Why is Hannibal Barca held in such higher regard than pic related?

Why is Hannibal Barca held in such higher regard than pic related?
Dispite his decisive victorys he failed to devise a conquering stratagem.
Who do you think is the greater general Veeky Forums? Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Carthage-Must-Be-Destroyed-Civilization-ebook/dp/B004IYJEB0?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hannibal was a better tactician, a better commander. Scipio was the better strategist, the better general. Hannibal wins battles, Scipio wins wars.

As to why Scipio isn't as famous as Hannibal, I can think of two reasons.

1) Everybody loves the tragic brilliant general. For all of Hannibal's victories, he lost in the end
2) The Romans perhaps purposefully overblew just how brilliant the guy was, to make having defeated him glorify Rome all the more

If Scipio had faced Hannibal in Italy human history would have been written very differently. Scipio was just a roman cuck too afraid to face him. Hannibal did the unthinkable

That's how pop history works. There's a lot of famous roman generals. There's only one famous carthaginian general. So Scipio will always be in the shadow of Caesar and others while nobody is there to shadow Hannibal.

Hannibal will always be remembered as the greater general. For many a reasons

Ha ha.
Come at me barbarian scum.

>Scipio is a way better general because he won one battle
>b-but you can't hold waterloo against napoleon! He lost all his good men in russia!

Can't have it both ways roman autists

those are greeks

>phrygian cap pattern macedonian helmets
>linothorax
>macedonian imagery on shields
>reek of gay

possibly alexander or seleucus' dudes

He is often regarded as one of the greatest generals and military strategists of all time more so than Napoleon. Scipio always acted only as the result of reasoned foresight and worked on men's superstitions in a calculating manner.

Truly the Ulysses S Grant to Hannibal's Robert E Lee

The Carthage Council of Elders were Hannibal's worst enemies, not Scipio. If they weren't actively trying to cockblock him, Rome would be fucked.

I think you are mistaken

It's argued that Hannibal had more support from his state then Scipio did when he proposed invading africa to the senate. He spent more than a year in Sicily training and building an army consisting partly of volunteers

Was Mussolini literally Scipio's son?

Benito mussolini? What are you trying to say

Shit, my bad. Heres a better one.

WE WUZ

Not actually the rulers of Carthage merely it's most important general.

Just spitballing, would they have been better off if he had been the ruler of Carthage? The council in Carthage was (from what I've heard) his biggest setback. Would he have been better off if he had had a consul-like position?

Hannibal was an excellent statesman, after the war the man for example introduced revolutionary agricultural reform. Partly due to Hannibal's reforms Rome feared that Carthage might become a threat again, some Rome increased sanctions and demanded Hannibal be turned over.

But during the war I very much doubt he would be in any way able to rule Carthage. since you know, he was in Italy for like nearly the entire war.

Oops meant to reply to you with te comment above.

They literally look the same.

Yeah, the younger version did a bit

Scipio is seen as a better general, because he made the Romans look like fool in a couple battle. But, you have to keep in mind Romans thought like the greeks. hur dur real men fight 1v1 no odds against each other. But he also didn't want to destroy Rome, and just wanted to make inferior to Carthage. If he just marched on Rome and seiged the city, the world would have been different

what are the best book for learning more about scipio and hannibal? both together and individually

amazon.com/Carthage-Must-Be-Destroyed-Civilization-ebook/dp/B004IYJEB0?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect

Carthage was destined to fail, the Romans destined to win. Hannibal still went against the odds and gained three monumental victories against the Romans in the process. Zama, Scipio's greatest victory, was pretty much called before it even happened.

kek

I can feel it in Hispania, I can feel it at Zama