How does it make you feel that future generations from now will view media such as pic related as being accurate...

How does it make you feel that future generations from now will view media such as pic related as being accurate portrayals of history, or, at least, how people in our time viewed the past?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1gVB4N9Kl9Q?t=2m46s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People are stupid as fuck now, what makes you think it'll get any better?

Was a great flick by the way.

A lot of people on this board are progressives and think modern times are the most enlightened and peaceful age in all of history and life will only get better in future.

My big
Black
Dingus

feels pretty bad desu. but then again there are people right now who think pic related is what people in the 1960s believed so it wouldn't be the worst example

I don't think I've met anyone who actually thinks Tarantino makes historically accurate films.

It's been apparent since I.B. that he makes revisionist crowd-pleasers where the historical baddies get their comeuppance.

Hateful Eight is different than I.B. and Django, though, in that H8 focuses exclusively on bad people, from different perspectives. Every single person in that room is a shithead and deserves to die. That's the point of the movie.

I don't think I've heard anyone on this board use those exact words, But I'll bite and say that modern times are comparatively peaceful, statistically-speaking.

I don't know anything about enlightenment.

I do know technology will eliminate the vast majority of labor needs and that society will need to stop penalizing people for unemployment if we are to continue """progressing""".

I don't. I think its about the same not better or worst. It's not good to romanticize the past either.

we wuz dings

>penalizing unemployment
You get rewarded for your accomplishments, not punished for being an unproductive shithead. It is the guiding principle behind societal progression.

I guess the guy you're quoting was right.

O.B wasn't bad. The old general wasn't bad. The sherrif wasn't bad. John Ruth wasn't bad.

>black union major
>confederate general doesn't even have a southern accent

pure cuckold fantasy. No wonder QT writes all of his scripts by hand, you need both hands to type.

>cuck

Have any of his films every claimed to be historical?

>"The film that I ended up making ends up being a really serious examination of both the Civil War and the post Civil War survivors. But I really was coming more from a mystery angle, creating a little Agatha Christie thing. That was what got me putting pen to paper. Obviously, I knew I was going to deal with the Civil War. But I didn’t know it would end up being so serious when it came to that issue."

How in the world is this film a 'cuckold' fantasy as you put it? I thought it was a great film. Ennio's score was really enjoyable too.

We humans are incapable of full enlightenment, our is simply not capable of it, we will always have a memetic view of reality. Humans are full of cognitive biases :DDD

And some people do not have the interest or the time to have a more accurate view of the world

Yes, the general was.
Yes, the sherrif was.
John Ruth certainly was.
O.B. (the coach driver?) is the only one for whom a case can be made.

Listen. I'm not talking about the lazy leeches.

What I mean by penalizing unemployment is there will come a time, within the next couple of centuries, when technology in the hands of corporate interests will erode the vast majority of all jobs, including ones that previously required college degrees.

Every time we fill out a captcha we're training A.I. to do jobs that were traditionally "white collar." They will soon able to recognize discrete entities in 2D representations of 3D space and suck up a lot of data entry jobs.

There is even the expansion of a practice called metaprogramming wherein the work of programmers is largely eliminated in favor of automating systems to program apps to tackle certain problems, abstractly laid out by software developers.

Taking all these things into account, the erosion of hard labor, then of soft labor, and the automation of tasks that were once proof of human merit, there will be a large number of unemployed people, and fewer jobs available than ever. Even the pursuit of higher education will not guarantee a job, and will instead guarantee a chance at a job, like getting to enter a raffle or something. Many of the jobs left will be superficial self-justifying bureaucratic positions, like a pile of people jumping on a life boat.

Once we are at this stage, if society keeps letting the unemployed (a gradually larger class) fall into lower social strata, the people will be unable to fulfill their own needs, and so will develop luddite sentiments and rebel. Violently.

Or, we can set up nation states that will help the transition into a post-scarcity world where everyone is part of the leisure class, everyone has their basic needs fulfilled, and climbing the social ladder just means you did things when you didn't have to.

The more states that do this, the more successful humanity will be. If only a few states do this they'll suffer from immigration overload and will become unsustainable.

>How does it make you feel that future generations from now will view media such as pic related as being accurate portrayals of history, or, at least, how people in our time viewed the past?

>implying people haven't been doing that for thousands of years already

Pop culture of the times always influences how people will look back except for the learned.

The general was a bystander who didn't even get out of his chair once. His only crime was not caring. The sherrif said nigger a few times, does that mean he deserved to die for being politically incorrect? John Ruth was just doing his job just like O.B., none of them deserved to die.

The general fought to keep blacks in chains.

The sheriff was a Machiavellian bitch.

John Ruth was Ruthless when he didn't need to be (smashing the guitar), and let his own prisoner outsmart him multiple times.

People are on average better educated than they've ever been. There's also a lot more people, so we've probably got a larger population of fucking idiots than ever before.

We'll always have fucking idiots.

O.B isn't actually part of the Eight.

I think H8 biggest crime is that its how the solution for the mystery is considered either boring or cheating.

H8's "Everyone is guilty" is frankly boring compared to Agatha's "Murder on the oriental express"

Just yesterday I watched Django Unchained and made me want to know more about how slaves in the US were actually treated and punished in general.
Anyone know a good book or other source?

>as being accurate portrayals of history

Not gonna happen, the present loves to call the past retarded and laugh at how they know better.

>at least, how people in our time viewed the past

I'll say it's representative of the vision of the past of a significant and influential amount of americans.

>How in the world is this film a 'cuckold' fantasy as you put it?

Tarantino puts his own narration on top of a scene for no reason other than being able to say "black cocks in white mouths".

>caring about black unemployment
>bad

Jeff Davis was the last prez who cared about the black man.

Can't really say a specific book, but taking from multiple sources, I'd say it varied depending on the owner of the slave and the particular slave's temperament.

Some slaves were basically worked to death, seen as replaceable parts in the machine. Sometimes this worked ok when the slave was completely unaware of better ways and thought it was just life, but some got smart and didn't work all that hard, preferring to take their lashings than to contribute to their master fully. A lot of times, this sort of practice became more trouble than it was worth, especially when your cook starts putting glass in your food and workers "accidentally" set fire to shit.

On the other end of the spectrum, some slaves were treated fairly well, and worked hard for their master because they had three square meals a day, a roof over their head, and didn't have to worry about anything outside of work. The problem here is that sometimes the slaves would get lazy from lack of motivation, which caused a regression back to more draconian punishments. The only real downsides for the slaves here were that they were tied to the land like serfs and denied access to education for the most of them unless their job needed it.

Once slavery was done away with, the freed slaves usually had a rough go of things. They were free to work wherever they wanted, but there was a huge glut of labor in comparison to what was needed. Wages were low, land and housing was too expensive for them, it was difficult to provide for their families, so they wound up just going right back to de facto slavery, except worse than it was previous. This would persist for some time until things evened out a bit, and then there was the problem of white employers wanting to hire white men for jobs before blacks.

Are you seriously THAT fixated on black dick? Nigga you're gay as hell.

I felt the general was the only unequivocally bad character - the rest had ups and downs and ethical development. Not only was the general a coward, he used his one moment of bravery in the film to try to shoot the Major.

Very critical to include that after Reconstruction ended the southern states' Jim Crow laws rebuilt the strict caste system. Freedmens woes were due to legal/political reasons as much as economic ones.

lol
yeah ok
haha

I'd say it wasn't even just at the legal/political level, but at the personal level.

Even today, if a small business has two equally qualified applicants, one white and one black, the majority of the time they're going to choose the one that matches their race. There's no mechanical reason to do so, it's simply that people prefer the familiar to the unfamiliar. That being human nature, it probably won't ever change, which is why steps are taken in the modern era to help mitigate that.

Another interesting thing to mention is the tendency of slaves to separate into strata of "field" and "house" slaves, though Django does show this directly with its sycophantic "House Slave" villain played by SLJ.

Field slaves often resented house slaves, and vice-versa. One group got righteous indignation, physical fitness, but the short end of the labor stick.

The other got the easier job, but were viewed as soft sycophants by the field slaves who often outnumbered them.

Last season of Game of Thrones had a scene that surprised me where a tutor slave approaches Daenarys to ask if he can be a slave again.

Daenarys, being the medieval SJW basically, is completely confused as to how this man could possibly prefer teaching rich noble children to being out on the street with no job. Was surprised they "went there."

Has it ever occured to you that Tarantino is merely trolling the butthurt conservative reactionaries in the audience, to prove that they are just as capable of getting offended as the SJWs they love to bring up constantly?

>It is the guiding principle behind societal progression.
>Societal progression
You're as bad as the people he was complaining about

Can you please stop misusing the word reactionary to mean "shit I don't like"?

Well Tarantino sure is. I'm not sure why he's so fucking obsessed with blacks, all of his movies involve flamboyantly black characters and "nigger" is like the most common word in his work. It got so annoying that even many blacks like Spike Lee started bitching about this blaxploitation shit.

He gets attacked by the left for saying nigger more than he gets attacked by the right for anything. I doubt even think right wingers watch Tarantino movies.

>I'm not sure why he's so fucking obsessed with blacks
Italian from new york. Niggers are the most curious creature to italians. Almost human but that last step towards humanity is never crossed

people already have a completely fucked view of history, all this WE WUZ and MUH ROOTS bullshit is evidence enough of that

then you have cucklords like John Green pushing the anti-european agenda, and marxist buffoons creating all these myths about prior experience

H8 reminded me how much I like women with New Zealand accents

I know at least a couple

He grew up in LA, not New York.

> MUH ROOTS

That Roots book sevely distorted people's view on the Atlantic slave trade, thanks to that retarded book people now think whites literally used to wander off to the jungle and catch blacks with mosquito nets.

Doesn't make him a bad man though.

By that logic Lee should've been strung up along with Pike and the others

>I'm not sure why he's so fucking obsessed with blacks

his mom was a whore coalburner and he's felt black ever since.

youtu.be/1gVB4N9Kl9Q?t=2m46s

> He doesn't understand how declining prices due to automation will lead to changes in labours comparative advantage.

yeah it's completely retarded, and the writer actually got sued for making shit up

>Automation
Why don't you explain it then, shitstick, instead of dangling knowledge over my head like some grade school bully, and acting like because I spent my time studying different things than you, that I'm somehow a shitty person.

P.S. I searched google for "declining prices due to automation will lead to changes in labours comparative advantage."

and found no results for that exact wording. I then removed the quotes and got people saying different things. So in the interests of confirming that you aren't just regurgitating nonsense, and enforcing your credibility through haughty use of laughingcunts.jpg,

I ask that you defend and explain yourself.

>$2.99
>European adapter

Yoo stay away frum our wummen

By the way. I never said they all deserved to die. I just said they were all shitheads.

Gen. Lee was a shithead for defending slavery. I get that there's historical context to take into account, but even by then the inhumanity of slavery had been debated for 80+ years. Nobody was innocent or under the illusion that it was a purely economic war.

I have a fairly conservative friend who actually thinks all the leaders plantation owners, and slave traders in the south should have been executed immediately after the war.

I've tried to tell him how tyrannical and anti-American that is, not to mention that innocent slave traders who were secretly working for emancipation would also potentially be executed, not to mention that the South would have continued fighting if things went that way, not to mention the rage of the aristocratic plantation families left behind without fathers would have rallied people for a second Civil war.

He doesn't seem to care. So there's different levels of reasonability and unreasonability you encounter when talking about this stuff, some of it even from surprising places.

Quasi free slaves were also a popular thing. Not all slaves were cotton pickers singing soul music in the fields. Their masters rented them out for all sorts of work ranging from blacksmithing to bricklaying.

They do. For it's blood and gore and conservatives are into high octane violence kino.

>People are on average better educated than they've ever been. There's also a lot more people, so we've probably got a larger population of fucking idiots than ever before.

The irony, at least in my estimation, is that the higher education people have the more inclined they are to be vicious ideologues it seems to me.

The meme before was that extremism and terrorism was caused by people who were less off than everyone else, and if you just spread the wealth around it would stop, which is incredibly naive.

Even the 9/11 hijackers were college educated.

>I have a fairly conservative friend who actually thinks all the leaders plantation owners, and slave traders in the south should have been executed immediately after the war.

then he isn't conservative or educated on american history, there was nothing illegal about owning slaves prior to the 13 amendment. A lot of unionists also owned slaves. In fact, one of the major reasons southern unionists sought to stay in the union was out of fear that a civil war would end slavery.

>the most enlightened and peaceful age in all of history

"Enlightened" is subjective, but this is literally the most peaceful era, by far. Sorry regressives.

who cares we'll all be dead and with some luck they will be too

Because there isn't a difference between New York City and a hut in the Congo, right?

How is the contemporary world peaceful? The past century was one long war.

I know.
Doesn't make it right, corndog. Even the most racist Americans I know preach the necessity of economic freedom and being able to work who you want for.

He is conservative. I like how you think you can decide what someone else's ideology is based on one thing you heard about them.

> there was nothing illegal about owning slaves prior to the 13 amendment, etc.

No shit, sherlock. Doesn't make it an injustice that needed to be stomped out and the primary motive for the civil war (as attested to in documents of secession from many states, most notably Texas)

See pic related, I don't give a shit how legal it was. :^)

>see pic related

said by a slave owner whose grandsons fought for the confederacy.... My point is he is not conservative if he is wants to violently punish those of an existing social order through unconstitutional acts. The only people who advocated those things during the time were called "radicals" for a reason. You're friend isn't a conservative.

Does it suck being a solipsistic when you're this huge an asshole?