My father was attracted to a sect (eastern orthodox christianism)...

My father was attracted to a sect (eastern orthodox christianism), and I'd want to help him to return to his normal life, because all his changes are being destructive for his immediate family (I don't live with him). Also, he's all day like "jews are the problem" and he turn mad everytime he see a rainbow, because "that's the symbol of the faggots, and we should kill them all" (avoid the memes, please). He's serious about this, guys. The last time I tried to talk to him, he invited a priest to his home to help him to convert me.

Could you give me some useful info and arguments to take him out? Anthropology of religion arguments are especially welcome (he really suffered when the priest confirmed him that the bible he carry is not valid).

Other urls found in this thread:

lairdwilcox.com/news/hoaxerproject.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Talk to his priest.

I bet you'd have sects with her, if you know what I mean

Orthodoxy or death you degenerate faggot

Orthodoxy isn't a sect.

>(he really suffered when the priest confirmed him that the bible he carry is not valid).
How is a Bible suddenly 'not valid'?

He probably had a Protestant Bible that he got from the local wally world.

>Protestant bible
What makes a bible "Protestant"?

>sect

Eastern Orthodoxy has over three hundred million believers.

Presumably he means something like the NIV or the Message translations.

Most Protestants translations aren't that bad, but newer ones tend to be awful.

I see. I've just heard someone refer to a bible as Protestant.

So... Is the pic related?

I find myself conflicted. Your family did not interact and form a strong enough spiritual bond with your father. Now, a perfectly valid religious and spiritual group has usurped your (supposedly heretofore non-existent) spiritual relationship with him. You are now coming here, to the cesspool of logical religious thought, to ask us, SERIOUSLY, to ask US what you should do.
I am tempted to continue my banter and ridicule you more, but you need professional help. Whether psychiatric or clergy, find help, because we can not provide you with the advise you are looking for.

Some Bibles are definitely Protestant translations, just like there are definitely Jewish translations of the Old Testament. A Protestant translation, however, doesn't make a Bible "invalid" to the Orthodox Church.

>So... Is the pic related?
Yes that's his dad.

there is a lot of info on extremist groups and the psychology and tactics they use to ensnare people like this

lairdwilcox.com/news/hoaxerproject.html

I'm not sure exactly how best to approach this, but it is best to avoid using memes, rhetoric and "trigger" words or in his mind you will become "them" in his "us versus them" mentality. If you start talking like a typical liberal then he is less likely to take you seriously in the future.

It might be best to avoid arguments about superficial ideology and focus instead on more practical things such as whether they are asking him for money or how the emotions and stress are affecting him using more plain language. This will make sure what you are saying is new to him so he will think about it properly rather than rely on any thought-stopping cliches that he has been drilled to believe. Also talking about these things will help him spot the "red flags". Extremists have to reveal their true goals to their followers eventually and it can be blatantly obvious if they know what to look for.

If you want to talk about ideology, try to separate the good from the bad rather than fall into the trap of viewing them as the same thing then attacking the bad only for him to believe you are attacking the good.

See pic related.

>So... Is the pic related?
Nope. I just wanted to attract your attention.

Pretty useful, thanks. I'd like to draw attention to the fact that he's giving a lot of money. Every time he give money for the collection plate, paying 20€ for a blessing (I think it's over the market price), and the fact that he's helping to build the new church for free in his little free time instead of spending it with his daugther.

He's the kind of guy who is abusive with women, thinks that everybody is stupid excepting him, and denies the truth until the end, only for pride.

>See pic related
Orthodox don't see themselves as the a subdivision of the Church, the entirety of the Church.

> paying 20€ for a blessing
Blessings aren't sold.

Just join ur based father, hes trying to save u you cunt.

*but as the entirety

> Paying 20€ for a blessing
Last time someone did something like that, a guy named Luther became concerned. One thing lead to another and the 30 year war happen.

ask an actual professional, not a bunch of pseudointellecual teenagers on the Internet

With that logic, all branches of christianity are sects depending on where in the world you live.

I think this sounds healthy for him and you shouldn't interfere. Orthodox Christians tend to have very sound values and are largely untouched by ideological corruption.

>"jews are the problem"
he's partially right. but the problems with the sects is that they agree with all your beliefs no matter how stupid or far-fetched they are, making you feel accepted when pretty much no one else in society wants to even hear about dissident thoughts because seeing things outside their dome would shatter their perfect world and that would be too much for the common person to accept.

so if you want to be useful you might want to try the a method that works fine with addictive behaviors and change this activity with a new one... do something with him: go for a stroll, ride a bike, go to a museum, doesn't matter and let him talk while offering him some contradictory rethoric; starting by saying little and hearing much and then gradually start doing the exact opposite.

but a global truth in my opinion is that people adhering to sects are usually lonely and need someone to talk to without having people rolling their eyes or threating as madmen

*treated

introduce him to /pol/

Just join your father already. Orthodox Christianity is the true Christianity.

user's father hasn't really discovered Orthodox Christianity if he's saying things like "kill all faggots", and thinks of that when he sees a rainbow instead of the Covenant with Noah.

And? How they see themselves doesn't matter, they are a sect by definition.

Seems like late onset schizophrenia

hot

The follower population doesn't matter. There are over 1 billion Sunnis, but they're still just a sect of Islam.

What books are in it, certain translations etc.
NOT TO MENTION THE CANON, come on, you're slipping girl.

>See pic related.
You do realise that Catholicism splinted from Christianity and formed their own church. Orthodox Christians call themselves Christians since they didn't splint from anything they were as the Holy Emperor Constantine (the father of European chistianity) imagined it, the Catholics are called the latin heresy.

t. Protestant

What is christianity if not a jew sect supposedly created by Jesus?

Remind him that getting mad at rainbows is getting mad at one of the symbols God gave humanity as a promise to never flood the world again.

Hate faggots not the rainbow.

Tell him to stop browsing /pol/ and realize that Jesus and the Apostles are all Jews

OP here. I already told him that Jesus was a jew too, but he said something like "jews are bad because they killed Jesus".

Your father is right
Now fuck off faggot

What about you become tolerant of his beliefs? After all, it's his choice, and it's yours to accept it or wrestle with it.

Ask him about James and him doing all the laws of the torah like circumcision.

Kill yourself

I thought it was clear. I would have let him destroy his life if that wouldn't affect others, but (without giving more details), there's a woman and a little girl suffering all this shit.

They aren't suffering

What's wrong with that?

It's widely accepted that the early Christians were divided into the Jew camp and Gentile camp which is why they had to hold the whole Council of Jerusalem to settle this.

The New Testament is legitimately an anti-semetic book if you read the gospel of John. Most interpretations tend to square dance around, dropping the John narrative the moment it gets dirty and focusing on the narration of the other gospels.

Most of the homophobic parts come from Paul and it's a none issue in the other parts.

I would reccomend taking his mind off it by getting him involved in real life

>The New Testament is legitimately an anti-semetic book
Why isn't this mentioned more often?

I'm surprised at least one Veeky Forums user reproduced.

No, all other Christians are. The Christian Church is what was established by Christ, not whoever claims the term.

Still a sect.

Sunni and Shia are both sects of Islam, yet both of them claim to be the legit teaching of Muhammad. At least one Muslim sect out there is probably right in claiming that but it doesn't make them any less of a sect.

Suppose you found an organization called, "The Elaborate Society". And then 1500 hundred years after you found it, other people claim to be the "TRUE Elaborate Society". Does your society become merely a subdivision of the Elaborate Society? No, it's the original society, not a subdivision of said society.

Yes, it is a sect of The Elaborate Society.
Definition
>a group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.

In the greater whole of The Elaborate Society branches the original is still but another subgroup.

No, it's the original Elaborate Society. It's not a division of the Elaborate Society, just because other people make replicas of it, anymore than England becomes a "section" off England because someone names their island "England" and says it is the legitimate England and the other England is not the real England.

It is. If you take a cake and cut it in two then both halves are divisions of the original cake, even if put mayo on one half making it a worse cake the unadulterated portion is still but a division of the original.

>their island "England" and says it is the legitimate England and the other England is not the real England.
Because that's not what happened in Christianity. Originally Orthodoxy and Catholicism were the same sect and thus divided, some dudes in Western Europe just didn't decide to plagarize shit and claim to be the true church.

On the other hand if England split in half ala East and West Germany neither side would be the one true England nor would the other be a feeble imitation of England. They would both simply be divisions of the original country.

>With that logic, all branches of christianity are sects depending on where in the world you live.
All branches of christianity are sects, by definition. As are all branches of all religions. I didn't know the word sect became a trigger word.

>I think this sounds healthy for him and you shouldn't interfere.
It really doesn't, he sounds like he's losing his mind.

>Orthodox Christians tend to have very sound values and are largely untouched by ideological corruption.
Bullshit

Sounds like your dad is based and you are a little cuck brainwashed by the TV.

Sometimes I really wish that I was able to believe in religions to find some comfort in them.

Your father is not believing an extreme religion. So just let him live far from society and be happy.

Also I would marry the grill in your pic.

So does that means that classical economics is the only real economics and all the other sects are inauthentic?

No, if half the FBI broke away and became involved in organized crime and formed a mafia called the FBI, the real FBI does not become a "sect" of the FBI.

So, your dad is using religion to justify his cuntishness.

You can either talk to his priest, or his wife to educate her on her options to leave your dad. He sounds like an awful person to be around.

The FBI is not a religion.

You are also arguing from an extremely sectarian standpoint, half proving the point that Orthodoxy is a sect.

Kill all /pol/ christfag roleplayers. Take OP seriously please. His dad needs help. Personally my own family was only vaguely protestant and when others were into those cult-like churches i avoided them like the plague, so unfortunately I have no relevant advice to give.

Shut the fuck up /pol/ seriously. You arent funny.

Anons pls remember:

There's nothing wrong with what he is doing and the KJV bible isn't valid.

Missing old testament books

Your dad sounds like a good cunt. listen to him you faggot

Tell him that being Christian is about being a good person and loving god & other people

Luther removed books from the Canon.

He wanted to remove even more from the new testament but other protties stopped him.

I'd engage in sectarian violence with her, if you know what I mean.

>jews are the problem
listen to your father, he knows best

OP again.

Ex-drunkard, beaten my mother for years, didn't recognised me as his son when I was born...

Recently, I went once with him to the church (under coaction), and he started screaming when I said I'm not going to put money on the collection plate.

I could follow.

>You can either talk to his priest
He's not better, but actually agrees with my father.

Actually I tried to make him see the difference between "jew" and "guy with money who rules the world", and how each religion promotes hate against the other one.

>tfw no dad that somehow looks like a qt3.14

>Run (aka move away)
>learn to feign really well and don't care
>fight the fight with you father and family

choose one, either way, you will have to adjust in some way. but I don't see any hopes in changing the pov of a father.
I have a similar history with my family and I fought and am still fighting the fight. I think I lost more than I won but at least most of my relatives respect me for holding up against.