the strategic targeting of civilians in war. That doesn't mean the US was definitively wrong, but if you can't distinguish between the idea of bombing "Japan" for terrible crimes and that of bombing a random Japanese child for the same crimes, then you've failed to understand why these are such emotional issues.

>The migrant situation in Europe, slow but steady.

Don't bomb middle eastern countries if you don't want refugees dumb ass

Europe said yes, but they never said how many or for how long.
]
>I f they said enough is enough no more refugees , they would still keep coming. Then what??

And they are not refugees, hope that I am wrong. But thankfully I don't live in Europe.

Yes you are %100 right about the bombings.

Americans bombs and Europeans get refugees.

>we bombed syria

k