What was exactly his masterplan...

What was exactly his masterplan? Replace ancient ruling dynasties with his own relatives in the name of revolution and freedom?

crashing europe

>in the name of revolution and freedom?
nah

>What was exactly his masterplan?
Survival. Other than the Russian invasion (which could easily be argued as a pre-emptive war) and the Spanish invasion (probably his only full-retard grand strategy decision) he never declared any war. All the great Coalition Wars were declared by a coalition member.

The fact that he was the last hope of the revolution probably played a big role in him being accepted as emperor by both the masses and the revolutionairies.

He was more pragmatic than the first hour jacobins, but it's not like he was disloyal to the Revolution in its entirety. In fact, many of his laws and institutions (some of which survive to this very day!) had their philosophical foundations and justification in the revolution.

with no survivors

What about the conquest of egypt?
Didnt he do that for glory alone?

>What about the conquest of egypt?
You mean the one he abandoned so he could become Consul?

I could never understand why so many people in the english speaking world associate Bonaparte with the Revolution so much when he simply became the new king of France, even though he understandably avoided the title. The revolution was little more than a good opportunity for him. And as far as i understand, even his propaganda was more about 'make France great again' than about continuing this bloody mess of a revolution.

To prevent everyone stop trading with the brits. Prevent it with cannons.

>I could never understand why so many people in the english speaking world associate Bonaparte with the Revolution so much
How about you actually bother reading Voltaire? The same Voltaire who argued for Enlightened Despotism because he distrusted the masses? The same Voltaire with whom Napoleon, in his own words, saw himself agreeing more and more over time while disagreeing with the republican Rousseau more and more?

Remember that Napoleon did not rule by the Grace of God but by the will of the people and the constitution. That alone made him impossible to tolerate for the Ancien Regime nations.

Wasn't he "just" a general and not in charge of France when he invaded Egypt?

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would depose a king, before guillotining him.

>Remember that Napoleon did not rule by the Grace of God but by the will of the people and the constitution. That alone made him impossible to tolerate for the Ancien Regime nations.
He did not rule by the grace of god but wanted the pope at his coronation. He ruled by the will of the people but was not elected and established a dictatorship. The 'Ancien Regime nations' ( i will assume you mean the european monarchies) did not tolerate him but he married the daughter of the emperor of Austria. I think you may be oversimplifying a thing or two here m8.

Maybe he tried to justify himself using Voltaire, but that doesn't mean he shared much of the ideas of the original french revolution, which wasn't exactly about enlightened despotism.

Goods from British India pass through Egypt to get to Britain. Taking Egypt forces Indian goods to take longer routes to get to Britain.

>but wanted the pope at his coronation
Mostly to mimic Charlemagne, as well as to more or less mend relations between the church and the revolution (which has been part of his policy since the 1801 Concordat) and even then he did not kneel before the pope but crowned himself. Some people even considered this insulting to the pope. This in no way implies a religious justification for his sovereignity.

>He ruled by the will of the people but was not elected
Except he literally was, nigger. He held a Constitutional Referendum.

>The 'Ancien Regime nations' ( i will assume you mean the european monarchies)
I meant exactly what I said

>did not tolerate him but he married the daughter of the emperor of Austria
In 1810. After Napoleon had invaded and occupied Vienna. TWICE. And forced Austria into an alliance that heavily favored France. And even then he only divorced Josephine because she could not give him the heir he desired.

>I think you may be oversimplifying a thing or two here m8.
I think it's painfully obvious that you're ignorant of the facts here.

>Maybe he tried to justify himself using Voltaire, but that doesn't mean he shared much of the ideas of the original french revolution, which wasn't exactly about enlightened despotism.
Are you serious? Voltaire and Rousseau were the Enlightenment. If half of the enlightenment argues for enlightened despotism, then it suddenly isn't part of the Revolution. For fucks sake, do you know even the slightest bit about France's post-revolutionary history? It was entirely centered around the struggle between Voltaire and Rousseau, between Republic and Enlightened Despotism. This has led the poltiical debate from 1814 until 1871, and it was only the Belle Époque that truly cemented Republicanism in France.

Egypt was the first step in a scheme to eventually march on India, even at that early stage Napoleon realized the greatest enemy of France was England, all the continental powers could be (and were) subdued but English money kept propping them up every time. India was England's biggest moneymaker, cutting their purse-strings could've been strategically decisive.

The Directorate ruled France at the time and had supported Napoleon's proposal to hit Egypt and eventually India as a means to fight the English, unfortunately the Royal Navy sank those ambitions at the Nile and ultimately Boney hit a stone wall at Acre and was forced to pull back, lacking supplies, reinforcements or any hope of either thanks to the British blockade.

Bonaparte told the pope to go fuck himself? I can dig it.

Egyptian Campaign was Napoleon's idea. He was copycatting Alexander.

>He held a Constitutional Referendum.
What about referendums in Italy, Spain and Netherlands? Were such arranged?

What is even your point?

I think it was staged, so it probably wasn't supposed to be so offensive for the Pope.

>>He ruled by the will of the people but was not elected
>Except he literally was, nigger. He held a Constitutional Referendum.
He did. A constitutional referendum, as you say, and not an election. There were no other candidates, in fact it wasn't even about being candidate to anything. The question was: do u liek my new constitution lol? And that was after his coup of 18 brumaire. And the results were 99,9% of yes. Nothing suspect here. Is this what you call an election? Is this a proper way to tell what 'the will of the people' is ?

Also, calm down. Nobody wants to hurt you.

The Emperor had no known "masterplan".
Only after 1805 did he attempt to enforce his continental system, an embargo against Britain.

This was a failure.

He had no grand plan to conquer or Occupy Europe.

His desire to be a counter force to the British Empire was the most general goal.

To extend the French borders and make sure the French lived happily

Crashing this continent, with no survivors.

There is absolutely no doubt that Napoleon believed in the revolution's ideas. He wrote the French civil code after all and most of it is still in use today.

To defeat the eternal Anglo

End the tyranny of britian once and for all

>He wrote the French civil code.
No, he didn't wrote it, he only signed it.

>What was exactly his masterplan?

Smashing the thousand year empire of the Roman Catholic church and their European ruling family lackies to bring on the NEW WORLD ORDER.

lrn2 Bavarian Illuminati

yeah but what exactly were the Revolution's ideals besides "Old regime bad, smash destroy Old Regime"
Didn't they go through like 10 different constitutions before Napoleon became emperor?

I wass always under the impression that he does it to push the odea that he has divine right and is ultimately above the power of the church

shut it down

At the time of the Referendum none of the countries you named were under direct french rule so that's quite irrelevant.

Not the user you are responding to but you are truly a pedantic shitter

>Under his direct supervision the civil code was written.

Is this better?

what's wrong with invading and conquering spain and portugal?
portugal is one of the best strategical places to have in geographical terms and without spain tamed you would never be able to rest peaceful since they share borders with france.

Spain was literally his ally and had both spanish kings, father and son, as prisoners in France. No point on invading to put your brother.

This can't be happening! I'm in charge here!

>Smashing the thousand year empire of the Roman Catholic church and their European ruling family lackies to bring on the NEW WORLD ORDER.
Doesn't sound bad desu.

Something beautiful.

He was sent to Egypt.

It was a trick to put him far of the power.

That's because you're a Jacobin leftist.

Many people worked on this code, but Napoleon gave it his own name, so some not historically educated people may think he wrote it alone. When first issued in 1804 it was called Civil Code, but in 1807 changed to Napoleonic Code. Looks like he took all the credit.

Establishing a Jewish homeland in Palestine, which he briefly established in 1799, and unleashing the Jewish plague from the quarantine in the ghettos.

The Chosenite is truly eternal.

This man became a symbol of egoism for many following generation. Anyone searching for non-egoistical motives in his actions is too naive or devil's advocate.

The United States of Europe.