When I think that the world is going to shit, is that just how everyone feels in all time periods, 100 years ago...

When I think that the world is going to shit, is that just how everyone feels in all time periods, 100 years ago, did they think the world was going to shit, and a century or generation before that? Is this time any different then those other times where it turned out that the world did not actually go to shit?

Like for instance, I don't like globalization, but is it even worth fighting against it? What is the point because history shows that progress will happen.. is it inevitable?

Directly fighting it and denying it will happen is futile, but you can try and shape it to something more to your liking.

>celebating readiness
>somehow the whole system failed on 9/11

You can ar least lay out the possibilities in which it will manofest, just as there were different ways countries dealt with industrialisation.

What sort of globalization are you talking about?

Just build a log house in the forests when shit gets rough and retreat from the civilization

Yep, across history everyone was crying how the next generation is dumb and will be the ruin of the world and everything will end. Meh. I'm no psychologist, but I think it's because the majority of people can't accept that there will be a world and humanity after they themselves die. It's a foreign concept to them, they think everything should totally end with them.

Some group, of course, has always thought the world was going to shit, but there were also plenty of times in history where the majority thought the world was on an upswing - or at least the aristocracy did. The roaring 20's, the golden age of X, the height of the overseas empires. Not everyone was happy, obviously, but some people were ecstatic.

It is true that, pretty much since Constantine, the bulk of Christianity, and a few other religions, have always been convinced that the apocalypse was going to happen within their lifetimes though. This seems to be true even when the majority of them think things are going well. The final judgement is always right around the corner, it's just a matter of whether you're going to run for cover or make a toast to it.

(Granted, you get art like this more often, when things are shit.)

No it's not. The world didn't start with us and it won't end with us, we aren't special little snowflakes. Apocalyptic preaching always amounts to nothing. 150 years ago people thought we would be neck deep in horse dung and black from coal fires by now, for example.

Hell, remember how people thought computers give some harmful radiation or mobile phones cause cancer?

sick burn dawg. cause the us navy is responsible for intercepting civilian airlines

The world is shit. This is a fact.

But the world is about how you enjoy your shit. Some people enjoy their shit with sprinkles, some enjoy it with cool whip, and some enjoy it with some rank stuff that make it worse.

tl:dr Get your life to the point you like and stop worrying about the next generation and last generation. The world is what it is.

I wonder if the idea of certain time periods being better, relatively, is actuall true or if it's all nothing more than misplaced romantic nostalgia for a bygone era? Like I think of, say, 18th century Prussia (or mainly Berlin) and the flourishing of art, education, culture and the like and there's a part of it that seems appealing even though life would've sucked if I was poor (as it always has) and you'll always have disease or a great big war to contend with.

Someone, somewhere, always has it shit of course, but when the majority of the literature of a certain era says things are wonderful, describes it as the "golden age of mankind" or some shit, something must be going right... At least among those who can write.

Some examples for you:
Holy fuck, half the city is dead from the plague!
Holy fuck, more than a quarter of the german peoples are dead!
Holy fuck, the whole world is at war!
Holy fuck, the whole world is at war - again!
Holy fuck, we're only a few mistakes away from global thermonuclear annihilation!

In comparison to this, a bunch of angry muslims and white demographic concerns rate pretty low on the threat scale. Hell, there's actually less terrorism going on in Europe than a few decades ago, it's just that now it's brown furriners doing it instead of homegrown terrorists.

Instead of constantly angsting about how everything is going to shit, it's better to look at look at all the things that are going the right way and resolve that we can still do better.

Nah man Napoleon was one dude who changed history forever.

Trump could go full /pol/ for example reshape europe.

Biggest fallacy that ever was
>oh well it's inevitable might as well let it be

One day you and me will be nothing but dust, but should we lie down and perish like dogs?

Well, unless you're willing to send the world into a new dark age where global transportation is no longer a thing...

...Though it is true, it doesn't have to be happening as fast as it's happening. Certainly there's plenty of room to mitigate it... But eventually, we're all gonna look like Filipinos.

>The final judgement is always right around the corner, it's just a matter of whether you're going to run for cover or make a toast to it.

Aye, but now we're literally a button press away from total annihilation

>But eventually, we're all gonna look like Filipinos
>extrapolating racial demographic trends 100 years into the future
>implying asians won't disown their children for marrying foreigners

"no"

Not necessarily. People are naturally racist and xenophobic, and miscegenators have always been a minority, in any race

Yeah, but you only need a fraction that isn't, and that fraction will always exist. When natural land barriers no longer exist, it's only a matter of time. (To say nothing of the increasingly unified culture, thanks to everyone selling their movies to everyone else at will.)

Maybe if you blow off enough of the atmosphere so that flight isn't possible, and everyone has to live in pressurized tanks...

I was thinking more tens of thousands of years, barring political trends like the one we're seeing in Europe making it happen a lot faster.

>Yeah, but you only need a fraction that isn't, and that fraction will always exist
And usually that fraction is discriminated against, and keep with their own kind.

>increasingly unified culture
Absolutely not. Nationalism is on the rise not just in Europe, but all across the world

>tens of thousands of years
You mean colonizing space? Because that's the only way we'll last that long.
Tell me, do you honestly believe Aboriginal Australians or Khoisan have the capacity for spacefaring?

The cultural influence, for better or worse, has been mostly in the other direction. Western media is extremely pervasive in every corner of the world, thus much of that idealism continues to spread.

If we colonize space, then we have the chance for racial purity to happen all over again.

Granted, it won't be the same racial purity... Nine foot tall low-gravity bred genetically engineered guys with huge heads screaming "Centauri Prime for the Centaurians!" will be a whole new repeat of the same old ball game.

>Because that's the only way we'll last that long

proofs?