Forgive me

I have theological questions

So Satan and God didn't get along so he sent Satan to hell right? But now Satan runs the place right?

My question is, if Satan's original issue was defying God and he was cast down for this... why would Satan keep hell to God's specifications? Why not compete with God's market of heaven and turn hell into a fun park? I mean, you don't like the guy you aren't going to walk his dog for him, you know?

Does this mean Satan, by running hell the way God intends, is sucking up to God, trying to make it back into heaven? Doesn't this mean Satan has some good in his heart? Does this not detract from the badness of hell?

And what of the punishment? If an eye for an eye is used then why would anyone fear hell? Being raped once for a single rape you committed and then being done with your punishment is honestly not that intimidating. But then, why is an eternity of hell so talked about, when the bible says God does not punish more than the sins you commited? Then how do you explain things like the great flood?

Other urls found in this thread:

fringechan.org/library/src/1456411474807-1.pdf
livescience.com/53928-religious-leaders-trip-for-science.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is a scholarly board based on reasonable discussion where we focus on humanities. If you want to talk about the paranormal, there's a board for that.

Basically, Satan despises humans because we are gods creation, and god loves us more than him. Satan then starts sinning because of the hatred and disobeying god, so God sent him to hell. Satan then uses hell in order to torture those who get out of the true path and all of that.

He just really hates us. A LOT.

The bible is a very common topic on this board
I have heard from theologists that Hell is punishment for Satan too, and this implies that he is not in control of hell at all and is suffering just like anyone else there. This would make his ability to tempt us to sin very inrealistic in my mind. I have also heard that hell does not punish anyone including Satan until judgement day comes.

Unrealistic*

Is it wrong to apply human ideas to Gods?

To me it seems humans can over come Gods, in heaven and hell, suffering is non-materialistic. However, what were to happen if a man was able to bring materialism into these realms? Would he not create a value that is out of Gods control? It is unlike God to control emotions, so these people would be just like on earth, in love with the xbox. How does God compensate the humans will to tinker? How can a will to tinker with reality be discouraged in heaven without detracting from the idea of heaven?

yes, shitposting is very common. this Veeky Forums, not bible study. This discussion is not appropriate here, take it where it is- that simple. Must you intrude where you don't belong.

Discussing the bible falls under humanities.
Discussing theology falls under humanities.

I am an Atheist and I am perfectly okay with discussing these things on Veeky Forums

When I am sick of discussing those things I go into history threads instead.

Philosophy, science, history and religion are all inter-related.
Thanks.

of course it doesnt you fuckwit. Discussing the historicity of biblical events and the impact of theology on history yes. Discussing the stories as if they are true no fucking shit is not humanities, what world do you live in?

*tips fedora*

You're telling me that a scholarly discussion can be had on this thread topic? Can a person be this dense?

shitposters shitpost i guess donno where the fuck you are and when someone points it out you tip the fedora lol

no one gives two shits what you're ok with. This board is a humanites board. God's intentions for satan is not a humanities discussion. Have you all gone fucking mad.

yes, and if I started talking about science here I should be told to gtfo because there's a fucking science board. This is not a board to talk about satan or god's intentions. One cannot come to any conclusion in this area through scholarly standards, which is what humanities is. There are many scholarly religious boards here that are perfectly acceptable. This kind of shit is far from.

Source on image, please. Is that patriarch baptizing the dolphins?

*threads not boards

It is called philosophy. Socrates would be so ashamed of you.

OP here. I am CLEARLY asking philosophical questions about biblical theory. Are you so braindead that you cannot tell that interpretation of religion is philosophy, and asking the opinions of others is DEFINATELY philosophy?

You autistic bitches.

if you had a philosophical question about UFOs, you go to /x/. You wanna know how satan manages hell, even /x/ will ask you what the fuck you're doin there, let alone fucking Veeky Forums. I cannot believe I am discussing something this with a grown man, this blows my mind.

this is not a philosophy board, otherwise literally anything would go as long as the discussion was logical. Literally every board by definition is a philosophy board in that we theorize logically with eachother.

This is a HUMANITIES and HISTORY board. God's demands for how hell should be run is not a humanities topic fuckn lol.

In principle, what scholarly sources can be provided to support one claim over another? It's literally whatever the fuck you wanna believe. It is not appropriate for this board, period. It's also fucking obvious, it's just your head is shoved way too far up your ass

>implying a debate about what is philosophical isnt itself a philosophical debate and thusly 4D humanities

Veeky Forums will never learn

"philosophical debate" is any discussion based on logic. By this standard, every board on Veeky Forums except for those that encourage shitposting is a philosophical board.

In each board, we "philosophize" about particular topics. This is not the board where we philosophize about the intentions of supernatural entities, even if historically people believed it to be true. If you wanted to talk about the impact of these beliefs on history, by all means.

Paranormal discussion belongs on /x/. Topics which in principle can be approached via the scholarly method belong here. This topic in no way can, and so in no way belongs here.

Google the scholarly method and prove me wrong, otherwise get the FUCK out

btw, I am not even saying the comments should reflect the scholarly method, but just that the topic in principle can be approached this way.

The length of your reply doesn't hide the fact that the bible is a historical document and should be studied intensely and the details argued over. You cannot hide this regardless of your reply. Stop showing your bias to intellectualism. I am OP and I am an atheist. I simply wanted to find a historians analysis on these particular opinions. You are an intellectual fraud for refusing to address the original post and instead choosing to prove why you should not have to.

> I am OP and I am an atheist
Yeah first off you're lying but wtv we'll get passed that. It doesn't matter who you are, what matters is whether the topic of your thread is appropriate for the board you posted it in.

>You are an intellectual fraud for refusing to address the original post and instead choosing to prove why you should not have to.
I am not addressing a topic that is not appropriate for its given board. And to comment that it is not appropriate is an attempt at intellectual honesty.

>Stop showing your bias to intellectualism
really??? really?????

Also, I've read the Bible about a dozen times and it does not provide the information to answer your question. Almost everything that addresses this is found in Church tradition. So it is doubly not humanities.

Your thread doesn't belong here, and it's incredibly obvious.

You know what provides the answers to my question? PHILOSOPHY.

I am not lying, by the way.

Philosophy will always be a himanity. If you have an issue request that the mods change the name of the board. Until then, put things up your ass.

Hey.
I'm the guy you were responding to.
I looked into it.
You were correct.
My bad.e

are you trolling kid? I said like three times EVERY BOARD IS PHILOSOPHICAL lmfao read first post later

whoa. thank you, that was impressive of you

eh, two minutes of my life.
i *try* not to struggle and be stubborn when I'm not sure of the truth.

fukin christ humanities is not just anything philosophical are you serious? Humanities is a scholarly pursuit, and as such is founded on the scholarly method in much the same way as science is founded on the scientific method.

Metaphysical claims lie outside the scope of science because it cannot be addressed via its method. In the same way, theological matters lie outside the scope humanities because they cannot be addressed with the scholarly method.

>Why not compete with God's market of heaven and turn hell into a fun park?

he kinda did, if you consider hell and heaven a metaphore for superlative states of earth

this place is heaven in many regards and hell in equally many,

>satanic fun park

fringechan.org/library/src/1456411474807-1.pdf

if this comment doesn't blatantly prove my point than you're all hopeless

0/10
Try harder

Interesting that God allows Satan to tempt us to follow Satan into a place God created

You do realise heaven and hell is just a archaic description of a post mortem induced hallucination (DMT)

if you have done a bunch of things you are ashamed of and have many unresolved issues in your life and if you struggle it the entire way refusing to accept your death and cling to your ego its going to be very much like hell (commonly known as a bad trip)

on the other hand if you accept your fate let go of the past and any issues that you could not resolve, you will most likely drift peacfully into that dark nigth

the tibetan book of the dead implies this, it also says the farther you are from your death without accepting it the more hellish it becomes
i.e the longer you refuse your fate the worse it becomes

ofc this is speculation since i havent died yet (not the post mortem hallucination part thats legit ofc there migth be more to the experince a spiritual part so to speak)

What did he say wrong?

He is making an honest attempy at proving philosophy is not humanities, using his opinion, or as you could describe... his philosophy on humanities. It is inherently flawed. The linguistics are simply wrong. You cannot censor these threads without changing the title of this board.

>You do realise heaven and hell is just a archaic description of a post mortem induced hallucination (DMT)

I think heaven and hell might also be descriptions of the experience of manic psychosis.

We are more or less trying to make sense of what the bible is trying to say, because obviously it doesn't make much sense.

>I think heaven and hell might also be descriptions of the experience of manic psychosis.

or there could be underlying spiritual teachings to it, since you know its actually part of a religion

>We are more or less trying to make sense of what the bible is trying to say,

Yeah good luck with that mate
as a wise man once said
>the only place you can find god is within

so mabey do some soul searching instead of searching for sens in something that dosent make sens

>or there could be underlying spiritual teachings to it, since you know its actually part of a religion

I actually meant no disrespect, and the ideas regardless of their origin have had a huge influence. But in terms of explaining not just one particular conception of heaven and hell, but a possible mechanism which gives rise to different individual 'visions' of what heaven and hell are/might be based on.

>tfw nobody answered OP because they have too much autism and cant debate over something they think is false

Do you even into the socratic method

See the Orthodox conception of hell, it simplifies all this drastically

Could you give me a crash course?

Heaven and hell are not separate realms, but two different experiences of being hyperconscious of God's love sustaining your being. When you love God, it is light, bliss. When you are enmity, or ashamed before God, it is fire. These aren't separate "realms" (Ephesians 6:12 describes dark forces as being in heaven), just different experiences of the same state.,

But the title isn't philisophy, it's history and humanities. That's a very specific type of philosophy. Theology might be a philosophy, but it doesn't necessarily use the scholarly method. This seems pretty straightforward. This thread is obviously out of place here

Hell is not separation from God, just the opposite (Hebrew 12:29)

The socratic method isn't the scholarly one you dumb fuck. The people not addressing the topic do so because it is out of place in this board. Just because you think it's philosophical does not fucking mean it's a humanity. Humanities follow the scholarly method, this thread topic is well outside that parameter. Pretty easy concept.

It isn't because in Orthodox theology, Hell is how sinners will experience the love of God.

Kinda like when getting anally raped without lubricant

Humanities don't imply scholarly. Scholarly is a VERY relative term. You guys just have dildos up your asses.

Could this imply a psychopath that believes he is acting in Gods will can kill all we wants and still be entitled to heaven? Does this not imply reading the bible gives you the guilt that places you in hell?

And whats your point exactly?

Correct, revelation is normally not part of the humanities, but it is sort of grandfathered in via theology.

the answer depends on which version of jewish fan fiction you read. according to the mormons satan didnt want men to have free will so they would all be saved, jesus thought free will is somehow better so hes responsible for all the non believers.

Question: does god provide equal suffering to sin or greater or lesser?
I have a hard time believing raping a rapist will make him viable for heaven

>Could this imply a psychopath that believes he is acting in Gods will can kill all we wants and still be entitled to heaven?
No, because his wickedness will laid before him and his shame will cause agony.

Dante said, referencing this (though obviously the Catholic hell is very different), that the more perfect a being is, the greater the capacity for both joy and suffering..

I knew what you ment and i took no offence, i just wasent sure you understood that there is underlying spirtual messages in the concept of heaven and hell

> but a possible mechanism which gives rise to different individual 'visions' of what heaven and hell are/might be based on.

i agree with you, if you claim to have hade visions of hell/heaven and what its entails then you most likely hade a psychosis or you went and ate the wrong mushrooms if you catch my drift

Well under normal circumstances it probably wouldn't, but if the agony causes him contriteness and the greater pain is his realizing the pain he caused another, it would most likely help.

I'm keen to see the results of this study

livescience.com/53928-religious-leaders-trip-for-science.html

A psychopath implies he is not capable of understanding anothers pain. Are these people animals or something else? No level of torture will change them, torture will just make them lie.

This is correct. Feelings are not universial. It is possible to literally have a human that is incapable of feeling empathy. No amount of torture or explanation could change that, his brain's hardware is physically incapable of producing the concept.

Overall it seems what God expects out of the world is fundamentally contrary to how the world is designed. So either he is a faulty architect of the world or is not architect at all.

>A psychopath implies he is not capable of understanding anothers pain.
Psychopaths can understand other people feel pain.

I mean no disrespect but on occasion they dont. It is a mercy or angel complex where they believe they are helping the people they torment.

No, they can. They can understand other beings suffer.

Either way, you're looking at this from a purely materialist perspective. No one will be a psychopath or have any other psychological disorder at Kingdom Come.

Let's say I have a disorder, and this order is fundmentally what make me who I am. All of my friends and family know this about me and it is what they relate to.

What you are saying is when I get to heaven, the real me will die and be replaced with a copy missing key parts of my personality.

How is my family going to act around this fake me? Or will they be replaced with fake copies as well?

What disorder are you referring to?

Not sure what I have.

The point is that if God just snaps his fingers and alter's someone's mind that person is now a fundamentally different person.

You've already said that it will happen in some cases. This also means the soul is not eternal. Something eternal would not be able to be changed. I don't buy it. In order for the soul to be eternal God would have to never change any soul, doing that is fundamentally killing the person and replacing them with a copy.

God merely lifts the veil of anything clouding your perception. If you can't perceive the pain of others acutely, he lifts that veil, if you are paranoid and under the veil of believing others are out to get you, he lifts that veil, and so on.

What you're saying is akin to saying that if you cure a clinical disorder, it's murder.

OP here, I am glad to have read this post. You took my place in the questioning of this tripfag and I am pleased with the results. I wont add any more until needed because I like this direction.

Someone explain to me why the hell religion is Veeky Forums related?
It's seriously the cancer of this board.

Well, retard, abrahmic religion by itself is directly related to the last 12,000 years of history. That doesnt even account for anything older than that. It is history. Please stop being autistic.

Literally everything is related to history.
I guess I can make a thread about anything since hurr durr it was in history.
When the OP goes from
>How did blank religion have an effect on history
to
>What does blank religion believe in or is this religion blank
It's no longer history you dumb shit.

You really should work on that autism.

It is always history. Ask the mods why they titled a board with a certain name and retards like you think it doesn't imply that name. There is a reason this thread hasnt been deleted.

Veeky Forums is also /rel/, if you care to read the sticky

>Hurr durr autism
Great argument.
There should be a religion board to take that shit to.
>Trip fag

Was it not God that have us this veil?

My catholic priest always told me god had a mold and the mold had a crack and thats how we had original sin but I have to wonder why God didnt fix the crack

I made a valid arguement and so did the trip fag

>trip fag
Thats worse than me saying you have autism, which you have a hard time denying

>Was it not God that have us this veil?
No, it's a product of sin.

This sounds like lobotomy and drugs. I used to take pills, they "lifted the veil" and a lot of people said it made me a better person. My boyfriend hated it, so did I, because I had fundamentally become someone different. That's why I stopped taking them.

What you are telling me is that when you get to heaven everyone gets a labatomy, no choice involved. My boyfriend will probably have his own pills too. So I guess neither of us would ask questions or complain.

>Defending a tripfag
>Calls others autistic
Amazing.

There's an Authorian legend where one of the Knights falls in love with a married women. Both the woman and the man acknowledge their relationship is built on sin but they choose hell over being separated.

Even simplier than that have you ever heard someone in love say "I like your flaws"?

Leave thread.
From the earliest ages I can remember(about 4) I had no understanding of family and felt no connection. I would become confused when people cried over tragic events.

This brings a good question. Two evil people are in love. They have never felt love before until they met. Will God take their love because it is a product of their sin?

Sure. Some people are even outright attracted to cruelty, and find abuse arousing.

Consider fasting. Fast helps with tenderness of heart, provided you fast for that reason. You don't have to forgo food altogether, but forgo oils, meats, fish, dairy, alcohol, and so on, health permitting, and try to stop eating before you feel full. If you combine this with the Jesus prayer at least a hundred times a night, it might help.

I have done ramadan before with an arab friend and I fast every easter with my family

Honey, they're ignoring your psychosis because they're so petty that they'd rather see you be religious than helped.

You aren't addressing the point. Two people can base their life around each other, to the point where what it fundmentally means to be "you" is being attached to another person.

Than you'd come around and say that God is going to "fix" you by removing the very things that you two attracted to each other. You will have different personalities, different taste, different feelings, and ultimately you will end up being two different people.

It really make humans sound like defective robots. They spend all this time learning who you are, developing yourself. Than they get all their wiring changed, install a patch on you and become someone else when they get to the next world. No Free will, everyone becomes a robot.

I don't buy it. This isn't how a God would work. I'm not exactly sure what the truth is but I know you're wrong.

>Two people can base their life around each other, to the point where what it fundmentally means to be "you" is being attached to another person.
No, this is ridiculous and no one would suggest this. Imagine if you committed a crime,and in a court of law you say, "Ah, but I didn't exist then, because I didn't exist until I screwed my friend's wife behind his back."

I don't know what you mean by different tastes, you will simply be more knowledgeable. If you are terrible at reading German, your taste in German literature will be different than if you gain total knowledge of German, that doesn't make you a different person, that's bald hyperbole. Our tastes and interests and personalities are always changing, from one day to the next, and a serious relationship is taking into account that people aren't static; and if you build your relationship on the premise that people are, it won't last.

No relationships last under that logic. Only as a duty do they last under that logic. Where is the love then?

Yes everything does change, but it changes naturally here and what's more each change is done of your own free will. What you are talking, lifting the veil, is not a natural proggression. It's lobotomy. The only point where free-will comes into play is when choose between going to heaven and taking the pills or staying out.

The relationship with my boyfriend was built in the premise that I develop from what I AM, from what he liked. Having a lobotomy that changes you into something different is not natural development.

>But now Satan runs the place right?
No satan gets tortured in hell

If two gay men love each other and die. Will God make them straight when they get to heaven?

By whom? God?

Nobody in hell is being tortured right now. Only when judgement day comes will the people in hell suffer. This is not in line with the orthodox idea that hell and heaven are related to your emotions toward god, as this would have immediate effect.

So what happens in hell?

As far as I know it is holding until judgement day

I sense an unwelcome presence here...

Veeky Forums needs tags & flags.

Real love is two things: selfless and unconditional.

How is it a lobotomy? It simply means that which a person didn't know or see before, they now know and see.

That's that Plato shit? People only do wrong out of ignorance?

You think people that do cruel things are not aware of it, or what it's effects are? I am perfectly aware that I have less empathy than other people. The thing is what you call 'sinful nature' is actually human nature, it's a fundmental part of people. You couldn't get rid of except by re-wiring it. They already have the "knoweldge".

You do realize there are some people literally wired to be able to kill other humans with no remorse, or even with absolute joy? They know exactly what they are doing, it's what comes naturally to them. People like this belong in the marines. No new knowledge will change that they are born killers and born to love it. They were made this way by their Creator.

That's how a lot of personality "flaws" are, you can't change it with knowledge, and it's fundamentally what makes "you", into "you".

>So Satan and God didn't get along so he sent Satan to hell right? But now Satan runs the place right?
Nobody really runs hell per-say. Hell is a state of being, a state of mind, a "you ain't seeing God." Satan was the first guy to go to it for leading his band of Angels.
>But then, why is an eternity of hell so talked about, when the bible says God does not punish more than the sins you commited?
It means you're not seeing God.

God is supposed to omnipresent. This logically means you must always see God.

>People only do wrong out of ignorance?
No, they don't feel God permeating them out of ignorance.

>The thing is what you call 'sinful nature'
Our nature isn't sinful. Our tendency is to sin, but that's a bit different.

>They know exactly what they are doing
And they willfully choose enmity with God anyhow, and that is why they suffer hell.